Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback

Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2013 7:44 PM

It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


Follow HawkeyeInsider on Twitter
Reply | Quote
  • phdsvp
  • HI Legend
  • 2568 posts this site

Posted: 12/8/2013 7:47 PM

RE: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


Definitely a good result for the year. Good bowl, fun trip.

The game? I think Iowa will win by double digits. LSU is a mess right now. Comparable to Michigan/Nebraska.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2013 7:49 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


YES!  We can beat those guys.  No, we WILL beat LSU!cool
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2013 7:50 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


LSU will be a ridiculously serious challenge.  Athletically they will be extremely tough.  What an awesome challenge for our bowl game.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2013 7:51 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


According to everyone else, we'll easily win. Which is it?
WDMTIGERHAWK2 wrote: LSU will be a ridiculously serious challenge.  Athletically they will be extremely tough.  What an awesome challenge for our bowl game.
BORN  AND  BRED  TO  BE  A  DIE  HARD  HAWKEYE  FAN
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2013 7:55 PM

RE: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


Iowa will pound LSU in Tampa. Parker and Davis are licking their lips at this match-up.

Maybe, for a change, the rest of the Big Ten will show during Bowl season and it won't be just Iowa.

btw... where are all the naysayers and Ferentz haters? Should Captain Kirk be fired? Is he over paid?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2013 7:59 PM

RE: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


25 minutes drive to the rayjay!!!

See u guys in my home town!

 

                                                    The harder you work, the harder it is to surrender.  ~ Vince Lombardi

Reply | Quote
  • ProTurf
  • HI Legend
  • 2887 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2013 8:14 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


Sweet. The perfect opportunity for the Hawks imo.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2013 8:14 PM

RE: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


Pound LSU? Remove the black and gold glasses.

aaronzuriel wrote: Iowa will pound LSU in Tampa. Parker and Davis are licking their lips at this match-up.

Maybe, for a change, the rest of the Big Ten will show during Bowl season and it won't be just Iowa.

btw... where are all the naysayers and Ferentz haters? Should Captain Kirk be fired? Is he over paid?

Last edited 12/8/2013 8:20 PM by BingKing

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2013 8:47 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


watching Ferentz live interview on the Big 10 NW.  Could he for once not refer to Iowa's opposing teams as "outstanding?"

Last edited 12/8/2013 8:48 PM by EstronHawk

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2013 9:40 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


"They're an outstanding opponent." It never fails.
EstronHawk wrote: watching Ferentz live interview on the Big 10 NW.  Could he for once not refer to Iowa's opposing teams as "outstanding?"
BORN  AND  BRED  TO  BE  A  DIE  HARD  HAWKEYE  FAN
Reply | Quote
  • hoxrock
  • HI Legend
  • 6456 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2013 9:46 PM

RE: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


Iowa beat LSU when they had the likes of Dwayne Bowe, Skyler Green, JaMarcus Russell, Joseph Addai, and Ally Broussard. They can beat LSU now. Interesting match-up no one will talk about...two of the worst in-game managers going head to head in Ferentz and Les Miles.
"That's Football."-- Kirk Ferentz
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2013 11:05 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


I've been to the Outback Bowl once, and the Tampa-St. Pete area a number of times, and like it better than Orlando--by a lot. You should be able to get some beach time, too. It's a fun trip.

Iowa should be able to beat LSU. The Tigers have lost their starting QB. Good luck.
These ARE the Good Old Days.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/8/2013 11:41 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


Anyone who thinks this one won't be tough is delusional. I agree that we can win this one but win easily? Nope. I would love for us to do what the OP suggested and beat them by 10+ but I seriously doubt it. If we lose, we lose close that is for sure.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/8/2013 11:42 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 



OlBadger wrote: I've been to the Outback Bowl once, and the Tampa-St. Pete area a number of times, and like it better than Orlando--by a lot. You should be able to get some beach time, too. It's a fun trip.

Iowa should be able to beat LSU. The Tigers have lost their starting QB. Good luck.
I am considering it. Thanks for the encouragement.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 3:52 AM

RE: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


I live less than 15 mins from Raymond James! (Depends on traffic on Hillsboroughdisbelief) Still having a hard time believing I am going to this game.  GO HAWKS!!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2013 4:32 AM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 




---------------------------------------------
--- OlBadger wrote:

I've been to the Outback Bowl once, and the Tampa-St. Pete area a number of times, and like it better than Orlando--by a lot. You should be able to get some beach time, too. It's a fun trip.

Iowa should be able to beat LSU. The Tigers have lost their starting QB. Good luck.

---------------------------------------------

OlBadger.....LSU will be a very hard test for us. As an SEC team, they will be very deep with good backups. Their fans will swarm all over Tampa, create acres of tailgating, and be as loud as any other fan base around. I remember them from the Cap One Bowl a few years ago.

BTW, Tampa-St Pete is a great city, but to hate on Orlando seems strange. After all, it is the number one tourist destination in the world, so I guess most people would not agree with you!
Restore the Order, Go Hawks!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 6:41 AM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


I went to my first game at what now is Kinnick stadium in what I believe was 1954.  Can't believe God Willing, I am going to my first bowl game only 60 years later!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 7:13 AM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 



floridahawk wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- OlBadger wrote:

I've been to the Outback Bowl once, and the Tampa-St. Pete area a number of times, and like it better than Orlando--by a lot. You should be able to get some beach time, too. It's a fun trip.

Iowa should be able to beat LSU. The Tigers have lost their starting QB. Good luck.

---------------------------------------------

OlBadger.....LSU will be a very hard test for us. As an SEC team, they will be very deep with good backups. Their fans will swarm all over Tampa, create acres of tailgating, and be as loud as any other fan base around. I remember them from the Cap One Bowl a few years ago.

BTW, Tampa-St Pete is a great city, but to hate on Orlando seems strange. After all, it is the number one tourist destination in the world, so I guess most people would not agree with you!
You mean, most people with kids.  We go there with the kids, but if it's just my wife and I, Orlando certainly wouldn't be the destination.  
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 7:15 AM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


Congratulations!!  I hope you enjoy every second of it, and see a Hawkeye win.
marbill69 wrote: I went to my first game at what now is Kinnick stadium in what I believe was 1954.  Can't believe God Willing, I am going to my first bowl game only 60 years later!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 7:59 AM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


LSU's back up QB led them to victory in there season final.  He has more physical talent then the starting QB.  LSU was the only team to beat Auburn this year.  Auburn was the only team to beat Alabama.  This will be a huge challenge, but could be an awesome win if the Hawks could some how pull it off.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 8:43 AM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


He came in after Mettenberger got hurt, late in the fourth quarter.  They kicked a FG on that drive.

The next drive, LSU took over inside their one yard line and he drove them 99 yards in less than two minutes to win the game, with the game-winner being a 49 yard TD pass.

Can't tell much from one drive but that's not bad for a true freshman getting thrown in the fire with the game on the line.


WDMTIGERHAWK2 wrote: LSU's back up QB led them to victory in there season final.  He has more physical talent then the starting QB.  LSU was the only team to beat Auburn this year.  Auburn was the only team to beat Alabama.  This will be a huge challenge, but could be an awesome win if the Hawks could some how pull it off.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2013 8:52 AM

RE: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


LSU has a descent defense and a good offense. They will be challenge, no doubt about it. However, the only two Defenses they have faced with a pulse have been Alabama and Florida. They scored exactly 17 points in both games. I doubt we'll hold them to much less than Alabama did; to win our Offense is going to have to wake up and start scoring. First team to 25 wins.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2013 8:53 AM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


LSU is a very good football team and we are going to have to play mistake free football to have a chance to win. LSU beat Texas A&M by 24 and they beat Auburn 2 touchdowns and were up 35-14 in the 4th quarter. They have a ton of talent. They have signed 60+, 4 and 5 star recruits in the past 5 years. I know that does not mean they are any better than Iowa as a team, but they do have quite a bit of talent. I think we have a good shot to win this one, but we cannot afford to make very many mistakes.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 10:40 AM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 



floridahawk wrote:

BTW, Tampa-St Pete is a great city, but to hate on Orlando seems strange. After all, it is the number one tourist destination in the world, so I guess most people would not agree with you!


I didn't "hate on" [who invented that expression?] Orlando, but just said I like T-SP better, mainly because of the beaches. A lot more tourists go to Orlando because of the big theme parks, but those are less attractive to me than the beach area of Florida's West Coast, where you actually can watch a romantic sunset over the ocean while sipping on a good rum drink without going all the way to the Pacific. I just was trying to convey to the Iowa faithful that T-SP is a good bowl destination, worth the trip. biggrin
These ARE the Good Old Days.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 10:50 AM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


Yah-there's no way we're gonna "pound" or "win easily" as some posters have naively proclaimed.

Agree that we can win this game but will have to play one of if not our best game of the year to do it-LSU is a very good team. Anyone who thinks otherwise has very little knowledge of college football or is drinking way too much Kool-Aid.       

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 10:54 AM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


It's official-ESPN's Brad Edwards = FAIL
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 11:49 AM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


LSU - as it often has been under Miles - was a bit schizophrenic this year.

They had a couple of really complete games on both sides of the ball - Texas A&M and Auburn - where it looked like they were putting things together.  Then they would lapse back into playing so-so against inferior opponents, such as Arkansas. 

You really don't know what you're going to get with LSU in any given week, although even when they don't play well they usually are good enough to beat most teams on the schedule.
AlSpangler wrote: LSU is a very good football team and we are going to have to play mistake free football to have a chance to win. LSU beat Texas A&M by 24 and they beat Auburn 2 touchdowns and were up 35-14 in the 4th quarter. They have a ton of talent. They have signed 60+, 4 and 5 star recruits in the past 5 years. I know that does not mean they are any better than Iowa as a team, but they do have quite a bit of talent. I think we have a good shot to win this one, but we cannot afford to make very many mistakes.
Reply | Quote
  • hawkjth
  • HI Legend
  • 8430 posts this site

Posted: 12/9/2013 11:54 AM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


LSU is favored by 8 for a reason...they are super talented. I thought they would be more like 13 pt favorites.

Pretty much their entire two-deep is NFL bound.  Iowa might have 2-3 NFL prospects as a contrast.

Iowa will need to play their best game of the year to be competitive in this game.
LSU could blow the Hawks out,tho, even if the Hawks play their best.
LSU is the 3rd most talented team in the SEC.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 12:13 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 



hawkjth wrote: 

...LSU is the 3rd most talented team in the SEC.
Curious who you think the 2nd most talented team would be? 

I'll certainly give you Bama.

LSU was very young on D this year, and arguably not as talented there as in recent years due to losses to the NFL in the 2012 and 2013 drafts.

If I had to pick a team more talented than LSU, I guess I would pick Georgia, although I'm not sure they are. 

Curious who you would have as more talented in the SEC than LSU, besides Bama?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2013 1:13 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 



NorfolkVaTiger wrote:
hawkjth wrote: 

...LSU is the 3rd most talented team in the SEC.
Curious who you think the 2nd most talented team would be? 

I'll certainly give you Bama.

LSU was very young on D this year, and arguably not as talented there as in recent years due to losses to the NFL in the 2012 and 2013 drafts.

If I had to pick a team more talented than LSU, I guess I would pick Georgia, although I'm not sure they are. 

Curious who you would have as more talented in the SEC than LSU, besides Bama?
Probably Auburn, since they won the conference.  I know, I know......
Reply | Quote
  • hawkjth
  • HI Legend
  • 8430 posts this site

Posted: 12/9/2013 4:22 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 



LoneStarTiger1 wrote:
NorfolkVaTiger wrote:
hawkjth wrote: 

...LSU is the 3rd most talented team in the SEC.
Curious who you think the 2nd most talented team would be? 

I'll certainly give you Bama.

LSU was very young on D this year, and arguably not as talented there as in recent years due to losses to the NFL in the 2012 and 2013 drafts.

If I had to pick a team more talented than LSU, I guess I would pick Georgia, although I'm not sure they are. 

Curious who you would have as more talented in the SEC than LSU, besides Bama?
Probably Auburn, since they won the conference.  I know, I know......
Yea, I admit to not really knowing the talent level of the SEC teams beyond what I see occasionally on Saturdays, and recent games by Auburn.  They seem pretty talented, but I did forget that LSU beat Auburn, so maybe I short-changed the Tigers talent.  I revise it to #2?....Still think Bama has the horses to be #1.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 4:58 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 



NorfolkVaTiger wrote: He came in after Mettenberger got hurt, late in the fourth quarter.  They kicked a FG on that drive.

The next drive, LSU took over inside their one yard line and he drove them 99 yards in less than two minutes to win the game, with the game-winner being a 49 yard TD pass.

Can't tell much from one drive but that's not bad for a true freshman getting thrown in the fire with the game on the line.


WDMTIGERHAWK2 wrote: LSU's back up QB led them to victory in there season final.  He has more physical talent then the starting QB.  LSU was the only team to beat Auburn this year.  Auburn was the only team to beat Alabama.  This will be a huge challenge, but could be an awesome win if the Hawks could some how pull it off.

Yes, he did, against an Arkansas team that was and is winless in the SEC - Spend Enough Cash league.  LSU barely beats Arkansas and now it seems they are the best thing since sliced bread.  Give me a break.  It will be a very physical and hard hitting game but see the Hawks winning due to LSU's inexperienced qb turning the ball over numerouse times at the wrong times with a pick six and another blocked punt for a td in this game.  Tiger Bait!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/9/2013 5:34 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


I certainly don't want to break up this SEC love feast but I thought this thread was about LSU vs Iowa.
I always enjoy the "underdog" status. I would be very surprised if the Hawks did not show up ready to play with this much time to prepare. The super talented Georgia Tech was supposed to dominate us in the Orange Bowl, according to the "experts". We took their lunch money even after spotting them a "pick6". Our record vs the SEC in bowl games under Ferentz is 3 (Florida,LSU,SouthCarolina) & 1 (Florida). The 1 loss against Florida was a total rip off, with no less than 3 phantom penalties determining the outcome. I don't think our guys will be intimidated by the rep of the mighty SEC. Will we win? Who knows? Can we win? Hell yes! Looking forward to a competitive game with a very good LSU team.
"If the other team doesn't score, the worst we can do is tie." - Hayden Fry
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/9/2013 6:18 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 



Dohly wrote:  Will we win? Who knows? Can we win? Hell yes! Looking forward to a competitive game with a very good LSU team.
I believe that's how most Tiger fans feel about the game, too.  Cautiously optimistic.  With both sides seeing it about the same, it should be a good game. 

As others have said, there is a little of the unknown with a new QB for LSU.  For me, waiting to see how Anthony Jennings plays in place of Mettenberger in the bowl game is kind of like waiting to open a Christmas present when I was a kid.  Was it going to be a great present or just a so-so present?  Have to wait a month to see...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2013 6:54 PM

RE: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


Tiger droppings/ Rant/ whatever has them all predicting we are not worthy enough to make it within 30 points. Can't wait to watch a very physical Iowa team hit theirs the first time.

The best part is most of them have set the story line up that if we win, they played down to us because they don't care excuses.

Iowa will win a close battle in which LSU will need an adjustment in the second half to get into the game. Iowa will be up, but not much at the half. This game will boil down to half time adjustments on both sides of the field.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2013 7:52 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


is Honey Badger playing for LSU?  Is he still eligible?wink
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2013 8:27 PM

Re: It's Official - Iowa v. LSU in Outback 


Tore his ACL this weekend chasing after his weed dealer
 
EstronHawk wrote: is Honey Badger playing for LSU?  Is he still eligible?wink
Reply | Quote