Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Has Mathis signed with anybody?

Posted: 3/25/2014 12:27 PM

Has Mathis signed with anybody? 


Just wondering what happened with him and if their is any chance he comes back?

I thought he did a good job for us.
#NONEpride

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2014 12:45 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 


I believe that he is in talks with the Lions
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/25/2014 12:51 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 


Sad that an aging vet was our best Corner last year. Way to lock up C.Houston long term Mayhew!

It's remarkable they haven't solidified that spot even still after all this time. In his defence I guess, at least he tried to trade up for P.Peterson, S.Gilmore.

Still makes ya wonder if Mayhew is to finding CB's what Millen was to finding LB'ers.



*Suh, Megatron & Best*

Last edited 3/25/2014 12:51 PM by LionsSlashWings

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2014 2:56 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 



LionsSlashWings wrote: Sad that an aging vet was our best Corner last year. Way to lock up C.Houston long term Mayhew!

It's remarkable they haven't solidified that spot even still after all this time. In his defence I guess, at least he tried to trade up for P.Peterson, S.Gilmore.

Still makes ya wonder if Mayhew is to finding CB's what Millen was to finding LB'ers.
Michael Jordan drafted Kwame Brown. Isiah Thomas drafted Damon Stoutemire.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2014 3:20 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 


Houston just had a bad year. He was really good in 2011 and 2012
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2014 4:05 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 


the lion cb situation is "dismal"houston was terrible,mathis(aging veteran)our best cb last year is a free agent.no help is coming in free agency.im presuming mayhew is counting on that one or more of the"kids"slay,bentley,green and greenwood"will develope into a capable nfl cornerback.i dont share his "optimism" the only other option is to use our no.1 pick to draft a cb(gilbert or dennard)what bugs the heck out of me is that mayhew signed 3 free agents that(in my opinion) will have little or no value to the lions in the upcoming season.jed collins(fb,saints) "do we really need a fb"yeah, i know the argument,lombardi likes a fb in his system.daryl tapp(de,redskins)"1 sack and 7 tackles in 2013"need i say more and vaugh martin(dt.miami)missed most of 2013 with injuries.granted we didnt have much money to use,but he(mayhew)did "nothing"to help our cb situation
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/25/2014 4:14 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 


Our best DBs are...

Quinn -- a FA
Ihedigbo - FA
Mathis - FA
Houston - Trade
Carey - FA

Notice a trend there?

Does anyone else find it alarming that we can't seem to draft a starting caliber DB?

I know I know ---- we just need to give Slay, Bentley, Green and Greenwood time to develop.

To that I say ... Like we did Spivey, Delmas, Smith, Berry, Alexander, Robinson, Bullocks, and McCann?

---------------------------------------------
--- LionsSlashWings wrote:

Sad that an aging vet was our best Corner last year. Way to lock up C.Houston long term Mayhew!

It's remarkable they haven't solidified that spot even still after all this time. In his defence I guess, at least he tried to trade up for P.Peterson, S.Gilmore.

Still makes ya wonder if Mayhew is to finding CB's what Millen was to finding LB'ers.

---------------------------------------------
"When I die I want the Detroit Lions to be my pallbearer's so they can let me down one last time." "I hope they sing the song Another One Bites the Dust for me."
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2014 4:16 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 


The latest I've seen on Mathis was in the Chicago Tribune yesterday:

 

"CB Rashean Mathis is expected to re-sign but it may not happen until later in the spring."

As for fixing our CB problem, the best thing Mayhew could do is leave it alone and allow our young CB's to develope.  I don't agree with anyone who says they know what kind of player Slay will become after starting 4 games.  As far as helping this year Slay will almost certainly be more prepared to start then Gilbert or Dennard.  And basing our past results of developing CB's under coaches who are no longer on the team seems pretty irrelevant.

Last edited 3/25/2014 4:22 PM by torb28

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/25/2014 4:36 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 


Yeah you know how I feel about Corners Air. If it was me this position would've been solidified years ago. It really is maddening how they've failed to secure a top shelf Corner through all the years. I mean really think about:

From Deion to Aneas Williams, Eric Allen to Bobby Taylor, Darell Green, Shawn Springs to Darrell Revis, Richard Sherman, Charles Tillman, Carlos Rogers, Charles Woodson, Champ Bailey, Brandon Flowers, Finnegan, Johnathon Joseph, Asante Samuel, Chris Gamble to Antoine Winfield, Nnamdi Asomgha to Ike Tayor, Al Harris to Sam Madison, Patrick Surtain to Antonio Cromartie, Patrick Peterson to Aqib Talib, Joe Haden to Ty Law, Leon Hall to Samari Rolle, Alterraun Verner to Rod Wodson?..there have been a substantial amount of #1 caliber CB’s to pass through this league

Everyone on this list, but 1 (Gamble).. has been either an ALL-PRO or a Pro-Bowler at some point or another. And Gamble is one of the most under-rated players to ever play the game (he's in that London Fletcher category).

This is what it's like for me as a Lions fan, and with Corners being my favourite position in all of football..

It just feels like I'm watching all the nice cars pass by constantly.

Air2theThrown wrote: Our best DBs are...

Quinn -- a FA
Ihedigbo - FA
Mathis - FA
Houston - Trade
Carey - FA

Notice a trend there?

Does anyone else find it alarming that we can't seem to draft a starting caliber DB?

I know I know ---- we just need to give Slay, Bentley, Green and Greenwood time to develop.

To that I say ... Like we did Spivey, Delmas, Smith, Berry, Alexander, Robinson, Bullocks, and McCann?

---------------------------------------------



*Suh, Megatron & Best*

Last edited 3/25/2014 4:43 PM by LionsSlashWings

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2014 5:12 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 



torb28 wrote:

The latest I've seen on Mathis was in the Chicago Tribune yesterday:

 

"CB Rashean Mathis is expected to re-sign but it may not happen until later in the spring."

As for fixing our CB problem, the best thing Mayhew could do is leave it alone and allow our young CB's to develope.  I don't agree with anyone who says they know what kind of player Slay will become after starting 4 games.  As far as helping this year Slay will almost certainly be more prepared to start then Gilbert or Dennard.  And basing our past results of developing CB's under coaches who are no longer on the team seems pretty irrelevant.

This.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/25/2014 5:35 PM

RE: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 


Maybe this is the year. Cheer up.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/25/2014 6:20 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 



njlions4 wrote: the lion cb situation is "dismal"houston was terrible,mathis(aging veteran)our best cb last year is a free agent.no help is coming in free agency.im presuming mayhew is counting on that one or more of the"kids"slay,bentley,green and greenwood"will develope into a capable nfl cornerback.i dont share his "optimism" the only other option is to use our no.1 pick to draft a cb(gilbert or dennard)what bugs the heck out of me is that mayhew signed 3 free agents that(in my opinion) will have little or no value to the lions in the upcoming season.jed collins(fb,saints) "do we really need a fb"yeah, i know the argument,lombardi likes a fb in his system.daryl tapp(de,redskins)"1 sack and 7 tackles in 2013"need i say more and vaugh martin(dt.miami)missed most of 2013 with injuries.granted we didnt have much money to use,but he(mayhew)did "nothing"to help our cb situation
brutal ....

Cursing my boys with the pain of being a Lions fan since 2006.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2014 6:25 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 



torb28 wrote:

The latest I've seen on Mathis was in the Chicago Tribune yesterday:

 

"CB Rashean Mathis is expected to re-sign but it may not happen until later in the spring."

As for fixing our CB problem, the best thing Mayhew could do is leave it alone and allow our young CB's to develope.  I don't agree with anyone who says they know what kind of player Slay will become after starting 4 games.  As far as helping this year Slay will almost certainly be more prepared to start then Gilbert or Dennard.  And basing our past results of developing CB's under coaches who are no longer on the team seems pretty irrelevant.

Slay opened the season a starter and would of started more games had he not been demoted...twice, not to mention numerous in game benchings on top of that.  Bottom line is that Slay was atrocious last year and to count on him to do a complete 180 for next season is nothing more than wishful thinking.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2014 7:15 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 



beergood wrote:
torb28 wrote:

The latest I've seen on Mathis was in the Chicago Tribune yesterday:

 

"CB Rashean Mathis is expected to re-sign but it may not happen until later in the spring."

As for fixing our CB problem, the best thing Mayhew could do is leave it alone and allow our young CB's to develope.  I don't agree with anyone who says they know what kind of player Slay will become after starting 4 games.  As far as helping this year Slay will almost certainly be more prepared to start then Gilbert or Dennard.  And basing our past results of developing CB's under coaches who are no longer on the team seems pretty irrelevant.

Slay opened the season a starter and would of started more games had he not been demoted...twice, not to mention numerous in game benchings on top of that.  Bottom line is that Slay was atrocious last year and to count on him to do a complete 180 for next season is nothing more than wishful thinking.
We got a good look at why rookie CBs are picked on by good QBs

Expecting ANY rookie CB to be a stud on your D the first year is wishful thinking.

With Slay I have to wonder if the knee was an issue or not.  If so...maybe there is hope for him.

I would LOVE IT if Mayhew would quit taking injury projects with his 2nd picks
#NONEpride

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2014 8:17 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 



Jadedandnolongerdissappointed wrote:
beergood wrote:
torb28 wrote:

The latest I've seen on Mathis was in the Chicago Tribune yesterday:

 

"CB Rashean Mathis is expected to re-sign but it may not happen until later in the spring."

As for fixing our CB problem, the best thing Mayhew could do is leave it alone and allow our young CB's to develope.  I don't agree with anyone who says they know what kind of player Slay will become after starting 4 games.  As far as helping this year Slay will almost certainly be more prepared to start then Gilbert or Dennard.  And basing our past results of developing CB's under coaches who are no longer on the team seems pretty irrelevant.

Slay opened the season a starter and would of started more games had he not been demoted...twice, not to mention numerous in game benchings on top of that.  Bottom line is that Slay was atrocious last year and to count on him to do a complete 180 for next season is nothing more than wishful thinking.
We got a good look at why rookie CBs are picked on by good QBs

Expecting ANY rookie CB to be a stud on your D the first year is wishful thinking.

With Slay I have to wonder if the knee was an issue or not.  If so...maybe there is hope for him.

I would LOVE IT if Mayhew would quit taking injury projects with his 2nd picks
Exactly.  Let's not forget the tale of Dee Milliner.  You remember him, right beergood?  The 2013 version of Gilbert/Dennard.  The top CB in the draft that a multitude of Lions fans were screaming for us to pick.  The guy that was going to come in and miraculously fix our defensive woes in his rookie season.  He opened the season a starter and got demoted....three times.  He looked atrocious his first 11 starts.  And then something happened on start number 12.  He did a complete 180.  So much so that he was named the AFC player of that week.  He ended December being named the AFC Rookie of the Month.  The Jets must have had their wishful thinking rewarded.  Or maybe it's just that they had patience and realized that you can't tell what you have in a rookie corner in such a small sampling of starts.

Last edited 3/25/2014 8:32 PM by torb28

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/25/2014 8:17 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 


Two words: Dee Milliner

Last edited 3/25/2014 8:18 PM by Freebird22

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2014 8:27 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 


im sure im wrong on this but the last "shut down corner"the lions had was lem barney
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2014 8:51 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 



torb28 wrote:
Jadedandnolongerdissappointed wrote:
beergood wrote:
torb28 wrote:

The latest I've seen on Mathis was in the Chicago Tribune yesterday:

 

"CB Rashean Mathis is expected to re-sign but it may not happen until later in the spring."

As for fixing our CB problem, the best thing Mayhew could do is leave it alone and allow our young CB's to develope.  I don't agree with anyone who says they know what kind of player Slay will become after starting 4 games.  As far as helping this year Slay will almost certainly be more prepared to start then Gilbert or Dennard.  And basing our past results of developing CB's under coaches who are no longer on the team seems pretty irrelevant.

Slay opened the season a starter and would of started more games had he not been demoted...twice, not to mention numerous in game benchings on top of that.  Bottom line is that Slay was atrocious last year and to count on him to do a complete 180 for next season is nothing more than wishful thinking.
We got a good look at why rookie CBs are picked on by good QBs

Expecting ANY rookie CB to be a stud on your D the first year is wishful thinking.

With Slay I have to wonder if the knee was an issue or not.  If so...maybe there is hope for him.

I would LOVE IT if Mayhew would quit taking injury projects with his 2nd picks
Exactly.  Let's not forget the tale of Dee Milliner.  You remember him, right beergood?  The 2013 version of Gilbert/Dennard.  The top CB in the draft that a multitude of Lions fans were screaming for us to pick.  The guy that was going to come in and miraculously fix our defensive woes in his rookie season.  He opened the season a starter and got demoted....three times.  He looked atrocious his first 11 starts.  And then something happened on start number 12.  He did a complete 180.  So much so that he was named the AFC player of that week.  He ended December being named the AFC Rookie of the Month.  The Jets must have had their wishful thinking rewarded.  Or maybe it's just that they had patience and realized that you can't tell what you have in a rookie corner in such a small sampling of starts.
I dont think anyone expected him to be a stud, but making a positive contribution wasnt too much to ask for, but that didnt happen.  

For every Dee Miliner, there are 10 Chris Cooks or Amari Spevieys.  So sure, he can get better since he cant get much worse.  But to hope he turns it around along with hoping that Bentley, Green and Greenwood to actually do something is a lot of hoping...

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/25/2014 8:56 PM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 



Jadedandnolongerdissappointed wrote:
We got a good look at why rookie CBs are picked on by good QBs

Expecting ANY rookie CB to be a stud on your D the first year is wishful thinking.

With Slay I have to wonder if the knee was an issue or not.  If so...maybe there is hope for him.

I would LOVE IT if Mayhew would quit taking injury projects with his 2nd picks


With all due respect my man, I think that kinda goes without saying. I'm sure fans that are pro CB are aware of that. But the draft is about tomorrow, not just today.

Let me flip it this way Jaded. 3 years ago (the general time line for CB's).. the Lions took Nick Fairley, not exactly a position in need.

But Corner was a glaring need back then. So fast forward 3 years and Prince Amukamara has finally truned the Corner, and Jimmy Smith has not just turned the Corner?..but arrived.

Would I take Jimmy Smith right now over Fairley?.. you betchya.

I get it Jaded,, it take roughly 3 years, this according to Woodson also, for a Corner to develop.

But if you don't take one eventually..you'll be?..where?

Right we are we are.. watching the wheel go 'round! lol



*Suh, Megatron & Best*

Last edited 3/25/2014 8:57 PM by LionsSlashWings

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/26/2014 10:23 AM

Re: Has Mathis signed with anybody? 


I think our problem is we keep trying to address the problem with "Projects with Potential".

PP - Players are like pissing in the wind... It's going to get messy and your going to stink.. They really don't address the actual problem now but they give hope that someday "maybe" they can be a quality NFL caliber DB.

Then 4 years later that day arrives and guess what? Their now a UFA and your going to have to pay to keep them or your letting them go and starting over.

Wouldn't it be smarter to just grab a very good young CB via FA. A player someone else had to endure the growing pains with...

I feel the Lions should have never paid Houston. They should have taken that money and grabbed a higher quality CB via FA.

I firmly believe the Lions approach to CB is an incorrect one... Because CBs take to long to develop and then your just developing them for the highest bidder.

---------------------------------------------
--- LionsSlashWings wrote:


Jadedandnolongerdissappointed wrote:
We got a good look at why rookie CBs are picked on by good QBs

Expecting ANY rookie CB to be a stud on your D the first year is wishful thinking.

With Slay I have to wonder if the knee was an issue or not.  If so...maybe there is hope for him.

I would LOVE IT if Mayhew would quit taking injury projects with his 2nd picks


With all due respect my man, I think that kinda goes without saying. I'm sure fans that are pro CB are aware of that. But the draft is about tomorrow, not just today.

Let me flip it this way Jaded. 3 years ago (the general time line for CB's).. the Lions took Nick Fairley, not exactly a position in need.

But Corner was a glaring need back then. So fast forward 3 years and Prince Amukamara has finally truned the Corner, and Jimmy Smith has not just turned the Corner?..but arrived.

Would I take Jimmy Smith right now over Fairley?.. you betchya.

I get it Jaded,, it take roughly 3 years, this according to Woodson also, for a Corner to develop.

But if you don't take one eventually..you'll be?..where?

Right we are we are.. watching the wheel go 'round! lol

---------------------------------------------
"When I die I want the Detroit Lions to be my pallbearer's so they can let me down one last time." "I hope they sing the song Another One Bites the Dust for me."
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >