Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 18  Next >

Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm)

Posted: 8/13/2014 9:38 AM

Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 


biggest story lines will be seeing some progress by the offense and how the patchwork secondary holds up.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 10:07 AM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 


Salas and Pryor's first games are big stories for me.

Geno's progress.

Ivory and CJ2k do anything against bengals run D.

secondary vs Green.

Any pass rush this week?  Any?  Luck had all day to throw and even sat in the pocket and let Hilton run from the left slot to the right flat and then dropped it off as he sat untouched in the pocket and waited for the play to unfold.  Jets need a pass rush with this schedule!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 10:52 AM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



Jetman55 wrote: Salas and Pryor's first games are big stories for me.

Geno's progress.

Ivory and CJ2k do anything against bengals run D.

secondary vs Green.

Any pass rush this week?  Any?  Luck had all day to throw and even sat in the pocket and let Hilton run from the left slot to the right flat and then dropped it off as he sat untouched in the pocket and waited for the play to unfold.  Jets need a pass rush with this schedule!
The Jets' pass rush is predicated on their blitz packages. In preseason games, they are playing a lot of base, not showing much in terms of blitz schemes.

Don't judge the pass rush on preseason games. It's not an accurate barometer.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 10:55 AM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



SackExchange wrote:
Jetman55 wrote: Salas and Pryor's first games are big stories for me.

Geno's progress.

Ivory and CJ2k do anything against bengals run D.

secondary vs Green.

Any pass rush this week?  Any?  Luck had all day to throw and even sat in the pocket and let Hilton run from the left slot to the right flat and then dropped it off as he sat untouched in the pocket and waited for the play to unfold.  Jets need a pass rush with this schedule!
The Jets' pass rush is predicated on their blitz packages. In preseason games, they are playing a lot of base, not showing much in terms of blitz schemes.

Don't judge the pass rush on preseason games. It's not an accurate barometer.
Oh yeah?  crazy  Did you know we sent a 9 man and 2 8 man blitzes vs Luck... I've watched the game twice. crazy

Pretty sure that led to the bad snap.

Last edited 8/13/2014 10:56 AM by Jetman55

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 11:10 AM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



Jetman55 wrote:

Oh yeah?  crazy  Did you know we sent a 9 man and 2 8 man blitzes vs Luck... I've watched the game twice. crazy

Pretty sure that led to the bad snap.
Three plays is hardly a full sample size. Do you think the Jets are showing everything they have regarding blitz packages? If they are showing everything they have, Rex should be fired.

I know you like to always be right, but you can't have it both ways. If the pass rush led to the bad snap, how did the pass rush do nothing?

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 11:15 AM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



SackExchange wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:

Oh yeah?  crazy  Did you know we sent a 9 man and 2 8 man blitzes vs Luck... I've watched the game twice. crazy

Pretty sure that led to the bad snap.
Three plays is hardly a full sample size. Do you think the Jets are showing everything they have regarding blitz packages? If they are showing everything they have, Rex should be fired.

I know you like to always be right, but you can't have it both ways. If the pass rush led to the bad snap, how did the pass rush do nothing?
Fair, but my point was, Luck dropped back to pass 5 times and we blitzed 3 times (not counting the bad snap as a 6th play in this very small sample size), and despite blitzing 3 out of 5 passing plays we had no pass rush.  You referenced we didn't show the blitz packages...my point is even when we blitzed, we had nothing that resembled a pass rush.

...and if Rex showed all his blitzes in the 5 plays Luck passed, I agree, he should be fired. biggrin
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 11:18 AM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



Jetman55 wrote:

Fair, but my point was, Luck dropped back to pass 5 times and we blitzed 3 times (not counting the bad snap as a 6th play in this very small sample size), and despite blitzing 3 out of 5 passing plays we had no pass rush.  You referenced we didn't show the blitz packages...my point is even when we blitzed, we had nothing that resembled a pass rush.

...and if Rex showed all his blitzes in the 5 plays Luck passed, I agree, he should be fired. biggrin
It may be cause for concern, but I still don't see preseason games as a fair barometer for anything that is scheme-dependent. The Jets' pass rush is scheme-dependent.

If we ran a 4-3, and pass rush was produced more by winning one-on-one matchups with speed, then yes, it would be more reflective of what the pass rush might look like.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 11:25 AM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



SackExchange wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:

Fair, but my point was, Luck dropped back to pass 5 times and we blitzed 3 times (not counting the bad snap as a 6th play in this very small sample size), and despite blitzing 3 out of 5 passing plays we had no pass rush.  You referenced we didn't show the blitz packages...my point is even when we blitzed, we had nothing that resembled a pass rush.

...and if Rex showed all his blitzes in the 5 plays Luck passed, I agree, he should be fired. biggrin
It may be cause for concern, but I still don't see preseason games as a fair barometer for anything that is scheme-dependent. The Jets' pass rush is scheme-dependent.

If we ran a 4-3, and pass rush was produced more by winning one-on-one matchups with speed, then yes, it would be more reflective of what the pass rush might look like.
Why can't Babin and Coples get a sack unless Ryan draws them a picture that includes a dotted line to the QB?  Is that too much to ask for?  Ryan should have enough talent to not have to rely on smoke and mirrors for everything; and in our front 7, I believe he does.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 11:29 AM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



Jetman55 wrote:

Why can't Babin and Coples get a sack unless Ryan draws them a picture that includes a dotted line to the QB?  Is that too much to ask for?  Ryan should have enough talent to not have to rely on smoke and mirrors for everything; and in our front 7, I believe he does.
Well, when you're:

1. Dealing with a scheme that does most of the work of opening blitzing lanes, and keeping that scheme close to the vest, and
2. Limiting top guys' snaps to get the backups some playing time...

it's not giving them much opportunity to get sacks. Limited scheme, limited snaps. I'm not sure what all is expected.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 11:59 AM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



SackExchange wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:

Why can't Babin and Coples get a sack unless Ryan draws them a picture that includes a dotted line to the QB?  Is that too much to ask for?  Ryan should have enough talent to not have to rely on smoke and mirrors for everything; and in our front 7, I believe he does.
Well, when you're:

1. Dealing with a scheme that does most of the work of opening blitzing lanes, and keeping that scheme close to the vest, and
2. Limiting top guys' snaps to get the backups some playing time...

it's not giving them much opportunity to get sacks. Limited scheme, limited snaps. I'm not sure what all is expected.

Same Old Story here...... Let's complain about the performance of players, schemes, coaches, fans cheerleaders after 1 preseason game.  And the first preseason game at that...

I want to see Hill get more targets in this game...I mean actual footballs thrown to him....  I had to laugh at yesterdays practice results for Hill and the response on this board.   14 practices of Hill looking good.  Making catches getting open.... the boards response to that mostly crickets..... one or two say well lets see how he does come game time.... Game 1 preseason, which I broke down, 1 pass thrown his way in which he was pulled n his jersey for a PI call and yea a drop but can be forgiven... Yesterday he drops 2 passes in practice and the world is coming to an end. Let's cut him, he's a bust etc....

Lets get some real game time footage and targets to him before we judge.  With that said he has a lot to prov. I am super skeptical but I have always known from the moment we drafted him he was at least a 3 year project. But hey this is NY.... It's all about now.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 12:04 PM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 


Sacks are big plays, no doubt. But a stat that doesn't get nearly enough recognition is hurries. I'm looking to see more pocket collapsing pressure this year from the defense, even if it doesn't result in a sack. Hurries produce incompletions and unease for opposing QB's.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 12:31 PM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



SackExchange wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:

Why can't Babin and Coples get a sack unless Ryan draws them a picture that includes a dotted line to the QB?  Is that too much to ask for?  Ryan should have enough talent to not have to rely on smoke and mirrors for everything; and in our front 7, I believe he does.
Well, when you're:

1. Dealing with a scheme that does most of the work of opening blitzing lanes, and keeping that scheme close to the vest, and
2. Limiting top guys' snaps to get the backups some playing time...

it's not giving them much opportunity to get sacks. Limited scheme, limited snaps. I'm not sure what all is expected.
Also, the Jets didn't substitute personnel when they blitzed the Colts. If I'm not mistaken, Snacks was still on the field. You won't see Ryan call a "casino" blitz during the regular season with a NT on the field.
Not on my Watch    
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 1:06 PM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



football51 wrote:
SackExchange wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:

Why can't Babin and Coples get a sack unless Ryan draws them a picture that includes a dotted line to the QB?  Is that too much to ask for?  Ryan should have enough talent to not have to rely on smoke and mirrors for everything; and in our front 7, I believe he does.
Well, when you're:

1. Dealing with a scheme that does most of the work of opening blitzing lanes, and keeping that scheme close to the vest, and
2. Limiting top guys' snaps to get the backups some playing time...

it's not giving them much opportunity to get sacks. Limited scheme, limited snaps. I'm not sure what all is expected.
Also, the Jets didn't substitute personnel when they blitzed the Colts. If I'm not mistaken, Snacks was still on the field. You won't see Ryan call a "casino" blitz during the regular season with a NT on the field.

This is 100% true and why I feel he bltized 3 times. He didnt make any subs so he sent the house...even both safeties once.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/13/2014 1:19 PM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 


Rex says Boyd will play on Saturday. Not sure about Simms. Both have struggled throughout camp. #NYJ




Rex says Pryor needs work/reps. Could see him with all 3 defensive units on Saturday vs. Bengals. #NYJ





Rex says he doesn't think Cumberland will be out long with Achilles issue. Thinks he'll play at Cincy, but not certain. #Jets








Not on my Watch    
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 1:39 PM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



football51 wrote:

Rex says Boyd will play on Saturday. Not sure about Simms. Both have struggled throughout camp. #NYJ




Rex says Pryor needs work/reps. Could see him with all 3 defensive units on Saturday vs. Bengals. #NYJ





Rex says he doesn't think Cumberland will be out long with Achilles issue. Thinks he'll play at Cincy, but not certain. #Jets








Sudfeld or Amaro to start if he can't would be an interesting developing story...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 1:54 PM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



Jetman55 wrote:
football51 wrote:
SackExchange wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:

Why can't Babin and Coples get a sack unless Ryan draws them a picture that includes a dotted line to the QB?  Is that too much to ask for?  Ryan should have enough talent to not have to rely on smoke and mirrors for everything; and in our front 7, I believe he does.
Well, when you're:

1. Dealing with a scheme that does most of the work of opening blitzing lanes, and keeping that scheme close to the vest, and
2. Limiting top guys' snaps to get the backups some playing time...

it's not giving them much opportunity to get sacks. Limited scheme, limited snaps. I'm not sure what all is expected.
Also, the Jets didn't substitute personnel when they blitzed the Colts. If I'm not mistaken, Snacks was still on the field. You won't see Ryan call a "casino" blitz during the regular season with a NT on the field.

This is 100% true and why I feel he bltized 3 times. He didnt make any subs so he sent the house...even both safeties once.
Fair point. I had not considered how the playing time issue would lead to fewer sub packages, but that is true, as well.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 2:17 PM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 


IMO the only true ( REX) blitz was the one where Harris gets a sack. Mo stunts underneath the lane and collects two blockers and Harris comes right through that untouched.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 3:59 PM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 


I hope to see Geno and Vick at least 3 quarters the next two games. The offense need to establish a receiving group and I don't think we can truly see what we have with Simms or Boyd in for almost a half.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 4:36 PM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 



Lakerfan1980 wrote: I hope to see Geno and Vick at least 3 quarters the next two games. The offense need to establish a receiving group and I don't think we can truly see what we have with Simms or Boyd in for almost a half.
Vick said yesterday Geno will play the first half and he'll start the second half.   Rumor has it he wont get to play with the #1 oline, RBs, and WRs, Marty seemed to waffle in interviews yesterday.

If it was my choice, no way does brick and Mangold come out of the locker room in the second half with their pads.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/13/2014 5:04 PM

Re: Pre-Season Game Thread - Jets @ Bengals - 8/18 (7pm) 





---------------------------------------------
--- Jetman55 wrote:


Lakerfan1980 wrote: I hope to see Geno and Vick at least 3 quarters the next two games. The offense need to establish a receiving group and I don't think we can truly see what we have with Simms or Boyd in for almost a half.
Vick said yesterday Geno will play the first half and he'll start the second half.   Rumor has it he wont get to play with the #1 oline, RBs, and WRs, Marty seemed to waffle in interviews yesterday.

If it was my choice, no way does brick and Mangold come out of the locker room in the second half with their pads.

---------------------------------------------
That's great. Guys like Salas, Enunwa, Saunders, Ford will all have a better chance to showcase themselves. Vick should handle the backup OL welll, with several spots still up in the air.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 18  Next >