Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Post New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Put Alex Smith Back In

Posted: 12/26/2012 9:03 PM

Put Alex Smith Back In Post Rating (4 votes)


Why isn"t anyone asking about Alex Smith since kap doesn"t have the hot hand anymore??????

Posted: 12/26/2012 10:27 PM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In Post Rating (3 votes)


Because now is the time to experiment for the future duuhhhh
Even sliced bread knows Myles Jack is the greatest thing since, ever.

Posted: 12/27/2012 4:49 AM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In Post Rating (4 votes)


CK never had the hotter hand (Alex went down with a concussion after completing 25 of 27 and throwing 4 TDs to 0 INTs in his last 5 and a half quarters of play) and after 7 games playing major minutes, doesn't even have a better record.

Alex: 6-2
CK: 4-2-1

At least we should still win the division, but the QB musical chair move in the middle of the season, probably cost us the 2nd seed and a chance to get healthy.

I'm not giving up on CK yet, but if he loses to the Cards, at home, that will be final straw and we better see Alex starting in the playoffs.
Avatar

Posted: 12/27/2012 9:26 PM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In 


I know this dead horse is still being beaten.  The question to which no one knows the answer is why Harbaugh made that call when he did.  I see Kaep's upside but the timing was not right in my purely unprofessional and amateur opinion.  Any one else think it was a bit of Harbaugh stubbornness and a little arrogance to go with Kaep?  Kaep was handpicked by Harbaugh and maybe he wanted to rush him to the party too soon.   Admittedly I had never been an Alex supporter but he won me over last year and think he deserved a better fate. 
For some reason this weekend has me nervous, maybe unfounded, but there is nothing Az would like more than to sink the Niners division hopes. 
We'll see.  Kaep definitely has the ceiling but Smith has the experience and the decision making.
Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 3:26 AM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In Post Rating (2 votes)


You're purely unprofessional opinion is just that, we as fans never get to see what the coaches see on film and during practice.  I fully support Harbaugh's decision to pull the plug on Alex when he did.  Maybe what they saw (Alex's limitation ) was enough for them to ahead with the CK experience, maybe they thought he could do no worse than what Alex as shown them and the upside to what Kaep could offer warranted a shot to throw him in there when they did.  Either way, as I stated the coaches know best so let's all stop talking about it and continue to support the move and let's go out this week, win the Division and get ready for the playoffs.

uncleloggins wrote: I know this dead horse is still being beaten.  The question to which no one knows the answer is why Harbaugh made that call when he did.  I see Kaep's upside but the timing was not right in my purely unprofessional and amateur opinion.  Any one else think it was a bit of Harbaugh stubbornness and a little arrogance to go with Kaep?  Kaep was handpicked by Harbaugh and maybe he wanted to rush him to the party too soon.   Admittedly I had never been an Alex supporter but he won me over last year and think he deserved a better fate. 
For some reason this weekend has me nervous, maybe unfounded, but there is nothing Az would like more than to sink the Niners division hopes. 
We'll see.  Kaep definitely has the ceiling but Smith has the experience and the decision making.

LoneStar Niner

Posted: 12/28/2012 7:09 AM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In Post Rating (3 votes)


Do you think Alex would have won in NE?  I certainly don't.
Do you think Alex would have won in Seattle?  I don't think so.

If I told you we would have the chance for 11 wins at the beginning of the season, with our schedule the way it is, I'm sure you all would be fine with it.  Kaep hasn't played bad at all, and we should have won every game he's started; except in Seattle, in which nothing worked right...no running game, an injured defense, Akers blocked kick for a TD.  The whole team came up short for that one.

Last edited 12/28/2012 7:09 AM by NashvilleNiner

Avatar

Posted: 12/28/2012 3:18 PM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In 



NashvilleNiner wrote: Do you think Alex would have won in NE?  I certainly don't.
Do you think Alex would have won in Seattle?  I don't think so.

I don't think Alex would have won in Seattle, but that was a complete team loss. I think Alex could have won in New England, depending on how the defense played in the final quarter. That victory was as much about the 49ers opportunistic defense as anything. He might not have had the flare of Kaepernick, but Kaepernick didn't do a lot that was out of Smith's wheelhouse, overall. New England's defense wasn't exactly all that great, and a high-efficiency attack could very well have put up points. That's what the 49ers did when they went into Green Bay at the start of the year, remember.


NashvilleNiner wrote:
If I told you we would have the chance for 11 wins at the beginning of the season, with our schedule the way it is, I'm sure you all would be fine with it.  Kaep hasn't played bad at all, and we should have won every game he's started.

The "if you would have the chance for 11 wins" argument is a little hollow. I get your point, but it fails to address the actual status of events. It's hypothetical, but we have real results to examine now.

You're right that Kaepernick has not played badly at all. What we don't know is if Alex could have led the team to 12 wins or not. He was on pace to do so at the start of the year, and was playing some of his best football when he got concussed. As I have said, the choice was made to go with Kaepernick, and, while I expressed reasons why I felt it could backfire, I supported whatever the coaches determined was the best way to go, because I felt they had earned that benefit of the doubt. I won't change that opinion now, even after a bad loss to Seattle (which, quite frankly, I thought was a very real possibility).

The reality now is that the 49ers have lost their hold on the #2 seed, and they will need help to regain it. Is this Kaerpnick's fault? No. As I said, it's possible Alex could have led the team to 12 victories, that's hypothetical, too. There's no fault really to assign here. This is simply the reality. The coaches felt this was the way to go, and they opened themselves up to a lot of second-guessing if things didn't go well (but that might have happened even if they went back to Alex).

I personally hope that CK simply continues to improve and that the 49ers figure out a way to play all phases well (and get out of this two wins, one non-win/loss pattern. If it stays as it has, the 49ers will win in Arizona, win their wild-card weekend matchup, then lose in the NFC Division round of the playoffs.

Posted: 12/28/2012 9:59 PM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In Post Rating (8 votes)


You and the other idiot that thinks Alex has more limitations at this point in his career is lost. maybe Alex wouldn"t have beat the Pats but he would have beat the Rams twice and the division would already be won.

Posted: 12/28/2012 10:02 PM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In Post Rating (7 votes)


Did you watch the Seattle game Kap sucked big time. Quit pulling the coaching staff Dick or maybe you don't know football.
Avatar

Posted: 12/29/2012 3:18 PM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In 


tukedog

The last couple posts were completely inappropriate. Please check your PM.

Posted: 12/29/2012 5:44 PM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In 



pudding wrote: tukedog

The last couple posts were completely inappropriate. Please check your PM.
Couldn't someone just block out this tukedog lunatic right out of here.

Posted: 12/30/2012 6:56 AM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In Post Rating (3 votes)


Stop being so soft and get out of your feelings. You want me blocked why because i called someone a idiot? The truth of the matter is in every game w have lost with Kap we had a chance to win and I think with the progress that Alex showed this year and the play of the Wr's this year we would have won the division by now. Alex wouldnt have made that throw to randy in back of the in zone. we would have at least gotten three out of it.The more that they have film on Kap the less points we score. That's because at this point in his career he has not enough experience.
Avatar

Posted: 12/30/2012 9:11 AM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In 


Calm down tukedog and let's see what will happen next.  As I stated before, trust in the coaches for they know more than what we know out here.  Now I'm not saying that coaches are always right I'm sure they felt it was time to pull the plug when they did

LoneStar Niner

Last edited 12/30/2012 9:12 AM by guysix

Posted: 12/30/2012 10:45 AM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In Post Rating (1 vote)


The issue is Holmes, is that we have a civil board. If you want to talk football, great. We welcome you and your opinions. But If you want to be an Internet douche bag there must be a soccer, WNBA or wrestling board you can go to

---------------------------------------------
--- tukedog1 wrote:

Stop being so soft and get out of your feelings. You want me blocked why because i called someone a idiot? The truth of the matter is in every game w have lost with Kap we had a chance to win and I think with the progress that Alex showed this year and the play of the Wr's this year we would have won the division by now. Alex wouldnt have made that throw to randy in back of the in zone. we would have at least gotten three out of it.The more that they have film on Kap the less points we score. That's because at this point in his career he has not enough experience.

---------------------------------------------

Last edited 12/30/2012 11:02 AM by rogerforthehall

Posted: 12/30/2012 11:15 AM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In 


I absolutely think the 9ers would have beaten the Pats with Smith.  We had plenty of extremely short fields that we either scored on or missed out on.  It's not like Kap had 500 yards and 4 TDs.  I think all things being equal, with our defense playing awesome the first half, Alex would have done just as well.

At this point, you can't make a change back to Alex, but I'll be pretty pissed if we don't get as far as we did last year.
  • Smith2Davis
  • 4th Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 3.2/5 this site
  • 515 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 12/30/2012 11:27 AM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In Post Rating (1 vote)


We can all sit around and be arm chair QB's but the truth of the matter is we made the switch and with a win today we will take the division.  Who cares.  We wouldn't even be talking about this if Akers makes both of his OT FG's against the rams.  Stop blaming Kap and move on.  Seattle out played us period.  There were a lot of mistakes all over the field.  Akers gets a FG blocked and instead of 14-3 we were looking at 21-0.  To overcome that in Seattle would of been tough.  They made us one dimensional and we had to abandon the run. 

Sit back and relax and worry about the next game.  I remember a few years ago people wanted Alex gone.  Now we are praising him like he is some type of elite QB.  Kap is going into his 7th start and is doing great.  I would take a 4-2 record from a rookie QB any day.  The first Ram tie was not his start he came in and got us in position to win.  Unfortunately Akers could not convert.
  • Stokes83
  • 1st Pick 1st Round
  • Rating: 2.9/5 this site
  • 5562 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 12/30/2012 1:12 PM

RE: Put Alex Smith Back In 


i don't like that people have already jumped off the Alex Smith bandwagon since Kapernick came in.

fellas...you never know.

look at the Patriots in 2001. How quickly people forget that Tom Brady got hurt in the AFC title game and Drew Bledsoe came in and finished the game.

so please stop with the "Alex would have lost this game and that game" talk, because it's not true.

Alex to me silenced ALL critics with last year's game winning TD drive vs the Saints.

---------------------
With pick No. 36 in the 2011 NFL, the San Francisco 49ers select...Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada 

Posted: 12/30/2012 4:02 PM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In Post Rating (4 votes)


You Alice lovers make me laugh.  Can't wait to see the mass exodus when we win the Lombardi this year.  Alice couldn't hold Kaep's jockstrap.  Alice will be starting for a perennial loser next year IF he's lucky.  Alice would have been elite in 1950 but in 2013 he is TRASH.

Posted: 12/30/2012 5:13 PM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In 



49caliber wrote: You Alice lovers make me laugh.  Can't wait to see the mass exodus when we win the Lombardi this year.  Alice couldn't hold Kaep's jockstrap.  Alice will be starting for a perennial loser next year IF he's lucky.  Alice would have been elite in 1950 but in 2013 he is TRASH.
You are another idiot, sir. On his own merit alone with regards to the Lombardi trophy, CK is almost as far from it as Alex.
Avatar

Posted: 12/30/2012 5:50 PM

Re: Put Alex Smith Back In Post Rating (1 vote)


Pretty disappointing responses on both sides of the fence here. Come on guys.
Post New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >