Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

A'Ja, UConn, & 2014

Posted: 4/18/2013 11:26 AM

A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 



Seems like the final list of USC, Clemson, and UNC we have bandied about is being challenged.

According to a blog in Conn Wilson may be getting snowshoes and mittens for the fall of 2014?:

elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/18/2013 11:42 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


I will be shocked if A'ja does not land in Chapel Hill, or stay put in Columbia! UCONN thinks every top recruit is down to them, and some body else.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/18/2013 4:12 PM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


They said the same about Deshields.


---------------------------------------------
--- roboinfo19 wrote:


Seems like the final list of USC, Clemson, and UNC we have bandied about is being challenged.

According to a blog in Conn Wilson may be getting snowshoes and mittens for the fall of 2014?:

elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/18/2013 4:33 PM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Great point Triplecrown!

---------------------------------------------
--- TripleDown wrote:

They said the same about Deshields.


---------------------------------------------
--- roboinfo19 wrote:


Seems like the final list of USC, Clemson, and UNC we have bandied about is being challenged.

According to a blog in Conn Wilson may be getting snowshoes and mittens for the fall of 2014?:

elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/19/2013 6:37 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


I dont pretend to know ultimately where recruits will go. What I csn say is I like how our recruiting is going. If say some local newspaper had a beat writer call I am sure we could get some favorable mentions about UNC.

Last year we saw how ugly recruiting can get. I dont expect any difference this year.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/19/2013 8:33 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


We are in the lead!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/19/2013 2:32 PM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 



They consider our 2013 class to be a fluke and don't believe we can follow it up with another top rated class by getting Wilson.
---------------------------------------------
--- TripleDown wrote:

They said the same about Deshields.


---------------------------------------------
--- roboinfo19 wrote:


Seems like the final list of USC, Clemson, and UNC we have bandied about is being challenged.

According to a blog in Conn Wilson may be getting snowshoes and mittens for the fall of 2014?:

elmcitytoeaglevillenhr.blogspot.com

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/20/2013 1:38 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Thanks for the reassurances. Maybe this is a new day. I do remember, however, the anticipations of the arrivals of Glory Johnson, Cierra Burdick, and Amber Henson. We were considered strong favorites for those three, and we know how those went.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/20/2013 2:13 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


We didn't have TSO on the coaching staff to reel those girls in!

---------------------------------------------
--- roboinfo19 wrote:

Thanks for the reassurances. Maybe this is a new day. I do remember, however, the anticipations of the arrivals of Glory Johnson, Cierra Burdick, and Amber Henson. We were considered strong favorites for those three, and we know how those went.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/20/2013 8:40 PM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


We beat Uconn head too head for Krista too

---------------------------------------------
--- TripleDown wrote:

We didn't have TSO on the coaching staff to reel those girls in!

---------------------------------------------
--- roboinfo19 wrote:

Thanks for the reassurances. Maybe this is a new day. I do remember, however, the anticipations of the arrivals of Glory Johnson, Cierra Burdick, and Amber Henson. We were considered strong favorites for those three, and we know how those went.

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/21/2013 12:58 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Interesting that you mention those three particular players. I'm not sure we were "strong" favorites for any of them except possibly Henson because of her brother being at UNC.

Glory Johnson had always been thought to be going to UT. She was from Knoxville, grew up a Lady Vol fan, had UT paraphernalia in her room etc. Then one day GJ announced that her choices had been narrowed to two teams: UT and ... UNC! Those of us who follow the women's game were quite frankly very surprised. Websites like Hoopgurlz picked up on that story, and for a while it was thought that she might come. We were fooled; GJ never had any real interest in Carolina. She took an official visit to Chapel Hill really to please a member of her family (her father IIRC) who didn't like UT. When all was said and done, she committed to UT just as it had always been thought she would.

I know less about the Cierra Burdick story except that we recruited her, things seemed to be going well, but then there was some sort of a disconnect between the coaches and Burdick's family. After that both sides backed off and UT became the clear favorite.

With Amber Henson, we really did think she was ours to lose. She had been on the Hill several times, loved the school, and seemed close to committing. But, she wants to be a doctor and the programs dook offers for undergraduates in pre-med we just cannot match. In the end, the pull was just too strong.

That said, we seem in a strong position with Wilson. She's visited, knows some of our incoming freshmen - particularly DeShields - likes our style of play, and has the opportunity to play for a HOF coach in what is going to be a fantastic conference. All we can do is hope for the best. It shouldn't be too long and we will know one way or the other.

---------------------------------------------
--- roboinfo19 wrote:

Thanks for the reassurances. Maybe this is a new day. I do remember, however, the anticipations of the arrivals of Glory Johnson, Cierra Burdick, and Amber Henson. We were considered strong favorites for those three, and we know how those went.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/22/2013 3:30 PM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


...."UCONN thinks every top recruit is down to them, and some body else...."

Where does it say that UConn thinks A'Ja has narrowed it down to them and somebody else? Maybe I missed it, but all I read was they're focused on recruiting her.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/22/2013 3:58 PM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Troll be gone!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/23/2013 12:15 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 




---------------------------------------------
--- ewecon wrote:

...."UCONN thinks every top recruit is down to them, and some body else...."

Where does it say that UConn thinks A'Ja has narrowed it down to them and somebody else? Maybe I missed it, but all I read was they're focused on recruiting her.

---------------------------------------------

There's a thread over at the Boneyard that had a rumor that A'Ja had narrowed it down to UConn and the other USC (South Carolina). It also said that A'Ja didn't want to play in the low post and want to play on the perimeter.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/23/2013 7:04 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Really this came from a UCONN beat writer who read a tweet from some little known part time northeastern basketball analyst. I thought it strange that he got this info when everyone including big time recruiting analysts have not posted anything along those lines. Espicially those from the area ie peach state and asgr. Funny they chose to neglect the most recent list out from espn HG.

You know I dont really know for sure anything but I do know that a lot of stuff will be out with those that pretend to have an in. The classic is for fanbases to post negatively about those who they feel are their biggest obstacles. Gone on for years and we saw it first hand last year. There is a real reason all these players chose us last year and no matter how anyone spins it there is a real chance it could happen again this year. Our future player pipeline is very very strong.

Last edited 4/23/2013 7:31 AM by acasualfan

Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/26/2013 11:24 PM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Well...they only truth of that statement is SHE DOES want to play on the perimeter and DOES NOT want to play in the post.

She has been quoted and we have seen on the very links of her interviews her come out and say....I AM A BIG GUARD/WING. I do NOT want to be in the post banging and the coach that "gets it" is where she will play.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/27/2013 11:09 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


I got it on 10-7-2012. I'm convinced--she's a guard/wing!

With the right offense, we could run a 5-guard/wing lineup (see Princeton).

---------------------------------------------
--- Trueblue1972 wrote:

Well...they only truth of that statement is SHE DOES want to play on the perimeter and DOES NOT want to play in the post.

She has been quoted and we have seen on the very links of her interviews her come out and say....I AM A BIG GUARD/WING. I do NOT want to be in the post banging and the coach that "gets it" is where she will play.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/27/2013 11:14 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Which is why, even though I think Aja can be one of the great ones, I'm not sure Jatarie might be a more important recruit for us. On the other hand, I'm not sure in today's basketball if old concepts of positions matter very much, except for point guard.

By the way, Aja tweeted Diamind the other day with the hash line (I'm just now learning what that means) "wannnabelikeherwhenigrowup" or something like that. That doesn't mean she is going to UNC, but it can't be a bad thing.

---------------------------------------------
--- Trueblue1972 wrote:

Well...they only truth of that statement is SHE DOES want to play on the perimeter and DOES NOT want to play in the post.

She has been quoted and we have seen on the very links of her interviews her come out and say....I AM A BIG GUARD/WING. I do NOT want to be in the post banging and the coach that "gets it" is where she will play.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/27/2013 11:21 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


I am convinced A'ja is dealing with the desire to play with her best friend, and AAU teammates, and the desire to play with Diamond. UCONN, and Klempsun, I just dont see it. If her recruitment last until June, with the recent commitment, we may be good?

Last edited 4/27/2013 11:40 AM by viking131

Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/27/2013 9:53 PM

RE: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Here's my opinion of the her recuitment. If she ends up at South Carolina, she's looking to play with a friend and stay home as well as make a pretty big name for herself. If it Clemson then she looking to become the ACC all time leading scorer. It would be about the same as Elena Delle Donne going to Delaware. If she ends up a UConn then shes looking to be a part of the greatest program and maybe even team ever. If its at Carolina then the lure of Diamond and being part of a resurging program won her over. Heres my choices 1)Carolina for obcious reasons 2)USC. She'll still be on a talented team and have a chance to make deep tournament runs. 3)Clemson gives her the opporotunity to rewrite record books. 4)UConn. If Geno never got another top 15 player my life would be complete. I'd really like to see how good of a coach he really is without that elite talent. Now I dont know how many programs are going to let a 6-5 player play the guard spot. I understand thats where she wants to be but its probably not best. When your that tall on the perimeter and the person defending you is 6 inches shorter, it can create issues because they get up under you; i.e. UNC vs Stanford a couple years back. Cetera and She'la forced Pohlen into a lot of mistakes. Personally I believe she's best suited as a face-up PF; i.e Candace Parker. Most PF's are 6-2ish in college ball so she'll still have a size advantage but she will also be able to utilize her ball skills to create against them. Though I'm 99.9% sure a starting line-up of Jessica, Diamond, A'ja, Xylina and Stephanie with a bench of Jamie, Allisha and JaTarie is good for at least 2 Nattys

Last edited 4/27/2013 10:01 PM by heelfan4life88

Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/28/2013 6:13 PM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/28/2013 11:56 PM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Each of the players coming in 2013 can play at least 3 different positions. Methinks we can be accommodating.

Hopefully Jatarie comes with her.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/29/2013 7:46 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Agree!

---------------------------------------------
--- roboinfo19 wrote:

Each of the players coming in 2013 can play at least 3 different positions. Methinks we can be accommodating.

Hopefully Jatarie comes with her.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 4/29/2013 12:33 PM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Having a team of players with interchangeable parts would be a good thing. Especially on the defensive end. Imagine A'Ja out front pressing. Hard to throw over her.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/2/2013 10:34 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 




---------------------------------------------
--- Flaheelfan wrote:

Having a team of players with interchangeable parts would be a good thing. Especially on the defensive end. Imagine A'Ja out front pressing. Hard to throw over her.

---------------------------------------------

Can Sylvia coach that kind of team? Give your answer serious thought.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/2/2013 10:54 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Do you have reason to think that she can't? Give your answer serious thought. ;)

---------------------------------------------
--- intelligenthoodlum wrote:



---------------------------------------------
--- Flaheelfan wrote:

Having a team of players with interchangeable parts would be a good thing. Especially on the defensive end. Imagine A'Ja out front pressing. Hard to throw over her.

---------------------------------------------

Can Sylvia coach that kind of team? Give your answer serious thought.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/2/2013 11:08 AM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 




---------------------------------------------
--- Flaheelfan wrote:

Do you have reason to think that she can't? Give your answer serious thought. ;)

---------------------------------------------
--- intelligenthoodlum wrote:



---------------------------------------------
--- Flaheelfan wrote:

Having a team of players with interchangeable parts would be a good thing. Especially on the defensive end. Imagine A'Ja out front pressing. Hard to throw over her.

---------------------------------------------

Can Sylvia coach that kind of team? Give your answer serious thought.

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

But will she be able to draft this kind of team and beat Geno, Muffet, Kim, Jeff, Que-Dawg, Gary, Holly, Dawn?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/2/2013 12:21 PM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


She could when it was Ivory and Elena and Camille, so why not?

---------------------------------------------
--- intelligenthoodlum wrote:



---------------------------------------------
--- Flaheelfan wrote:

Do you have reason to think that she can't? Give your answer serious thought. ;)

---------------------------------------------
--- intelligenthoodlum wrote:



---------------------------------------------
--- Flaheelfan wrote:

Having a team of players with interchangeable parts would be a good thing. Especially on the defensive end. Imagine A'Ja out front pressing. Hard to throw over her.

---------------------------------------------

Can Sylvia coach that kind of team? Give your answer serious thought.

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

But will she be able to draft this kind of team and beat Geno, Muffet, Kim, Jeff, Que-Dawg, Gary, Holly, Dawn?

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 5/2/2013 1:42 PM

Re: A'Ja, UConn, & 2014 


Agreed Camille, Breland, And Atkinson all were at front of press at one point

---------------------------------------------
--- rtfritts wrote:

She could when it was Ivory and Elena and Camille, so why not?

---------------------------------------------
--- intelligenthoodlum wrote:



---------------------------------------------
--- Flaheelfan wrote:

Do you have reason to think that she can't? Give your answer serious thought. ;)

---------------------------------------------
--- intelligenthoodlum wrote:



---------------------------------------------
--- Flaheelfan wrote:

Having a team of players with interchangeable parts would be a good thing. Especially on the defensive end. Imagine A'Ja out front pressing. Hard to throw over her.

---------------------------------------------

Can Sylvia coach that kind of team? Give your answer serious thought.

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

But will she be able to draft this kind of team and beat Geno, Muffet, Kim, Jeff, Que-Dawg, Gary, Holly, Dawn?

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote