Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >

Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick?

  • Stokes83
  • 1st Pick 1st Round
  • Rating: 2.9/5 this site
  • 5560 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 12/09/2012 10:14 PM

Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 


everybody here that knows me knows that I am a huge Alex Smith fan.

but first and foremost, i'm an 49ers fan. I like Colin, he's got skills at QB. But for some reason, i've still got this uneasiness about him.

He hasn't really played solid the last two weeks and the 49ers offense has kinda stumbled. Vernon Davis has been non existent, Crabtree has exploded (16 catches for 194 yards), and the running game has improved.

We've got a legit downfield threat because Colin can be accurate downfield and his mobility can help create plays.

But i've also got this feeling that the 49ers are kinda limited with him in some way on offense. Anybody else got that feeling?

I really hope he pans out and I also hope Alex Smith pans out, although it will probably be with another team.

---------------------
With pick No. 36 in the 2011 NFL, the San Francisco 49ers select...Colin Kaepernick, QB, Nevada 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/09/2012 11:32 PM

RE: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 


He was 18-23 today...that was solid. If Moss catches the TD pass, he'd have had a hell of a day. You're probably uneasy because you've seen everything Alex Smith has to offer, and you are prepared for whichever Alex shows up on gameday. Kaepernick is a wild card. You don't know what to expect, and that causes uneasiness.

He does seem to have some issues with the play clock...but one play Delanie was just in the wrong spot(man he seems to be causing problems this year).

What bothers me more than anything is the lack of protection by the O-line. It seems like they haven't shown up the last couple weeks.

The stat line for this game is one you'd expect to see from Smith...which is why I love it. Kaepernick in his second year is playing on a level very similar to Smith in his 8th. Ceiling(Smith), meet floor(Kaepernick). He has a few rough edges, but I'm excited about the change.

Reply | Quote
  • danes1919
  • 6th Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 3.1/5 this site
  • 77 posts this site

Posted: 12/09/2012 11:48 PM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 


Yeah, I feel a bit uneasy about Kap and the whole QB situation all around.  I'm uneasy because I'm just not sure if he is fully ready yet to be the starter or if it's Harbaugh's game planning that is making me feel this way.  We are nearing the end of the regular season, and it seems like we are taking a risk by having him out there if we are just going to run the same old offense.  Perhaps, Harbaugh is play calling like this on purpose to mess with future opponents preparation. But with what I saw today (I was at the game) and last week on tv...this is a question that came to mind:

If we are going to run the same offense that the niners used with Alex Smith at the helm, then why isn't he starting? 

Everyone knows with the play calling against the Rams, Smith would have led us to a win because he wouldn't make those rookie-like mistakes that Kap did.  Today, what was up with the end of the first half?  Why not use a time-out and try to throw a touchdown.  Instead Harbaugh (I assume) has Kap run the clock down and throw it out of bounds so they can kick a field goal as time expires!  That made no bloody sense.  Moss and especially Davis were open deep all day, but we still had the QB throw quick slants and check downs. (thank god Crabtree had great effort to get YAC).  I thought Kap was the starter because of his arm strength?  If he's not allowed to use it (because we all know he is more than capable) then why start him?  Is this all on purpose?

Sorry for the novel response.  I don't post on here very much and haven't been to a game at Candlestick in over 4 years.  And I guess I was quite disappointed in today's performance on offense.  Not very entertaining (albeit LaMichael James was awesome!).  When you spend over $600 to see your favorite football not even take shots down the field (outside of a trick play) with a QB who is supposedly the starter because he brings more arm strength and play-making ability; you kind of feel uneasy about the whole situation.

Happy with the W, but hoping to see major improvement next week at NE!

Go Niners!!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 8:34 AM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? Post Rating (1 vote)


Yeah, I'm sort of leary about CK at this point also.  We are 1 and 1/2 games ahead of the SeaHawks and I believe that CK cost us at least that one game against the Rams, by the time we play the Pat's and then have to take on the SeaHawks in their house that game could cost us the division.

CK has a very large upside, and I would have been thrilled to see him start........The 1st game next year.  I guess I just don't get it starting him now while we were (Past tense intended) making a Super Bowll bid.

It is very doubtful that we will have our entire D intact next season, possible but unrealistic to think so. That being the case our chance of going all the way drop way off, so that would be a good time to start a new QB because your not throwing your season away.

A lot of the O-Line problems are not because the O-Line didn't show up, it's because they are not use to CK and his buying time the way he does. 

CK costs us big time in clock management problems and that will kill us when playing playoff caliber teams.

This just seemed like a real bad time for Harbaugh to throw CK into the hunt full time after Smith was medically cleared.  Smith could have taken us all the way, he would have last year were it not for Williams muffed punts.

Again, CK is without a doubt the future of the team, but he has a lot of learning to do as of yet and although I realize that you can only really learn when the bullets are real, starting him in mid-season in the middle of a Super Bowl run when you have a highly rated QB that the entire O-Line and the rest of the offense as well is use to playing with sitting on the sidelines just seemed sort of strange to me.  I would have expected that (Playing "My Guy" regardless of cost to team" out of Nolan but I really didn't see that coming from Harbaugh.

Anyway what's done is done, can only hang in there and hope for the best.

 Click to show "Ronnie Lott" result 11

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 8:54 AM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 


Of course mainly because I saw CK lose a game for us that we were winning easily. When is the last time Smith did that? Can't even remember.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 8:58 AM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? Post Rating (2 votes)



gldnwht wrote: Yeah, I'm sort of leary about CK at this point also.  We are 1 and 1/2 games ahead of the SeaHawks and I believe that CK cost us at least that one game against the Rams, by the time we play the Pat's and then have to take on the SeaHawks in their house that game could cost us the division.

CK has a very large upside, and I would have been thrilled to see him start........The 1st game next year.  I guess I just don't get it starting him now while we were (Past tense intended) making a Super Bowll bid.

It is very doubtful that we will have our entire D intact next season, possible but unrealistic to think so. That being the case our chance of going all the way drop way off, so that would be a good time to start a new QB because your not throwing your season away.

A lot of the O-Line problems are not because the O-Line didn't show up, it's because they are not use to CK and his buying time the way he does

CK costs us big time in clock management problems and that will kill us when playing playoff caliber teams.

This just seemed like a real bad time for Harbaugh to throw CK into the hunt full time after Smith was medically cleared.  Smith could have taken us all the way, he would have last year were it not for Williams muffed punts.

Again, CK is without a doubt the future of the team, but he has a lot of learning to do as of yet and although I realize that you can only really learn when the bullets are real, starting him in mid-season in the middle of a Super Bowl run when you have a highly rated QB that the entire O-Line and the rest of the offense as well is use to playing with sitting on the sidelines just seemed sort of strange to me.  I would have expected that (Playing "My Guy" regardless of cost to team" out of Nolan but I really didn't see that coming from Harbaugh.

Anyway what's done is done, can only hang in there and hope for the best.

No, no, no, no.  Way off.  Kaep was sensational in the Bears game, played well AT the Saints (something I'm not sure Smith would've handled as well), he brought us back from behind in the 1st Rams game (in which Alex started), he put us in position to win the the 2nd Rams game (if not for a dropped TD pass & missed FG), and he was turnover free & sealed the game with his TD run in this game.

And "buying time in the pocket" is NOT why the O-line struggled the last couple weeks.  The rams d-line really came to play in the 2nd game, and the Dolphins have an underrated pass-rush with Cameron Wake off the edge & Randy Stark in the middle.

And the clock management problem is as much on Harbaugh & Roman getting the plays in, as it is on Kaepernick.  Alex Smith has that problem on occasion too.  Part of it is them both having the freedon to change plays at the line because of both of their smarts & understanding of the offense.

Just as NN07 said, Colin is in his 2nd year, and Smith is in his 8th & still struggles with pocket awareness & clock management.  I'll go with the guy that has the bigger arm, better athleticism, and can overcome certain struggles with the O-line, defensive lapses, and coaching goofs.....that's not Alex.

Last edited 12/10/2012 8:59 AM by NashvilleNiner

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 10:01 AM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? Post Rating (2 votes)



NashvilleNiner wrote:
gldnwht wrote: Yeah, I'm sort of leary about CK at this point also.  We are 1 and 1/2 games ahead of the SeaHawks and I believe that CK cost us at least that one game against the Rams, by the time we play the Pat's and then have to take on the SeaHawks in their house that game could cost us the division.

CK has a very large upside, and I would have been thrilled to see him start........The 1st game next year.  I guess I just don't get it starting him now while we were (Past tense intended) making a Super Bowll bid.

It is very doubtful that we will have our entire D intact next season, possible but unrealistic to think so. That being the case our chance of going all the way drop way off, so that would be a good time to start a new QB because your not throwing your season away.

A lot of the O-Line problems are not because the O-Line didn't show up, it's because they are not use to CK and his buying time the way he does

CK costs us big time in clock management problems and that will kill us when playing playoff caliber teams.

This just seemed like a real bad time for Harbaugh to throw CK into the hunt full time after Smith was medically cleared.  Smith could have taken us all the way, he would have last year were it not for Williams muffed punts.

Again, CK is without a doubt the future of the team, but he has a lot of learning to do as of yet and although I realize that you can only really learn when the bullets are real, starting him in mid-season in the middle of a Super Bowl run when you have a highly rated QB that the entire O-Line and the rest of the offense as well is use to playing with sitting on the sidelines just seemed sort of strange to me.  I would have expected that (Playing "My Guy" regardless of cost to team" out of Nolan but I really didn't see that coming from Harbaugh.

Anyway what's done is done, can only hang in there and hope for the best.

No, no, no, no.  Way off.  Kaep was sensational in the Bears game, played well AT the Saints (something I'm not sure Smith would've handled as well), he brought us back from behind in the 1st Rams game (in which Alex started), he put us in position to win the the 2nd Rams game (if not for a dropped TD pass & missed FG), and he was turnover free & sealed the game with his TD run in this game.

And "buying time in the pocket" is NOT why the O-line struggled the last couple weeks.  The rams d-line really came to play in the 2nd game, and the Dolphins have an underrated pass-rush with Cameron Wake off the edge & Randy Stark in the middle.

And the clock management problem is as much on Harbaugh & Roman getting the plays in, as it is on Kaepernick.  Alex Smith has that problem on occasion too.  Part of it is them both having the freedon to change plays at the line because of both of their smarts & understanding of the offense.

Just as NN07 said, Colin is in his 2nd year, and Smith is in his 8th & still struggles with pocket awareness & clock management.  I'll go with the guy that has the bigger arm, better athleticism, and can overcome certain struggles with the O-line, defensive lapses, and coaching goofs.....that's not Alex.
You keep saying that he put us in a position to win that second Rams game, which he did, but he put us in the position to need it, a position we would not have been in with Smith. I don't know how anyone can't see that. 

And yes, I'm very uneasy about him.  I worry that on Sunday we see that CK doesn't belong starting a SB contending team.. That's more to do with the fact that he's an unknown than anything else though.  And he's young.  You expect growing pains, and I do.  But in the middle of the season is where I have the problem.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 10:14 AM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 



metfansrule wrote:
NashvilleNiner wrote:
No, no, no, no.  Way off.  Kaep was sensational in the Bears game, played well AT the Saints (something I'm not sure Smith would've handled as well), he brought us back from behind in the 1st Rams game (in which Alex started), he put us in position to win the the 2nd Rams game (if not for a dropped TD pass & missed FG), and he was turnover free & sealed the game with his TD run in this game.

And "buying time in the pocket" is NOT why the O-line struggled the last couple weeks.  The rams d-line really came to play in the 2nd game, and the Dolphins have an underrated pass-rush with Cameron Wake off the edge & Randy Stark in the middle.

And the clock management problem is as much on Harbaugh & Roman getting the plays in, as it is on Kaepernick.  Alex Smith has that problem on occasion too.  Part of it is them both having the freedon to change plays at the line because of both of their smarts & understanding of the offense.

Just as NN07 said, Colin is in his 2nd year, and Smith is in his 8th & still struggles with pocket awareness & clock management.  I'll go with the guy that has the bigger arm, better athleticism, and can overcome certain struggles with the O-line, defensive lapses, and coaching goofs.....that's not Alex.
You keep saying that he put us in a position to win that second Rams game, which he did, but he put us in the position to need it, a position we would not have been in with Smith. I don't know how anyone can't see that. 

And yes, I'm very uneasy about him.  I worry that on Sunday we see that CK doesn't belong starting a SB contending team.. That's more to do with the fact that he's an unknown than anything else though.  And he's young.  You expect growing pains, and I do.  But in the middle of the season is where I have the problem.

I would argue that he was put in that postition by bad playcalling, and the dropped TD pass.  I'm not saying he didn't make a bad pitch, he did, but it should never have been called, and there was no audible to get out of it.  And him running out of bounds wouldn't be an issue, if Walker catches the ball (and he then gets called for holding).  Kaepernick made plays to win, his teammates let him down.  PERIOD.

It really doesn't matter if you have a problem with it, its Harbaugh decision.  Its fine to be uneasy about it, but you cannott put all of the blame Kaepernick for the Tie, or the loss, to the Rams.  And use that as the reason for your uneasiness, because its just not true.

If not for Akers missed FG in St. Louis, and Walker's dropped TD (or Akers missed FG in OT), Kaepernick would be be 4-0 (plus the comeback win in St. Louis he didn't start) right now, and we'd be 11-2 tied with Atlanta for the #1 seed in the NFC.

Last edited 12/10/2012 10:22 AM by NashvilleNiner

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 10:38 AM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 


I think Kaepernick can absolutely be held accountable for certain bad plays that have happened, including the pitch, and to say that the only reason he hasn't been more successful is because his teammates has let him down is inviting the argument that the very same could be said for Smith at times over the past couple seasons.

The reality is, Kaepernick is prone to some mistakes. He should be, too, given his level of experience. He's got a ways to go before he can be considered amongst the elite at his position. That said, the reason Harbaugh went with him appears to be pretty clear. Despite the mistakes, despite the miscues, despite the growing pains.. he is already capable of producing at the level Smith had been producing, and, by their judgment, the positive plays he can generate outweigh the negatives.

But, I ask you.. do you feel confident Kaepernick can pull out a 50 yard run every game to keep the 49ers in contention, especially against better teams? That's the test that he has yet to face, and that's the risk the coaching staff has taken. They believe that he's ready for a crash course in hard knocks to be ready come playoff time. We won't know until he goes up against, say, the Giants defense to see if that gambit will pay off.

And, to be brutally honest, I think the Giants are the team the coaching staff are specifically looking at. They saw how Alex struggled against them in the playoffs a year ago and again this year in the regular season. Colin's ability to extend the pocket could be the difference maker against their front seven.

I should add that Colin's ability tendency to hold onto the ball is also partly why the offensive line has had trouble at times in blocking. Aside from the brutal whiff by Anthony Davis on Cameron Wake, many of the other sacks were because Kaepernick was looking downfield. This is not unusual for teams that like to go vertical, though. Aaron Rodgers has taken a lot of sacks over the years because he will hold onto the ball waiting for the targets to open up downfield. You give, and you take. That's football.

Ultimately, I think it's natural to feel uneasy about Kaepernick. He's a young QB, and young QBs, even the best ones, will show flaws more evidently than experienced ones will. There's no turning back, now, though. Smith's the security blanket in case of injury, etc., but with four solid games under his belt and not real hiccups, it seems a good bet that Kaepernick has probably earned himself starts through the end of the year and beyond.
Reply | Quote
  • barrance
  • 7th Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 3.1/5 this site
  • 70 posts this site

Posted: 12/10/2012 3:09 PM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 



pudding wrote: I think Kaepernick can absolutely be held accountable for certain bad plays that have happened, including the pitch.....

That's exactly what I said right after they lost that Rams game.  Bad play call or not, you would hope that your QB is smart enough to know when to eat it and not try to make something happen out of nothing.  Take the Sunday night game for example.  In the 4Q, right before the 2 min warning, GB is driving to close out the game.  It's 3rd and 13 and the Packers call for a HB screen.  Immediately after the play starts, one of the Lion's sniffs out the play and jumps the route.  Rodgers sees this, pulls back the pass, and takes a dive in bounds.  The result is a sack and 9 yd loss, but it forces the Lions to burn their last timeout before the 2 min warning.  That is the kind of heads up play that Kaep should have made.  I'm not trying lay blame on the kid, but this is one of those things that you might have to deal with when playing a young QB.  You gotta take the good with the bad and hope that he learns or outgrows the bad.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 7:36 PM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 


Just for clarity, Harbaugh said they didn't call an audible on the play that was a read option to Ginn. That could be Harbaugh covering for Kaepernick, but, to be fair, that's where Nashville is getting that. I don't agree that, just because there is no audible, that he is free of blame, though. He still chose to go with the play, he still chose to make the pitch instead of keeping it, and he still made an errant toss. For those reasons, he should still be held accountable.

Does it mean he's not worthy of being the starting QB? No. They were mistakes. Period. Excusing it is not good for the objective evaluation of his play. He made a number of excellent plays, as well, but his inexperience did show. I don't know if his inexperience cost the 49ers the game, but it didn't help (just as Kyle Williams fumbles didn't help in the NFC Championship game).

Learn from it and move on. No amount of arguing is going to change the fact that Kaepernick is the starter, and will be until further notice. He's done well enough to retain the job he was given. The hope is that he continues to improve and learn so that these mistakes don't cost the 49ers in more important games.

Every QB is ultimately judged, fairly or unfairly, on whether they win or lose. Alex Smith knows this all to well. Hopefully for us all, we won't have to see Colin wear that on his resume for years to come. As a 49er fan, I'll continue to root for CK and the Niners. I think he has all the tools; I don't know if he has it all together quite yet, but what he has in his arsenal could be more than enough to get the 49ers where they want to go.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 7:41 PM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 



NashvilleNiner wrote: No, no, no, no.  Way off.  Kaep was sensational in the Bears game, played well AT the Saints (something I'm not sure Smith would've handled as well)
Where do you get that? Alex handled the saints last year while going toe to toe with Brees. He was winning this year too. So I would like to know where you get your evidence that Alex wouldn't have played as well as CK in those games?

As far as the bears go, they were without Cutler and they are very overrated. They are 1 and 4 in their last 5 games!


NashvilleNiner wrote: I would argue that he was put in that postition by bad playcalling, and the dropped TD pass.  I'm not saying he didn't make a bad pitch, he did, but it should never have been called, and there was no audible to get out of it.  And him running out of bounds wouldn't be an issue, if Walker catches the ball (and he then gets called for holding).  Kaepernick made plays to win, his teammates let him down.  PERIOD.

You mean the same things Alex has had to put up with for years but all others said that it wasn't an excuse?

How do you know there wasn't an audible?

If, if, if, if a frog had a watertight ass he wouldn't have to sit on a lillypad. Games are made up of good and bad plays that doesn't excuse following a bad play with another.

So you're saying his teammates didn't make any plays to win? That this isn't a team sport and all the players contribute and detract with their play? CK's teammates are there only for window dressing and to let him down. Is that the same when Alex was QB? Just trying to get it straight.

metfansrule wrote: You keep saying that he put us in a position to win that second Rams game, which he did, but he put us in the position to need it, a position we would not have been in with Smith. I don't know how anyone can't see that. 
Exactly! Would they allow the same excuse had it been Alex that did the same thing?

barrance wrote:  That is the kind of heads up play that Kaep should have made.  I'm not trying lay blame on the kid, but this is one of those things that you might have to deal with when playing a young QB.  You gotta take the good with the bad and hope that he learns or outgrows the bad.
He should have made it but he is only a second year QB and those things happen. I am willing to bet that plenty of rookie QB's from this year and last have made their share of "brain fart" plays. If he doesn't learn from it and continues to do boneheaded things then Harbaugh needs to do something.


pudding wrote: Every QB is ultimately judged, fairly or unfairly, on whether they win or lose. Alex Smith knows this all to well. Hopefully for us all, we won't have to see Colin wear that on his resume for years to come. As a 49er fan, I'll continue to root for CK and the Niners. I think he has all the tools; I don't know if he has it all together quite yet, but what he has in his arsenal could be more than enough to get the 49ers where they want to go.
Ditto!


Suffering and rejoicing 49er fan since '69!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/10/2012 8:08 PM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 


CK is playing just fine but what I'm uneasy with is Roman's vanilla offense. At times we look like we're starting to fine tune the Offense.  However, as of late we look just like we've looked this last few years, very conservative and lacking creativity.  It's time to turn it up a notch Roman.

LoneStar Niner
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 10:12 PM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 


Not too worried.  I have a feeling the playbook or play calling will open up this Sunday.  The team is 3-1-?/1 under CK.  The 1 loss, who knows what would've happened if those hand full of plays didn't happen.  The next couple games will be a good measure of where CK is in his development.  It's not like the Niners are 0-4-?/1 under CK!

I am beginning to see this a bit more clearer and can't quite put it in words.  I trust Harbaugh more now than ever in this decision.  Yes, it is a gamble but I see the odds getting better.  I didn't see the game against the Dolphins but have been reading CK did a pretty good job of being a "Game Manager."

An interesting stat is that the Niners was 2-10 on 3rd downs but had 18 other first downs of which 2 were by penalties.  This sort of tells me that CK had big plays on 1st & 2nd down but still having trouble with 3rd downs.  

Niners didn't convert:
1. 3rd & 3
2. 3rd & 15
3. 3rd & 1
4. 3rd & 18
5. 3rd & 4
6. 3rd & 1
7. 3rd & 5
8. 3rd & 5

There were 6 situations that the Niners had 3rd & 5 or less.   I once heard that a QB is defined by 3rd downs and the red zone.  I am not saying they were all doable situations but moving forward, I hope CK can make big plays on 3rd down as well.
No play is to big for Colin Kaepernick!!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/10/2012 10:12 PM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 


Uneasy about Kap? I spent a whole offseason uneasy about the prospect of Alex Smith leading the 49ers into the post season this year. I can't wait to see the New England game and I'm giddy with excitement for the post season with Kap at QB.

Here's a stat that should make you all happy. SF scored more points against Miami yesterday than New England scored against Miami last week. In fact New England could only muster 6 points in the second half against Miami. Guess that means victory will be ours!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 7:42 AM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 



dea49 wrote:

NashvilleNiner wrote: No, no, no, no.  Way off.  Kaep was sensational in the Bears game, played well AT the Saints (something I'm not sure Smith would've handled as well)
Where do you get that? Alex handled the saints last year while going toe to toe with Brees. He was winning this year too. So I would like to know where you get your evidence that Alex wouldn't have played as well as CK in those games?

As far as the bears go, they were without Cutler and they are very overrated. They are 1 and 4 in their last 5 games!


NashvilleNiner wrote: I would argue that he was put in that postition by bad playcalling, and the dropped TD pass.  I'm not saying he didn't make a bad pitch, he did, but it should never have been called, and there was no audible to get out of it.  And him running out of bounds wouldn't be an issue, if Walker catches the ball (and he then gets called for holding).  Kaepernick made plays to win, his teammates let him down.  PERIOD.

You mean the same things Alex has had to put up with for years but all others said that it wasn't an excuse?

How do you know there wasn't an audible?

If, if, if, if a frog had a watertight ass he wouldn't have to sit on a lillypad. Games are made up of good and bad plays that doesn't excuse following a bad play with another.

So you're saying his teammates didn't make any plays to win? That this isn't a team sport and all the players contribute and detract with their play? CK's teammates are there only for window dressing and to let him down. Is that the same when Alex was QB? Just trying to get it straight.

metfansrule wrote: You keep saying that he put us in a position to win that second Rams game, which he did, but he put us in the position to need it, a position we would not have been in with Smith. I don't know how anyone can't see that. 
Exactly! Would they allow the same excuse had it been Alex that did the same thing?

YOU are the one making the assumption that we WOULD blame Alex for the bad playcall, and the dropped TD pass....and you know what happens when you ASSume!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 8:42 AM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 



NashvilleNiner wrote:
gldnwht wrote: Yeah, I'm sort of leary about CK at this point also.  We are 1 and 1/2 games ahead of the SeaHawks and I believe that CK cost us at least that one game against the Rams, by the time we play the Pat's and then have to take on the SeaHawks in their house that game could cost us the division.

CK has a very large upside, and I would have been thrilled to see him start........The 1st game next year.  I guess I just don't get it starting him now while we were (Past tense intended) making a Super Bowll bid.

It is very doubtful that we will have our entire D intact next season, possible but unrealistic to think so. That being the case our chance of going all the way drop way off, so that would be a good time to start a new QB because your not throwing your season away.

A lot of the O-Line problems are not because the O-Line didn't show up, it's because they are not use to CK and his buying time the way he does

CK costs us big time in clock management problems and that will kill us when playing playoff caliber teams.

This just seemed like a real bad time for Harbaugh to throw CK into the hunt full time after Smith was medically cleared.  Smith could have taken us all the way, he would have last year were it not for Williams muffed punts.

Again, CK is without a doubt the future of the team, but he has a lot of learning to do as of yet and although I realize that you can only really learn when the bullets are real, starting him in mid-season in the middle of a Super Bowl run when you have a highly rated QB that the entire O-Line and the rest of the offense as well is use to playing with sitting on the sidelines just seemed sort of strange to me.  I would have expected that (Playing "My Guy" regardless of cost to team" out of Nolan but I really didn't see that coming from Harbaugh.

Anyway what's done is done, can only hang in there and hope for the best.

No, no, no, no.  Way off.  Kaep was sensational in the Bears game, played well AT the Saints (something I'm not sure Smith would've handled as well), he brought us back from behind in the 1st Rams game (in which Alex started), he put us in position to win the the 2nd Rams game (if not for a dropped TD pass & missed FG), and he was turnover free & sealed the game with his TD run in this game.

And "buying time in the pocket" is NOT why the O-line struggled the last couple weeks.  The rams d-line really came to play in the 2nd game, and the Dolphins have an underrated pass-rush with Cameron Wake off the edge & Randy Stark in the middle.

And the clock management problem is as much on Harbaugh & Roman getting the plays in, as it is on Kaepernick.  Alex Smith has that problem on occasion too.  Part of it is them both having the freedon to change plays at the line because of both of their smarts & understanding of the offense.

Just as NN07 said, Colin is in his 2nd year, and Smith is in his 8th & still struggles with pocket awareness & clock management.  I'll go with the guy that has the bigger arm, better athleticism, and can overcome certain struggles with the O-line, defensive lapses, and coaching goofs.....that's not Alex.

First of all there is no way you or any of us can say that Alex would not also have beaten the Bears, to say he would have lost that game is pure assumption, and we know how to spell ass u me and what it leads to. Secondly, he was not taken out of the Rams game because we were behind or because of bad play, in fact his last play was to throw a TD, had he not been injured he was very capable of bringing us back for a win and it would not have been the first time he has done that. The second Ram game, every game has a turning point, and in the second Ram game it was when CK when put in a bad position with a bad call due to his lack of experience instead of eating the ball and letting Lee punt the thing 50+ yards tried to make something out of nothing and cost us the game in doing so, and yes he has to be held accountable for that decision...Alex would have eaten the ball no doubt in my mind about that. As far as CK playing well at the Saints, you say you don't think Alex would have done that.  Apparently you didn't see Alex play the Saints in the play-offs last year when he beat them. And yes, CK's style is still something the O-Line is getting use to and is costing us holding penalties because of how long he holds onto the ball. And as far as going with the guy that can overcome coaching goofs, I'll put Alex's 8 years of experience up against CK's few games every day and especially on Sundays.

Look, as I have said, CK is the future and starting him on game 1 next season would have been great, but inserting him into the  starting role when we are making a Super Bowl run IMHO was a real bad decision.  You can’t blame CK for that, any back-up QB will take the starting role if given that chance.  This is a call Harbaugh made and if it falls apart he will have to live with it and there is no doubt in my mind that he is willing to do so.  It’s just a shame that if things do go south  the team will also have to live with it because  for some they may be getting their final shot at it, and to a lesser degree the fans will also have to live with it.

 Click to show "Ronnie Lott" result 11

Last edited 12/11/2012 8:44 AM by gldnwht

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/11/2012 9:29 AM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? 


RE: Delay of game penalties..

Jim Harbaugh basically has said Colin needs to work on his clock management. He has had 4 delay of game penalties in his 4.5 games, which is more than Alex had in 8.5 games. That doesn't include the two burned TO by Harbaugh in the last game because CK was too slow to get out of the huddle.

Again, expected growing pains from a young QB, but it's clearly something he does frequently enough now that it warranted being publicly addressed by Harbaugh yesterday.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 11:22 AM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? Post Rating (1 vote)



gldnwht wrote:

First of all there is no way you or any of us can say that Alex would not also have beaten the Bears, Who said that?? 
to say he would have lost that game (again, who said that?  THAT'S an assumption) is pure assumption, and we know how to spell ass u me and what it leads to.
Secondly, he was not taken out of the Rams game because we were behind or because of bad play (true, but the fact is, we were behind when he was in, and CK brought us back, PERIOD.) in fact his last play was to throw a TD, had he not been injured he was very capable of bringing us back for a win (how do you know?  Again, an assumption) and it would not have been the first time he has done that.
The second Ram game, every game has a turning point, and in the second Ram game it was when CK when put in a bad position with a bad call due to his lack of experience instead of eating the ball and letting Lee punt the thing 50+ yards tried to make something out of nothing and cost us the game in doing so, and yes he has to be held accountable for that decision (what??  that makes no sense)...Alex would have eaten the ball no doubt in my mind about that (again, assumption).
As far as CK playing well at the Saints, you say you don't think Alex would have done that.  Apparently you didn't see Alex play the Saints in the play-offs last year when he beat them (actually, I did, and I praised him for it.  But it was at home against a bad NO defense). And yes, CK's style is still something the O-Line is getting use to and is costing us holding penalties because of how long he holds onto the ball. And as far as going with the guy that can overcome coaching goofs, I'll put Alex's 8 years of experience up against CK's few games every day and especially on Sundays.
Look, as I have said, CK is the future and starting him on game 1 next season would have been great, but inserting him into the  starting role when we are making a Super Bowl run IMHO was a real bad decision.  You can’t blame CK for that, any back-up QB will take the starting role if given that chance.  This is a call Harbaugh made and if it falls apart he will have to live with it and there is no doubt in my mind that he is willing to do so.  It’s just a shame that if things do go south  the team will also have to live with it because  for some they may be getting their final shot at it, and to a lesser degree the fans will also have to live with it.


Bottom line, its ok to be scared about the "new guy" coming in, but to blame his play for "costing us a game" is ludicris.  He played well enough to win every game he's been in.

Last edited 12/11/2012 11:23 AM by NashvilleNiner

Reply | Quote
  • guy03
  • 6th Round Draft Pick
  • Rating: 2.7/5 this site
  • 130 posts this site

Posted: 12/11/2012 11:33 AM

Re: Anybody still feel uneasy about Kaepernick? Post Rating (3 votes)


Man, you guys have short memories.  Alex was 1 for 13 to his wide receivers in the NFC championship game against the Giants.  He played like crap against the same Giants this year. For years, I've had to watch Alex, not knowing if he was going to have an average game or a good game, but rarely a great game.  This is not an outright put down of Alex, I admire his grit, his perseverance and his steady improvement over the years, but the decision to insert CK at this time was perfect timing.  It gives Colin six games to correct minor errors he is bound to make, but holy cow, the upside is off the charts. What impresses me most is not only his arm strength (vastly superior to Smiths) but also his accuracy either in the pocket or on the move.   The running threat is absolutely a serious issue for opposing defenses and I think we will see more read option plays down the road.  Bottom line, most teams have found a way to limit Smith and the offense, but Kaepernick presents a myriad of problems because of his rocket arm and quick feet.

Boy, I am glad most of the above are opinion masters and not coaches because I agree with every move that Harbaugh and his staff have made this year.  I feel for Brandon Jacobs but anyone can see that this offense does not improve with him but a runner like LaMichael James definitely soothes the loss of Kendall Hunter.  I would like to see more playing time for Jenkins because I thought he had real separation ability.  Anyway, lets go with what the coaches decide because they see it every day in practice.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >