Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

Re: BUTLER vs COFFEYVILLE

  • bandrat
  • Member
  • 565 posts this site

Posted: 10/22/2012 8:49 AM

Re: BUTLER vs COFFEYVILLE 


Nothing changes the fact that lowly Coffeyville gave Butler it's closest conference game to date.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/22/2012 9:07 AM

Re: BUTLER vs COFFEYVILLE 



bandrat wrote: Nothing changes the fact that lowly Coffeyville gave Butler it's closest conference game to date.

I don't think anyone was challenging the fact that this was Butler's smallest margin of victory over a conference team.  However, your implication that the smallest margin of victory makes Coffeyville the second best team that Butler has played requires some qualification and explanation -- which is provided above.

I mean, if you're solely relying on one-time matchup scores, Garden City fares as the second worst team that Butler has played, even though Garden City destroyed most of Butler's other opponents.  Going stricly by single game score comparisons, GC should have lost to a slew of other teams (like Dodge City, Highland, FS, etc.).  It didn't.  In fact, GC beat the crap out of two of those teams (beating Highland by only 11). 
Reply | Quote
  • bandrat
  • Member
  • 565 posts this site

Posted: 10/22/2012 9:20 AM

Re: BUTLER vs COFFEYVILLE 


The bottom line is that Butler needed a blowout to be assured of playing for a national championship. They didn't get it. Their last chance is to stomp Hutch and that won't be easy.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/22/2012 9:30 AM

Re: BUTLER vs COFFEYVILLE 



bandrat wrote: The bottom line is that Butler needed a blowout to be assured of playing for a national championship. They didn't get it. Their last chance is to stomp Hutch and that won't be easy.
Last chance?  No, they have 3 more games, all left against opponents with winning records.  Hutch, then the two rounds of the playoffs.  

I though your argument was about Coffeyville improving - now it's about Butler's chances getting into the NC game?  Win out - that's all they can do.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/22/2012 12:15 PM

Re: BUTLER vs COFFEYVILLE 



bandrat wrote: The bottom line is that Butler needed a blowout to be assured of playing for a national championship. They didn't get it. Their last chance is to stomp Hutch and that won't be easy.

Um, so Coffeyville's standard for being blown out is MORE than 32 points?

Yikes! 

I'll be the first to admit that I wanted the score to be more lopsided to make a statement to the pollsters.  But, frankly, either the pollsters watched EMCC play NWCC and were unimpressed enough to change their votes -- or they weren't.  I don't think beating CV by another 10 or 20 points was going to be the difference.  EMCC's poor defense, on the other hand, might be. 

Irish is right, too.  We still have 3 more games against relatively good opponents.  Hopefully, we'll win big in all of those games and convince a couple of pollsters to move their votes around.  Even if not, our computer rankings should continue to climb.  So, we'll see.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/22/2012 12:48 PM

Re: BUTLER vs COFFEYVILLE 


Irish:
It was said in a earlier post that losing your(Butlers) running back impacted the outcome. Well Coffeyvilles' game against Highland was played with 4 key players not playing. Would that impact that outcome if 4 players were gone? 

Butler beat Coffeyville I am sure we can all agree on that.
Butler has a better quality players than Coffeyville. I am sure we can agree on that.
Butler did not beat them by as much as they/you would have liked. I am sure we can agree on that to.

To bring up lost opportunities in a game is silly. How about the first play of the game??? If the receiver could have put a little more on that pass that was a TD. How about if the Ville would have stayed at home on that punt play that would have took away a TD. You were punting on 4th down you know.

Explain this....If Butler was not desperate to get the score up why did Butler leave Cosh in the game the whole night. The season is almost over. Surely he wasnt out there to work on something. Coffeyville even pulled our QB for the last couple possessions.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/22/2012 1:38 PM

Re: BUTLER vs COFFEYVILLE 



68camaro wrote: Irish:
It was said in a earlier post that losing your(Butlers) running back impacted the outcome. Well Coffeyvilles' game against Highland was played with 4 key players not playing. Would that impact that outcome if 4 players were gone? 

Butler beat Coffeyville I am sure we can all agree on that.
Butler has a better quality players than Coffeyville. I am sure we can agree on that.
Butler did not beat them by as much as they/you would have liked. I am sure we can agree on that to.

To bring up lost opportunities in a game is silly. How about the first play of the game??? If the receiver could have put a little more on that pass that was a TD. How about if the Ville would have stayed at home on that punt play that would have took away a TD. You were punting on 4th down you know.

Explain this....If Butler was not desperate to get the score up why did Butler leave Cosh in the game the whole night. The season is almost over. Surely he wasnt out there to work on something. Coffeyville even pulled our QB for the last couple possessions.
I think your comments are too narrow. 

I don't think anyone meant to say that if only a play or two had gone differently, the score would have been different.  That's obvious for any game.  What I meant (and I assume anyone else who made similar comments meant), was that Butler was moving the ball at will, especially when Smith was playing.  That Smith was injured and Butler missed out on some scoring opportunities happened, but likely wouldn't happen in a rematch.  I just meant that the flow of the game indicated to me that Butler could (and probably would if they meet again) beaten CV considerably worse.

The Highland game is a good comparison.  I don't think anyone on these boards thinks that CV is only 4 points better than Highland.  If those teams played 10 times, CV would probably win all 10, and by more points than 4.

The same is true of this game, IMO.  If Butler and CV played 10 more times, I think Butler would win every time, and I think most of the scores would be more lopsided than this one.  Why do I think that?   Because Butler was dangerously close to scoring several more times and was moving the ball at will.  CV, OTOH, never really even threatened to score after it's two early scoring drives.  Hell, even those drives were aided multiple times by drive-saving penalties.  Without even considering the propriety of the penalties, how many games do you think you're going to get multiple drive-saving penalties to assist in scoring drives against Butler?  Probably not many.
Reply | Quote
  • bandrat
  • Member
  • 565 posts this site

Posted: 10/22/2012 10:15 PM

Re: BUTLER vs COFFEYVILLE 


I love this stuff, don't you?  I always hate it when the season is over and we have to wait 8 or 9 months for the next season to get here.  I like you guys up at Butler.  I think you have a first class operation up there and I always look forward to playing you .  For a long time we dominated the conference and won a few national championships in the process.  But, things change and good fortune is a fleeting commodity.  I do think with our current ex-Butler coaching staff, and the solid backing of our college administration,  we will improve in the next couple of years and once again be a contender.  

I wish I could come and see your game with Hutch.  It ought to be a good one.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/23/2012 6:05 AM

Re: BUTLER vs COFFEYVILLE 



bandrat wrote: I love this stuff, don't you?  I always hate it when the season is over and we have to wait 8 or 9 months for the next season to get here.  I like you guys up at Butler.  I think you have a first class operation up there and I always look forward to playing you .  For a long time we dominated the conference and won a few national championships in the process.  But, things change and good fortune is a fleeting commodity.  I do think with our current ex-Butler coaching staff, and the solid backing of our college administration,  we will improve in the next couple of years and once again be a contender.  

I wish I could come and see your game with Hutch.  It ought to be a good one.
^ This.  X 1000.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/23/2012 8:33 AM

Re: BUTLER vs COFFEYVILLE 


I am confused by something. If Coffeyville is so bad and barely beat Highland, Ft Scott and AFP what does this say about Butler if they had a harder time with Coffeyville than any other Jayhawk team season to date? Is Butler not that good? Is Coffeyville better than they get credit for? I do not know the answer but I am sure someone will set me straight.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/23/2012 8:56 AM

Re: BUTLER vs COFFEYVILLE 



68camaro wrote:  I do not know the answer but I am sure someone will set me straight.
ding ding ding ding!
Reply | Quote