Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

THROWBACK UNIFORMS

Posted: 8/25/2014 10:22 AM

THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


Is there any JETS fans with a desire to bring back the uniform from the 90's? That uniform with the dark green helmet with the black facemask and black trim around the numbers was the best looking uniform. And the green pants were nice too. I wish the JETS would bring back this uniform design.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 10:26 AM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


I still like the Titans of New York unis.

Later
"You spend a good part of your life gripping the baseball, and in the end it turns out it was the other way around all the time." Jim Bouton
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 10:31 AM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


Does anyone still have their Joe must Go signs? bangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadflushedflushedflushedflushedbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadflushedflushedflushedflushedflushedflushedflushedflushedflushedbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadflushedbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadflushedflushedflushedbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbangheadbanghead
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 12:12 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


The Joe Must Go signs are from the 80's, i wonder if Fireman Ed is still fired up about his team???
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/25/2014 12:17 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


the only look I liked besides the current one was 77-82'(or so) when the green helmets first debuted with white facemasks and large JETS on helmet....and the darker kelly green unis. As time moved forward they kept lightening the green and screwing with the helmet. The only good thing about the unis in the 90's was when Parcells brought back the classic look in 98'
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 1:58 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 



I led those chants from my section for years....

Give me a G
Give me a O

Joe must Go.

Thanks for the flashback
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 2:07 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


I love the green helmets. I became a Jets fan as a young'n when they were wearing those. I hope they will have at least a couple throwback days where they will wear those again sometime soon.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 9:44 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


You got my vote. I've always wanted the Jets to go back to those uniforms. Or better yet, incorporate the color black in these current uniforms and where those 90's uniforms at least twice a year. They can also where the Titans uniforms ofcourse but I definitely want them to permanently go back to the 90's uniforms or add black to these uniforms. Doesn't appear they will though.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/25/2014 9:45 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


I actually liked the addition of the black trim to the uniform. It was a step in the right direction.

But I like these unis better.

Reply | Quote
  • JETRepulsion
  • Veteran
  • Rating: 3.0/5 this site
  • 1347 posts this site

Posted: 8/26/2014 2:30 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


The Jets should wear the early 80s Jets uniforms a few times a season and throw away those ugly ass Titans uniforms that NO ONE remembers. Woody must need to sell a bunch of those ugly ass jerseys to make up for the lack of season tickets they are selling. tongue

I actually think it is time for the Jets to really update and change their uniforms. Having a fighter jet on the side or something really new and unique. Who do they think they are with these older uniforms? They think they are the GB Packers or Steelers with some great history? They are delusional. Update them to something innovative and cutting edge.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 2:33 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 



JETRepulsion wrote: The Jets should wear the early 80s Jets uniforms a few times a season and throw away those ugly ass Titans uniforms that NO ONE remembers. Woody must need to sell a bunch of those ugly ass jerseys to make up for the lack of season tickets they are selling. tongue

I actually think it is time for the Jets to really update and change their uniforms. Having a fighter jet on the side or something really new and unique. Who do they think they are with these older uniforms? They think they are the GB Packers or Steelers with some great history? They are delusional. Update them to something innovative and cutting edge.
And you "root" for this franchise you seem to detest so much?

Like it or not, the uniforms they wear today are iconic of the game that changed the entire face of pro football in the country. So, yes, despite the "woe-is-us" mentality of the Jets always sucking, there is some history there, some positive history.

Reply | Quote
  • JETRepulsion
  • Veteran
  • Rating: 3.0/5 this site
  • 1347 posts this site

Posted: 8/26/2014 2:37 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 



SackExchange wrote:
 
And you "root" for this franchise you seem to detest so much?

Like it or not, the uniforms they wear today are iconic of the game that changed the entire face of pro football in the country. So, yes, despite the "woe-is-us" mentality of the Jets always sucking, there is some history there, some positive history.
The Jets and I have a love / hate relationship. I'm sure there are A LOT of people out there who know how I feel. I know they won one of the most important games in the history of sports, BUT I think it's time for an update. They can then wear these "throwback" jersey's a few times a year.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 2:48 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 



JETRepulsion wrote:

The Jets and I have a love / hate relationship. I'm sure there are A LOT of people out there who know how I feel. I know they won one of the most important games in the history of sports, BUT I think it's time for an update. They can then wear these "throwback" jersey's a few times a year.
I root for teams with a pretty bad track record. I've seen one Mets title, one Rangers title, and no Jets titles in my 40 years on this planet. I'm pretty jaded at times, but I'm not sure I'd ever call it love/hate. To me, the hate side is just a coping mechanism to provide distance for when you are disappointed in the team, rather than just dealing with it directly.

As for the uniforms, since they made this change, they have had one of the most prolonged periods of success in franchise history. Since Parcells brought these unis back in 1998, the Jets have:

- made 3 AFC title games (1998, 2009, 2010)
- made the playoffs 7 times (1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2010)
- won their only AFC East titles (1998, 2002)
- had losing seasons in only 4 of 16 years (2003, 2005, 2007, 2012).

To me, that is a pretty good track record. The media may rip on the Jets like they're the worst franchise in all of sports, but it's not grounded in truth. And the renaissance the franchise has benefited from can be traced back to the arrival of Parcells and the changing of the uniforms.

Reply | Quote
  • JETRepulsion
  • Veteran
  • Rating: 3.0/5 this site
  • 1347 posts this site

Posted: 8/26/2014 3:18 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 



SackExchange wrote:
JETRepulsion wrote:

The Jets and I have a love / hate relationship. I'm sure there are A LOT of people out there who know how I feel. I know they won one of the most important games in the history of sports, BUT I think it's time for an update. They can then wear these "throwback" jersey's a few times a year.
I root for teams with a pretty bad track record. I've seen one Mets title, one Rangers title, and no Jets titles in my 40 years on this planet. I'm pretty jaded at times, but I'm not sure I'd ever call it love/hate. To me, the hate side is just a coping mechanism to provide distance for when you are disappointed in the team, rather than just dealing with it directly.

As for the uniforms, since they made this change, they have had one of the most prolonged periods of success in franchise history. Since Parcells brought these unis back in 1998, the Jets have:

- made 3 AFC title games (1998, 2009, 2010)
- made the playoffs 7 times (1998, 2001, 2002, 2004, 2006, 2009, 2010)
- won their only AFC East titles (1998, 2002)
- had losing seasons in only 4 of 16 years (2003, 2005, 2007, 2012).

To me, that is a pretty good track record. The media may rip on the Jets like they're the worst franchise in all of sports, but it's not grounded in truth. And the renaissance the franchise has benefited from can be traced back to the arrival of Parcells and the changing of the uniforms.
I hear ya brother. I'm also 40. I became a Jets fan in 1980 and that was a golden age for this team back them - 81 - 86. Playoffs almost every year ('81, 82, 85 and 86 I believe). As a kid, they were more exciting than the Giants at the time - more offense, passing and high scoring games. But in so many ways, they are the same franchise then as now - sometimes good, never great, get close, but never get that elusive ring. It's been frustrating, but I do love the big lugs. Not sure what I'll do when they finally win it. The Jets are thisclose to being one of the great franchises though. If they would have won once in the 80s with the Sack Exchange and the high scoring O and great WRs and Freeman McNeil and once in the 90s, we'd have 3 rings and be in the same conversation as the Packers and Steelers. Instead, we are like a lot of other average franchises out there. That's just very frustrating to me. 

I'm a Yankee fan (thank God), but that's really the only "great franchise" I root for. If I was a Jets and Mets fan, I might have slit my wrists a long time ago. Also, growing up, the Yanks weren't that great - always in 2nd place in the 80s before the Wild Card and weren't really great again until 1996 and on. I was actually more into the Yankees before they won it all and '96 (the first time I remember them winning the WS was still my favorite year). I was a big Knicks fan, but have been so turned off by the last 14 years that I hate them (and don't really even like b-ball that much anymore). I'm also a Devils fan and they had a mini-dynasty going for a while. 

As for coping when the Jets loose, they make me soo crazy that I have to lash out at them. I love when the Jets win and watch all the highlights and read the positive stories. But, when they loose, I do take some solice in knowing that the papers will rip them a new one. pirate And, for me, it's actually helps my mental state and I enjoy reading the articles in the NY Post destroying them. And, I know that the NY papers aren't the only ones who do it. Check out the Chicago Sun Times next time the Bears loose, or the Philadelphia Daily News when the Eagles loose. It's actually worse. 

Anyway, too long a post, but I felt like I needed to explain. I'm definitely not a "woe is me" fan though. I have no illusions that we are one of the worst and I've said it before that I see us on par with a franchise like the Cheifs - who also have some great history, but not alot of Lombardis. Been waiting for a long time for our time and hope it happens soon man!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 3:22 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


Oh, Philly is awful. The fans will turn on you after a bad play. And the press is worse to the hometown team than the NY press.

However, the difference in both Philly and Chicago is that aside from Chicago baseball, their teams are the only game in town. So when they do well, they receive the accolades of the press. In NY, you need to be one of the establishment teams (Yanks, Giants) to ever get praised.

Reply | Quote
  • JETRepulsion
  • Veteran
  • Rating: 3.0/5 this site
  • 1347 posts this site

Posted: 8/26/2014 3:33 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 



SackExchange wrote: Oh, Philly is awful. The fans will turn on you after a bad play. And the press is worse to the hometown team than the NY press.

However, the difference in both Philly and Chicago is that aside from Chicago baseball, their teams are the only game in town. So when they do well, they receive the accolades of the press. In NY, you need to be one of the establishment teams (Yanks, Giants) to ever get praised.
The Bulls and Blackhawks are big in Chicago. The Phillies are pretty big in Philly. I'm telling you, other town's papers are just as bad. I remember when the Texans lost to the Jets (in Sanchez's first game as a pro) and the Houston Chronicle was calling it the worst loss in Texans history! Seriously. I think when the NY Papers say something bad about the Jets it gets magnafied because we are in NY - the media capital of the world. But the NY papers also jump on the Jets bandwagon when they do well and are in the playoffs. The NY Post was black and green (rather than the traditional black and red) during the week leading up to the AFC Championship game in '98. If the Jets make the SB, the papers will be going Jets crazy (in a positive way). Trust me.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 3:53 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


I lived in Philly. The Phils were nothing until they were winning. Baseball and hoops are down the list. Iggles and hockey first, probably in part to them both being violent sports.

Boston, on the other hand, is owned by the Red Sox, no matter what. The Pats were irrelevant until Mo hit Bledsoe.

Reply | Quote
  • JETRepulsion
  • Veteran
  • Rating: 3.0/5 this site
  • 1347 posts this site

Posted: 8/26/2014 4:14 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 



JETRepulsion wrote:
 The Jets are thisclose to being one of the great franchises though. If they would have won once in the 80s with the Sack Exchange and the high scoring O and great WRs and Freeman McNeil and once in the 90s, we'd have 3 rings and be in the same conversation as the Packers and Steelers. Instead, we are like a lot of other average franchises out there. That's just very frustrating to me. 
One last thing I wanted to say about this - Because the Jets haven't won in most of our lifetimes, many of us feel a greater sense of urgency like they need to win NOW. If they had one bounce go there way in the 80s (like beating the Dolphins in the Mud Bowl or not having Gastanieau's roughing the passer penalty against the Browns called or showing up in the first half against the Steelers in the 2011 AFC Champsionship game and we would have won a SB or even 2 then the fans and the press would be A LOT less hard on the Jets. I see it with the Yankees - we won in '96 and a bunch after and there isn't really a rush to win it again. We already did it. With the Jets, we don't know if they ever will win it because it hasn't happened in so long. We feel like they have to do it now or they may never do it. It's human nature. On the other hand, once the Yankees won and it wasn't the same. I'm still a fan, but I definitely don't follow them as closely as I did in '96. WIth the Jets, I'm willing to take that chance and see how I feel after they win though biggrin
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 4:18 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


Oh, I remember the pre-1994 Rangers urgency. That said, before the Rangers did it, it took a lot of different ways of doing it.

Ultimately, Idzik may not be giving you the immediate ROI you would get if someone like Bill Parcells came in and traded away the youth for established veterans, but I'd rather the Jets be built to be legitimate contenders for years and years, rather than just one shot at the golden ring. So while I understand the urgency, I also see the value in building this way.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/26/2014 4:26 PM

Re: THROWBACK UNIFORMS 


I also like the Green helmets with white lettering and wouldn't mind that as a change from Titans uniforms. But, if they do it, please not against Eagles. I remember a game in the 80's between those two and it was impossible to keep track of who was who, same color helmets. At least clubhouse guys didn't have to re-paint helmets after helmet to helmet hitys that game.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >