Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

For those in the soccer off side discussion,

Posted: 6/20/2014 3:31 PM

For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


the call against Switzerland at about 28 minutes shows what a BS call it is, at least a lot of the time.  It wasn't Switzerland's fault that all the French players moved away from the goal, and yet they lost their goal because of what France had done.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 3:35 PM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


That's a strategy by France.  All the defenders step forward when a forward gets behind them to put them offside.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/20/2014 3:41 PM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


Its an offsides trap. Every decent player that has ever played has been taught to do that. Its the Swiss players jobs to be aware of that and step up with them.
VOLuntaryCOLTSfan
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 4:32 PM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


OK.....you beat me so I'll just step back and make you illegal.

Probably the way the rule got started.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 4:42 PM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 



sunvol wrote: OK.....you beat me so I'll just step back and make you illegal.

Probably the way the rule got started.

No, the ball was in front of France's back line when it was first played while the Swiss forward was behind it.

Think about it like a foot race.  Would it be fair if one person got to go before the gun went off?

Last edited 6/20/2014 4:43 PM by KnoxKid

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 4:53 PM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


The offside rule actually rewards speed.  It opens the final thirds of the field for people to run on to passes and it ensures that the players don't get head starts.  So, if you are fast, you can beat offside traps and punish defenses that try to play a high line.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 9:14 PM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


But it isn't a one way race!   confused
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/20/2014 9:34 PM

KnoxKid and VoluntaryColtsFan explained it... 



Scoreboard wrote: the call against Switzerland at about 28 minutes shows what a BS call it is, at least a lot of the time.  It wasn't Switzerland's fault that all the French players moved away from the goal, and yet they lost their goal because of what France had done.

That is simply a very fundamental part of soccer.

If someone had very little understanding of football, and started complaining about press man coverage, or an audible at the line of scrimmage as being unfair, we would chuckle. Not meaning to offend, but that's what the complaint about the offsides call is. The only problem with the offsides call is when the refs get it wrong at a critical time, like a basketball ref making a bad call on a block/charge.

"Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities."   - Voltaire

Last edited 6/20/2014 9:39 PM by cherokee04

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 10:13 PM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


You are really showing your lack of understanding of the game. Of course, that's fairly typical.

Last edited 6/20/2014 10:14 PM by Olivaw

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 10:23 PM

Re: KnoxKid and VoluntaryColtsFan explained it... 


Exactly. Well stated.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 10:32 PM

Re: KnoxKid and VoluntaryColtsFan explained it... 


Bingo


---------------------------------------------
--- cherokee04 wrote:


Scoreboard wrote: the call against Switzerland at about 28 minutes shows what a BS call it is, at least a lot of the time.  It wasn't Switzerland's fault that all the French players moved away from the goal, and yet they lost their goal because of what France had done.

That is simply a very fundamental part of soccer.

If someone had very little understanding of football, and started complaining about press man coverage, or an audible at the line of scrimmage as being unfair, we would chuckle. Not meaning to offend, but that's what the complaint about the offsides call is. The only problem with the offsides call is when the refs get it wrong at a critical time, like a basketball ref making a bad call on a block/charge.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 11:21 PM

Re: KnoxKid and VoluntaryColtsFan explained it... 


Reminds me of a conversation with a Turkish friend who was watching football for the first time.

"Surely this is illegal!"

"No, this is fair."

"But Mr. Brady has the right to throw the ball!"
"NO!  Mr. Brady does not!"

Offside trap is a legitimate strategy in soccer.  USA has a lot of fun ways they've beaten it, especially on set plays.  One of my favorite was on a free kick.  4 of our guys lined up close to their last defenders, knowing that they were going to spring the trap, with one player sitting deeper.  When we kicked the ball, the defenders ran up to trap our 4 front guys, but the guy behind ran past them and onto the ball for a free header.

Reply | Quote
  • Volle
  • All-American
  • 1379 posts this site

Posted: 6/21/2014 2:03 AM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


+1 OP... offsides rule doesn't make sense...  It's like saying a WR cannot be behind a DB before the ball is thrown, or a basketball player cannot be behind the defense on a fast break.  The other thing this caveman sport needs to fix is the flopping-- make it a red card for flopping!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 8:04 AM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


Double facepalm of Picard and Riker
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 10:26 AM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


Why is it every 4 years America s become soccer "experts"? I love soccer and especially the World Cup. I really wish as a country we would embrace soccer more and learn the rules and why they exist before we just start spouting how stupid they are. The only crappy thing about soccer is the ridiculous flops. Some flopping is expected and is part of the game, but some of these others flop worse than LeBron.

There are only like 5 rules in soccer and the offsides rule is critical to the integrity of the game. Soccer is a great game of talent, creativity, athleticism, and most importantly TACTICS. The offsides trap is very real and a solid strategy much like a QB going with a hard count.
First there.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 11:12 AM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


Disliking a rule doesn't make one ignorant of the game.  There are many on this board and throughout out the USA that don't like a particular rule in football or baseball......but that doesn't make them ignorant of those games. 

The offside rule has been changed more than once throughout the history of soccer. The first official offside rule said there must be three defenders between the ball and the goal.

The forward pass was once illegal in football. My guess is that there were those that declared the integrity of the game had been violated when that happened.

Last edited 6/21/2014 11:36 AM by sunvol

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 11:46 AM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


The last change to the offside law changed the part that said "2 defenders between" the player and the goal to "no closer to the goal than the nest to the last defender".  All this did was clarify the rule and give rise to the "even is on" doctrine.  Meaning that the offensive player is on sides if he is even with the next to last defender if he is ahead of the ball when it is last touched by a member of his team.    The part of the law that most novice or casual fans miss is the part 'last touched by".  Going back to the WR analogy everyone wants to bring up: How often does a QB throw a pass to a receiver running a deep route BEFORE the WR passes the DB? Almost every time.  He throws the ball to the open area he expects the WR to go to but when the QB "last touched" the ball the WR was not behind the DB's.

Now here is part of the law that needs to be discussed.  Official may overlook a player being offside if the player realizes he is offside and goes "passive and does not participate in the run of play until he returns to an onside position and does not affect or influence the play in any way.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 11:48 AM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 



sunvol wrote: Disliking a rule doesn't make one ignorant of the game.  There are many on this board and throughout out the USA that don't like a particular rule in football or baseball......but that doesn't make them ignorant of those games. 

The offside rule has been changed more than once throughout the history of soccer. The first official offside rule said there must be three defenders between the ball and the goal.

The forward pass was once illegal in football. My guess is that there were those that declared the integrity of the game had been violated when that happened.

There is a huge difference between modifying a rule and doing away with it entirely.  The ones who believe that off-sides in soccer should be eliminated are ignorant of the game and deserve any ridicule they receive as it would completely alter the way the game is played.  It is in no way analogous to implementing the forward pass in football.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 12:08 PM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


One aspect I think that is overlooked in discussions concerning the offside rule is that it actually produces more offense. As I recall, the offside rule is in effect from the midfield stripe into the attacking zone. If there was no offside, offensive players could hang around in the attacking zone forcing defenders to stay back with them. The offside rule allows defenders to press into the attack which helps to increase scoring opportunities.

The offside trap is a thing of beauty when done correctly. I played goalie during my 9 1/2 years stationed in Europe while in the Navy. At NATO military HQ, SHAPE, Belgium, our American team didn't have the talent of most of the other countries. We had to play smart and working the offside trap became a trademark of the team.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 12:25 PM

Re: For those in the soccer off side discussion, 


This explains the rule fairly well.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DCyP92TVWSQ
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >