Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Lions "seriously considering making a run" for Brandon

Posted: 6/16/2014 1:04 PM

Lions "seriously considering making a run" for Brandon 


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/16/2014 1:28 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 


They're doing their do diligent in reaching out to him, but I don't see us being able to offer him what other teams will pay until we sign Suh..

http://www.prideofdetroit.com/...brandon-flowers

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/16/2014 1:35 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 


From what I'm reading he doesn't seem like a good fit for the Lions new defense. Sounds like he struggled is  Press-man coverage.

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl/kansas-city-c hiefs/article547173/Chiefs-release-cornerback-Bran don-Flowers.html

http://nfl.si.com/2014/06/13/brandon-flowers-chris -houston-released-kansas-city-detroit/
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/16/2014 1:47 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 


He may not be ideal for the scheme, but he's instantly the #1 and takes a lot of pressure off Slay.

Seriously, if the Lions land Flowers, they have to be in the conversation as one of the top teams in the league.  They would have ZERO holes.  None.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/16/2014 1:56 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for Bra 


Like I say Wolf H, players can play better under better circumstances and different systems...maybe it will *click for him here even f it didn't really on 5 other teams-who knows....
but basically, all our guys would kinda be on equal ground Flowers included in that they ALL are learning a new system, or way to play.

I remember a piece...I don't recall if it was last year or in 2012 that said that the staff doesn't get a lot of one-on-one time with each player some get more, some get less, some get skipped in that regard, during practices and that, and they just don't have 'time' to set down with every guy and specifically work on their issues.

I 'know' he wouldn't have done that well with Schwartz and his staff...because they had blinders on and acted like everything was set and good, when it wasn't. they didn't develop players, or make them better, they did the same things-the same way irregardless if it didn't work like "running up the gut" and getting stuffed down after down.

Caldwell & Lombardi-just might "get it done" as far as Brandon Flowers is concerned....not saying THEY WILL , I'm saying they might.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/16/2014 2:00 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 


With what money lulz
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/16/2014 2:04 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 


Chiefs fans are saying the problem with Flowers was the price tag. He was a good player who was overpaid for his role in the new defense. That being said, I had the Chiefs and on my fantasy team and watched quite a bit of Chiefs football because of it. I never really noticed Flowers, which is a good thing. It's that Cooper guy, and Sean Smith that I noticed struggling. I'll say this...once the 4th quarter came around, that defense was scary before the injuries to the pass rushers.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/16/2014 2:13 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 



redwing777 wrote: He may not be ideal for the scheme, but he's instantly the #1 and takes a lot of pressure off Slay.

Seriously, if the Lions land Flowers, they have to be in the conversation as one of the top teams in the league.  They would have ZERO holes.  None.
an expensive guy who doesn't fit our scheme that will take valuable in game experience away from the young guys we have is a bad idea IMO

Me4LionsPresident Photography

Last edited 6/16/2014 2:13 PM by Me4LionsPresident

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/16/2014 2:16 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for Bra 



wolfcub36 wrote: Like I say Wolf H, players can play better under better circumstances and different systems...maybe it will *click for him here even f it didn't really on 5 other teams-who knows....
but basically, all our guys would kinda be on equal ground Flowers included in that they ALL are learning a new system, or way to play.

I remember a piece...I don't recall if it was last year or in 2012 that said that the staff doesn't get a lot of one-on-one time with each player some get more, some get less, some get skipped in that regard, during practices and that, and they just don't have 'time' to set down with every guy and specifically work on their issues.

I 'know' he wouldn't have done that well with Schwartz and his staff...because they had blinders on and acted like everything was set and good, when it wasn't. they didn't develop players, or make them better, they did the same things-the same way irregardless if it didn't work like "running up the gut" and getting stuffed down after down.

Caldwell & Lombardi-just might "get it done" as far as Brandon Flowers is concerned....not saying THEY WILL , I'm saying they might.
I only know as much as I am reading in regards to Flowers, can't say I ever really noticed him when the Broncos played the Chiefs (I live in Denver).

The more I read the more it sounds like he wouldn't be a good fit in our new defense.

So I'm not sure where the Lions would get the money in the first place....even if the do, is it wise to invest in a guy that may not fit.

But, like you said, some guys can move and it ends up working for them. Perhaps Teryl Austin sees things that Flowers could do very well for our D in the D.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/16/2014 2:20 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 



Me4LionsPresident wrote:
redwing777 wrote: He may not be ideal for the scheme, but he's instantly the #1 and takes a lot of pressure off Slay.

Seriously, if the Lions land Flowers, they have to be in the conversation as one of the top teams in the league.  They would have ZERO holes.  None.
an expensive guy who doesn't fit our scheme that will take valuable in game experience away from the young guys we have is a bad idea IMO
Yeah, not optimal for sure.  But then again the Lions are win-now and Rodgers and Cutler are on the sked 4 times and that's just a start.  And if they make the playoffs they're sure to seem to big time QBs...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/16/2014 2:35 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 


Unless Suh restructures immediately this is a non-starter.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/16/2014 2:41 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 



redwing777 wrote:
Me4LionsPresident wrote:
redwing777 wrote: He may not be ideal for the scheme, but he's instantly the #1 and takes a lot of pressure off Slay.

Seriously, if the Lions land Flowers, they have to be in the conversation as one of the top teams in the league.  They would have ZERO holes.  None.
an expensive guy who doesn't fit our scheme that will take valuable in game experience away from the young guys we have is a bad idea IMO
Yeah, not optimal for sure.  But then again the Lions are win-now and Rodgers and Cutler are on the sked 4 times and that's just a start.  And if they make the playoffs they're sure to seem to big time QBs...
So much for scheme fit? Take it for what its worth. My original thought was for a slot corner. He struggles against bigger receivers, but is good against most other receivers. I have a feeling that we will play a lot of nickle coverage this year. It is a passing league, teams are throwing the ball more and more. There are teams that run 3 WR as their base offense. Anyway found this on Rotoworld

"CBS Sports' Jason La Canfora reports the Lions are "seriously considering making a run" at free agent CB Brandon Flowers.
Detroit would be a good landing spot for Flowers, where new DC Teryl Austin -- formerly the Ravens' secondary coach -- could employ him like Lardarius Webb, aligning at left corner in base packages and covering the slot in "sub." Flowers would upgrade on aging Rashean Mathis opposite second-year RCB Darius Slay. Jun 16 - 12:58 PM"
Hanks admits that Suh’s hit on Browns QB Brandon Weeden on Sunday was “not an egregious play,”
Reply | Quote
  • Rogbib
  • Heathcliff Clone
  • 194 posts this site

Posted: 6/16/2014 2:42 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 


The Lions have to make this move -- not sure how they free up the cap space, but it's gotta be done.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/16/2014 2:53 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 


YES

Brandon Flowers is a damn good CB


Ashlee Palmer & Corey HIlliard that's & M. Owens an easy 3.8 mil right there

1)Dennard CB trade w/NYG
2)Martin DE
3)Buchanon  S
4)Swanson OL
4b)Bryant WR
4c)Van Noy  LB
6)Freese K
7)Stephen DT
*) pick via trade Webster  DE/TE

Last edited 6/16/2014 2:54 PM by Jigga

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/16/2014 2:56 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 



Jigga wrote: YES

Brandon Flowers is a damn good CB


Ashlee Palmer & Corey HIlliard that's & M. Owens an easy 3.8 mil right there
Or Suh mans up and signs an extension, that would be the best news
Hanks admits that Suh’s hit on Browns QB Brandon Weeden on Sunday was “not an egregious play,”
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/16/2014 3:02 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for Bra 


The biggest question is whether or not his bad season was because of scheme fit or just a down season. CBs can be very up and down (not all of them) but there are plenty of CBs who look good one season and then mediocre the next. I guess before the Chiefs ran more of a zone coverage?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/16/2014 3:04 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 



Jigga wrote: YES

Brandon Flowers is a damn good CB


Ashlee Palmer & Corey HIlliard that's & M. Owens an easy 3.8 mil right there
Corey Hilliard?   I think that would be very foolish to leave yourself with no proven backup OT.   Be interesting to see how much money Flowers ends up getting.   Are you sure he's worth big bucks considering he didn't seem to fit in KC's press coverage defense last year?   Aren't the Lions going to the same kind of pass coverage?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/16/2014 3:09 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for 



redwing777 wrote: He may not be ideal for the scheme, but he's instantly the #1 and takes a lot of pressure off Slay.

Seriously, if the Lions land Flowers, they have to be in the conversation as one of the top teams in the league.  They would have ZERO holes.  None.
lets see rookie TE , rookie OLB , aging MLB , undrafted FA's that played well but have to keep it going on the offensive line and back 4 doesnt really scare anyone with lots of young unproven players..if we were 1 player away we would have traded for a number 1 CB..i think cromartie is still unsigned or rogers cromartie..one of them i believe i could be wrong..i would say we need 3 or 4 good players away from being top 5 in the league
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/16/2014 3:15 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for Bra 


Overall I am on the fence about this move. Flowers turned 28 in February and he is 5'9" and he has been with the Chiefs since he was drafted in the 2nd rd. by the Chiefs in 2008.

Gunther Cunningham was the Chiefs DC at that point under Herm Edwards. That 2008 Chiefs defense was awful but they also started three rookie: Brandon Carr, Brandon Flowers and Glenn Dorsey.

I like the fact that Gunther would know how hard this kid worked as a rookie. I do not like the fact that Flowers didn't play well last season:
"Flowers struggled mightily in DC Bob Sutton's press-man scheme last season, grading out as a bottom-15 cover corner at PFF. He allowed a 66.7 percent completion rate, 846 yards, and four touchdowns in his coverage, while QBs had a 103.9 rating throwing at him."
www.rotoworld.com/recent/nfl/4733/brandon-flowers

Additional information from the same link:
"ESPN Chiefs reporter Adam Teicher suggests Brandon Flowers may not be a good fit in DC Bob Sutton's scheme.
Flowers went from PFF's No. 7 corner in 2012 to its No. 87 corner in 2013. He battled a sore knee, but the bigger culprit may have been too much press coverage. At 5'9/187, Flowers' strength isn't his physicality. Sutton adjusted as the season went along, using Flowers on the outside less and in the slot more."

So, nope...I don't want a guy who was a bottom 15 CB. But I do want a guy who was a top ten CB. And in this case that happens to be the same guy! Flowers was really goon in 2012 and really bad in 2013. In Gunther sheds light on this one I can understand this move. And CB is worth gambling on for the Lions at this point.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/16/2014 3:18 PM

Re: Lions "seriously considering making a run" for Bra 


As for Flowers struggling last season, I would say this - we don't know what went on behind the scenes. Was he hurt? The new scheme not a good fit? Even with that said, how bad did he struggle, the Chiefs had an elite defense before everyone started dropping to injuries and that's with a poor offense. So, how bad was he really?

Irregardless, he'd be our #1 instantly and the best CB in the entire division from day one. PFF did have him rated lower than normal last season, but they also went on to mention that despite his rating last year, he's still one of the top 5 highest rated CBs by them over the last five years. So, he can play.

Hopefully, this means Suh is re-signing soon?



Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >