Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >

Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat.

Posted: 7/22/2014 2:06 AM

Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


I'm not an overly political person, but I do my best to pay attention to what is going on in our country. From an early age, I have made it a point to watch politicians and listen to what they have to say. I grew up during the Clinton/Gore years, and from my experience (and with every fiber of my being), I believe that the Democrats have always been a party of the people. I'm sure that they haven't always been that way, but they are now, and that is good enough for me.

Democrats have always resonated with me because they seem to be the ones who do what they do for the common good of who I would call "the little guy." This is mostly as a result of my personal beliefs. I believe that every American should work hard and strive to be successful, and also should and can have a fair and equal chance to be successful in our country. I have seen that Democrats have generally been very good at working towards this, where as Republicans generally have not.

I also believe in investing heavily in our educational system. Education is something that is very important to me, as the fact that a great education is a key that opens many doors for our nation's youth is a fact that was ingrained in me from an early age. Democrats have generally demonstrated the same sentiments, and Republicans generally have not.

As the son of immigrants, I believe in reforming our immigration policies so that everyone who comes to our country to make a new life for themselves and those they care about the most will have the opportunity to do so. We are a nation of immigrants. Who are we to thumb our noses at those who immigrate to our country? I understand the need to protect our borders from enemies, but this country is and has always been a melting pot of nationalities, ethnicities, and other social groups, for crying out loud. The Democrats, I feel, realize this more than Republicans do.

I believe in marriage equality. Yes, homosexuality is a sin. But that is where the criticism should end. It is inconceivable that the rights of LGBT man and women should be infringed upon simply because of their sexual preferences. As a human being, I cannot, in good conscience, support the infringement upon the rights of the LGBT community in the name of religion. I'm not saying that every Christian does this, but there are some that do, and I find it disgusting. Therefore, I think that they have as much right as anyone to get married.

I believe that there should be gun control. I believe that people as of late have been taking gross advantage of their Second Amendment rights, thinking that every problem can be solved simply by picking up a gun. Sandy Hook did it; for me, the unspeakable murder of 20 school children is not something that we should keep quiet about. If this isn't enough to do something about gun control, then what is? Will it take some nut with an AR-15 shooting up newborn babies in a hospital? What about some nut using said AR-15 to shoot elderly citizens in a nursing home, only to hide behind the Second Amendment? There is an obligation to make our country safe for all citizens, especially our children. If I had a child, I would be very apprehensive of the world we live in, unless purchasing and owning firearms are made enormously difficult.

I also believe the science that suggests that climate change is real. I believe in investing in alternate forms of energy. I am a firm believer in preserving our environment and making our country and the world a cleaner, safer place to live not only for us, but for the next generations. And guess what? I am a Christian, but I also believe in the separation of church and state.

I could go on forever. But I'm sleepy, so I won't.

I know that some of you will be quick to poke fun at me and criticize me for being a liberal and having progressive liberal views. Some of you will even be even quicker to make fun of me when I tell you that I voted for President Barack Obama both times. I believe in him. I know he can't, but if he were to run for a third term, I'd vote for him again. And I wouldn't feel bad about it. Why? Because he has shown me on numerous occasions, that he genuinely cares about "the little guy." I haven't seen a single Republican (at least not yet) who has done that.

If your frustration is with all politicians in Washington, it is warranted. But Obama shouldn't be the scapegoat. It is the leaders that YOU voted for, especially those who are from right here in Tennessee. They all have disappointed me to no end.

I always wonder how I can cope with being a liberal in the reddest of states. All I have to do is to stand on my own two feet, think for myself, listen to my conscience, and determine if it will help or hurt the American people.

Yes, I am a liberal. I have views that are not particularly popular on here or in Tennessee. But I will not be deterred from letting my voice be heard.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 3:00 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 



GothicVolunteer13 wrote: I'm not an overly political person, but I do my best to pay attention to what is going on in our country. From an early age, I have made it a point to watch politicians and listen to what they have to say. I grew up during the Clinton/Gore years, and from my experience (and with every fiber of my being), I believe that the Democrats have always been a party of the people. I'm sure that they haven't always been that way, but they are now, and that is good enough for me.

Democrats have always resonated with me because they seem to be the ones who do what they do for the common good of who I would call "the little guy." This is mostly as a result of my personal beliefs. I believe that every American should work hard and strive to be successful, and also should and can have a fair and equal chance to be successful in our country. I have seen that Democrats have generally been very good at working towards this, where as Republicans generally have not.

I also believe in investing heavily in our educational system. Education is something that is very important to me, as the fact that a great education is a key that opens many doors for our nation's youth is a fact that was ingrained in me from an early age. Democrats have generally demonstrated the same sentiments, and Republicans generally have not.

As the son of immigrants, I believe in reforming our immigration policies so that everyone who comes to our country to make a new life for themselves and those they care about the most will have the opportunity to do so. We are a nation of immigrants. Who are we to thumb our noses at those who immigrate to our country? I understand the need to protect our borders from enemies, but this country is and has always been a melting pot of nationalities, ethnicities, and other social groups, for crying out loud. The Democrats, I feel, realize this more than Republicans do.

I believe in marriage equality. Yes, homosexuality is a sin. But that is where the criticism should end. It is inconceivable that the rights of LGBT man and women should be infringed upon simply because of their sexual preferences. As a human being, I cannot, in good conscience, support the infringement upon the rights of the LGBT community in the name of religion. I'm not saying that every Christian does this, but there are some that do, and I find it disgusting. Therefore, I think that they have as much right as anyone to get married.

I believe that there should be gun control. I believe that people as of late have been taking gross advantage of their Second Amendment rights, thinking that every problem can be solved simply by picking up a gun. Sandy Hook did it; for me, the unspeakable murder of 20 school children is not something that we should keep quiet about. If this isn't enough to do something about gun control, then what is? Will it take some nut with an AR-15 shooting up newborn babies in a hospital? What about some nut using said AR-15 to shoot elderly citizens in a nursing home, only to hide behind the Second Amendment? There is an obligation to make our country safe for all citizens, especially our children. If I had a child, I would be very apprehensive of the world we live in, unless purchasing and owning firearms are made enormously difficult.

I also believe the science that suggests that climate change is real. I believe in investing in alternate forms of energy. I am a firm believer in preserving our environment and making our country and the world a cleaner, safer place to live not only for us, but for the next generations. And guess what? I am a Christian, but I also believe in the separation of church and state.

I could go on forever. But I'm sleepy, so I won't.

I know that some of you will be quick to poke fun at me and criticize me for being a liberal and having progressive liberal views. Some of you will even be even quicker to make fun of me when I tell you that I voted for President Barack Obama both times. I believe in him. I know he can't, but if he were to run for a third term, I'd vote for him again. And I wouldn't feel bad about it. Why? Because he has shown me on numerous occasions, that he genuinely cares about "the little guy." I haven't seen a single Republican (at least not yet) who has done that.

If your frustration is with all politicians in Washington, it is warranted. But Obama shouldn't be the scapegoat. It is the leaders that YOU voted for, especially those who are from right here in Tennessee. They all have disappointed me to no end.

I always wonder how I can cope with being a liberal in the reddest of states. All I have to do is to stand on my own two feet, think for myself, listen to my conscience, and determine if it will help or hurt the American people.

Yes, I am a liberal. I have views that are not particularly popular on here or in Tennessee. But I will not be deterred from letting my voice be heard.


In your first sentence, you say, "but I do my best to pay attention to what is going on in our country." and then you spend the rest of your post showing that, while I'll accept that you're doing your best, you're viewing everything through a very "interesting" set of filters and losing most of the valid info.

Hint: talking points from the editorial page of the NYT are NOT a good reflection of reality.

Take another shot at it, and I wish you better luck this time.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 7:38 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


I was going to take this part by part. However, I decided not to waste unneeded energy when it can be summed up in one simple statement.

I don't think you understand the concept of rights.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 8:18 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


You could have made it a lot shorter by saying that you were a socialist democrat from an early age and not try to justify your beliefs with all the democrat talking points.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 8:27 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


Best solution for being a blue voter in a red state is to move to Nashville!   You'll still be stuck our state legislature, but at least in your day to day life, you won't feel like the odd man out. Heck, even if you're a UT fan, you'd fit in here. tongue
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 8:28 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


Typical low info voter who believes that the MSM is pitting out "news" i see.NEWFLASH for you - The MSM are just propaganda outfits for the major corporations.

You are not a liberal. You are a communist and dont know it.

Think about these questions if you dare.

At a current unemployment rate of around 20%, where do you plan to get jobs for EVERY immigrant that comes here for a better life?
Where can you go to get AUTOMATIC weapons since we have no gun control in this country?
Additionally, why is it that in cities that have that have the gun control the govt wants the crime rate and murder rate is higher than in places that have open carry ie Chicago, Wash DC, etc?
Since when is "belief" required in science? The Sahara used to be a green pasture paradise so what was it that was emitting so much CO2 that it turned it into a desert? Why is it all the computer models using the climate scientists version of the climate WRONG and overestimated the temp rise due to CO2?
Also try reading the federalists papers. In those papers the founders reveal that they setup the govt to FIGHT AGAINST ITSELF thus leaving the people to be free from the government. In other words, they setup the govt to be in gridlock.  The idea that the govt must always be passing laws in order to help the people is a crock created by the MSM.

Just a little advice. Try reading some REAL history and not getting your news from the communist MSM who would like to keep us uniformed and in the current slave state what we are in. You think that you are free? Try not paying the unconstitutional taxes that the feds have passed and see what happens to ya.

Think  that the US is not a communist country? Where did FDR get the money to keep the country going in the 1930s? The banks right? Well what did he use for collateral to get the loans? The land and the People of the US. Now what kinda govt claims to OWN all the land and  people in the country that it controls?


Finally, REAL liberals wrote the Constitution. Not the people who today wish to see that document destroyed i.e. the US govt., Democrats, Republican, etc. You are not a real liberal if you support the above policies.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 8:30 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


Gothic one, I support your decision to be whatever you want to be and support whatever you want to support, so long as it doesn't infringe on my rights as outlined in the founding documents of this great land; it is without fortune that it turns out you actually are in support of relinquishing rights given by God and recognized by the second amendment, though. 

it is a lack of logic, whether viewed form the left angle or the right angle, that legislation will end gun violence.  It will actually increase it when the violent offenders with no consideration for the law will be the only ones (non gov't blessed) to have weapons, and will be capable of doing what they want without fear of encountering defensed targets.  Educate yourself with Australia's issues, then, for contrast, read on Switzerland (who has the highest percentage of gun owners in the world) and their lack of violence.  you liberals are simply placing blame on an inanimate object because you don't have the balls to look evil in the eye and call it for what it is- and that evil is perpetuated by the left by not holding people responsible for actions... shoot, the left is not even holding people responsible for inaction either- "don't want to work? fine, here's your paycheck anyway"...

it's the inability to govern fairly and the desire to be everyone's buddy coexisting in the same doctrine that is the huge gap in the liberal agenda- a huge hole where logic escapes which inspires people to attempt to alter the rules, instead... it's a failed experiment, already...

as i've said here before, liberalism and notions leading up to but not including progressive mentalities (progressivism is a sickness) are luxuries that are dependent on conservative principles.. liberals can't exist without conservatives paving the way, though conservatives can exist no matter the climate.  Liberals are as the playful and lazy squirrel who plays all summer long while his peers store for winter the majority of their day, and then when winter hits and the food isn't just laying casually around they attempt mental gymnastics in effort to legislate their ownership of others prosperity... the conservative squirrels will exist in the spring, due to their productiveness, yet they will give birth to an animal unexposed to hardships and the value of production, who play all summer long.....

it's your choice, gothic, and I personally will support your right to have whatever choice you want- but, your right to infringe on the lives of productive peoples, and who are the true backbone of this great country is something I'll never ever support.
Reply | Quote
  • indyv
  • Head Coach
  • 15166 posts this site

Posted: 7/22/2014 8:37 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 



GothicVolunteer13 wrote: I'm not an overly political person, but I do my best to pay attention to what is going on in our country. From an early age, I have made it a point to watch politicians and listen to what they have to say. I grew up during the Clinton/Gore years, and from my experience (and with every fiber of my being), I believe that the Democrats have always been a party of the people. I'm sure that they haven't always been that way, but they are now, and that is good enough for me.

Democrats have always resonated with me because they seem to be the ones who do what they do for the common good of who I would call "the little guy." This is mostly as a result of my personal beliefs. I believe that every American should work hard and strive to be successful, and also should and can have a fair and equal chance to be successful in our country. I have seen that Democrats have generally been very good at working towards this, where as Republicans generally have not.

I also believe in investing heavily in our educational system. Education is something that is very important to me, as the fact that a great education is a key that opens many doors for our nation's youth is a fact that was ingrained in me from an early age. Democrats have generally demonstrated the same sentiments, and Republicans generally have not.

As the son of immigrants, I believe in reforming our immigration policies so that everyone who comes to our country to make a new life for themselves and those they care about the most will have the opportunity to do so. We are a nation of immigrants. Who are we to thumb our noses at those who immigrate to our country? I understand the need to protect our borders from enemies, but this country is and has always been a melting pot of nationalities, ethnicities, and other social groups, for crying out loud. The Democrats, I feel, realize this more than Republicans do.

I believe in marriage equality. Yes, homosexuality is a sin. But that is where the criticism should end. It is inconceivable that the rights of LGBT man and women should be infringed upon simply because of their sexual preferences. As a human being, I cannot, in good conscience, support the infringement upon the rights of the LGBT community in the name of religion. I'm not saying that every Christian does this, but there are some that do, and I find it disgusting. Therefore, I think that they have as much right as anyone to get married.

I believe that there should be gun control. I believe that people as of late have been taking gross advantage of their Second Amendment rights, thinking that every problem can be solved simply by picking up a gun. Sandy Hook did it; for me, the unspeakable murder of 20 school children is not something that we should keep quiet about. If this isn't enough to do something about gun control, then what is? Will it take some nut with an AR-15 shooting up newborn babies in a hospital? What about some nut using said AR-15 to shoot elderly citizens in a nursing home, only to hide behind the Second Amendment? There is an obligation to make our country safe for all citizens, especially our children. If I had a child, I would be very apprehensive of the world we live in, unless purchasing and owning firearms are made enormously difficult.

I also believe the science that suggests that climate change is real. I believe in investing in alternate forms of energy. I am a firm believer in preserving our environment and making our country and the world a cleaner, safer place to live not only for us, but for the next generations. And guess what? I am a Christian, but I also believe in the separation of church and state.

I could go on forever. But I'm sleepy, so I won't.

I know that some of you will be quick to poke fun at me and criticize me for being a liberal and having progressive liberal views. Some of you will even be even quicker to make fun of me when I tell you that I voted for President Barack Obama both times. I believe in him. I know he can't, but if he were to run for a third term, I'd vote for him again. And I wouldn't feel bad about it. Why? Because he has shown me on numerous occasions, that he genuinely cares about "the little guy." I haven't seen a single Republican (at least not yet) who has done that.

If your frustration is with all politicians in Washington, it is warranted. But Obama shouldn't be the scapegoat. It is the leaders that YOU voted for, especially those who are from right here in Tennessee. They all have disappointed me to no end.

I always wonder how I can cope with being a liberal in the reddest of states. All I have to do is to stand on my own two feet, think for myself, listen to my conscience, and determine if it will help or hurt the American people.

Yes, I am a liberal. I have views that are not particularly popular on here or in Tennessee. But I will not be deterred from letting my voice be heard.
good post Gothic.....the only problem with it is common sense is no longer a factor in today's America.....it has not been since we elected a black man.....it has not been since the advent of conservative hate media.....I pasted a post yesterday criticizing Ronald Reagan just to see what kind of retort I would get......I got exactly what I expected.....

conservative hate media came into being because money was available by certain conservatives to do it.....they knew that there is in this nation still a large segment of the Dixiecrat mentality; the whole McCarthyism; and they have played this element and reaped  the money......which is what it is all about to present day conservatives; the nation be damned.....they have no solutions; no answers; no plans other than the destruction of compromise and common sense.....I have often wonder if there were no liberalism what these people would have to bitc about.....

but that aside; as there will always be bigoted and hateful people; the result of this hate media has been the injection into political play the idea that common sense and compromise and the nation's best interest are secondary to winning at all costs and their belief that they must be in control.....of everything.....like the Nazis of the 1920's and 30's their objective is gain power by preaching hate and nationalism under the guise of their feigned religious morality......

their days are numbered.....and they know it.....the nation is changing and they cannot stop it
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 8:55 AM

Translation 


Move to Nashville where there is a high minority population that automatically votes Democrat  with with a very high rate of L.I.V.'s  and the Nashville Tennessean  to let you forget about how incompetent and corrupt this administration has been,
A perfect place to move and you could always move to Memphis if Nashville doesn't work out.

Last edited 7/22/2014 8:56 AM by roadvol

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 9:00 AM

Suggestion 


Read something besides liberal blogs and newspapers and watch something besides the MSM.
You don't have to quit watching and reading them but at least look into something that doesn't parrot the talking points of the DNC.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 9:05 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


Indy posting about common sense makes about as much sense as Obama speaking of competence and integrity.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 9:07 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


What does "gothic" in your handle represent?

Are you a goth?  Visigoth?  Is it for a gothic cathedral?  Are you part of the goth culture?  Like heavy metal music?

Just curious.  I assume your choice of the word says something about your belief system.

Last edited 7/22/2014 9:09 AM by billyboy75

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 9:09 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


Better yet move to NYC where your views are shared and take indy, fuzzy and VW with you.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 9:15 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


Now that's what I'm talkin about.

biggrin

TNGYM wrote: Better yet move to NYC where your views are shared and take indy, fuzzy and VW with you.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 9:18 AM

Re: Translation 



roadvol wrote: Move to Nashville where there is a high minority population that automatically votes Democrat  with with a very high rate of L.I.V.'s  and the Nashville Tennessean  to let you forget about how incompetent and corrupt this administration has been,
A perfect place to move and you could always move to Memphis if Nashville doesn't work out.

rolleyes
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 9:21 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 



Bravo!

I applaud you for the clear, concise representation of your views, Gothic.   They well encapsulate those of the 52% -- and growing -- majority.  And are the perfect seedbed for increased statist control on all levels.  Soon, it will be nearly impossible, for those who still hold them, to explain what the conservative view is.  You will have to lay the groundwork for that explanation, by trying to convey some dim sense of individual rights and responsibilities, the source of those rights and responsibilities, etc.

It will be like trying to convey the concepts of "sin", "repentance", and "forgiveness" now.

The common vernacular has shrunk, to exclude such concepts. 

Gentlemen -- I give you the future.

And you know what?  It won't be so bad.  Most people will like it just fine (with enough anti-depressant, and anti-anxiety medication).  The few who remain aware of any other possible future will just have to take whatever solace they can in their personal lives; the shared social, political, and entertainment culture will be an increasingly dreary, low-thermal, vulgar exercise in banality, as we see occurring now.  

But most won't know any different.  As was said about NYC, during the height of its liberal dysfunction before -- was it Koch? -- came in and cleaned the place up a bit:  the future will be an insane asylum, built by its denizens, and one which they take a perverse jingoistic pride in.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 9:42 AM

An interesting take on things 


Why would you even question allowing your voice to be heard? Or how you will cope? Sounds like a lot of drama to me. Just get up, prepare for the day, and go do your thing! Whatever that may be. Unless of course, you are hamstrung by the many regulations and laws out there that are burgeoning beyond all common sense.

You were doing ok with your post, though I disagree with most of your views, until you stated that you would vote again for Obama.

The guy is patently dishonest. Therefore you just let everybody here know that you believe in a patently dishonest person as the leader of our country. Regardless of alternatives, you would select him. I find it interesting that to a person, the people of a liberal mind set on this board, continue to support people who appear to be giving them what they want, regardless of a lack of integrity and morality.

If a leader lacks integrity, how could you believe in him? Answer that for yourself, and perhaps that will,give you some indication as to why you feel the way you do about your "voice" being heard. Notice I said to answer it, not justify it. There is a big difference between the two.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 9:47 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


Life, Liberty, and the Pursuit of Happiness...

You might as well have just said "I believe Democrats favor these things while Republicans do not."

You do yourself a disservice when you box yourself in like that. It goes back to the adage that republicans believe democrats are wrong, while democrats believe republicans are evil.

I think both republicans and democrats believe in many of the things you mentioned. My observation has been that Democrats more often lack understanding, empower big government and enact foolish policies that, although well-intended, seldom accomplish success but in the process inadvertently diminish freedoms.

Hopefully you don't think that I am taking gross advantage of my First Amendment rights in saying that.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 10:18 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


If you want to see vulgar banality, catch an episode or two of HBO's "The Leftovers". Totally shocking and depressing. I'm sure the "whateverists" are loving it.


---------------------------------------------
--- volbrigade wrote:


Bravo!

I applaud you for the clear, concise representation of your views, Gothic.   They well encapsulate those of the 52% -- and growing -- majority.  And are the perfect seedbed for increased statist control on all levels.  Soon, it will be nearly impossible, for those who still hold them, to explain what the conservative view is.  You will have to lay the groundwork for that explanation, by trying to convey some dim sense of individual rights and responsibilities, the source of those rights and responsibilities, etc.

It will be like trying to convey the concepts of "sin", "repentance", and "forgiveness" now.

The common vernacular has shrunk, to exclude such concepts. 

Gentlemen -- I give you the future.

And you know what?  It won't be so bad.  Most people will like it just fine (with enough anti-depressant, and anti-anxiety medication).  The few who remain aware of any other possible future will just have to take whatever solace they can in their personal lives; the shared social, political, and entertainment culture will be an increasingly dreary, low-thermal, vulgar exercise in banality, as we see occurring now.  

But most won't know any different.  As was said about NYC, during the height of its liberal dysfunction before -- was it Koch? -- came in and cleaned the place up a bit:  the future will be an insane asylum, built by its denizens, and one which they take a perverse jingoistic pride in.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/22/2014 10:22 AM

Re: Blue Voter in a Red State: Why I am a Democrat. 


Fellow conservatives:  There are more of "THEM" than there are of us.  eek

To paraphrase Brigade -- "Welcome to your future."
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >