Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford

Avatar

Posted: 8/21/2014 8:39 PM

Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2014-nfc-north-preview-megatron-200004105.html

If it has Lions in the headline I read the article. This is an interesting take on our QB.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 8:48 PM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


I use advanced stats except for the time when it doesn't advance my argument.

Funny how he doesn't extrapolate Stafford's 2009 numbers for a full season.

and ugh I am about to be dragged into a Stafford debate. I don't disagree with some of the stuff, his accuracy has always and will always be a question mark-from his time to UGA to now, though it would be nice if the new coaching staff tweaks him some. It is funny he mentions Matt Ryan and Andy Dalton...two QBs who play with elite WRs as well...mostly because we are in a golden age of WR play in the NFL.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/21/2014 9:17 PM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 9:18 PM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


The overall opinion does have some merit. The Lions need Stafford to up his game; if he doesn't, the Lions can't be much more than a playoff contender rather than a championship contender. I don't know that there is another NFL team with as many good offensive weapons as the Lions do. So the time is now and Stafford has to deliver.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/21/2014 9:20 PM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


Well if Paul Noonan sez so !! Who the F@CK is Paul Noonan!?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 9:39 PM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


Who the frick is this clown, Paul Noonan?

Found his Twitter...he's big time guys...537 followers!!
https://twitter.com/BadgerNoonan

Oh yeah, he lives in Chicago...

One of his latest tweets,
"Over @ acmepackingco I wrote about how Matthew Stafford is horrible and will doom the Lions. http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/8/21/6053605/packers-detroit-lions-preview-calvin-johnson-matthew-stafford …"


Guess Yahoo has sunk low enough to be publishing amateur hacks. Next week lionsfanfortyyears releases his world debut op-ed piece
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/21/2014 10:07 PM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


thank you btw. when I went to click the link button it didnt come up. i couldnt click on it. i dont know what was wrong. noidea
Winger2 wrote: http://sports.yahoo.com/news/2014-nfc-north-preview-megatron-200004105.html
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 10:33 PM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


Most Lions fans live in a bubble, this is how Stafford is perceived by most NFL fans. He is grossly overpaid and he has yet to deliver. He is Carson Palmer 2.0.. No wins, no Intestinal fortitude, just stats.

He better bare down and find some consistency this season.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/21/2014 11:10 PM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


Oh please, Stafford is a hyper-competitive QB. He wants to win and has shown he has intestinal fortitude contrary to what you think
iggy14 wrote: Most Lions fans live in a bubble, this is how Stafford is perceived by most NFL fans. He is grossly overpaid and he has yet to deliver. He is Carson Palmer 2.0.. No wins, no Intestinal fortitude, just stats.

He better bare down and find some consistency this season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/21/2014 11:34 PM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 



MJKlions88 wrote: Who the frick is this clown, Paul Noonan?

Found his Twitter...he's big time guys...537 followers!!
https://twitter.com/BadgerNoonan

Oh yeah, he lives in Chicago...

One of his latest tweets,
"Over @ acmepackingco I wrote about how Matthew Stafford is horrible and will doom the Lions. http://www.acmepackingcompany.com/2014/8/21/6053605/packers-detroit-lions-preview-calvin-johnson-matthew-stafford …"


Guess Yahoo has sunk low enough to be publishing amateur hacks. Next week lionsfanfortyyears releases his world debut op-ed piece
lmao!

 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/22/2014 12:35 AM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


There are many teams who would rather have matthew stafford in place than their starter.
Minnesota
Chicago
NY Giants
Washington
Dallas
Arizona
St. Louis
San Fran
Tampa Bay
Cleveland
Cincinnati
Miami
Buffalo
NY Jets
Jacksonville
Houston
Tennessee
Kansas City
Oakland

Maybes:
San Diego
Baltimore
Pittsburgh
Atlanta
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/22/2014 12:41 AM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


My thoughts is that Stafford was held back by Linehan and Schwartz.....Our Offense was so damn prediticable in the 2nd half of games Stafford had no choice to fail. I may be wrong and we should find out this season. I do not predict a mediocre season.. The Lions will go 12-4 and to the Super Bowl or they will finish 4-12 or worse,,, I have no clue.....But this team is setting up to be a total Surprise and kick everyones rear end or they will be a total failure...We should know in a couple months which way they are heading...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/22/2014 12:41 AM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 



It's because most fans of other teams don't watch him. In fact, most 'Experts' and columnists don't really watch him. There is no story here.

---------------------------------------------
--- iggy14 wrote:

Most Lions fans live in a bubble, this is how Stafford is perceived by most NFL fans. He is grossly overpaid and he has yet to deliver. He is Carson Palmer 2.0.. No wins, no Intestinal fortitude, just stats.

He better bare down and find some consistency this season.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/22/2014 12:52 AM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


Most of the article was just to jab at the lions in general and Stafford in particular.

I failed to see any point he was making here:

"If Calvin Johnson starts to decline or gets hurt, the Lions will quickly find themselves with a bottom-ten quarterback.
(really?)
Last year Johnson missed two games, both against bad defenses. The first was a 22-9 loss to the Packers in which Stafford threw for 262 yards and 1 TD with no interceptions The other game Johnson missed was against the Vikings in the last game of the season, a 14-13 loss in which Stafford threw for 217 yards, 1 TD and no picks."

I thought int's were a bad thing for a QB to do, but this guy criticizes him for not throwing any.eek1


Last edited 8/22/2014 12:52 AM by NeoLion

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/22/2014 1:06 AM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


Stafford is an elite QB. If I could pick any QB for this year only - Rodgers, Brady and Manning would be the only ones I would take over Stafford. If I had to take that QB for the next 3 years - Rodgers is the only guy I take over Stafford!

Stafford is the reason the Lions have a legitimate shot at winning the SB over the next 10 years. He is not overpaid at all and could have demanded a whole lot more and got it! Those of you that can't see elite QB talent - just enjoy this year as the Lions look like they have good quality and depth at the WR position!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/22/2014 6:53 AM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 




I actually like most of your posts but this list is wayyyy off. Youre overrating Stafford.
---------------------------------------------
--- colvin4prez wrote:

There are many teams who would rather have matthew stafford in place than their starter.
Minnesota- I'm not sure that theyd take Stafford over this years 1st, Teddy Bridgewater.
Chicago- Toss up, Stafford is younger.. Theyre the same player.
NY Giants- Eli has delivered 2 super bowls.. Stafford has 2 wins against winning teams.
Washington- Thy would probably stck with RG3.
Dallas-Romo is much better than Stafford..not even close,
Arizona- Yes, Stafford would start here
St. Louis- Stafford is an upgrade.
San Fran- He wouldn't start for Harbaugh, he is too soft.
Tampa Bay- He would start.
Cleveland- He would start. But, I doubt they'd trade Manziel for him.
Cincinnati- Dalton is very underrated, toss up.
Miami- I like Tannehill bur Stafford would probably start.
Buffalo- yes
NY Jets- yes
Jacksonville- doubt they would trade Bortles for Stafford
Houston- yes
Tennessee-yes
Kansas City- Not sure that Stafford is an upgrade from Smith.
Oakland- yes


Maybes:
San Diego- Rivers> Stafford.. Not even close
Baltimore Flacco delivered a superbowl with an 11-0 line 2 yearsago, yet Stafford is going to start over him?
Pittsburgh-This is hilarious.
Atlanta- Ryan> Stafford


---------------------------------------------

Last edited 8/22/2014 7:36 AM by iggy14

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/22/2014 7:13 AM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 





---------------------------------------------
--- JRLIONS wrote:

Stafford is an elite QB. If I could pick any QB for this year only - Rodgers, Brady and Manning would be the only ones I would take over Stafford. If I had to take that QB for the next 3 years - Rodgers is the only guy I take over Stafford!

Stafford is the reason the Lions have a legitimate shot at winning the SB over the next 10 years. He is not overpaid at all and could have demanded a whole lot more and got it! Those of you that can't see elite QB talent - just enjoy this year as the Lions look like they have good quality and depth at the WR position!

---------------------------------------------

You know how many GMs would take Stafford over Andrew Luck? Zero.

Last time I checked, Elite QBs don't throw 12 picks over a 6 game stretch run. Elite QBs aren't 30th in the league in comp %, elite QBs don't have a record of 24-38.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/22/2014 9:26 AM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 



JRLIONS wrote: Stafford is an elite QB. If I could pick any QB for this year only - Rodgers, Brady and Manning would be the only ones I would take over Stafford. If I had to take that QB for the next 3 years - Rodgers is the only guy I take over Stafford!

Stafford is the reason the Lions have a legitimate shot at winning the SB over the next 10 years. He is not overpaid at all and could have demanded a whole lot more and got it! Those of you that can't see elite QB talent - just enjoy this year as the Lions look like they have good quality and depth at the WR position!
Stafford is NOT an elite Quarterback nor do I think he is capable of being one but he could develop into a QB that is in the 2nd tier.
gkelly: Stafford can always put these together when the game is out of reach.  He's simply a fantasy football QB who racks up stats in garbage time.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/22/2014 9:40 AM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 



iggy14 wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- JRLIONS wrote:

Stafford is an elite QB. If I could pick any QB for this year only - Rodgers, Brady and Manning would be the only ones I would take over Stafford. If I had to take that QB for the next 3 years - Rodgers is the only guy I take over Stafford!

Stafford is the reason the Lions have a legitimate shot at winning the SB over the next 10 years. He is not overpaid at all and could have demanded a whole lot more and got it! Those of you that can't see elite QB talent - just enjoy this year as the Lions look like they have good quality and depth at the WR position!

---------------------------------------------

You know how many GMs would take Stafford over Andrew Luck? Zero.

Last time I checked, Elite QBs don't throw 12 picks over a 6 game stretch run. Elite QBs aren't 30th in the league in comp %, elite QBs don't have a record of 24-38.
Elite QBs do throw 5K yards and 41 TDs to 16 picks over a season though (actually a lot of elite qbs that have come through the NFL don't)

Through 9 games last year, he had a TD:INT ration of 19:7 with only 3 games with a QBR in the 80s (and one of those was 89.8).  You have to tell both sides of the story.  We've seen him do it for stretches, he just needs consistency, and like the rest of the team, discipline.

Curious Iggy, if you had to put a bet down now, what would you put his yards, TDs, INTs and Completion % at for this upcoming year?

Also worth noting:
Andrew Luck turns 25 on Sept 12
Russell Wilson turns 26 in November
Andy Dalton is 26, turns 27 in October
Colin Kaepernick turns 27 in November.
Matt is 26 through the entire season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/22/2014 10:11 AM

Re: Paul Noonan hates Matt Stafford 


Do you know WHY they wouldn't take Stafford?? NO it's not your blind hate for the guy......

and I'm going to state facts here.

The Detroit Lions had probably THEE WORST roster possible when Matt came to Detroit..

We were Constantly re-building and experimenting for YEARS trying to piece together some kind of decent team.

We had Calvin  period. and Matt who was injured his first TWO seasons.

In 2014 we STILL are an incomplete team  we have a handful of weak areas.

But BEFORE all those years Stafford couldn't impress and couldn't rack up as many QUALITY stats to BE close to the other QB's because we had scrubs, no running game, 1 good WR, and Fu^%$ing crap leadership....we never had a winning season EVER unless you want to count that playoff year WE ABSOLUTELY  lucked our way into.

you say how can I say we lucked into the playoffs??  easy because INSTEAD of proving we had "made it" that we were a winning franchise/team....INSTEAD of proving we were not a fluke, we choked the very next season and NEVER CAME CLOSE to a repeat.  we have had some  injuries, and players that 'never' became anything.

IN fact, we could NOT EVEN say we had a Wide Receiving unit........Calvin was-has ALWAYS been our # 1 Wide-out.  we never COULD say for a fact WHO our second best was, who our #3 is/was and so on

Matthew Stafford Suffered for it. INSTEAD of having  a  able RB pair or an able WR trio and good Leadership
Defense ect.. ect..  Matt's stats all  came off of what HE & CALVIN JOHNSON did   all the way until 2013 when the staff FINALLY put Reggie Bush with Joique Bell   THEN we had our FIRST effective Running duo that racked up some pretty decent numbers.

Stafford never had the good running yards, scores, receptions UNTIL 2013. to count.

AND to make matters worse- The Detroit Lions' Staff  ran the same plays, the same scheme, and had the same Matt Stafford to Calvin Offense for years to.

which made us SOOOO damn predictable-for a long time. It took 5 season of Staffords Career (so far) to even get able RB's Bush-Bell

so an epic ton of "would-be" numbers/stats - so Matt comes off now as "not that impressive"

OR not as impressive as he "could have been" over 3-4 years, had we had the talent "like we do now" and good Leadership.

Didn't help him all the dropped footballs and INT's  some of which were on Matt....either way, yards, points, just Lost. noidea
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >