Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Faith in the Raider Regime- my opinion of things to do in 2013

Posted: 01/27/2013 9:18 AM

Faith in the Raider Regime- my opinion of things to do in 2013 


I know I'm probably in the minority, but I have complete faith in Mark Davis, Amy Trask, Reggie McKenzie, and Dennis Allen to lead us back to being a consistent winner. I believe a new, state of the art stadium will get built in Oakland and keep the Raiders where they along for years to come. It all starts, to be honest, with this draft. The 4-12 2012 finish doesn't bother me one bit, RM and DA weren't playing with a full deck of cards. This 2013 draft will be the beginning cornerstone for our franchise. We have some solid pieces on this roster already, and contrary to most people's beliefs, I don't feel we need a complete overhaul.
             With this being said, here are a few things I would look for the Raider organization to do prior to/ including the draft for 2013. Some of my ideas will not be well received, but

1. trade Terrelle Pryor to the Philadelphia Eagles for a 2013 3rd rd pick.
       I love Pryor, and he's said and done all the right things while wearing the Silver and Black these past 2 seasons. Chip Kelly is well known to be in love with TP's skill sets, and the Eagles need a starting QB. to them, he will be inexpensive in salary and will give Chip a guy he can work with. To us, it will be a valuable, high additional 3rd rd pick for a QB that will be our backup To be honest, I don't believe he will be a championship caliber QB in the NFL. He will have some success, will be exciting to watch, and will win some games. However, I do not see him being a consistent winner to get us to a championship. This running QB and pistol formation is going to be a fad. Defensive Coordinators in the NFL are too smart, and defenses are too fast in the NFL to not figure it out. This league is predicated on a consistent, successful running game, with a QB that can make all the throws and only run if they have to. I feel with a better D and consistent running game, we can win with Carson Palmer. However, I also do not believe he is the QB that leads us back to the Super Bowl.

2. Extend Darren McFadden's contract (4 yr/$28 million/ 2014-2017, $18mil. guaranteed)
       This is something else that people will read and think "what the heck is wrong with this guy?" Now is the time to extend McFadden for a fair contract. He isn't a top 8 RB in the NFL, therefore will not be paid as such. What he is is a dynamic force in the backfield with top end speed. He has everything you want in a multi-dimensional RB, a player that should garner 18-20 touches a games running and receiving. He needs a powerful compliment in the backfield to conserve his energy. This compliment will be found as a rookie FA or somewhere in rounds 4-7 in the draft, someone that is inexpensive and effective.

3. Trade the #3 overall pick in the 2013 to the Buffalo Bills for the # 8 pick, # 41 pick (2nd rd), and #100 pick (4th rd).
     According to the draft calculator, this actually works to the benefit of the Bills (2100- 1982 in worth). This is a win- win for these organizations. Buffalo needs to make a splash, and they'll want a QB . It is inevitable that someone at the QB position will wow. There is a strong possibility that either KC or Jacksonville will pick a QB at 1-2, and I don't believe Geno Smith will be that guy which will force the hand of the Bills to jump ahead of the Cardinals to get the 2nd QB in the draft. I see Buffalo falling in love with Geno Smith, which could make this trade happen fast.

4. Re-sign Wheeler and Bryant, restructure Kelly and DHB. I'd like us to try and keep Brandon Myers if at all possible, but he's not a top end TE in this league, so if a mid-level TE contract keeps him, i'm all for it. Otherwise, we move on. Seymour and Lechler are as good as gone, which I'm ok with. signing Wheeler will keep some continuity at LB with him and Burris. Bryant is extremely valuable in my opinion and is the #1 one self FA re-signing that we need to do.

I'll post later about outside FA signing's and the 2013 NFL draft.


LONG LIVE RAIDER FOOTBALL
Reply | Quote

Posted: 01/28/2013 1:57 AM

RE: Faith in the Raider Regime- my opinion of things to do in 20 


Nice Post. I'm not as optimistic in the front office doing everything they claim, only because the claims have been the same for a decade now. Change the culture. Bring disciplined, tough play. Win. It just hasn't happened. I think we're headed in the right direction, but we still have a long way to go.

1. I'd seriously consider trading Pryor if we could get a 3rd too. We just can't surround him with the talent that Kaepernick, Wilson, or RG3 have on their teams. Not this year at least. If he looks like a guy who can lead the offense and make all the throws we should keep him as a franchise QB down the road, but I'm not convinced of that. He has accuracy issues, I want to see a little more game tape but unless he plays more we can probably get more for him this offseason than by waiting.

2. I agree that extending McFadden should happen. Some say we should trade him, but there's no way we'll get anything as good back. He's worth more to us than any draft pick we'd get coming off a disappointing season and another injury. I've said elsewhere I'd like Jackie Battle as a low-cost load of a RB, but really anyone would be fine. Goodson and Jones' skill sets are too similar to McFadden, but not as good.

3. A Buffalo trade sounds reasonable for us, but I don't think they trade up in a QB weak draft. Their GM apparently said he would, but their is a lot of bluffing going on before the draft. They still owe Fitzpatrick a lot of money, can they just cut him? If they do, I like the trade because I'm not confident in most of the top prospects becoming HOF type players. That's what I think a top 3 pick should be, not just a servicable guy. From what I've read Moore and Joeckel seem like the best prospects IMO, and we could use a pass rusher like Moore. But if he's not a Strahan-type player I'd just as soon trade to #8-12, take the best CB prospect in the draft or a DT like Hankins, and get a few more picks. I think we need the most help on the defense, so that's where I'd spend most of our picks.

4. I'd let Kelly go, he's overpaid and underproducing. Wheeler and Bryant are keepers who shouldn't break the bank. I wouldn't target any big FA. We can roll over salary cap space indefinitely, so why use it all up when we're probably going to stink again? Save it for when we are contenders and need to sign a difference maker.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 01/28/2013 9:49 AM

RE: Faith in the Raider Regime- my opinion of things to do in 20 


If they trade Pryor then we better be prepared for taking a QB with a top 3 pick in next year's draft.

Not that Pryor is going to lead this team to greatness, but Palmer is going downhill and will probably net about 4 wins again this coming year.  Palmer CAN'T lead this team to wins that is the problem.
So Oakland will HAVE to address the QB position with a TOP PICK and by trading Pryor you are gaining a 3rd RD pick but giving up your #1 overall pick in the next draft to pick a QB.

There are no RG3 or Luck's in next year's draft either.

Logan Thomas, Aaron Murray, Tahj Boyd, AJ McCaron, Derek Carr??  Who in that list is better than Pryor?

The QBs in the next draft are not that enticing either and Oakland eventually needs to move on from Palmer.  Do they do it now and see what PRyor offers?  Give him this year to develop?  Palmer is not taking this team ANYWHERE.

They will have to draft a QB eventually if they do not try Pryor.  When?  Next year?  Two years from now? 

Palmer offers nothing but setting this team back another year of growth by playing.

If this team was a playoff contender sure play Palmer let him ride off into the sunset as a 34-35 year old QB in his final years after 4 surgeries.  But do not think we can squeeze 3 more years out of him THEN rebuild around a rookie QB....

Never argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
IGNORE LIST naplesbuckeye2002

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 01/28/2013 7:15 PM

Re: Faith in the Raider Regime- my opinion of things to do in 


I think Geno Smith might be the best out of all of them but that is not saying much in this class..



Photobucket

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 01/28/2013 11:39 PM

RE: Faith in the Raider Regime- my opinion of things to do in 20 



Ibetonart wrote:
Palmer offers nothing but setting this team back another year of growth by playing.


Word.

I also think trading Pryor to the Eagles for a 3rd round pick would not only be a bad move, but it would be a move that sets the Raiders front office up to look like idiots. Chip Kelly is an offensive genius, a great coach, and that would put Pryor is a terrific position to succeed...teaming up with guys like Shady and Desean under a spread/read option guru? Dangerous comes to mind. That's a trade that could haunt us for years.

It's a bad move because you're unlikely to find a better QB prospect in the 3rd round than Pryor in this years draft, and QB for the future is still a need. Pryor has shown a nice set of intangibles and physical tools, he's young, and has a very high upside. Palmer and his fat contract should be out the door, and Pryor should be given a real evaluation next season, as the full time starter with the offense tailored around his abilities. The money we would clear up by dropping Palmer and Kelly alone would be enough to make a run at some nice free agents.

Worst case scenario, andone I see as highly unlikely...this team performs even worse with Pryor than they did with Palmer, and are atop the draft again next year. Teddy Bridgewater will likely be a top-3 pick, and not many guys return to school when they are slated to get drafted that high. He's probably the best QB prospect in college football, in the same category as Luck/RG3, simply has all the makings of an elite NFL QB. There's definitely no prospect in this draft nearly as good as Bridgewater.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 01/29/2013 6:27 AM

RE: Faith in the Raider Regime- my opinion of things to do in 20 


I would say Bridgewater is the best too but I do not think he is Luck or RG3 good. 
I like Teddy but he dominated a REALLY REALLY weak schedule, but played great against Florida.

I have to see one more year to judge if he is top 3. 

He has had one great year his freshman year was ok but he was only a freshman.  Threw too many INTs that year.

Still like him better than the rest though.

Murray from Georgia will probably get all the hype, SEC, has three years of HIGH production but I am not sold on him but I am sure the "experts" McShay and them will love him since he is SEC and all but he is SMALL.

Never argue with an idiot, people watching may not be able to tell the difference.
IGNORE LIST naplesbuckeye2002

Reply | Quote

Posted: 02/28/2013 3:11 PM

Re: Faith in the Raider Regime- my opinion of things to do in 



AssassinSB84 wrote: I know I'm probably in the minority, but I have complete faith in Mark Davis, Amy Trask, Reggie McKenzie, and Dennis Allen to lead us back to being a consistent winner. I believe a new, state of the art stadium will get built in Oakland and keep the Raiders where they along for years to come. It all starts, to be honest, with this draft. The 4-12 2012 finish doesn't bother me one bit, RM and DA weren't playing with a full deck of cards. This 2013 draft will be the beginning cornerstone for our franchise. We have some solid pieces on this roster already, and contrary to most people's beliefs, I don't feel we need a complete overhaul.
             With this being said, here are a few things I would look for the Raider organization to do prior to/ including the draft for 2013. Some of my ideas will not be well received, but

1. trade Terrelle Pryor to the Philadelphia Eagles for a 2013 3rd rd pick.
       I love Pryor, and he's said and done all the right things while wearing the Silver and Black these past 2 seasons. Chip Kelly is well known to be in love with TP's skill sets, and the Eagles need a starting QB. to them, he will be inexpensive in salary and will give Chip a guy he can work with. To us, it will be a valuable, high additional 3rd rd pick for a QB that will be our backup To be honest, I don't believe he will be a championship caliber QB in the NFL. He will have some success, will be exciting to watch, and will win some games. However, I do not see him being a consistent winner to get us to a championship. This running QB and pistol formation is going to be a fad. Defensive Coordinators in the NFL are too smart, and defenses are too fast in the NFL to not figure it out. This league is predicated on a consistent, successful running game, with a QB that can make all the throws and only run if they have to. I feel with a better D and consistent running game, we can win with Carson Palmer. However, I also do not believe he is the QB that leads us back to the Super Bowl.

2. Extend Darren McFadden's contract (4 yr/$28 million/ 2014-2017, $18mil. guaranteed)
       This is something else that people will read and think "what the heck is wrong with this guy?" Now is the time to extend McFadden for a fair contract. He isn't a top 8 RB in the NFL, therefore will not be paid as such. What he is is a dynamic force in the backfield with top end speed. He has everything you want in a multi-dimensional RB, a player that should garner 18-20 touches a games running and receiving. He needs a powerful compliment in the backfield to conserve his energy. This compliment will be found as a rookie FA or somewhere in rounds 4-7 in the draft, someone that is inexpensive and effective.

3. Trade the #3 overall pick in the 2013 to the Buffalo Bills for the # 8 pick, # 41 pick (2nd rd), and #100 pick (4th rd).
     According to the draft calculator, this actually works to the benefit of the Bills (2100- 1982 in worth). This is a win- win for these organizations. Buffalo needs to make a splash, and they'll want a QB . It is inevitable that someone at the QB position will wow. There is a strong possibility that either KC or Jacksonville will pick a QB at 1-2, and I don't believe Geno Smith will be that guy which will force the hand of the Bills to jump ahead of the Cardinals to get the 2nd QB in the draft. I see Buffalo falling in love with Geno Smith, which could make this trade happen fast.

4. Re-sign Wheeler and Bryant, restructure Kelly and DHB. I'd like us to try and keep Brandon Myers if at all possible, but he's not a top end TE in this league, so if a mid-level TE contract keeps him, i'm all for it. Otherwise, we move on. Seymour and Lechler are as good as gone, which I'm ok with. signing Wheeler will keep some continuity at LB with him and Burris. Bryant is extremely valuable in my opinion and is the #1 one self FA re-signing that we need to do.

I'll post later about outside FA signing's and the 2013 NFL draft.


LONG LIVE RAIDER FOOTBALL
The more I thought about it, I'd like to hang onto prior, so I'll take that option off the board. I would make 2 trades in the draft to stockpile picks, where we would end up with this setup. I'm also going to assume that we will be awarded a compensatory 4th round pick. This would be a dream scenario, and how we could get to it. This would give us 10 picks to work with in a deep draft.

Round   Pick # Original
1   12th   Dolphins Pick
2   41st   Bills Pick
3   66th    Raiders
3   77th   Dolphins Pick
4 Raiders
4 Bills Pick
4 Compensatory Pick
5 Dolphins Pick
6 Raiders
7 Raiders
7 Carolina Pick
*Trade 3rd overall to Buffalo for 8th pick, 41st pick, and 4th rd pick

*Trade 8th overall to Miami for 12th pick, 77th pick, and 5th rd pick

* Compensatory pick awarded at end of 4th rd


Long Live Raider Football
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 03/01/2013 4:23 PM

Re: Faith in the Raider Regime- my opinion of things to do in 


That would be nice trading down like that for more picks now we only need a team or teams to make this happen..



Photobucket

Reply | Quote

Posted: 03/02/2013 4:24 AM

Re: Faith in the Raider Regime- my opinion of things to do in 



IERaiderFan wrote: That would be nice trading down like that for more picks now we only need a team or teams to make this happen..
There's a video on NFL.com that says if the first two picks are LT, then SD and Arizona could be interested in trading up for the last elite OT in Lane Johnson. They both have huge needs there. They also mentioned another team might want to trade up for the best CB in Milliner.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 03/02/2013 9:33 AM

Re: Faith in the Raider Regime- Hypothetical Mock- Attempt 1 


The more I'm reading, a possible trade down with Detroit could be possible. We could pick up their 2nd rd pick in the process, and if we decide to hang onto the 5th pick, this is an idea of how our draft could look like...

Round 1 (pick 5)- Bjeorn Werner or Shariff Floyd/ DL/ Florida State/Florida
Round 2 (pick 36)- David Amerson                   / DB/ N.C. State
Round 3 (pick 66)- Jon Bostic                         / ILB/ Florida
Round 4             - Kwame Geathers                / DT/ Georgia
Round 4 (comp)  - Kyle Juszczyk                    / FB/ Harvard
Round 6            - Garrett Gilkey                    / OL/ Chadron State
Round 7           - Marc Anthony                    / DB/ California
Round 7 (Carolina)- Dayne Crist                    / QB/ Kansas

A few observations

As you can see, I believe we need an infusion of talent of the defensive side of the ball. A slight trade down will give us that extra 2nd rd pick, where I feel we find an above average starting CB in Amerson. he's a tall, solid corner who makes plays on the ball. Werner or Floyd in the 1st round will give us that impact player we could use on the DL. I see Werner as a more pressing need, as I feel DA and Tarver will find multiple ways to use him rushing the passer. I also feel his enthusiasm and motor will bring a little extra to our front 7.
    Re-signing Wheeler and Bryant to fair deals would be ideal, and I'd like to bring back Shaughnessy as well. From what I read and a little of what I saw, I think Bostic may be a diamond in the rough as a starting ILB from day 1. Geathers is a big bodied, powerful guy that I could see and the run stuffing NT we've been missing. Geathers and Bostic would instantly improve our up the middle run D. I feel with one trade, we can get 4 starters/ situational impact players for our defense for 2013 and beyond.

I think a change in philosophy in Offense will be the greatest addition we need. I feel we have a solid group of core talent. Veldheer, Wiz, and Bergstrom will be penciled in as starters on the OL. I actually think a switch back to a power scheme gives us good reason to bring back Khalif Barnes as our starting RT. I think Gilkey from Chadron State is a nice prospect, and potential starter at LG in year 2 or 3. I'm not sure if he could start right away, so I'd consider visiting FA for a 2nd tier OG. I believe Carlisle will be allowed to walk and Brisiel will be released. A FA such as Doug Legursky (Pitt) or Chad Rinehart (Buff) may be a solid addition as an average starter that we can afford.
           With going back to a power scheme, I feel we should be running behind a traditional, blue collar FB. Kyle Juszczyk is in my opinion the best FB available to fit this mold. I wouldn't even mind us overdrafting to get this guy. Marcel needs to be moved around the field more, and may be the complement to DMac that we need. I might actually think that Juszczyk might be the player I covet most in this draft.
          With Dayne Crist, its essentially a no risk/ possible backup QB reward. He isn't particularly great at anything, but I believe he has untapped potential, and with the right guidance may become a decent backup QB. If he became a solid backup QB as a 7th round pick, I'd be pretty excited.


Long Live Raider Football!




Reply | Quote

Posted: 03/04/2013 1:37 AM

RE: Faith in the Raider Regime- my opinion of things to do in 20 


Question: Lamarr Houston was a DT in college, and if I remember right it was Hue that decided he would play at DE, not Reggie or DA. With Seymour, Kelly, and possibly Bryant gone, could we have a solid replacement at DT already in the starting rotation? He slides over, a pick like Werner could take his spot as the starter, then we re-sign Shaughnessy on the other side and Carter for depth.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 03/04/2013 6:00 AM

I PMed you the link to the new board, golaclips! 


I figured you would show up but it's not like you can't post here also. I know I haven't cut the cord. It would be an insult. I think some of this mass bailing could have been staved off if we would have had some mods that would control arseholes like the unmentionable.
Reply | Quote