Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Should Darren McFadden be traded?

Avatar

Posted: 03/22/2013 5:45 AM

Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


There has been some speculation the Oakland Raiders would be interested in trading running back Darren McFadden if the price is right. 

On one hand, it is understandable. The Raiders are rebuilding and they need more draft picks. They do not have a second or fifth-round pick. McFadden is in the final year of his contract and he is often injured. 

However, McFadden is one of the better players on the roster and the backfield is dangerously thin. Because of an expiring contract, the lack of value of veteran running backs, and his injury history, I don’t think the Raiders could get a premium pick. I think a mid-round pick is the best they could do. 

Would it be worth getting rid of one the Raiders’ best player for a mid-round pick? I understand the team has to rebuild, but it also has to compete. 

Oakland general manager Reggie McKenzie has been quoted as saying he would like to pursue a long-term deal for McFadden this summer. So, the team clearly likes McFadden. 

Coach Dennis Allen said this week that the fact that McFadden is going back to a system in which he excelled in will help him. 

“(McFadden’s) most effective years have been in a downhill, power scheme,” Allen said this week at the NFL owners meetings “That's why Greg Olson and Tony Sparano are here." 

Unless a trade partner overwhelms the Raiders, I doubt he will be dealt. And I doubt they will get an overwhelming offer.

LINK



Photobucket

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 03/22/2013 8:07 AM

Re: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


All players are available for the right price and Darren is no different . Now that question is what is the right price for Reggie is the true question to ask ?

What is he seeking in return for an oft-injured half-season player that has shown abilities of when healthy can be a League star ?

Last year of his contract so does this drop him down some in his demands of picks ? 

Would he be okay to part ways with Darren say a 3rd round pick this season and a conditional pick next year that could be a 1st or 2nd rd pick depending on his staying healthy or meeting a certain goal for his new team IE: 1,000 yards , 15 TD , play all 16 games ?

I myself would settle on taking a 4th rd pick this season a conditional next year of a 2nd or 3rd pick for himself barring his play for this season of coarse . Now hinges that he likely would be asked to re-sign for at least an additional 2 year deal so that the team has him for more then a 1 year rental and can see if he will be a good investment for them or not too .
In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way. Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 03/22/2013 10:09 AM

Re: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


Maybe a 4th round draft pick if we are lucky I would keep him unless it is a very good offer we are thin in RB's since Taiwan Jones is moving to CB.



Photobucket

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 03/22/2013 3:25 PM

RE: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


As much as I like DMC his market value is a 3rd rounder or less. I dont know if he would be worth trading for that pick. With the power blocking scheme coming back and his contract year I would think this would be a big year for him. Provided he can stay healthy he will be the running threat that the offense will need wether the QB is Pryor or Palmer. I think we will be seeing Pryor out there as the starter so we need a weapon like McFadden in the back field or Pryor is going to get killed out there.

Raider fan for life.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 03/22/2013 4:26 PM

Re: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


The sad facts are, our receivers are still under-performing, our O-line is suspect and we let our best option/slot receiver/TE Myers go to free agency. You'll see an over use and reliance on DMac which translates to him being injured and out of commission after 9 or 10 games. Trade him now for picks while he has any value and make it a clean sweep of the overpaid, under-performers. We are at best a 5 win team with or without him next season any way.

The Autumn Wind Is A Raider.... Pillaging Just For Fun ....         

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 03/22/2013 6:33 PM

Re: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


Our offense this season should cater more DMC's strengths I think he will produce in the top 5 barring injuries.



Photobucket

Reply | Quote

Posted: 03/22/2013 7:56 PM

Re: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 



nascarford0688 wrote:
Would he be okay to part ways with Darren say a 3rd round pick this season and a conditional pick next year that could be a 1st or 2nd rd pick depending on his staying healthy or meeting a certain goal for his new team IE: 1,000 yards , 15 TD , play all 16 games ?

I myself would settle on taking a 4th rd pick this season a conditional next year of a 2nd or 3rd pick for himself barring his play for this season of coarse . Now hinges that he likely would be asked to re-sign for at least an additional 2 year deal so that the team has him for more then a 1 year rental and can see if he will be a good investment for them or not too .
I wouldn't put any conditional picks on playing 16 games. Say a team has playoff seeding locked up, or is already eliminated, I could see them listing a phantom injury to keep the pick lower. Yardage or % of snaps works for me. What about 2500 yards rushing and receiving, or 50% of the snaps in the next two years, so that if he's hurt or leaves in FA they can send us a lower pick in the 2015 draft?

I've always felt that he's worth more to us than what teams will give us. And if they won't offer high picks, they won't offer a huge FA contract either, so we have a good chance of keeping him at a reasonable price. I think he stays, and I don't think it's a bad thing.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 03/22/2013 8:13 PM

Re: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 



BOUTY wrote: The sad facts are, our receivers are still under-performing, our O-line is suspect and we let our best option/slot receiver/TE Myers go to free agency.
I have faith in the OL. We all knew the ZBS wouldn't work even before the first preseason game. We decided to fix what wasn't broken, and it decimated our running game.

In pass protection, they were 5th in total sacks and 4th in QB hits on the 5th most pass attempts. The line gave up half the sacks and hits as the league worst. They were 6th in sack % at 4.1%, roughly one sack in every 25 pass attempts, and 2% better than the league average. The numbers were solid in 2011 and actually got better considering the number of pass attempts. It's easy to look at the 4-12 record and just say everyone sucks, but the OL was actually a bright spot and has been for a couple years now. Assuming health, I expect a big year for them next year as we return to what worked in the run game.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 03/22/2013 8:33 PM

Re: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 



golaclips wrote:
nascarford0688 wrote:
Would he be okay to part ways with Darren say a 3rd round pick this season and a conditional pick next year that could be a 1st or 2nd rd pick depending on his staying healthy or meeting a certain goal for his new team IE: 1,000 yards , 15 TD , play all 16 games ?

I myself would settle on taking a 4th rd pick this season a conditional next year of a 2nd or 3rd pick for himself barring his play for this season of coarse . Now hinges that he likely would be asked to re-sign for at least an additional 2 year deal so that the team has him for more then a 1 year rental and can see if he will be a good investment for them or not too .
I wouldn't put any conditional picks on playing 16 games. Say a team has playoff seeding locked up, or is already eliminated, I could see them listing a phantom injury to keep the pick lower. Yardage or % of snaps works for me. What about 2500 yards rushing and receiving, or 50% of the snaps in the next two years, so that if he's hurt or leaves in FA they can send us a lower pick in the 2015 draft?

I've always felt that he's worth more to us than what teams will give us. And if they won't offer high picks, they won't offer a huge FA contract either, so we have a good chance of keeping him at a reasonable price. I think he stays, and I don't think it's a bad thing.
Owners do this all the time with players on clauses to for earnings . Hell we did it back in in the Gruden days I heard from one of the former players on the local radio up here was talking about didn't say the name of the player but he was a starter and had a clause that was going to give him an additional amount of money with playing so many snaps in the last two games and the team put him on the bench with no real cause for it to avoid paying him .


Now the condition for Darren is playing a full season that isn't a bad deal as either it boost it up to a higher pick of a say 2nd rd pick or worse yet we get only a 3rd pick for him . either way we get a solid draft pick for a oft-injured player .
In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way. Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply | Quote

Posted: 03/23/2013 12:34 AM

Re: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


Yes.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 03/23/2013 7:18 AM

Re: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


we should keep dmac this season due to his overall salary being reasonable

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 03/23/2013 8:46 AM

Re: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


Well we were gauging interest in both Carson and Darren at the League meetings and

Arizona was evidently into giving up a 4th rd pick for Carson .

But haven't heard yet anything on what Darren is interests were though from this feeling out process from GM's to see what their players might be worth around the league .
In politics, nothing happens by accident. If it happens, you can bet it was planned that way. Franklin D. Roosevelt
Reply | Quote

Posted: 03/23/2013 8:57 AM

Re: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


I agree with Nascar.....for the right offer....anybody is available. I would like to see him stick with us though. We NEED that homerun hitter in the back field. When I watch him against the Colts in Indy this year....I visualise him taking 2 to the house. Priceless!!!! lets keep him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 03/23/2013 3:25 PM

Re: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


McFadden knows that this is the last year of his contract and so do the Raiders, neither one of them know that they are not going to get much in a trade. The best thing for them both is for McFadden to come back and be a top 5 RB in the League this 2013 season and if he can stay healthy and have a 1500 yard season then see what happens.

TRADE McFadden would be crazy
Reply | Quote

Posted: 03/23/2013 9:25 PM

RE: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


I hope they work AZ up to a 3rd for CP and hand the ball off to TP for the year. It would save us a bunch of money. We can find out if TP is for real and move on next year if not. As for McFad I think you guys are way too down on him and changing schemes this year will make a difference for him.

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 03/24/2013 4:57 AM

RE: Should Darren McFadden be traded? 


Nobody is saying he's unworthy of his roster spot. So really I think it comes down to sell him at probably his lowest value in his career, or keep him and risk losing him for nothing next year. Neither option looks great.
Reply | Quote