Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 7  Next >

The Truth regarding Landry Jones

Posted: 8/17/2014 1:57 PM

The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


So I didn't get to see the game live last night, but base on reports that I read, Landry was awful.  After watching the game with my own eyes today, I have a completely different opinion.  The interception was a bad throw no doubt, but it was on a 3rd and 10, not much help from Haley welcoming Landry into the game.  Run, Run Pass when a qb is entering the game cold seems like a recipe for failure.   Second legit series, Landry is running for his life.  Hubbard is getting beat cleanly almost every play.  Not sure how you fault Jones when he can't even set his feet in the pocket. 
On the big play by Archer, Hubbard gets destroyed and Cohen is almost untouched on Jones.  Landry made a great play to get the ball of quickly and accurately to Archer.   Red zone, Jones get good protection and throws a beauty of a touch pass to Bryant for the TD, and it would have been a TD if Bryant hadn't been held.  On the Sack fumble, Adams gets driven, and I mean driven into Jones on the right side. Hubbard gets beat once again by Cohen up the middle and the sack actually comes late on the backside.  Not sure how you fault Jones when he has pressure coming from each side.  Last drive I saw, we had a 3rd and 8 near mid field, Jones hits Bryant right in his hands for about a 12 yard gain and it's dropped by Bryant.  

Jones was awful??  Not from what I saw.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:12 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


The issue with Landry is he is not really the "back up" his job is to develop into a starter one day. Looking at him as a backup he violates  the backup's motto of "do no harm". Unfortunately, you can tell he needs the reps to grow and would have been perfect for a NFL Europe type league but it doesn't seem he is going to get those reps to develop.

 

Last edited 8/17/2014 2:13 PM by thunderkwb

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:12 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


I'm not a Landry hater but if every time he's touched he coughs up the ball, that might be an issue.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:20 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


Watching the replay as well

The interception as a bad read/ forced throw,  and a bit behind where it needed to be.  Happens with young players

The fumble was a Ben play.   Hold the ball, hold the ball, then take the sack.   he needs to get rid of the ball there

The 3rd down incomplettion wasn't well thrown,  but probably could have been caught.   Bad part is that is the type of throw that when you put behind the WR like that often ends up being a tipped ball and a pick. 

On the other hand.  yes the screen to Dri was perfectly executed and perfectly thrown. The pass to Bryant in the end zone was perfectly thrown and should have been a TD.  Do s mixed bag with some positives which is better than I had expected based on reading the board today.  he does look like he has an NFL arm

Grad  i guess was better by a tiny bit.  He does make quicker decisions, and dumps the ball out or runs before taking the sack.  But he has the same old inaccurate bop gun he has had his whole NFL career.   I guess if you had Grad's experience with Jones arm, you might have a decent NFL backup, but right now both have huge limitations, and the Steelers are in HUGE trouble if either one of them take a meaningful snap
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:33 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


He had a rough game yesterday, but he's still a very young QB learning the ropes in the pros. Not trying to make excuses for him, but this is only his second year as an NFL QB and outside of the preseason, he didn't see any snaps in the regular season last year with Ben staying healthy in all 16 games which is a good thing. No one should hit the panic button on him because I see this as the same situation that Aaron Rogers went through playing behind Farve and learning for so many years before starting. Ben will be a great mentor to Jones and believe Jones is our future down the road. In the mean time, I think he should be our #3 QB depending on how he plays in the next two games because I really like the way Gradkowski played against the Bills yesterday and believe he's a better fit to back up Ben as the #2 QB.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 2:51 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 



Cervantes2 wrote: Watching the replay as well

The interception as a bad read/ forced throw,  and a bit behind where it needed to be.  Happens with young players

The fumble was a Ben play.   Hold the ball, hold the ball, then take the sack.   he needs to get rid of the ball there

The 3rd down incomplettion wasn't well thrown,  but probably could have been caught.   Bad part is that is the type of throw that when you put behind the WR like that often ends up being a tipped ball and a pick. 

On the other hand.  yes the screen to Dri was perfectly executed and perfectly thrown. The pass to Bryant in the end zone was perfectly thrown and should have been a TD.  Do s mixed bag with some positives which is better than I had expected based on reading the board today.  he does look like he has an NFL arm

Grad  i guess was better by a tiny bit.  He does make quicker decisions, and dumps the ball out or runs before taking the sack.  But he has the same old inaccurate bop gun he has had his whole NFL career.   I guess if you had Grad's experience with Jones arm, you might have a decent NFL backup, but right now both have huge limitations, and the Steelers are in HUGE trouble if either one of them take a meaningful snap
If that ball is thrown ahead of the reciever, the reciever would have been destroyed by a 3rd db 5 yards in front of him. Forced into double coverage with a 3rd waiting to drill the reciever. Young qb is crap for an excuse. He was a 3-4 year starter in a predominantly passing offense in college, he should know better by now. 3rd and 10 isn't an excuse for such a poor decision.

The fact he got pulled and Grad played more of the game should be tellling, too. The coaches were not happy.

He will not develop into a starter. That should be something close to happening by year 3 and i do not see that growth by next summer
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:04 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


Then maybe the coaches should look in the mirror because they gave very little help to be successful.   Hubbard and Adams were garbage.  Both were beat repeatedly while Jones was in the game. 
cboath88 wrote:
Cervantes2 wrote: Watching the replay as well

The interception as a bad read/ forced throw,  and a bit behind where it needed to be.  Happens with young players

The fumble was a Ben play.   Hold the ball, hold the ball, then take the sack.   he needs to get rid of the ball there

The 3rd down incomplettion wasn't well thrown,  but probably could have been caught.   Bad part is that is the type of throw that when you put behind the WR like that often ends up being a tipped ball and a pick. 

On the other hand.  yes the screen to Dri was perfectly executed and perfectly thrown. The pass to Bryant in the end zone was perfectly thrown and should have been a TD.  Do s mixed bag with some positives which is better than I had expected based on reading the board today.  he does look like he has an NFL arm

Grad  i guess was better by a tiny bit.  He does make quicker decisions, and dumps the ball out or runs before taking the sack.  But he has the same old inaccurate bop gun he has had his whole NFL career.   I guess if you had Grad's experience with Jones arm, you might have a decent NFL backup, but right now both have huge limitations, and the Steelers are in HUGE trouble if either one of them take a meaningful snap
If that ball is thrown ahead of the reciever, the reciever would have been destroyed by a 3rd db 5 yards in front of him. Forced into double coverage with a 3rd waiting to drill the reciever. Young qb is crap for an excuse. He was a 3-4 year starter in a predominantly passing offense in college, he should know better by now. 3rd and 10 isn't an excuse for such a poor decision.

The fact he got pulled and Grad played more of the game should be tellling, too. The coaches were not happy.

He will not develop into a starter. That should be something close to happening by year 3 and i do not see that growth by next summer
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:06 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


I think the problem is the expectations people have for the kid. A QB drafted in the 4th round is not someone you expect to turn into a solid starter. Usually QBs drafted that late turn out to be backups. Its very rare one becomes a solid starter.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:11 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


Jason White 2.0. 

No discernible physical traits. College stats and that's that. Awful body language on the field, not a leader, and should be in the CFL in about a year. I'm not going to litter the board with this sentiment, but yes, picking him in the fourth was indefensible.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:12 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


The issue I have is 1) Colbert underestimated the talent on the roster and using a 4th rounder on a developmental guy was stupid 2) Landry hasn't differentiated himself from a lot of udfa we could have grabbed

I'm not giving up on the dude but it's not encouraging.


---------------------------------------------
--- cornholiobeavis wrote:

I think the problem is the expectations people have for the kid. A QB drafted in the 4th round is not someone you expect to turn into a solid starter. Usually QBs drafted that late turn out to be backups. Its very rare one becomes a solid starter.

---------------------------------------------

Last edited 8/17/2014 3:35 PM by coalregionstiller

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:16 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 



cornholiobeavis wrote: I think the problem is the expectations people have for the kid. A QB drafted in the 4th round is not someone you expect to turn into a solid starter. Usually QBs drafted that late turn out to be backups. Its very rare one becomes a solid starter.
Exactly.

Hey, I didn't really like the pick but I'm guessing that they had around a second round grade on him and felt they had to pull the trigger.  Now there are many who will say he shouldn't have been ranked that high and from what we've seen so far, it's hard to disagree.

However, Bill Polian said that year that he had Jones ranked as the top QB in that draft.  Polian might be an d-bag sometimes but he's a damned solid personnel guy and 10 times out of 10 I'd take his thoughts on any NFL player over those of anyone on our board.

Having said that, I've been disappointed with what we've seen from him thus far and with regards to developing a backup QB it might be back to the drawing board after this year.  
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:21 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


nice to read real comments about the guy before it gets into the typical "ur an idiot for thinking that" menatality that dominates this board. Id be interested to see Landry with some real time with real players. To be honest should Ben go down in the year I would rather see Landry than Grad. With Grad you would just be hoping to limp through the season. he is a career backup and thats it. Landry should be given a starters chance before assuming that role. Ya just never know
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:28 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


Fans  that have a melt down because we used a 4th rd pick on him makes me chuckle. The chances of a 4th rd pick at any position making the teams is very low. The same people have a meltdown when a 4th rd pick QB doesn't perform like the franchise QB, again makes me chuckle. He hasn't had enough reps to develop into a backup, he's on the team to develop into a starter one day which may or may not happen. If he does happen fantastic, if he doesn't no big deal it was a 4th rd pick. If he was picked in the 2nd or 3rd round then people would have something to gripe about but griping about a 4th rd pick that has had very few reps with the second unit let alone the first, give me a break. The quality of the players around the QB dictate how his play will be, and he's had nothing but 3rd and 4th stringers around him for the last 2 years with the exception of this preseason game.
19th Special Forces Group
Company C, 2nd Battalion
Kenova, West Virginia

Last edited 8/17/2014 3:31 PM by Steelerfanincuse

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:29 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 



STEELRNJAX wrote: nice to read real comments about the guy before it gets into the typical "ur an idiot for thinking that" menatality that dominates this board. Id be interested to see Landry with some real time with real players. To be honest should Ben go down in the year I would rather see Landry than Grad. With Grad you would just be hoping to limp through the season. he is a career backup and thats it. Landry should be given a starters chance before assuming that role. Ya just never know

Landry's ceiling is a practice squad player - - he can only dream of having the career that Gradkowski has had.  He's awful and he's making it so you can't judge any of the other skill players out there.  At the moment, not only would I not put him on the 53 man roster, I wouldn't have him on the practice squad.  There will be better quarterback cuts out there.
Fire Commissioner Cover-up IMMEDIATELY!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:35 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 



Steelerfanincuse wrote: Fans  that have a melt down because we used a 4th rd pick on him makes me chuckle. The chances of a 4th rd pick at any position making the teams is very low. The same people have a meltdown when a 4th rd pick QB doesn't perform like the franchise QB, again makes me chuckle. He hasn't had enough reps to develop into a backup, he's on the team to develop into a starter one day which may or may not happen. If he does happen fantastic, if he doesn't no big deal it was a 4th rd pick. If he was picked in the 2nd or 3rd round then people would have something to gripe about but griping about a 4th rd pick that has had very few reps with the second unit let alone the first, give me a break. The quality of the players around the QB dictate how his play will be, and he's had nothing but 3rd and 4th stringers around him for the last 2 years with the exception of this preseason game.
I don't care about expectation for a fourth round pick. I'm saying that picking a player with his lack of physical skills, poor leadership, and other unsavory traits is indefensible. He should have gone undrafted. 

I know we shouldn't expect the world from a fourth rounder, but I expect much better than Landry Jones at any pick in any draft. He doesn't pass the eyeball test. He doesn't stand out in any way.  He's just....not good.

And he had the first-team OL in front of him for a drive or two. No more excuses.

Last edited 8/17/2014 3:37 PM by wardXplex

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:40 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


Listening to Charlie batch dogpile on Landry. Ouch
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:44 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 



coalregionstiller wrote: Listening to Charlie batch dogpile on Landry. Ouch
What's he saying?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:59 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


He pretty much said in practice he's clueless, holding ball too much, taking sacks in 7 on 7, showing no improvement. Has one throw where he thinks "not bad" then a few dumb throws after that.

Actually said he likes Kaye but had no idea what his name is.

Sounded like Landry had sex with Charlie's gf. He's not a fan.

---------------------------------------------
--- wardXplex wrote:


coalregionstiller wrote: Listening to Charlie batch dogpile on Landry. Ouch
What's he saying?

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2014 3:59 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


You might need glasses then. I was at the game, he was every bit as bad as everyone is saying. I watched his read progression, beyond slow. He stares down his primary target until time runs out. No footwook, doesn't set to throw. He had ample time in most situations. The pass Bryant dropped was 50/50 on each. Martavis was a step slow coming out of his break, and Landry put it at his right ear. He has shown no progress to date. Dennis Dixon was a more capable backup. Landry isn't an NFL caliber QB, it's a harsh truth.


---------------------------------------------
--- pghkev wrote:

So I didn't get to see the game live last night, but base on reports that I read, Landry was awful.  After watching the game with my own eyes today, I have a completely different opinion.  The interception was a bad throw no doubt, but it was on a 3rd and 10, not much help from Haley welcoming Landry into the game.  Run, Run Pass when a qb is entering the game cold seems like a recipe for failure.   Second legit series, Landry is running for his life.  Hubbard is getting beat cleanly almost every play.  Not sure how you fault Jones when he can't even set his feet in the pocket. 
On the big play by Archer, Hubbard gets destroyed and Cohen is almost untouched on Jones.  Landry made a great play to get the ball of quickly and accurately to Archer.   Red zone, Jones get good protection and throws a beauty of a touch pass to Bryant for the TD, and it would have been a TD if Bryant hadn't been held.  On the Sack fumble, Adams gets driven, and I mean driven into Jones on the right side. Hubbard gets beat once again by Cohen up the middle and the sack actually comes late on the backside.  Not sure how you fault Jones when he has pressure coming from each side.  Last drive I saw, we had a 3rd and 8 near mid field, Jones hits Bryant right in his hands for about a 12 yard gain and it's dropped by Bryant.  

Jones was awful??  Not from what I saw.



---------------------------------------------

Last edited 8/17/2014 4:05 PM by ewj23

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2014 4:01 PM

Re: The Truth regarding Landry Jones 


Great point re: his body language -- it's terrible.
wardXplex wrote: Jason White 2.0. 

No discernible physical traits. College stats and that's that. Awful body language on the field, not a leader, and should be in the CFL in about a year. I'm not going to litter the board with this sentiment, but yes, picking him in the fourth was indefensible.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 7  Next >