Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

Utah And The Firing Squad Execution

Avatar

Posted: 6/17/2010 3:25 PM

Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 


A man is hours away from being executed in Utah by a firing squad.

He could have chosed execution by injection but chose the firing squad instead.

Of course he is still filing all kinds of late hour petitions, one being that having been held on death row for 25 years is a form of unusual and cruel punishment. What he fails to mention is that he has lived for those 25 years by filing appeal after appeal.

There is no question of his guilt. He murdered an attorney while trying to escape from a court room.

As for the firing squad....while it may seem barbaric, it's actually the most humane way to execute someone.

There is a "bang" and then he is dead. No pain, no prolonged agony, just death.

SPECIAL FORCES SKULL & WINGS PIN

Last edited 6/17/2010 3:48 PM by wolley

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2010 12:24 PM

Re: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 


I heard that mentioned yesterday as well, that firing squad was the most humane way to go, but never heard the explanation why.

With lethal injection, yes it may do harsh things to your body, but you aren't aware of it because you're knocked out deeper than if you were having surgery.

Getting shot is painful, you have the burning sharp pain at the entry point, then, even in best case scenario, you are still alive for at least a few seconds until you 'bleed out'. 

So can anyone offer a more detailed explanation?  Calling all docs ...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2010 2:13 PM

RE: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 


100% accuracy on everything Wolley said.

His 8th amendment cruel and unusual punishment argument is mooted by the fact that his 25 years on death row is a result of his own appeals.

Firing squad is quicker, easier, more humane than lethal injection, electric chair, gas chamber and hanging (these are the five methods available somewhere in the US).

Lethal injection: chemical one freezes you by incapacitating your muscles, but does not dull the agonizing pain of chemical three. Chemical two thins your blood. Chemical three kills you, in agonizing pain that is not numbed by chemical one, but you cannot convulse, tense, scream, clench teeth. You can only sit there unmoving while chemical three burns you from the inside out.

Electrocution: everyone reacts differently to the voltage. Some die. Some do not until it is applied for 90+ seconds. Sometimes your head catches on fire. The last electrocution performed in Florida resulted in orange and blue flames flying from the prisoner's eyes and ears (Go Gators!)

Hanging: it's a lost art. The medievals did it a lot better than we do. Rope length exactly right equals broken neck with instaneous death and a loosening of bowels. Rope too long, decapitation. Rope too short, you just dangle there kicking and twitching while you choke to death.

Gas chamber: choke on fumes while your eyes melt. 'nuff said.

Firing squad: five shooters, four with deadly rounds. Using high powered rifles all aiming at the heart, from a distance of 25 feet. Equal, instaneous death, no pain.


If you ever find yourself facing execution, choose firing squad.


 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2010 2:38 PM

Re: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 


I hope to goodness I'm NEVER in a position to have to choose - but gimme the firing squad confused

Lethal Injection uses 3 chemicals:

1)  Nasty-ass Sodium Pentothal (before soy-based, short-acting Diprivan was used & killed Michael Jackson, this heavy duty anesthetic was used for years & you'd wish you were dead when you woke up from it because of the nausea disbelief)

2)  Anectine (or Tracrium) - used to completely paralyze your body

3)  (an overdose of) Potassium Chloride - just to make sure your heart stops.

If you're lucky, you'll just die (after a few minutes of paralyzed suffocation) .........  NICE.

Nooooooo thank you ohlord

Last edited 6/18/2010 2:45 PM by MrsMD22

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2010 2:54 PM

RE: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 


How will you feel anything if you are knocked out from the first injection?

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2010 3:02 PM

Re: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 


Just as it takes varying degrees of liquor to make different people drunk, it takes different doses of anesthetic to put someone to sleep (usually based on weight).
IIRC, they hook up about 500 mLs (about 1/2 a liter) of each chemical - you HOPE that's enough, but theorectically, you just don't KNOW.....and we've never been able to ask, "Hey - how'd that feel?"

If it was ME, I wouldn't want to find out how "well" it works (or not) - that's NOT how I'd want my last moment of life
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2010 8:28 AM

Re: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 



MrsMD22 wrote: Just as it takes varying degrees of liquor to make different people drunk, it takes different doses of anesthetic to put someone to sleep (usually based on weight).
IIRC, they hook up about 500 mLs (about 1/2 a liter) of each chemical - you HOPE that's enough, but theorectically, you just don't KNOW.....and we've never been able to ask, "Hey - how'd that feel?"

If it was ME, I wouldn't want to find out how "well" it works (or not) - that's NOT how I'd want my last moment of life

Why not give them a little bit of morphine first then?  Then the sedative and so on.

But bottom line. Who cares? These guys are getting put to death for a reason. How long did their victims suffer?

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2010 9:12 AM

Re: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 


I don't believe in the judicial interpretation of the 6th Amendment. I think it is contextual. You torture your victim for a week, you die being tortured to death in the same manner. You set your own bar and context when you take another life as to what is cruel and unusual. noidea








Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2010 9:14 AM

Re: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 



Monkster wrote: I don't believe in the judicial interpretation of the 6th Amendment. I think it is contextual. You torture your victim for a week, you die being tortured to death in the same manner. You set your own bar and context when you take another life as to what is cruel and unusual. noidea

Hehe
I agree. Especially when the victims are children

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2010 9:27 AM

Re: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 



Monkster wrote: I don't believe in the judicial interpretation of the 6th Amendment. I think it is contextual. You torture your victim for a week, you die being tortured to death in the same manner. You set your own bar and context when you take another life as to what is cruel and unusual. noidea
Sometimes I take that a bit further,  I believe some of these guys should be released with a public announcement in the paper in the home town of the victims family during a police holiday.

Dad

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2010 9:33 AM

RE: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 



TheOriginalPhil wrote: 100% accuracy on everything Wolley said.

His 8th amendment cruel and unusual punishment argument is mooted by the fact that his 25 years on death row is a result of his own appeals.

Firing squad is quicker, easier, more humane than lethal injection, electric chair, gas chamber and hanging (these are the five methods available somewhere in the US).

Lethal injection: chemical one freezes you by incapacitating your muscles, but does not dull the agonizing pain of chemical three. Chemical two thins your blood. Chemical three kills you, in agonizing pain that is not numbed by chemical one, but you cannot convulse, tense, scream, clench teeth. You can only sit there unmoving while chemical three burns you from the inside out.

Electrocution: everyone reacts differently to the voltage. Some die. Some do not until it is applied for 90+ seconds. Sometimes your head catches on fire. The last electrocution performed in Florida resulted in orange and blue flames flying from the prisoner's eyes and ears (Go Gators!)

Hanging: it's a lost art. The medievals did it a lot better than we do. Rope length exactly right equals broken neck with instaneous death and a loosening of bowels. Rope too long, decapitation. Rope too short, you just dangle there kicking and twitching while you choke to death.

Gas chamber: choke on fumes while your eyes melt. 'nuff said.

Firing squad: five shooters, four with deadly rounds. Using high powered rifles all aiming at the heart, from a distance of 25 feet. Equal, instaneous death, no pain.


If you ever find yourself facing execution, choose firing squad.

But how is the death from firing squad instant?  That's what I'm trying to understand.  I would think it would take a few seconds for the lack of blood to reach, or not reach as is the case, your brain, and then you pass out from lack of oxygen to the brain.  It seems like that would take at least a few seconds in which you would be experiencing all the pain and trauma from the bullet entry points.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2010 1:46 PM

RE: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 


Have you ever been hit by anything like a bullet?

During WWII, my brother was hit by a piece of shrapnel in his upper leg. He didn't even realize that he had been hit until he felt blood in his shoes, An it was a nize size piece. And those things are not smooth like a bullet but jagged.

So no, I don't think the person suffers. However, doesn't a killer deserve just a little pain? And I don't mean torture, just a little of what he gave to others?

SPECIAL FORCES SKULL & WINGS PIN

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2010 2:22 PM

RE: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 


I'm not sure that death by firing squad is instantaneuous.    Many people have been hit by bullets and not felt it due to rushes of adrenalin, others have felt it quite a bit.  

I think the female police officer that was recently shot in the leg by the muslim army terrorist in Texas said it felt like her leg was ripped off.

Anyway, you can have several fatal injuries (by being shot) and continue fighting.  Getting shot right in the heart would cause a massive drop in blood pressure causing "instantaneous" death, within six seconds, but not instantly.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2010 2:30 PM

RE: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 


I'm glad the guy is toast. Got what he deserved.

That said, who are the folks that do the shooting???

They have to be an interesting, for lack of a better word, bunch.

HBTD!!!

[image]

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2010 3:27 PM

RE: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 


Well, since they don't know who fired the fatal shots it's probably eases their conscience.

But to tell the truth, would it be a great emotional problem for people to pull the trigger on a killer?

People have no concerns with killing an innocent animal, just for the fun of it. So I don't think killing a murderer is such a big deal.

Just think about this.......if you could have sat back in your chair at home and with the push of a button killed a Hitler or a Stalin or a Bin Laden, would you have not done it? And while these people were mass murderers, the person who murders just one person is no better. Murder is murder. You take one life or a thousands lives, it's all the same to the dead.

SPECIAL FORCES SKULL & WINGS PIN

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2010 4:03 PM

RE: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 



TheOriginalPhil wrote:

Firing squad: five shooters, four with deadly rounds. Using high powered rifles all aiming at the heart, from a distance of 25 feet. Equal, instaneous death, no pain.


Why is it instantaneous death?  The blood in your brain has enough oxygen in it to keep it alive for seconds, perhaps even minutes, despite your heart being shredded.  Unless there is a sudden drop in pressure and you pass out from that, I don't see how it can be instantaneous.

It least the soviets put the bullet in the back of the head.

And before you corporal punishment fans get your knickers in a twist, I'm not arguing aginst the use of a firing squad,  merely the premise that death that way is immediate.


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2010 4:07 PM

RE: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 



wolley wrote: Well, since they don't know who fired the fatal shots it's probably eases their conscience.

But to tell the truth, would it be a great emotional problem for people to pull the trigger on a killer?

People have no concerns with killing an innocent animal, just for the fun of it. So I don't think killing a murderer is such a big deal.

Just think about this.......if you could have sat back in your chair at home and with the push of a button killed a Hitler or a Stalin or a Bin Laden, would you have not done it? And while these people were mass murderers, the person who murders just one person is no better. Murder is murder. You take one life or a thousands lives, it's all the same to the dead.

But you don't kill Hitler or Stalin.  You kill some poor black guy with a ****** court appointed lawyer and who might have got railroaded or mis-identified or appallingly defended.  I'm seeing too many guys on the nightly news released after 15 years in the slammer due to a DNA test, to think that we know wtf we're doing.


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2010 4:45 PM

RE: Utah And The Firing Squad Execution 


I'm not justifying our system of justice. Just saying that a "known" murderer, as this guy was, shouldn't upset people who pull the trigger on him.

Who knows, there may be some pain, but the body goes into shock and it really is over very quickly.

The main thing is, who cares if there is a little pain? And you are correct, the Soviet way of execution was quick, with a pistol shot through a peep-hole in the cell. But there you did have a lot of innocent people murdered by the state.

And for this guy to sit on death row for 25 years is a ridiculous waste of time and resources. There was no doubt of his guilt, he killed a lawyer in a courtroom while trying to escape. He should have been put to death within six months.

SPECIAL FORCES SKULL & WINGS PIN

Reply | Quote