Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Post New Topic
  Page of 11  Next >

Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows stunnin

Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 8:15 PM

Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows stunnin 


Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows stunning lack of courage

the good news for tony dungy is that once upon a time enough people in power, be it in football … education … government … wherever, decided that they should empower african-americans with the opportunities they deserved. they did this no matter whether things would go "totally smooth" or cause "things to happen" with the bigots who wanted to cling to the old days.

at some point they said someone such as dungy deserved to go to school with white people, play football with white people, even coach football like white people once exclusively did, even at the highest levels of the nfl. they rejected the ancient concept that blacks either weren't deserving/capable of such opportunities. even more important, they ignored the idiotic idea that until every last racist was completely and wholly comfortable with a black man playing, learning or working alongside them (let alone be the boss) then such opportunity should continue to be withheld.

the smartest people pushed the dumbest aside and decided to just let the best person win.

view gallery .

michael sam is trying to make the roster with the rams as a seventh-round draft pick. (ap)

and tony dungy won. from high school in jackson, mich., to college at the university of minnesota, to the nfl as both a super bowl-winning player and coach. it continued as a best-selling author, coveted and highly compensated speaker and now high-profile analyst on nbc, front and center on the no. 1 television show in america.

despite all of that, dungy decided to throw gasoline on the training camp story of the year by telling the tampa tribune that unlike the st. louis rams, he never would have drafted michael sam, the nfl's first openly homosexual player, because someone (who, he didn't say) might not handle it so well.

"i wouldn't have taken him,'' dungy told the tribune. "not because i don't believe michael sam should have a chance to play, but i wouldn't want to deal with all of it … it's not going to be totally smooth … things will happen.''

this thinking is devoid of courage – in every possible way. and that's what makes this so pathetic.

dungy has a well-earned reputation as a straight shooter and a stand-up guy. it's almost impossible to play and work in the nfl without self-belief and heart. he is a powerful figure. he says a lot of smart things. he knows tough times and consistently finds time for people going through them.

he should be a lot better than this.

dungy is an outspoken conservative christian and if he were to say that he wouldn't have drafted michael sam because the bible that dungy believes in condemns sam's lifestyle that would be … well, that would be ridiculous, hypocritical and wrong also, but at least it would seemingly jibe with dungy's sometimes expressed beliefs.

Sometimes being the operative word.

Dungy, is, after all, a guy who has drafted, hired, signed, coached, championed and personally mentored scores of players and coaches who routinely engaged in Biblical definitions of sin, let alone behavior that goes against modern societal standards. He was (rightfully) a huge proponent, for instance, of Michael Vick deserving a second chance after incarceration for the operation of a dog-fighting ring.

Still, at least it would be some kind of principled (if misguided) stance. At least it would've been honest.

This is actually worse. This is a complete cop-out. This is Dungy bending to the beliefs that he knows are wrong simply because those who hold them may – may – find doing the right thing difficult.

This is Dungy not standing up for his own convictions. It's Dungy using the same old buzzwords that caused society to move so slowly to grant equal rights and opportunities to minorities of all kinds, choosing what's easy over what's right (even if it likely will be easier for the generation of guys who actually play than an old man like Dungy realizes).

Integrated third grades weren't "smooth." A black man on the Dodgers caused "things to happen." The first female executives in the business world weren't welcome by all. Lots of people were aghast at the thought of minorities owning homes, especially in their neighborhood. Politicians that didn't look like the Founding Fathers were upsetting to some. Many bristled against the idea of blacks, Hispanics, Asians, women, gays, whatever on factory lines, boardrooms, school boards and on military front lines.

This isn't even worth arguing. Caving to the most ignorant and obstinate among us is an embarrassment and should never, ever, be the basis for anything. Ever.

For an NFL executive to not draft an openly gay player because someone in his locker room or fan base or anywhere might – might – not handle it so well is some kind of Jim Crow-era awful.

The good news for everyone other than Tony Dungy is that Tony Dungy doesn't draft players or coach players anymore. Dungy merely talks for a living and this week he'll deal with the reaction to his talking – there will be plenty of criticism, not to mention support via tortured straw man arguments, political opportunism and misguided admiration.

This isn't about politics though. This isn't about religion. This isn't about what anyone thinks of Michael Sam. This is about Tony Dungy sadly acknowledging he'd care more about someone's narrow mindedness than his own realization that everyone deserves a fair shot.

Mercifully Dungy is from the old NFL mindset rooted in a dying segment of society, like those who once wouldn't draft, hire, educate or vote for an African-American. Fortunately there are more than enough coaches, executives, players, fans and people these days who think otherwise.

So Michael Sam will report to training camp this week. If he can play, he will play. If he can't, he won't.

Seems reasonable.

Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 8:41 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 


I agree with tony look if this was a no. one pick talent it would be different but a circus and distractions for a 7th rnd pick no thx .Youre trying to win and a distractive 7th rnd talent isnt smart imo.

Posted: 7/21/2014 9:09 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 



I bet it was a distraction having Jackie Robinson on the team as well.  It's just not as convenient for Tony to be empathetic in this particular case, because it goes against his Christian values.

It was the right thing to do to give Robinson the opportunity to play.  Sam deserves the same.

Tony is a good person, but he he just showed himself as being simple, and naive.  Either way, it was a dumb statement.

I no longer feel as good about his Cladwell recommendation...
King70 wrote: I agree with tony look if this was a no. one pick talent it would be different but a circus and distractions for a 7th rnd pick no thx .Youre trying to win and a distractive 7th rnd talent isnt smart imo.
"Mayhew was a bad GM last year. He was a bad GM the year before that.He's been a bad GM his whole career. I don't think anybody would be surprised if I thought he was a bad GM".

Dan Orlovsky on Martin Mayhew. Detroit Free Press, 2.21.09
Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 9:18 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 


There's an ALL-PRO Safety that has been, for lack of a better word, "blacklisted".. or is believed to have been ever since rumors surfaced that he was gay.

*Clue.. he played his last game in 2012 before the age of 30.


Any guesses?




*Suh,Megatron,Best,Broyles*

Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 9:24 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 



BarrySandersAllTimeBest wrote:
I bet it was a distraction having Jackie Robinson on the team as well.  It's just not as convenient for Tony to be empathetic in this particular case, because it goes against his Christian values.

It was the right thing to do to give Robinson the opportunity to play.  Sam deserves the same.

Tony is a good person, but he he just showed himself as being simple, and naive.  Either way, it was a dumb statement.

I no longer feel as good about his Cladwell recommendation...
King70 wrote: I agree with tony look if this was a no. one pick talent it would be different but a circus and distractions for a 7th rnd pick no thx .Youre trying to win and a distractive 7th rnd talent isnt smart imo.
And jackie was pretty damn good right .It is what it is if you think the guy is worth the distraction take him but to not take the distraction into account when that is youre job is stupid.Its not a coaches job to change the world its his job to do what helps his team win .Same deal with tebow or guys with charicter concerns .Screw pc gimmie a pic based on how it helps and hurts my team .

Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:00 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 


This coming from the same guy who constantly praised Tim Tebow?
I usually love Dungy, and I don't really disagree with him in this situation.  It's just as possible the opposite here could've happened.
But Dungy probably should've stayed away from this topic.

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:10 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 


I'm glad someone has the balls to speak freely in this super PC world we live in today. He didn't say anything wrong. He just said he wouldn't have taken Sam.

I have no idea what this has to do with Jackie Robinson or integrating schools. It's not like he said "if we played Sam, I would refuse to take the field...or have my guys intentionally hurt him." It's insulting to make the comparison. I haven't been to church in 20 years, so I am far from a religious person. But I am starting to see where some Christians are coming from when they say their beliefs are downgraded and even ridiculed at times, while other religions are given more forgiveness. It was okay to say you wouldn't want Tim Tebow because of the distraction and how he made some players uncomfortable...and even openly make fun of him and his faith...but don't say a word about a fringe roster player who is gay.

I'm glad we didn't take Sam. Now, if Van Noy came out as gay, then it would be worth it. Larry Webster? Not so much.

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:16 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 


kenny rhodes would be my guess I thought he walked away.
Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:26 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 


I think Dungy's revelations has more to do with the media circus circumventing the subject matter and how that added attraction will impact the entire organization... Just think about that! How will/would and/or has the media treated the historical event at this present time? A circus!

Last edited 7/21/2014 10:41 PM by CaptainObviou5

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:27 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 


This Issue is absurd. If the job was a doctor, engineer or accountant then people would think that Dungy was insane.

And considering that the NFL doesn't have a problem dealing with rape, dog fighting, domestic violence and drug abuse........

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:33 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 


I know tons of black people who are racist. I know tons who are not. Same goes for white people. I know many gay people, too. I don't care about your race or your sexuality. Should Sams get the same rights as other people? Our laws say yes.
I have serious misgivings about all the political correctness we are sujjected to by the people around us. People are not free to express their thoughts and feelings. I know that's considered radical in this country where it once was a given. People knew how each person felt because he could express himself freely. Now, a person's job and other things can be taken away because he feels a certain way.
Tony Dungy has earned my respect. Not wanting to deal with the distractions involved in coddling Michael Sams and the publicity driven political agenda he and other people( Oprah Winfrey and the other jackals) will foist on a team trying to compete is a no-brainer. It doesn't take courage to take Sams. It takes courage to not take him. Making Sams somebody on par with Jackie Robinson sickens me...I will not watch any show that speaks about him, i won't watch his team play because I don't want to hear about it. It is a non-issue. For me, it will never be an issue because the only thing that really matters is can he play at this level. That's it.
I don't believe Dungy is lacking courage. He stated he doesn't want the distraction. Neither do I. I will accept him for who I believe him to be.
Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:35 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 



dunkher wrote: kenny rhodes would be my guess I thought he walked away.
Yep, that would be him. Don't know whether it's true, not that it matters. But it was awfully suspicious he didn't garner much interest as a Free Agent.




*Suh,Megatron,Best,Broyles*

Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:40 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 



lionsfanfortyyears wrote: I know tons of black people who are racist. I know tons who are not. Same goes for white people. I know many gay people, too. I don't care about your race or your sexuality. Should Sams get the same rights as other people? Our laws say yes.
I have serious misgivings about all the political correctness we are sujjected to by the people around us. People are not free to express their thoughts and feelings. I know that's considered radical in this country where it once was a given. People knew how each person felt because he could express himself freely. Now, a person's job and other things can be taken away because he feels a certain way.
Tony Dungy has earned my respect. Not wanting to deal with the distractions involved in coddling Michael Sams and the publicity driven political agenda he and other people( Oprah Winfrey and the other jackals) will foist on a team trying to compete is a no-brainer. It doesn't take courage to take Sams. It takes courage to not take him. Making Sams somebody on par with Jackie Robinson sickens me...I will not watch any show that speaks about him, i won't watch his team play because I don't want to hear about it. It is a non-issue. For me, it will never be an issue because the only thing that really matters is can he play at this level. That's it.
I don't believe Dungy is lacking courage. He stated he doesn't want the distraction. Neither do I. I will accept him for who I believe him to be.
We're on the same page 40.
Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:40 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 


I don't care what round pick he is.  Dungy is WRONG on this.

 

Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:43 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 



CaptainObviou5 wrote:
lionsfanfortyyears wrote: I know tons of black people who are racist. I know tons who are not. Same goes for white people. I know many gay people, too. I don't care about your race or your sexuality. Should Sams get the same rights as other people? Our laws say yes.
I have serious misgivings about all the political correctness we are sujjected to by the people around us. People are not free to express their thoughts and feelings. I know that's considered radical in this country where it once was a given. People knew how each person felt because he could express himself freely. Now, a person's job and other things can be taken away because he feels a certain way.
Tony Dungy has earned my respect. Not wanting to deal with the distractions involved in coddling Michael Sams and the publicity driven political agenda he and other people( Oprah Winfrey and the other jackals) will foist on a team trying to compete is a no-brainer. It doesn't take courage to take Sams. It takes courage to not take him. Making Sams somebody on par with Jackie Robinson sickens me...I will not watch any show that speaks about him, i won't watch his team play because I don't want to hear about it. It is a non-issue. For me, it will never be an issue because the only thing that really matters is can he play at this level. That's it.
I don't believe Dungy is lacking courage. He stated he doesn't want the distraction. Neither do I. I will accept him for who I believe him to be.
We're on the same page 40.

 Dungy lost my respect.    Have we gotten to politically correct? Sure.  Should people be allowed to be bigots when it comes to race or sexuality? No.   I am not saying Dungy is a Bigot btw.  He is saying he would rather let the fact that it might be a distraction stop him from drafting a player. That's letting the other side one.   If the team truly accepts him, there is no distraction that matters.  If players on the team don't accept him, that's on them.

 

Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:46 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 



outkasted2006 wrote: I don't care what round pick he is.  Dungy is WRONG on this.
So, if he was a Head Coach for an NFL team and he stated that he doesn't want the added attention that comes from a historical event of this caliber on his team... He's out of line because he doesn't want the distractions that comes along with it? The media? The publicist? The interviews? All that comes with it, knowing his personnel should be studying and devouring the playbook?
Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:53 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 



CaptainObviou5 wrote:
outkasted2006 wrote: I don't care what round pick he is.  Dungy is WRONG on this.
So, if he was a Head Coach for an NFL team and he stated that he doesn't want the added attention that comes from a historical event of this caliber on his team... He's out of line because he doesn't want the distractions that comes along with it? The media? The publicist? The interviews? All that comes with it, knowing his personnel should be studying and devouring the playbook?
 Yes.

 

Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:53 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 


In my view..........Dungy was indeed courageous to have the balls to say what many talking heads wouldn't, publicly.

I want to remind us all: most talking heads are mandated from their media source management: "Get on-board with the PC-stuff"

It's one reason they rammed the World Cup down our throats. They were told to.
Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:56 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 


Here is another distraction to think about... Lets say, Sam gets into it with one of his team-mates; the first question Dungy would have to answer is... Did it have anything to do with Sams sexual preference? And, if it did; the second question Dungy would have to answer is... Why didn't you do more to prevent things like this from happening? And, did your religious convictions have anything to do with not preventing an issue in the locker room? Basically an attack on his religion

Last edited 7/21/2014 10:57 PM by CaptainObviou5

Avatar

Posted: 7/21/2014 10:58 PM

Re: Tony Dungy's assessment of Rams rookie Michael Sam shows 



dalemotown wrote: In my view..........Dungy was indeed courageous to have the balls to say what many talking heads wouldn't, publicly.

I want to remind us all: most talking heads are mandated from their media source management: "Get on-board with the PC-stuff"

It's one reason they rammed the World Cup down our throats. They were told to.


I enjoyed the World Cup. That being said, you are correct on why it was repeatedly shoved down our throats.  However, it's not courageous to admit that you don't have the balls to face a possible distraction that is historical and very important for so many reasons.   Dungy giving his opinion on what he "would do" means nothing.   If he were a coach, his answer would've been "PC" let's just say that.

 

Post New Topic
  Page of 11  Next >