Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Suggs gives props to CK

Avatar

Posted: 02/10/2013 1:21 PM

Suggs gives props to CK 


He said to CK not to get down, because he is going to play in a few more Super Bowls. Much respect from Suggs who hates to give props to anyone especially QB's.

Newly minted Super Bowl champion Terrell Suggs joined the Jim Rome Show on Friday to recap the game, discuss his new film, and his newfound respect for 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick. Suggs, who is legendary for his hatred of quarterbacks, came away very impressed by the second-year player.

“That kid’s the truth,” said Suggs.

http://jimrome.com/2013/02/08/suggs-says-kaepernic k-is-the-truth/#.URWK721xt20.twitter


Last edited 02/10/2013 1:22 PM by drama

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/10/2013 5:00 PM

Re: Suggs gives props to CK 


I just read that also, cool that Suggs gave him props.  I'm glad to see others understanding CK is the real deal and he just isn't the run of the mill running QB.  He, RG3 and Newton are all a new breed of QB's that will change the game for years to come.  They're all are throwing QB's with the dangerous ability to run when needed.

LoneStar Niner
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/10/2013 5:30 PM

RE: Suggs gives props to CK 


next year the discussion will be whether CK is an elite QB. and he will prove to be just that IMO.

"You are either getting better or you are getting worse; you never stay the same."

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/10/2013 5:56 PM

Re: Suggs gives props to CK 


Yeah, as I've alluded to elsewhere, I'm very intrigued to see what Kaepernick can do with another off-season of work, a training camp and pre-season with Kaepernick taking all the starter reps/snaps and a playbook built around Kaepernick (rather than around Alex Smith and adapted to Kaepernick mid-season).

I think Kaepernick is likely to cement himself as a star. Cam Newton had an exciting rookie season and then, at least perceptually, backslid in year two and I'm sure some will expect that to happen with Kaepernick. But I'm convinced that Kaepernick's success came differently and more sustainably. The 49ers were asking Kaepernick to make more complex reads and tougher throws and Kaepernick, while he made some mistakes, largely answered the bell. I think that says a lot about his skill and mental development as a quarterback.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/10/2013 8:07 PM

Re: Suggs gives props to CK 



Minstrel wrote: Yeah, as I've alluded to elsewhere, I'm very intrigued to see what Kaepernick can do with another off-season of work, a training camp and pre-season with Kaepernick taking all the starter reps/snaps and a playbook built around Kaepernick (rather than around Alex Smith and adapted to Kaepernick mid-season).

I think Kaepernick is likely to cement himself as a star. Cam Newton had an exciting rookie season and then, at least perceptually, backslid in year two and I'm sure some will expect that to happen with Kaepernick. But I'm convinced that Kaepernick's success came differently and more sustainably. The 49ers were asking Kaepernick to make more complex reads and tougher throws and Kaepernick, while he made some mistakes, largely answered the bell. I think that says a lot about his skill and mental development as a quarterback.
Kaepernick actually reminds me of Brett Favre in a sense that he has no fear and doesn't give a damn while on the field. How many interceptions did Favre throw? Didn't matter because he'd come right back out and throw a few touchdowns in response. Never got timid just said "Just get out of my way boys, I've got this"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/10/2013 8:17 PM

Re: Suggs gives props to CK 



ComicBookGeek wrote:
Kaepernick actually reminds me of Brett Favre in a sense that he has no fear and doesn't give a damn while on the field. How many interceptions did Favre throw? Didn't matter because he'd come right back out and throw a few touchdowns in response. Never got timid just said "Just get out of my way boys, I've got this"

I agree that Kaepernick has some of that "gun-slinger" mentality, but I'd disagree that all the interceptions he threw didn't matter. I think they significantly devalued his greatness (and yes, he was great despite all those interceptions). I think Kaepernick has a major head start on Favre because he seems to have better judgment about when to take a chance and let it fly while avoiding the craziest plays that have such a low chance of success that it simply isn't worth it.

I mean, ultimately, I'd happily take Favre's career for Kaepernick. Favre is very legitimate Hall of Fame quarterback. But I'm just greedy enough to want Favre's play-making without the avalanche of turnovers and just optimistic enough to believe it's within the realm of possibility based on his early career arc (though I'm not ready to say it's likely tongue).

My go-to comparison for Kaepernick has actually been another, more recent Packers quarterback: Aaron Rodgers. And Rodgers, to me, is exactly what I described above...capable and willing to try to make tough throws, willing to trade some risk for big plays...but also able to avoid the silly throws. I think Rodgers, over the past two seasons, is playing at a significantly higher level than Favre even at Favre's peak, purely because he can avoid throwing interceptions while still challenging defenses at every level of the field.

I see similarities to Rodgers in Kaepernick in the athleticism and willingness to run if the defense gives it, but ability to keep his eyes downfield as he scrambles and the deep accuracy. And, to return to my main theme, the smart decision-making.

Last edited 02/10/2013 8:22 PM by Minstrel

Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/13/2013 7:03 AM

Re: Suggs gives props to CK 



Minstrel wrote:

I agree that Kaepernick has some of that "gun-slinger" mentality, but I'd disagree that all the interceptions he threw didn't matter. I think they significantly devalued his greatness (and yes, he was great despite all those interceptions). I think Kaepernick has a major head start on Favre because he seems to have better judgment about when to take a chance and let it fly while avoiding the craziest plays that have such a low chance of success that it simply isn't worth it.

I mean, ultimately, I'd happily take Favre's career for Kaepernick. Favre is very legitimate Hall of Fame quarterback. But I'm just greedy enough to want Favre's play-making without the avalanche of turnovers and just optimistic enough to believe it's within the realm of possibility based on his early career arc (though I'm not ready to say it's likely tongue).

My go-to comparison for Kaepernick has actually been another, more recent Packers quarterback: Aaron Rodgers. And Rodgers, to me, is exactly what I described above...capable and willing to try to make tough throws, willing to trade some risk for big plays...but also able to avoid the silly throws. I think Rodgers, over the past two seasons, is playing at a significantly higher level than Favre even at Favre's peak, purely because he can avoid throwing interceptions while still challenging defenses at every level of the field.

I see similarities to Rodgers in Kaepernick in the athleticism and willingness to run if the defense gives it, but ability to keep his eyes downfield as he scrambles and the deep accuracy. And, to return to my main theme, the smart decision-making.
really like your comparison to rodgers because when my sons and i talk ck rodgers is the guy we compare him with. favre threw many int's that were very poor decisions by foolishly trying to force balls or simply just throwing the ball and hoping for a play. i don't believe in "sophomore slumps" i call them second year corrections since i give credit to the defensive coordinators for adjusting and the qb staying the same or marginal improvement. ck seems to be the kid that will work,study, and prepare to make big improvements and keep his edge. for reasons that i can't explain i will also compare ck with big ben,it must be the (hard to bring down,leadership,winning)
Reply | Quote