Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

Maryland leaving the ACC

Posted: 11/19/2012 11:23 AM

Maryland leaving the ACC 


Been hearing a lot of rumors about this and apparently their board approved it. Big hit to WBB but were getting Notre Dame so it'll even out.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 11:35 AM

Re: Maryland leaving the ACC 


Wow!! The love of money is the root of all evil! ADIOS MARYLAND
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 12:04 PM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


They are from what I understand $30M in debt. Where did they get the $50M for the pay out? I just hope the rumors I heard about Rutgers joining them isn't true. Pretty sure UCONN will want to bolt from the crumbling BEAST and it is no secret where they want to go. And especially as a WCBB fan, I am not a fan of that move.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 12:34 PM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


Mr Under Armour is going to foot the bill IMHO. He didn't think enough of the non revenue sports to step in but he will definitely step up for something football related. Not that it means anything but their fans are up in arms about this.

---------------------------------------------
--- uncalumni94 wrote:

They are from what I understand $30M in debt. Where did they get the $50M for the pay out? I just hope the rumors I heard about Rutgers joining them isn't true. Pretty sure UCONN will want to bolt from the crumbling BEAST and it is no secret where they want to go. And especially as a WCBB fan, I am not a fan of that move.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 12:48 PM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


Little wonder. They will get crushed by most of the Big10 schools. If this is about football as conference shifting usually is, how the heck does MD fit in with OSU, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Michigan? I'm scratching my head again as I was with the ND half foot in half foot out move. I can see the advantage for MD, but I fail to see the good it will do for the Big 10.

Word is they will not be the last to leave. I have heard rumblings regarding Clemson, GT, and FSU. Little wonder they put that pay out into place.

Would be odd, no more battles with the Freeze, unless we get them for the annual challenge. It's strange all around though as we haven't had any team leave in so many years.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 1:20 PM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


It's about maximizing their exposure and MD gives them a foot in the DC market. It's all about the green and football is turning that engine.

---------------------------------------------
--- uncalumni94 wrote:

Little wonder. They will get crushed by most of the Big10 schools. If this is about football as conference shifting usually is, how the heck does MD fit in with OSU, Penn State, Wisconsin, Michigan State and Michigan? I'm scratching my head again as I was with the ND half foot in half foot out move. I can see the advantage for MD, but I fail to see the good it will do for the Big 10.

Word is they will not be the last to leave. I have heard rumblings regarding Clemson, GT, and FSU. Little wonder they put that pay out into place.

Would be odd, no more battles with the Freeze, unless we get them for the annual challenge. It's strange all around though as we haven't had any team leave in so many years.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 1:45 PM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


This!

All this conference realignment is market-driven by the college football dollar. The SEC brought in Texas A&M and Missouri so they could expand their television footprint. The B1G wants the DC market even though the Twerps football team will wind up being bottom-dwellers of that conference.


---------------------------------------------
--- Flaheelfan wrote:

It's about maximizing their exposure and MD gives them a foot in the DC market. It's all about the green and football is turning that engine.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 2:14 PM

Re: Maryland leaving the ACC 


Maryland will NEVER get real football players to win in the Big Ten. They will ALWAYS get smashed.
At least Nike Oregon makes sure the bills get paid, and they don't drop sports.
That's more than the IH can say for Under Armour boy Plank.
The Freeze should be okay scheduling all of those midwest cupcakes. And challenging for the Big Ten championship every year, then losing in the Elite-Eight of the NC's every year...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 3:56 PM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


Just watched the Maryland press conference. It's official. And Rutgers will most likely follow them and probably announce tomorrow.

And the media buzz right now is that UCONN may be next in line to replace MD. It'll be interesting to see how this all plays out.


---------------------------------------------
--- uncalumni94 wrote:

I just hope the rumors I heard about Rutgers joining them isn't true. Pretty sure UCONN will want to bolt from the crumbling BEAST and it is no secret where they want to go. And especially as a WCBB fan, I am not a fan of that move.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 5:41 PM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


I'm glad they are gone -- their fans are jerks and classless
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 7:55 PM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


I just saw the conference too as since the men are killing their opponent in the Maui game, I'm watching Women's basketball (Purdue) on the Big Ten Network. Apparently it's not over. Talks of more and more shuffling. It is well known FSU wants out. Big 10 apparently wants to go to 16 teams and wants an additional ACC School. FSU I don't think fits with them geographically. SEC apparently also wants one or two and have long been expressing interest in UVA and UNC. I had previously heard UNC said no to the SEC, but heard today it was not really "No", but more "Not Now" when the invitation came 2 years ago.

Supposedly losing another team would make the ACC unstable. I can't imagine not being in the ACC, but it wouldn't be the first thing to happen after I said I couldn't imagine it.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 7:58 PM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


the 30 million dollar debt is just from Brenda's basketball team. The overall debt is 85 million dollars.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/19/2012 11:40 PM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


It is absolutely idiotic to keep shuffling conferences like this. It shows (as usual) no respect whatever for the fans. Some day they will kill college sports with this insane pursuit of football revenue.

My suggestion: allow football programs to affiliate in whatever conferences they want - make up new ones if they like - after all, this is about match-ups, TV markets, rivalries. The revenue still flows to the schools. It has worked in other cases where football has been on one conference and the remaining sports in another.

As for Maryland, they are fools to leave the ACC. Bye-Bye. A $50 million buy-out? Let's see what sports they cut to make that work.

UNC should NEVER leave the ACC. I cannot imagine why we would want to, with Notre Dame (and probably UConn) coming in. It would be the #1 basketball conference (men's and women's) in the country. Other sports are strong. If the Trustees even consider such an idea, then we need new Trustees that aren't brain dead.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/20/2012 1:36 AM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


+1000000000

---------------------------------------------
--- ZinfanHeel wrote:

It is absolutely idiotic to keep shuffling conferences like this. It shows (as usual) no respect whatever for the fans. Some day they will kill college sports with this insane pursuit of football revenue.


---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/20/2012 2:16 AM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 




---------------------------------------------
--- ZinfanHeel wrote:


As for Maryland, they are fools to leave the ACC. Bye-Bye. A $50 million buy-out? Let's see what sports they cut to make that work.

---------------------------------------------

The odds are slim Maryland will pay the $50 million dollar buy-out. The AD is already talking about bringing back teams that were eliminated. The TV contract should add $7-15 million dollars per year.

Womens basketball is laughing all the way to the bank. They will get a budget increase, and continue to lose millions every year. Frese will demand another big contract, and get it, because they will win 30 games in a weak conference. Frese doesn't have to play UNC, Duke, GA Tech, or Notre Dame .
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/20/2012 6:29 AM

Re: Maryland leaving the ACC 


The 50 mil buyout will probably be or already has been negotiated down. I know Football is huge in the Big but I dont think Maryland should have huge aspirations that they will be a real player in football in that league. They hope to piggy back on Ohio ST Mich and Penn State..

As far as WBB recruiting this imo will do nothing but hurt them in the DMV hotbed because of the Geography switch. Should really help UVA and UNC going forward just my opinion.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/20/2012 7:59 AM

Re: Maryland leaving the ACC 


The ACC can't afford to have the buy out negotiated down. That would make the buy out worthless and more teams will want to leave. That was the whole point to them raising the price recently- to avoid teams bolting the conference.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/20/2012 10:02 AM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


I have heard a lot of different things as to how they are going to deal with the buyout because that was the main thing that had so many people thinking MD would never leave.

Negotiate it down
Try to get it declared invalid
That the Big10 or B1G or whatever will cover some or all of it
MD will sue the ACC to get out of paying it

They do play some defense in the B1G, so we’ll see how MD does after Thomas graduates, but most feel they’ll run through conference play every year, but be unprepared for the NCAAs. Some alumni of the 2006 championship team have been voicing their displeasure over the change, specifically siting the loss of the rivalries between them, the Tar Heels and Blue Devils. Toliver said it was like trading in your Bently for a Buick.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/20/2012 10:03 AM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


I'm just curious if sports like women's basketball lose so much money for schools, wouldn't having to fly to Iowa City, Lincoln, and Detroit (Ann Arbor), etc. be more of a drain to not just non-revenue sports but revenue sports as well?

Ridiculous move, but a desperate one. I think there will be a short-term jolt of excitement, but long term this may really end up hurting them.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/20/2012 10:16 AM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


The buyout will not be negotiated down. The ACC made sure there were no loopholes.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/20/2012 10:24 AM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


I still think Under Armour money is going to pay it. It is a shame that same money couldn't save some of the non revenues from ceasing operations.

---------------------------------------------
--- jsb23nc wrote:

The buyout will not be negotiated down. The ACC made sure there were no loopholes.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/20/2012 10:37 AM

Re: Maryland leaving the ACC 


Let's see how The Freeze likes having a National Guard escort to Iowa in the middle of a winter blizzard.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/20/2012 4:05 PM

RE: Maryland leaving the ACC 


This article says Under Armor CEO Kevin Plank will not pay any of it.

www.bizjournals.com/baltimore/...c-exit-fee.html

Not sure I believe that as he seems to be pushing for this move.


---------------------------------------------
--- Flaheelfan wrote:

I still think Under Armour money is going to pay it. It is a shame that same money couldn't save some of the non revenues from ceasing operations.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/20/2012 6:05 PM

Re: Maryland leaving the ACC 


BYE!!!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/20/2012 7:13 PM

Re: Maryland leaving the ACC 


I second Trueblue1972's emotions, yet I do like the uniqueness of your FB uniforms. Took courage to do that. NASTY.

---------------------------------------------
--- Trueblue1972 wrote:

BYE!!!!

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote