Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Sack Record

  • mrmagicmike4life
  • 4th Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 2.8/5 this site
  • 559 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 4:03 PM

Sack Record 


As we know Aldon Smith has 19.5 sacks this season with 3 games to go, personally I think he winds up with close to 25 sacks, breaking the record vs Seattle and icing the cake vs Zona...this kid is an absolute beast the likes of Derrick Thomas and Lawrence Taylor and I'm SICK of hearing about Von Miller in the media he is not even close to being on the level of Aldon Smith and clearly if the 2011 Draft were re-drafted now it would be Smith going #2 overall....BEAST!
I was MagicMike when Channing Tatum was a NOBODY!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 4:04 PM

Re: Sack Record 


The best part for me is remembering all the hate that was thrown at the franchise folks who drafted him on draft day.  tongue
mrmagicmike4life wrote: As we know Aldon Smith has 19.5 sacks this season with 3 games to go, personally I think he winds up with close to 25 sacks, breaking the record vs Seattle and icing the cake vs Zona...this kid is an absolute beast the likes of Derrick Thomas and Lawrence Taylor and I'm SICK of hearing about Von Miller in the media he is not even close to being on the level of Aldon Smith and clearly if the 2011 Draft were re-drafted now it would be Smith going #2 overall....BEAST!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 4:09 PM

RE: Sack Record 


Yeah...I was one of them.

A friend was recently giving me a hard time over a tweet I got that I found hilarious at the time.

"The 49ers drafting Aldon Smith is like getting a sweater from Santa."

Yep...I was wrong, and I still feel like an idiot. But that draft taught me something important...don't ever doubt Baalke again!

Last edited 12/10/2012 4:09 PM by NinerNation07

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 4:15 PM

Re: Sack Record 


We want Carr...I mean, Prince Amukamara! tongue
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 4:30 PM

Re: Sack Record 



mrmagicmike4life wrote: As we know Aldon Smith has 19.5 sacks this season with 3 games to go, personally I think he winds up with close to 25 sacks, breaking the record vs Seattle and icing the cake vs Zona...this kid is an absolute beast the likes of Derrick Thomas and Lawrence Taylor and I'm SICK of hearing about Von Miller in the media he is not even close to being on the level of Aldon Smith and clearly if the 2011 Draft were re-drafted now it would be Smith going #2 overall....BEAST!
Von Miller is not the pass rusher that Aldon is (I'm not sure anybody is, quite frankly), but he's probably a more complete player at this point.  Von gets a lot of TFLs too.  Teams can still attack Aldon a little bit by running the ball right at him whereas Von sheds his blocker well and doesn't overrun plays.  Don't get me wrong, I'm glad we have Aldon and he might arguably go 2nd overall if that draft was done again, but to say Von Miller "is not even close to being on the level of Aldon Smith" is a little bit of homerism in my opinion.  They're both fantastic players.

As to your point about the sack record, I think he's going to get it too.  But I don't think it's going to come before the Arizona game.  The next two games are going to be tougher to get sacks.  Brady is tough to sack because he gets great pass protection and gets rid of the ball quickly when he needs to.  Wilson is tough to sack because of his mobility.  Aldon may have to go lights out against the Cards to get the record.  Fortunately, I think he can do just that.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 4:41 PM

Re: Sack Record 


Yeah, I think Aldon Smith, Von Miler and JJ Watt are all very, very close to one another. If there was a re-draft, I don't think it's clearly predictable which order those three would go.

2011 was a pretty impressive draft for top-end defensive players.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 5:00 PM

Re: Sack Record 


I definitely think Von Miller is legit, too. He may not have Aldon's sack total (although he has 16 this year, and 28 for his career, himself), but he's proven that he's much more than just a pass rush specialist, which is why he's been given consideration for DPOTY. I think Aldon Smith is a little underrated by some national media types, who think he's also just a one trick pony, but he's not quite as good against the run, according to various metrics, and he definitely benefits from having Justin Smith take up many double-teams in front of him.

All three of these guys (Miller, Smith, watt) look to be fixtures for years to come. When you add in Marcel Dareus, Patrick Peterson, Robert Quinn, and Ryan Kerrigan (all taken in the first half of the 1st round), you've got a pretty impressive cast of defensive draft picks from the 1st round of 2011.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 5:11 PM

RE: Sack Record 


i very clearly remember saying when we drafted him, that aldon would break reggie white's records for the most sacks in the first 2 years of his career. ;o)

actually i was shocked but i gave the FO the benefit of the doubt and waited to pass judgment. thankfully, they ignored popular opinion and took aldon at #7.

as for miller, he's an awesome player too and a player i loved coming into the draft. i can't be mad at him but for our team and our needs, i'll take aldon. he still has a ways to go in pass coverage and even against the run- although he's been quite good in that area lately. but as a pure pass rusher, he is the best IMO.

i've seen him get lots of sacks on stunts with justin assisting. but he has also had an awful lot of sacks where he just manhandled the o-lineman and bowled him over with pure strength and explosiveness- his freakishly long arms make it very difficult for linemen to 'get into him' and block him. he has super strong hands too which allow him to disengage and slap them away.

finally, he has excellent quickness and speed off the edge and i've seen a growing number of sacks/pressures of that variety too. this kid is only going to get better and i love that he has a fantastic motor. he is only just beginning his assault of the 49er record books and perhaps the nfl record books too!

"You are either getting better or you are getting worse; you never stay the same."

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 5:31 PM

Re: Sack Record 


Agreed.  I think there's a very good chance that those three will finish 1-2-3 in the DPOY voting.  The only mystery at this point is the order.  If Aldon takes down the sack record, that may sway it in his favor.
Minstrel wrote: Yeah, I think Aldon Smith, Von Miler and JJ Watt are all very, very close to one another. If there was a re-draft, I don't think it's clearly predictable which order those three would go.

2011 was a pretty impressive draft for top-end defensive players.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 6:30 PM

Re: Sack Record 



plannb23 wrote: The best part for me is remembering all the hate that was thrown at the franchise folks who drafted him on draft day.  tongue
mrmagicmike4life wrote: As we know Aldon Smith has 19.5 sacks this season with 3 games to go, personally I think he winds up with close to 25 sacks, breaking the record vs Seattle and icing the cake vs Zona...this kid is an absolute beast the likes of Derrick Thomas and Lawrence Taylor and I'm SICK of hearing about Von Miller in the media he is not even close to being on the level of Aldon Smith and clearly if the 2011 Draft were re-drafted now it would be Smith going #2 overall....BEAST!
That was me. But then again, that's why I don't pull a pay check from the organization.  I'm always happy to be wrong in a case like this.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 6:47 PM

Re: Sack Record 


Here's the draft day thread from 2011, for those interested. I'm glad that my take was even-tempered. biggrin 


Aldon Smith had been climbing up draft boards according to many reports, so it's not entirely surprising that he climbed into the top-10. I am a little surprised, though, that it was the 49ers who had been studying up on him.

One thing is for sure, Trent Baalke is straight-shooter when it comes to targeting players he likes and going after them. Last year he wanted Davis, and traded up to make sure he landed him. This year, he didn't even consider trading down (or so it appears) and just nabbed Smith. Hopefully Smith proves he was worth the confidence.

The guy is quite an athlete and, in terms of raw potential, a guy who could end up better than Von Miller if he can refine his technique. We'll see.



I admittedly was a Robert Quinn fan leading up to the draft, since I felt both Von Miller and Patrick Peterson would be gone, but Smith had been impressing a lot of scouts who were looking closer at his film. The two big question marks I remember reading about were whether he could improve his ability to stay low and get leverage, which was something Robert Quinn did far more naturally in college. Smith, however, had been brought inside to run some inside 3-technique at times, and showed tremendous power inside, which some felt could translate to the NFL.

Well... bingo.. that power he flashed inside has begun to display itself in the form of his bull rush. Overall, it's his technique on both the speed and bull rush that have really been impressive thus far. A lot of credit has to go to the coaching staff, from Tomsula to Fangio, for his rapid progress.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 10:47 PM

Re: Sack Record 



pudding wrote: Here's the draft day thread from 2011, for those interested. I'm glad that my take was even-tempered. biggrin 


Aldon Smith had been climbing up draft boards according to many reports, so it's not entirely surprising that he climbed into the top-10. I am a little surprised, though, that it was the 49ers who had been studying up on him.

One thing is for sure, Trent Baalke is straight-shooter when it comes to targeting players he likes and going after them. Last year he wanted Davis, and traded up to make sure he landed him. This year, he didn't even consider trading down (or so it appears) and just nabbed Smith. Hopefully Smith proves he was worth the confidence.

The guy is quite an athlete and, in terms of raw potential, a guy who could end up better than Von Miller if he can refine his technique. We'll see.



I admittedly was a Robert Quinn fan leading up to the draft, since I felt both Von Miller and Patrick Peterson would be gone, but Smith had been impressing a lot of scouts who were looking closer at his film. The two big question marks I remember reading about were whether he could improve his ability to stay low and get leverage, which was something Robert Quinn did far more naturally in college. Smith, however, had been brought inside to run some inside 3-technique at times, and showed tremendous power inside, which some felt could translate to the NFL.

Well... bingo.. that power he flashed inside has begun to display itself in the form of his bull rush. Overall, it's his technique on both the speed and bull rush that have really been impressive thus far. A lot of credit has to go to the coaching staff, from Tomsula to Fangio, for his rapid progress.
He can only get stronger and faster and hopefully that equals better!
No play is too big for Colin Kaepernick!!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 4:54 AM

Re: Sack Record 


AS should get the record and with that he will wrap up DPOTY.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/11/2012 8:10 AM

Re: Sack Record 


Getting the sack record will not necessarily 'wrap up' the award for Aldon Smith. Mark Gastineau didn't win the award the year he set the record (1984). It will definitely improve his chances of winning the award, but Von Miller remains in the conversation, as does JJ Watt (although the big loss on prime time against New England while he got 'shut out' won't help him if Aldon Smith goes into New England next week and gets all over Brady).

It should also be noted that in 1987, when Reggie White had 21 sacks, White only played in 12 games due to the player's strike (the other 4 games that year were played with 'replacement' players). That's the same year Jerry Rice had 22 touchdowns in only 12 games, btw.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 9:05 AM

RE: Sack Record 


aldon does benefit from having his next 2 games come under the spotlight of sunday night football. if he has 2 big games in the next 2 weeks, that could leave a big impression on people.

personally as awesome a year as he's having, if i had to venture a guess i'd say he's in 3rd right now behind miller and watt. possibly a tie for 2nd. it's a very close race though but i feel that's how it would shake out if the season ended today.

still 3 games left to add to his resume though, 2 in primetime!

"You are either getting better or you are getting worse; you never stay the same."

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/11/2012 2:03 PM

Re: Sack Record 


One interesting difference in the usage of Aldon Smith that I've noticed lately seems to be a change in how the 49ers are defending slot receivers. Slot receivers have sometimes been a problem for the 49ers and now I noticed that more and more, if the slot receiver is on Aldon's side, he'll drop into coverage underneath against the slot. I assume that's to give the corner assigned to the slot a chance to play further off, avoiding being beaten with a quick first step off the line while taking away the quick underneath passing lane.

While it may cost Smith a sack or two overall (pass plays spent dropping are pass plays generally not spent rushing the quarterback), if it works, it makes the 49ers' defense better and Smith a more well-rounded player. After all, traditional pass-rushers dropping into coverage while a linebacker or defensive back rushes the passer instead is what drives the zone blitz that Fangio has been a disciple of nearly since its inception (from what I've read). Aldon being able to drop into coverage (as Brooks can) enables more versatility in terms of which side the unexpected rush can come from. And where the unexpected zone defender is.

My recollection is that this started in the most recent Rams game.

Last edited 12/11/2012 2:22 PM by Minstrel

Reply | Quote
  • Stokes83
  • 1st Pick 1st Round
  • Rating: 2.9/5 this site
  • 5567 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 12/12/2012 9:57 PM

RE: Sack Record 


i honestly hope Aldon breaks the record just because i hated the way Strahan set it.

that was a joke what Favre did, he gave him the sack record. Aldon will earn it the right way, no gimme sacks.

---------------------
With pick No. 36 in the 2011 NFL, the San Francisco 49ers select...Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada 

Reply | Quote
  • Stokes83
  • 1st Pick 1st Round
  • Rating: 2.9/5 this site
  • 5567 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 12/12/2012 9:59 PM

RE: Sack Record 



higherwarrior wrote: aldon does benefit from having his next 2 games come under the spotlight of sunday night football. if he has 2 big games in the next 2 weeks, that could leave a big impression on people.

personally as awesome a year as he's having, if i had to venture a guess i'd say he's in 3rd right now behind miller and watt. possibly a tie for 2nd. it's a very close race though but i feel that's how it would shake out if the season ended today.

still 3 games left to add to his resume though, 2 in primetime!

really? 3rd?

i think he's the DPOY right now, he's amazing. 5.5 sacks in one game? that's insane. 19.5 with 3 games to go.

I still think he should have gotten the DROY instead of Von Miller, who is a great player himself, i mean, Aldon was .5 away from setting the rookie sack record and he played about half the number of snaps as Von Miller did.

---------------------
With pick No. 36 in the 2011 NFL, the San Francisco 49ers select...Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/13/2012 3:14 AM

RE: Sack Record 


not arguing with you, but listen to the average person around the league or the fan. aldon is 'quietly' having an amazing season and for whatever reason the perception in most circles is that those 2 guys are probably higher than him.

we'll see though. still 3 games left.

"You are either getting better or you are getting worse; you never stay the same."

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/13/2012 8:18 AM

Re: Sack Record 


To be fair, JJ Watt isn't all that far behind Aldon and also has, like 16 passes defensed? That's amazing. And Von Miller is also not that far behind Aldon and has significantly more tackles for loss and a few more forced fumbles and an interception. Plus a touchdown.

Who should be in the lead isn't obvious, IMO.

Last edited 12/13/2012 8:19 AM by Minstrel

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >