Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
  Page of 2  Next >

Smith to start against Denver!!!

Posted: 10/27/2010 3:05 AM

Smith to start against Denver!!! 


Troy that is..... tongue



"WE WANT CARR!!! WE WANT CARR!!!!" 



rolleyes


http://www.csnbayarea.com/10/2...amp;feedID=5936

Updated link... Which begs the question... why did we sign Carr in the first place??

Last edited 10/27/2010 6:08 AM by Q8ty49er

  • Hobbez
  • 2nd Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 3.1/5 this site
  • 2430 posts this site

Posted: 10/27/2010 4:46 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


yes yes very interesting indeed.  its actually worth it to watch this one now excited very curious to see how T.Smith does.
  • 4ever9er
  • 3rd Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 2.5/5 this site
  • 1020 posts this site

Posted: 10/27/2010 6:40 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


Wow, Singletary is smarter than I thought.  Maybe we should keep him as a head coach.

  • TarHeel49er
  • 5th Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 3.1/5 this site
  • 172 posts this site

Posted: 10/27/2010 7:21 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


I like the move, but I'm not expecting too much this week from him since he's not going to have much time to work with the first unit. Heck, he's only split time with Carr on the scout team up until now. A jet lagged Denver defense should help. Hopefully, we will see more a few games after the bye when he's had more time with the starters.

Posted: 10/27/2010 7:56 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


I have to admit, I am actually excited.  I'm an obvious Buckeye homer, but I always wished somehow Troy would get to be a 9er.  He is one of my all-time favorite Buckeyes as his body of work at OSU speaks for itself.

He definitely has his limitations; only 6 feet tall and lacks touch on his throws, but the guy is a gamer.  Not fast like Vick or Vince young, but athletic enough to scramble and make plays.  And you definitely don't have to worry about arm strength to get the ball down the field.

Would have been the starter in Baltimore at least for a bit if it wasn't for the nasty tonsil infection he got before the start of the '08 season.  I'm really happy for Troy, despite the circumstances surrounding this team.

Posted: 10/27/2010 8:04 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


I hope he's supremely successful and we go on a 9 game win streak or he's utterly unsuccessful and we screw things up badly, but nothing in between.
MontanaBuck3 wrote: I have to admit, I am actually excited.  I'm an obvious Buckeye homer, but I always wished somehow Troy would get to be a 9er.  He is one of my all-time favorite Buckeyes as his body of work at OSU speaks for itself.

He definitely has his limitations; only 6 feet tall and lacks touch on his throws, but the guy is a gamer.  Not fast like Vick or Vince young, but athletic enough to scramble and make plays.  And you definitely don't have to worry about arm strength to get the ball down the field.

Would have been the starter in Baltimore at least for a bit if it wasn't for the nasty tonsil infection he got before the start of the '08 season.  I'm really happy for Troy, despite the circumstances surrounding this team.

Posted: 10/27/2010 8:05 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


banghead

Posted: 10/27/2010 8:09 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


I'd MUCH rather see Troy Smith out there than Carr. Carr is so bad, has always been that bad, and never will be any better than he is right now.

Posted: 10/27/2010 8:16 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


LOL, agreed.
plannb23 wrote: I hope he's supremely successful and we go on a 9 game win streak or he's utterly unsuccessful and we screw things up badly, but nothing in between.
MontanaBuck3 wrote: I have to admit, I am actually excited.  I'm an obvious Buckeye homer, but I always wished somehow Troy would get to be a 9er.  He is one of my all-time favorite Buckeyes as his body of work at OSU speaks for itself.

He definitely has his limitations; only 6 feet tall and lacks touch on his throws, but the guy is a gamer.  Not fast like Vick or Vince young, but athletic enough to scramble and make plays.  And you definitely don't have to worry about arm strength to get the ball down the field.

Would have been the starter in Baltimore at least for a bit if it wasn't for the nasty tonsil infection he got before the start of the '08 season.  I'm really happy for Troy, despite the circumstances surrounding this team.

Posted: 10/27/2010 8:25 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


I love the move!  I'm sure they all have the same dilusional thoughts that we can still go on a 9 game winning streak and Troy gives us the best shot.  Once Alex Smith comes back in 2-3 weeks, we'll probably waive Carr and bring Nate Davis back on the 53man roster.10-6 or 1-15 is what I want as well!

Last edited 10/27/2010 8:50 AM by plannb23

Posted: 10/27/2010 9:22 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


+1 to this.
plannb23 wrote: I hope he's supremely successful and we go on a 9 game win streak or he's utterly unsuccessful and we screw things up badly, but nothing in between.
MontanaBuck3 wrote: I have to admit, I am actually excited.  I'm an obvious Buckeye homer, but I always wished somehow Troy would get to be a 9er.  He is one of my all-time favorite Buckeyes as his body of work at OSU speaks for itself.

He definitely has his limitations; only 6 feet tall and lacks touch on his throws, but the guy is a gamer.  Not fast like Vick or Vince young, but athletic enough to scramble and make plays.  And you definitely don't have to worry about arm strength to get the ball down the field.

Would have been the starter in Baltimore at least for a bit if it wasn't for the nasty tonsil infection he got before the start of the '08 season.  I'm really happy for Troy, despite the circumstances surrounding this team.

Posted: 10/27/2010 9:25 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


Great move. Now there is actually a reason to watch this game. Mike Johnson was around him in Baltimore. Denver has to change their gameplan now with a scrambling athletic QB. I must say with Troy starting, is it Sunday yet?

Last edited 10/27/2010 9:25 AM by EvenFlow91

Posted: 10/27/2010 9:56 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


This move gives me hope that I can trash talk while in London (Besides the SF Giants).
  • rynimh
  • 4th Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 3.0/5 this site
  • 514 posts this site

Posted: 10/27/2010 10:10 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


Might as well try T. Smith. Given the shakey and inconsistent nature of our OL to provide adequate pass protection, its probably a better option than Carr at this point. At least T Smith gives you some scrambling ability.

Posted: 10/27/2010 10:25 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


I don't understand why we came out with this news at this point. Keeping the decision in house would have been a much better play going into the game. Like Childress with Favre, and the Raiders with Campbell, good coaches would never tip their hat this soon. Singletary should have kept this in house as long as he could so Denver prepared for Carr and not Troy Smith.

Glad to see Troy is starting though.

Posted: 10/27/2010 10:29 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


As I and many people noted when he was signed, it was probably just a matter of time before Troy Smith competed for the backup role. I'm just surprised he didn't usurp the job from Carr sooner.  Although I think there's a greater chance that, long-term, he will not have any sustained success, I do think Troy Smith might be a temporary shot in the arm for this team, if only because there's little film on him and the mere element of surprise will keep some defenses honest.

Of course, if he does have some success, there will likely be a clamor amongst fans as to why he wasn't put in earlier than now. Some may even go so far as to claim "I told you so." tongue

There are two things that Troy has that will help him. He's got a very strong arm (not quite Nate Davis strong, but not far off), and he's mobile. Given the way Mike Johnson has been opening up the playbook little by little the past few weeks, it'll be interesting to see if he does it even further to try and take advantage of Troy's abilities. I think he'll have to cut back on some of the playbook if only because Smith has lacked the reps to get familiar with the entire scheme, but their familiarity with each other should help.

Unfortunately, I doubt Troy Smith will be a miracle just as much as I don't believe he will be a complete and utter failure. He'll probably fall somewhere in between, and that may mean the 49ers win just enough games to fall out of the #1 pick running and to muddy the waters for next year.

Whatever success Smith has, I hope it doesn't change two things:

1) The 49ers resolve to identify a true long-term solution at QB.
2) The 49ers resolve to hire a Head Coach capable of taking this team to the next level.

They gave Alex Smith and Mike Singletary a final shot, and, sadly, neither were able to pull through. I like Alex Smith's chances of finding future success elsewhere (even if it's as a solid backup) than Singletary's at this time, if only because I've been far more disappointed in how Singletary has dealt with the adversity.

Posted: 10/27/2010 10:43 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


Kudos to Sing for avoiding Carr. I wonder if I should pick up Ginn in my fantasy league? Now I just hope Smith has a firm enough grasp on the offense to allow Johnson to be creative with him in there. With Smith having arm strength and the ability to scramble, it could be a good fit having him in at QB.
  • irvin19
  • 3rd Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 3.2/5 this site
  • 1365 posts this site

Posted: 10/27/2010 11:09 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 



rogerforthehall wrote: +1 to this.
plannb23 wrote: I hope he's supremely successful and we go on a 9 game win streak or he's utterly unsuccessful and we screw things up badly, but nothing in between.
MontanaBuck3 wrote: I have to admit, I am actually excited.  I'm an obvious Buckeye homer, but I always wished somehow Troy would get to be a 9er.  He is one of my all-time favorite Buckeyes as his body of work at OSU speaks for itself.

He definitely has his limitations; only 6 feet tall and lacks touch on his throws, but the guy is a gamer.  Not fast like Vick or Vince young, but athletic enough to scramble and make plays.  And you definitely don't have to worry about arm strength to get the ball down the field.

Would have been the starter in Baltimore at least for a bit if it wasn't for the nasty tonsil infection he got before the start of the '08 season.  I'm really happy for Troy, despite the circumstances surrounding this team.
+2   All or nothing.  I DO NOT want to finsh 7-9, instil hope for the future with Sing and Troy and blow a top pick that may lead to a new QB.

Posted: 10/27/2010 11:33 AM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


This is the first time he's practiced with anyone other than the scout team. I agree with Plann, all or nothing at this point...please do not win enough games to select between 3-6.

Posted: 10/27/2010 12:04 PM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


Signing Carr was stupid to begin with, now the signing of Troy seems like a good one maybe. Problem is like Nation/Plann said we don't want some wins to screw up the draft pick. I am excited to see a new QB though, and when Alex is healthy, dump Carr and his 3 mill a year contract. I don't care if Troy Smith got hurt or not, I'd rather see N.Davis get thrown into the fire, no more Carr please!
  • irvin19
  • 3rd Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 3.2/5 this site
  • 1365 posts this site

Posted: 10/27/2010 12:49 PM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


Just wondering.....

Who is the last black qb to start for the 9ers?  I seem to remember a guy in the '87strike year that played a few games.

noidea

Posted: 10/27/2010 12:50 PM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! Post Rating (1 vote)


Get em Troy...Nows your turn. God knows you've waited long enough.

Go Bucks!

Posted: 10/27/2010 1:13 PM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


here's hoping we go 1-15 and get Luck in the draft along with Gruden on the sidelines
plannb23 wrote: I hope he's supremely successful and we go on a 9 game win streak or he's utterly unsuccessful and we screw things up badly, but nothing in between.
MontanaBuck3 wrote: I have to admit, I am actually excited.  I'm an obvious Buckeye homer, but I always wished somehow Troy would get to be a 9er.  He is one of my all-time favorite Buckeyes as his body of work at OSU speaks for itself.

He definitely has his limitations; only 6 feet tall and lacks touch on his throws, but the guy is a gamer.  Not fast like Vick or Vince young, but athletic enough to scramble and make plays.  And you definitely don't have to worry about arm strength to get the ball down the field.

Would have been the starter in Baltimore at least for a bit if it wasn't for the nasty tonsil infection he got before the start of the '08 season.  I'm really happy for Troy, despite the circumstances surrounding this team.
  • TarHeel49er
  • 5th Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 3.1/5 this site
  • 172 posts this site

Posted: 10/27/2010 1:24 PM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


Um...yeah...what he said. biggrin The two key points you mention, Pudding, are exactly the things I (and so many others) worry about. It pains me to say it, but I don't really want a streak of 49er wins as it will likely signal to the Yorks to give Sing, and possibly Alex, another shot. I used to criticize fans that wanted their teams to lose in order to get a coaching change and/or better draft position, but now I am understanding their stance much better.
pudding wrote: As I and many people noted when he was signed, it was probably just a matter of time before Troy Smith competed for the backup role. I'm just surprised he didn't usurp the job from Carr sooner.  Although I think there's a greater chance that, long-term, he will not have any sustained success, I do think Troy Smith might be a temporary shot in the arm for this team, if only because there's little film on him and the mere element of surprise will keep some defenses honest.

Of course, if he does have some success, there will likely be a clamor amongst fans as to why he wasn't put in earlier than now. Some may even go so far as to claim "I told you so." tongue

There are two things that Troy has that will help him. He's got a very strong arm (not quite Nate Davis strong, but not far off), and he's mobile. Given the way Mike Johnson has been opening up the playbook little by little the past few weeks, it'll be interesting to see if he does it even further to try and take advantage of Troy's abilities. I think he'll have to cut back on some of the playbook if only because Smith has lacked the reps to get familiar with the entire scheme, but their familiarity with each other should help.

Unfortunately, I doubt Troy Smith will be a miracle just as much as I don't believe he will be a complete and utter failure. He'll probably fall somewhere in between, and that may mean the 49ers win just enough games to fall out of the #1 pick running and to muddy the waters for next year.

Whatever success Smith has, I hope it doesn't change two things:

1) The 49ers resolve to identify a true long-term solution at QB.
2) The 49ers resolve to hire a Head Coach capable of taking this team to the next level.

They gave Alex Smith and Mike Singletary a final shot, and, sadly, neither were able to pull through. I like Alex Smith's chances of finding future success elsewhere (even if it's as a solid backup) than Singletary's at this time, if only because I've been far more disappointed in how Singletary has dealt with the adversity.

Posted: 10/27/2010 1:48 PM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


There is nothing that is going to happen in my opinion that will keep Alex as a 49er.  Continuing along that line I don't see anything short of a Superbowl run saving Singletary.
TarHeel49er wrote: Um...yeah...what he said. biggrin The two key points you mention, Pudding, are exactly the things I (and so many others) worry about. It pains me to say it, but I don't really want a streak of 49er wins as it will likely signal to the Yorks to give Sing, and possibly Alex, another shot. I used to criticize fans that wanted their teams to lose in order to get a coaching change and/or better draft position, but now I am understanding their stance much better.
pudding wrote: As I and many people noted when he was signed, it was probably just a matter of time before Troy Smith competed for the backup role. I'm just surprised he didn't usurp the job from Carr sooner.  Although I think there's a greater chance that, long-term, he will not have any sustained success, I do think Troy Smith might be a temporary shot in the arm for this team, if only because there's little film on him and the mere element of surprise will keep some defenses honest.

Of course, if he does have some success, there will likely be a clamor amongst fans as to why he wasn't put in earlier than now. Some may even go so far as to claim "I told you so." tongue

There are two things that Troy has that will help him. He's got a very strong arm (not quite Nate Davis strong, but not far off), and he's mobile. Given the way Mike Johnson has been opening up the playbook little by little the past few weeks, it'll be interesting to see if he does it even further to try and take advantage of Troy's abilities. I think he'll have to cut back on some of the playbook if only because Smith has lacked the reps to get familiar with the entire scheme, but their familiarity with each other should help.

Unfortunately, I doubt Troy Smith will be a miracle just as much as I don't believe he will be a complete and utter failure. He'll probably fall somewhere in between, and that may mean the 49ers win just enough games to fall out of the #1 pick running and to muddy the waters for next year.

Whatever success Smith has, I hope it doesn't change two things:

1) The 49ers resolve to identify a true long-term solution at QB.
2) The 49ers resolve to hire a Head Coach capable of taking this team to the next level.

They gave Alex Smith and Mike Singletary a final shot, and, sadly, neither were able to pull through. I like Alex Smith's chances of finding future success elsewhere (even if it's as a solid backup) than Singletary's at this time, if only because I've been far more disappointed in how Singletary has dealt with the adversity.

Posted: 10/27/2010 1:56 PM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


I don't think it will matter how the team finishes, I don't see Sung coming back next year.  Notice I'm already referring to him in past tense? excited

Maybe if we win the Super Bowl this year but anything short of that and he is gone.

I'm glad to see T. Smith getting a shot.  When I heard it on the radio I didn't believe Sung had the ability to make a drastic change like that without looking at more film for a few weeks.  Maybe this is the first step into seeing what we have at QB in preparation for next year.

As someone indicated earlier, when Alex comes back it may signal the end for Carr in SF and Nate would be brought up to the active 53.  

I guess with his back against the wall Sung has nothing to lose by coming out swinging.

Posted: 10/27/2010 3:35 PM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


Good luck Troy...Can't wait to see the Troy to Ginn combo again surprised

Posted: 10/27/2010 3:40 PM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


A few points about Troy Smith for those of you who don't already know. Troy Smith is a true leader in the locker room and on the field. Some guys are born to be leaders and Troy Seems to be one of those players. In B-more some of the long time vets like Ray Lewis and Ed Reed were in Smith's corner since becoming an NFL QB and lobbied for him to stay with the Ravens. Although Smith may not yet be very familiar with the 49er offense, he's played with Ginn Jr in high school, college and now again in the NFL. Smith was in fact living with the Ginn family for a short time while at Glenville High school in Cleveland. I wouldn't be at all surprised to see them rekindle some of that magic they had while at tOSU which helped Troy win the Heisman. Buckeye nation is just as excited to see Troy Smith get another shot this weekend as most of you seem to be. Here's some video for those of you who are interested in watching some collegiate highlights of TS in action and good luck the rest of the season. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kN3Gem1T3qI

Last edited 10/27/2010 3:41 PM by SouthOfTheOlentangy

  • Hobbez
  • 2nd Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 3.1/5 this site
  • 2430 posts this site

Posted: 10/27/2010 4:44 PM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


yeep +2!
rogerforthehall wrote: +1 to this.
plannb23 wrote: I hope he's supremely successful and we go on a 9 game win streak or he's utterly unsuccessful and we screw things up badly, but nothing in between.
MontanaBuck3 wrote: I have to admit, I am actually excited.  I'm an obvious Buckeye homer, but I always wished somehow Troy would get to be a 9er.  He is one of my all-time favorite Buckeyes as his body of work at OSU speaks for itself.

He definitely has his limitations; only 6 feet tall and lacks touch on his throws, but the guy is a gamer.  Not fast like Vick or Vince young, but athletic enough to scramble and make plays.  And you definitely don't have to worry about arm strength to get the ball down the field.

Would have been the starter in Baltimore at least for a bit if it wasn't for the nasty tonsil infection he got before the start of the '08 season.  I'm really happy for Troy, despite the circumstances surrounding this team.

Posted: 10/27/2010 5:27 PM

Re: Smith to start against Denver!!! 


Not sure how long Troy Smith's contract is but he will be playing for his future as well.  He is not guaranteed a spot next season.  A new regime could let all the QBs go.  He has a lot of incentive to do well.

David Carr's career is winding down.  Not sure what Carr's role will be in the NFL next season?  Wondering what type of plays Mike Johnson will let Troy Smith run?  Wondering if he is going to go "Vanilla" or give Troy Smith some plays he can let loose.  Hopefully he can hit Vernon Davis on a seam route should they run that play for Troy and Vernon Davis.

Hopefully we won't see to many dive plays or up the middle in the run game!

I just hope there is no empty back field stuff.  The OL can't handle that type of responsibilty.  A RB has to stay at home in the passing game.
  Page of 2  Next >