Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN?

Posted: 02/26/2014 7:33 AM

IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


GOOD MORNING RAIDER NATION!!!

It is being reported in multiple articles that the Raiders are very interested in Michael Vick.  Before we tackle the "what then" part of this thread, how do you all feel about a move like Vick?

I like the idea of grabbing a veteran, and if healthy, he might be our guy.  In my opinion if this is the case, we then decide on our first round pick based on two people gone by our pick.

If Clowney and Watkins are gone, we trade out of that spot for additional picks.  I think we can pick up another solid WR and top QB in the latter part of round 1, then come back and still have picks in the draft to set our future in order. 

I still believe we need to sign DE, CB and RB from free Agency. 

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7695/raidersig2.jpg

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/26/2014 11:18 AM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


I think first, the Raiders have to decide what they are doing. They have to figure out what kind of QB they want. Vick has proved over the years that he is a very talented player and also proved that he's not a great decision maker and relies on his talent rather than his brain to make plays. Also, there is a very good chance at his age considering his playing style and past, he won't be healthy for a full season so you need someone who can step up if/when that happens. Vick wants to be a starter in the league. I'm not sure what kind of attitude he'll have is someone beats him out for the job. All said, I support the idea of adding Vick to the line up.
Re: trading the pick. The Raiders will have to be quick on their feet in the negotiation dept. to get a QB and WR in the first round. Doubt they'll be able to pull off a 2 first round pick deal without forfeiting later round picks. I still say keep the pick and draft whoever is highest on your board. Scary I know considering the Raiders past 2 drafts, but you have to do that IMO.
Looking at the list of FA DE's I'm thinking the Raiders should sign 2 or three of them, re-sign Houston, draft Clowney and take them off their leashes. Reek havoc on opposing offenses. Also agree we should get a CB in FA. RB? Sure why not.


Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/26/2014 8:32 PM

RE: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


No Vick...he will not lead us to victory. Build the team.

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/26/2014 9:57 PM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


I think you hit the nail on the head Raw about deciding what they are doing and if they bring in Vick and resign McFadden I think its clear the beginning of the end for the whole regime is upon us. Vick won't last a whole season imo and to me it would make Reggie look desperate. I've giving Allen a lot of crap over the last two years but I often wonder if Reggie with his suspect drafts/signing really gave him a fighting chance....

---------------------------------------------
--- rawhead wrote:

I think first, the Raiders have to decide what they are doing. They have to figure out what kind of QB they want. Vick has proved over the years that he is a very talented player and also proved that he's not a great decision maker and relies on his talent rather than his brain to make plays. Also, there is a very good chance at his age considering his playing style and past, he won't be healthy for a full season so you need someone who can step up if/when that happens. Vick wants to be a starter in the league. I'm not sure what kind of attitude he'll have is someone beats him out for the job. All said, I support the idea of adding Vick to the line up.
Re: trading the pick. The Raiders will have to be quick on their feet in the negotiation dept. to get a QB and WR in the first round. Doubt they'll be able to pull off a 2 first round pick deal without forfeiting later round picks. I still say keep the pick and draft whoever is highest on your board. Scary I know considering the Raiders past 2 drafts, but you have to do that IMO.
Looking at the list of FA DE's I'm thinking the Raiders should sign 2 or three of them, re-sign Houston, draft Clowney and take them off their leashes. Reek havoc on opposing offenses. Also agree we should get a CB in FA. RB? Sure why not.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/26/2014 11:08 PM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 



RAIDER1975 wrote: I think you hit the nail on the head Raw about deciding what they are doing and if they bring in Vick and resign McFadden I think its clear the beginning of the end for the whole regime is upon us. Vick won't last a whole season imo and to me it would make Reggie look desperate. I've giving Allen a lot of crap over the last two years but I often wonder if Reggie with his suspect drafts/signing really gave him a fighting chance....


Re: McFadden - Allen did an interview on the Raiders FA's where he basically said that McFadden is a great talent but his injury past will dictate how much he is worth. Sounded like he thinks McFadden might not even get pick up in FA so resigning him near league minimum might not be a bad deal. He did say they have been working on trying to resign Veldheer, Houston and Jennings. First time I heard that. I'll believe it when I see it.
The direction I was talking about was on offense. Pryor is the only QB on the team that was here before Reggie so I'll leave him out. What Reggie brought in was Flynn, Wilson, McGloin, Edwards. Olson supposedly runs a WCO, but I rarely see it on the field. Flynn is probably the one who runs it best and look what happened. Add Vick into the mix and you have a bunch of guys with completely different talents. Do they want a guy like Cam Newton or R.Wilson? or do they want a QB like Manning or Brees? (ie: tall to short). Rumor has it that Mark Davis was very impressed with Manzeil at the combines. What would the Raiders coaches to do with him?  The reason I said I was OK with Vick is because he can teach the young'uns a lot.


Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/26/2014 11:49 PM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


Agree Raw. I was really impressed with Justin Gilbert ( sp ?) From the combine at corner. If Oakland stays at 5 I think we have to take Sammy but if they trade down Justin would be a good pick. It all depends on what we do in f.a obviously and I would start with Mack to fix the o-line. There are also reports that Steve Smith will be let go along with Ware from Dallas. Raw, im curious to your thoughts on both theses guys as in if they would fit in if the price is right of course.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/27/2014 6:13 AM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


FIRST OFF!  Even though I began this thread, I ABSOLUTELY do not want Vick.  Am I the only one in the world that lost Fantasy Football multiple years depending on Michael Vick?  lol...

That being said, I DO believe we need a veteran QB and if Clowney and Watkins are gone by 5, we drop out of that spot for multiple picks and still end up snagging Carr at QB and a top calibur WR..  The bottom line is, this draft is full of playmaker potential.  Other than Watkins and Clowney, I don't see the value at 5.. 

Manziel is not our guy.  I don't much like is "over the top" arrogance.  He reminds me of Cutler, who by the way is not, has not and never will be a team player.

I think our starting QB will come out of Free Agency.  Our team is too young for another rookie QB.  I like the Matt Schaub move.  And if what I am reading is accurate, Smith (WR) might end up available as well?  We just need some veteran presence on the offensive side of the ball and some veterans on the DL rushing Peyton from every angle. 

I don't see DMC signing a contract for league minimum.  And while he was my favorite Raider for the first two years, it is time for him to go.  There are WAAAAY to many options at this position for us, so why overpay for DMC and take chances again...

1) Jennings
2) Latavius Murry
3) Jeremy Stewart
4  Kory Sheets

That does not even count that we could easily snag:

Maurice Jones Drew
Ben Tate

I like the following FREE AGENTS

1)  Valdeer
2)  Houston
ONE OF THE 45 FREE AGENT VETERAN WR's
4)  Will Smith, Greg Hardy, Michael Bennett, Michael Johnson, Jared Allen... 
5)  Will Smith, Greg Hardy, Michael Bennett, Michael Johnson, Jared Allen...   2 DE's might be great to sign, which would keep our DL fresh the whole game..
6)  BJ Raji..

(If the DL has 4 beast on it, we will be a powerful defense overnight.)

7)  Brent Grimes, Verner, or Talib..  We need one of these guys for sure.


That is my dream team.  Take Valdeer and Houston out off the list and we are talking about 5 to 6 free agents signees.  We do have the money, so why not?

http://img842.imageshack.us/img842/7695/raidersig2.jpg

Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/27/2014 7:20 AM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


I don't think Reggie is interested in Mike Vick.  I think the media is just jumping to conclusions and bad ones at that.




heraldo12 wrote: hail for pauly who's got perfect in its predictions and i love the octopus more than my entire life
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/27/2014 9:28 AM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 



RAIDERS4EVR wrote:  Take Valdeer and Houston out off the list and we are talking about 5 to 6 free agents signees.  We do have the money, so why not?
Because Allen was quoted saying he and Reggie want to stick with their plan - to build a team through the draft - and that they may pick up only one of the bigger names in FA.


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/27/2014 6:34 PM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


This guy like TO is linked to this team every time either one is a free agent. Quite truthfully I have no idea why they link either of them to us as we never signed either. I think writers are bored and making shyt up as they go personally. That being said If we ever did sign his dumb arse I will be looking for a new team to route for. Just because someone served their time doesn't mean they're not a sick arsehole. Besides the fact he sucks and would do nothing to help the team.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/27/2014 11:25 PM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


That's because they are trouble makers and those types will always be linked to the Raiders in the media because of their reputation 40 years ago. Same people who having us take Manziel - because of his shinanigans. To Raider fans it makes for boring news.


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/28/2014 10:53 AM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 



rawhead wrote: That's because they are trouble makers and those types will always be linked to the Raiders in the media because of their reputation 40 years ago. Same people who having us take Manziel - because of his shinanigans. To Raider fans it makes for boring news.
This...

Just to put it out there.... How about Josh Freeman. Freemand, and Sanchez are the only two QBs i like. Sanchez i could see being a game manager, but Freeman in his 3 years under Olson was above average. Ether one of those guys are a step above what we have. 

Taken in account how we played this year.... if ether of these guys were on starting for us this past year... we could have been 8 and 8 easily if not better.... just my opinion.

 
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. "Albert Einstein"

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/28/2014 12:40 PM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


I always thought of Pryor as a better Freeman. I'm OK with Sanchez as long as he makes a public apology for sticking a wiener down his throat while playing the Raiders.


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/28/2014 2:13 PM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


Raji sucks. Fat Sims is better, rather just keep him. Raji is just a name, people think he's good because he's had some big moments in the spotlight for GB. The guy is no great shakes.

Gotta keep Veldheer and Lamarr. My first priority after that would be to sign Alex Mack. Pay what it takes, Mack is the best and safest free agent out there. C-Wood should be a big priority as well as he's still good and brings more than just a playmaker to the secondary with his veteran leadership.

I like the CBs (Davis, Verner). If Michael Johnson is less than 8 mil per he'd be worth a look. Hardy will be too expensive and too risky. Decker will likely be way overpriced as his numbers with Manning are inflated. This WR draft class is very deep. If Nicks were willing to sign in the 5 mil per range he'd be a good pick up. Injury prone yes, but he's sort of a Boldin type where he's just tough and damn good when healthy. Still young.

Lots of good guys out there, but gotta tread carefully in the free agent market. You can't pay 10+ mil per for guys who have been inconsistent throughout their careers. Hardy is a no go IMO, don't care how good he was last season.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/28/2014 2:19 PM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 




---------------------------------------------
--- SnBKain wrote:


rawhead wrote: That's because they are trouble makers and those types will always be linked to the Raiders in the media because of their reputation 40 years ago. Same people who having us take Manziel - because of his shinanigans. To Raider fans it makes for boring news.
This...

Just to put it out there.... How about Josh Freeman. Freemand, and Sanchez are the only two QBs i like. Sanchez i could see being a game manager, but Freeman in his 3 years under Olson was above average. Ether one of those guys are a step above what we have. 

Taken in account how we played this year.... if ether of these guys were on starting for us this past year... we could have been 8 and 8 easily if not better.... just my opinion.

---------------------------------------------

Are you serious? First off, Sanchez has always sucked. Secondly Josh Freeman was terrible last season. If you think either of these guys would've had DA's squad at 8-8 you are out of your mind.

I've heard some say they'll root for another team if the Raiders bring in Vick. I wouldn't, but if they brought in that bum Sanchez I'd seriously be rooting for us to go 0-16 so we could fire Reggie, DA, and draft Jameis Winston. Sanchez is a flat out joke of an NFL QB.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/28/2014 3:12 PM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 



SnBKain wrote:
rawhead wrote: That's because they are trouble makers and those types will always be linked to the Raiders in the media because of their reputation 40 years ago. Same people who having us take Manziel - because of his shinanigans. To Raider fans it makes for boring news.
This...

Just to put it out there.... How about Josh Freeman. Freemand, and Sanchez are the only two QBs i like. Sanchez i could see being a game manager, but Freeman in his 3 years under Olson was above average. Ether one of those guys are a step above what we have. 

Taken in account how we played this year.... if ether of these guys were on starting for us this past year... we could have been 8 and 8 easily if not better.... just my opinion.
I do not like Freeman, regardless of Olson's previous experience with him. He did the same things in Minnesota that he did in Tampa Bay. IE, being late for meetings and practice, not preparing, etc. He has a bad work ethic and we don't need a JBustass Jr.

Vick is known for having one really good season and then getting hurt. Be wary of any player who has said multiple times that he is looking forward to coming back and proving himself.

Sanchez is nothing more than a stop-gap or bridge QB. He did not have a very good OL in NY and also had a weak receiving corps. Well, that sounds like us. Maybe he could do something. But I really doubt he can take a team to the promised land.
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H.L. Mencken
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/28/2014 7:37 PM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 



BanditoB wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- SnBKain wrote:


rawhead wrote: That's because they are trouble makers and those types will always be linked to the Raiders in the media because of their reputation 40 years ago. Same people who having us take Manziel - because of his shinanigans. To Raider fans it makes for boring news.
This...

Just to put it out there.... How about Josh Freeman. Freemand, and Sanchez are the only two QBs i like. Sanchez i could see being a game manager, but Freeman in his 3 years under Olson was above average. Ether one of those guys are a step above what we have. 

Taken in account how we played this year.... if ether of these guys were on starting for us this past year... we could have been 8 and 8 easily if not better.... just my opinion.

---------------------------------------------

Are you serious? First off, Sanchez has always sucked. Secondly Josh Freeman was terrible last season. If you think either of these guys would've had DA's squad at 8-8 you are out of your mind.

I've heard some say they'll root for another team if the Raiders bring in Vick. I wouldn't, but if they brought in that bum Sanchez I'd seriously be rooting for us to go 0-16 so we could fire Reggie, DA, and draft Jameis Winston. Sanchez is a flat out joke of an NFL QB.
Well yes its an opinion. None of us have a crystal ball, but the fact that Sanchez and Freeman have had some success in the league as full time starters (2011 for Sanchez) (11, and 12 for Freeman) them head and shoulders above the undrafted Mcgloin and Pryor. 

I never referred to them as would be franchise quarterbacks... only something to go with over Pryor and Mcgloin since there is no clear cut Franchise qb in this years draft. 

Simply saying they sucked, or where terrible doesn't validate your argument... Are you saying there are better QBs to pick up.... or are you saying what we have is ok, because i completely disagree on both parts. Vick isn't any better... Shaub? Vick lost his job to the future... Shaub lost out to someone that may, or may not even be in the Taxens plans.

 
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. "Albert Einstein"

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/28/2014 10:06 PM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


2011? Sanchez completed 55% of his passes and averaged just over 200 yards passing per game, yet still managed to throw 18 INTs. Passer rating in the 70's. And you're calling that success?

I don't need a crystal ball to tell you Sanchez is a bum. He's proven that already.

I don't even really like the idea of bringing in Schaub or Vick, but at least these guys have been league average or better before. He'll, Vick almost won MVP in 2011. He had a couple big games last year before he lost his job to a bright young pro bowler in Foles.

The Sanchez idea is just terrible. You're not the only Raiders fan I've heard say it, really hope y'all ain't tapping into Reggie's brainwaves or something lol. Keep those sick thoughts to yourself.

Last edited 02/28/2014 10:09 PM by BanditoB

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 02/28/2014 10:56 PM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


Yeah.... i see your point. your more suited for the Sanchez sucks argument. You clearly have a good hold on the whole Sanchez no good. 

Honestly i don't get what your argument is here.  Are you saying go after Vick? his MVP season was 2011? he threw for 59 percent 4 points more then Sanchez. He was 18/14 in the TD/Int. while Mark was 26/18. I really don't know where your going with this. 

By all means offer up a better option then Vick if your going to imply my opinion is laughable, because to me Vick is laughable he would be dead week one behind our line. 



I guess you just don't like Sanchez and ill accept, but i think Sanchez could be a decent add to this team as maybe a stop-gap to backup guy... in ether position he is better then what we have.

 
Great spirits have always encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds. "Albert Einstein"

Last edited 02/28/2014 11:08 PM by SnBKain

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 03/01/2014 10:03 AM

Re: IS VICK OUR GUY? AND WHAT THEN? 


If you have to and I mean absolutely HAVE TO pick up a FA QB, then take Vick, the one-year wonder. I do not want to clean up a mess that the bum Freeman would leave. None of these QB is any long-term answer. At best, they are sacrificial lambs we play while developing a replacement. By the way, Vick has a 56.2% completion rate for his career with an overall rating of 80.9. I'd just as soon stay with McGloin rather than take any of the FA QBs on the market.
"The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety) by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary." H.L. Mencken
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >