Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff

Avatar

Posted: 05/15/2013 10:16 AM

Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


Per Jason La Confora via Mike Florio at ProFootballTalk:


Mangini is in talks with the 49ers about joining the team as a consultant, according to Jason La Canfora of CBS.

The man who vaulted into the ranks of head coaches after running Bill Belichick’s defense in New England has spent the last two years working for ESPN. Mangini’s name has been mentioned from time to time as a potential defensive coordinator.

In San Francisco, Mangini could be advance insurance against the potential departure of defensive coordinator Vic Fangio, who surely is moving closer to the head-coaching “A” list after spending the last two seasons orchestrating one of the best defenses in the league on a staff led by Jim Harbaugh, a former NFL quarterback and offensive specialist.


Link
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/15/2013 10:41 AM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


Matt Barrows take on it:


Back to Mangini. He's only 42 and ostensibly is looking at a consulting job as a way of returning to the NFL. Is he looking at a future opening on the 49ers' staff?

If so, it's hard to see the defensive coordinator spot becoming available. As good a coach as Vic Fangio is and as well as his unit has played the last two seasons, he's received very little - if any - interest as far as head-coaching openings.

The more immediate opening would seem to be in the secondary. Defensive backs coach Ed Donatell has been considered for several defensive coordinator openings the last two years, including with the Buccaneers last year and the Saints earlier this year, but requests to interview Donatell were blocked by the 49ers because he is still under contract. Donatell has a background as a coordinator (in Green Bay and Atlanta), is well-respected around the league and is likely to receive more interest in the upcoming offseason. Mangini, meanwhile, was New England's defensive backs coach from 2000-2004 before becoming defensive coordinator the following year.

As far as relationships with the 49ers, Mangini was an assistant coach with the Jets from 1997-99, roughly the same time San Francisco general manager Trent Baalke was a scout for the Jets. Mangini also worked with 49ers assistant head coach/special teams coach Brad Seely in Cleveland in 2009-10.


Link
Reply | Quote

Posted: 05/15/2013 12:47 PM

RE: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


yeah i was going to say- i don't see fangio leaving. he seems fairly content (just a feeling not really based on inside knowledge!) and at his age the opportunities seem to be less. teams tend to go for younger 'hot' candidates. this is not to say an older guy can't be a great hire as a head coach but i'm just saying.....

back to mangini, i'm surprised it's taken this long for him to get into another organization. he was once viewed as a 'genius' in the making and while he had some issues i think he's still a well respected and very bright football mind. could be an asset whatever his longterm role may or may not be.

"You are either getting better or you are getting worse; you never stay the same."

Reply | Quote

Posted: 05/15/2013 12:59 PM

RE: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


interesting note regarding this development:

"Mangini remains in talks with the 49ers about a possible role in helping the 49ers' offense by getting a defensive perspective in game planning, CBS Sports reported."

"You are either getting better or you are getting worse; you never stay the same."

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/15/2013 1:24 PM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


Yeah, I'm not sure if I'd be too excited about Mangini as a head coach (though I think his "failure" in his Jets tenure is overstated) but I think he'd be a nice hire as part of the staff. He built a well-deserved reputation running some pretty strong defenses under Bill Belichick and as a "specialist" figuring out how to attack other teams' defenses, his brain couldn't hurt. Coaches don't take up salary cap space, so it might be an interesting tactic to hire willing, intelligent coaches to take on such specialized roles.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 05/15/2013 1:56 PM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


Speaking of consultants, I am very interested to see how Chris Ault will influence that offense in KC...
I know Alex ran a spread-option under Urban Meyer, and ran it pretty darn well, so it isn't completely foreign to him.  And I also know that Kaep actually got hit very seldom last while running, but do I worry about Alex running the ball because of injury.  Between his past shoulder injuries and his concussion on a scramble last year, it is a concern if he's asked to do it several times a game, IMO.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/15/2013 3:01 PM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 



Minstrel wrote: Matt Barrows take on it:


Back to Mangini. He's only 42 and ostensibly is looking at a consulting job as a way of returning to the NFL. Is he looking at a future opening on the 49ers' staff?

If so, it's hard to see the defensive coordinator spot becoming available. As good a coach as Vic Fangio is and as well as his unit has played the last two seasons, he's received very little - if any - interest as far as head-coaching openings.

The more immediate opening would seem to be in the secondary. Defensive backs coach Ed Donatell has been considered for several defensive coordinator openings the last two years, including with the Buccaneers last year and the Saints earlier this year, but requests to interview Donatell were blocked by the 49ers because he is still under contract. Donatell has a background as a coordinator (in Green Bay and Atlanta), is well-respected around the league and is likely to receive more interest in the upcoming offseason. Mangini, meanwhile, was New England's defensive backs coach from 2000-2004 before becoming defensive coordinator the following year.

As far as relationships with the 49ers, Mangini was an assistant coach with the Jets from 1997-99, roughly the same time San Francisco general manager Trent Baalke was a scout for the Jets. Mangini also worked with 49ers assistant head coach/special teams coach Brad Seely in Cleveland in 2009-10.


Link
It is somewhat surprising that the 49ers would block an interview request by the Saints for Ed Donatell.  Under contract or not, I thought the "gentlemen's agreement" was that you don't stand in the way of your coaches getting promoted.  That not only helps your coaches, it also helps you recruit the best and the brightest assistants when the time comes to replace the ones you've got.  However, blocking anyone from interviewing with the bucs, as long as their run by the glazers, makes perfect sense.  There's still a lot of bad blood in the league from the bucs blocking over teams from ever interviewing their guys.  NFL teams have long memories, that's why the Bucs have had to hire their last two HC from the college ranks, and from their own staff (respectively).  I don't ever want the 49ers to get the reputation around the league that the bucs have, and if that means letting assistants interview for higher gigs elsewhere, than that's what it means.  Again, I heard about the block on the bucs, as that was pretty widely reported, that they blocked him from interviewing with the saints and others is news to me.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/15/2013 3:01 PM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 



NashvilleNiner wrote: Speaking of consultants, I am very interested to see how Chris Ault will influence that offense in KC...
I know Alex ran a spread-option under Urban Meyer, and ran it pretty darn well, so it isn't completely foreign to him.  And I also know that Kaep actually got hit very seldom last while running, but do I worry about Alex running the ball because of injury.  Between his past shoulder injuries and his concussion on a scramble last year, it is a concern if he's asked to do it several times a game, IMO.

I don't foresee Kansas City running any read-option, but I could see them incorporate some Pistol formation into their offense. Just like Tolzien doesn't need to be a great runner to operate out of the Pistol, Alex Smith doesn't need to be a great or frequent runner (even though he does possess the athleticism to scramble). It still gives the Chiefs the ability to operate with both spread principles (which Smith has worked with before) and power runs. Kaepernick just adds an extra element with option plays, but it isn't essential.

Last edited 05/15/2013 3:02 PM by Minstrel

Reply | Quote

Posted: 05/15/2013 3:27 PM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 



Minstrel wrote:
NashvilleNiner wrote: Speaking of consultants, I am very interested to see how Chris Ault will influence that offense in KC...
I know Alex ran a spread-option under Urban Meyer, and ran it pretty darn well, so it isn't completely foreign to him.  And I also know that Kaep actually got hit very seldom last while running, but do I worry about Alex running the ball because of injury.  Between his past shoulder injuries and his concussion on a scramble last year, it is a concern if he's asked to do it several times a game, IMO.

I don't foresee Kansas City running any read-option, but I could see them incorporate some Pistol formation into their offense. Just like Tolzien doesn't need to be a great runner to operate out of the Pistol, Alex Smith doesn't need to be a great or frequent runner (even though he does possess the athleticism to scramble). It still gives the Chiefs the ability to operate with both spread principles (which Smith has worked with before) and power runs. Kaepernick just adds an extra element with option plays, but it isn't essential.

Right, that's true its more about the formation of the pistol, than the read-option run out of it.  I'm still curious how (and how often) they'd run it, and how often they'd use Alex on a read-option type running play.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 05/18/2013 3:25 AM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


Great thing about Alex Smith is that he is kind of familiar with every offense out there including the "Raygun" offense!biggrin  

I think Gene Ault is there just to teach concepts of the Pistol formation and nothing more.  If Ault was the OC, then I would think more deeply into it.

I know these guys are smart and can pick up several offenses but KC needs to build an identity.  Alex Smith comes to KC with an identity of keeping the ball safe by making smart decisions.  I don't see Andy Reid running the spread option to often but can see them using the formation to create play action from different directions.

Not to get to technical but does the "Read option" interfere with the timing of the WRs?
NashvilleNiner wrote:
Minstrel wrote:
NashvilleNiner wrote: Speaking of consultants, I am very interested to see how Chris Ault will influence that offense in KC...
I know Alex ran a spread-option under Urban Meyer, and ran it pretty darn well, so it isn't completely foreign to him.  And I also know that Kaep actually got hit very seldom last while running, but do I worry about Alex running the ball because of injury.  Between his past shoulder injuries and his concussion on a scramble last year, it is a concern if he's asked to do it several times a game, IMO.

I don't foresee Kansas City running any read-option, but I could see them incorporate some Pistol formation into their offense. Just like Tolzien doesn't need to be a great runner to operate out of the Pistol, Alex Smith doesn't need to be a great or frequent runner (even though he does possess the athleticism to scramble). It still gives the Chiefs the ability to operate with both spread principles (which Smith has worked with before) and power runs. Kaepernick just adds an extra element with option plays, but it isn't essential.

Right, that's true its more about the formation of the pistol, than the read-option run out of it.  I'm still curious how (and how often) they'd run it, and how often they'd use Alex on a read-option type running play.
No play is to big for Colin Kaepernick!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 05/18/2013 9:41 AM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 



Jackmaul wrote: Not to get to technical but does the "Read option" interfere with the timing of the WRs?

As far as I'm aware, the traditional read-option is a running play and doesn't include passing as an option. The Pistol allows for traditional drop-back (with or without play-action), a conventional running play or a read-option, all out of the same initial look. In the case where it is actually a pass, the play should unfold as any normal passing play does. The only timing issues, I'd imagine, is that the quarterback is not under center but fewer steps back than standard shotgun. But that can be built into the timing of the receiver routes.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/01/2013 11:07 AM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


NFL Network just said he was hired
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/01/2013 11:40 AM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


backing up for when the calls come for Roman

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/01/2013 2:56 PM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


It's definitely an interesting idea, bringing in a defensive guy as an offensive consultant to help figure out ways to find holes in opposing defenses. I suppose it could be compared to Andy Reid hiring Juan Castillo, an offensive line coach, as a defensive coordinator on the logic that he knew offenses and thus how to attack them. The big difference, of course, was that Reid entrusted the top defensive job to such an experiment...I'm much more sanguine about such out-of-the-box thinking applying only to a lower-level assistant/consultant.

Last edited 06/01/2013 2:56 PM by Minstrel

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/01/2013 3:29 PM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


So, what is he going to do exactly? He's not a coach, right?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/01/2013 3:46 PM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 



ComicBookGeek wrote: So, what is he going to do exactly? He's not a coach, right?

"Consultant" I believe. I assume he'll spend some time looking over film of upcoming opponents, consider good strategies for attacking their defenses and provide his advice to Roman and Harbaugh for them to take under consideration when formulating their gameplans.

Just my guess, though.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/01/2013 4:36 PM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


i believe i read on nfl.com Roman was originally Defensive guy under Capers in Carolina...

If nothing else works, a total pig-headed unwillingness to look facts in the face will see us through.

 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/01/2013 6:22 PM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 



Minstrel wrote:
ComicBookGeek wrote: So, what is he going to do exactly? He's not a coach, right?

"Consultant" I believe. I assume he'll spend some time looking over film of upcoming opponents, consider good strategies for attacking their defenses and provide his advice to Roman and Harbaugh for them to take under consideration when formulating their gameplans.

Just my guess, though.
So, basically, he's going to do what all of us do, except he'll get paid to do it
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/01/2013 6:46 PM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 



ComicBookGeek wrote:
So, basically, he's going to do what all of us do, except he'll get paid to do it

Nice work if you can get it.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 06/02/2013 8:54 PM

Re: Eric Mangini In Talks To Join 49ers Staff 


They should hire Tim Tebow as a consultant.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >