Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >

Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB

Avatar

Posted: 8/11/2014 3:47 PM

Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 


http://www.nydailynews.com/blo...entry-1.1899541


When this kid was drafted, if my memory serves me well, his reputation was great cover skills.  Can this work?

I think if Rex is trying it, there must be a good reason..  I think!!

Last edited 8/11/2014 3:47 PM by lounap23

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/11/2014 3:55 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 


So Rex is showing desperation and we are not supposed to be worried about our secondary ? Ok idzik
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/11/2014 3:58 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 



lounap23 wrote: http://www.nydailynews.com/blo...entry-1.1899541


When this kid was drafted, if my memory serves me well, his reputation was great cover skills.  Can this work?

I think if Rex is trying it, there must be a good reason..  I think!!
disbeliefdisbeliefdisbelief

Actually, he was used like a linebacker in college and his weakness was coverage.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/11/2014 4:03 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 


I hope so. We will need him bad. Maybe they should try him at WR also. He will probably be the forth best receiver behind Decker, Kerley and Nelson.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/11/2014 4:05 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 



Jetman55 wrote:
lounap23 wrote: http://www.nydailynews.com/blo...entry-1.1899541


When this kid was drafted, if my memory serves me well, his reputation was great cover skills.  Can this work?

I think if Rex is trying it, there must be a good reason..  I think!!
disbeliefdisbeliefdisbelief

Actually, he was used like a linebacker in college and his weakness was coverage.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/...llen?id=2532786

His 2012 draft profile

This seems like it partly eludes to your point that his coverage skills are weak because he played in the box so much.  But then talks about he can blanket TE's which is what I remember about him cause covering TE's was our problem.  

With that said reports from camp today said he looked good at CB....
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/11/2014 4:22 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 



lounap23 wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:
lounap23 wrote: http://www.nydailynews.com/blo...entry-1.1899541


When this kid was drafted, if my memory serves me well, his reputation was great cover skills.  Can this work?

I think if Rex is trying it, there must be a good reason..  I think!!
disbeliefdisbeliefdisbelief

Actually, he was used like a linebacker in college and his weakness was coverage.
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/...llen?id=2532786

His 2012 draft profile

This seems like it partly eludes to your point that his coverage skills are weak because he played in the box so much.  But then talks about he can blanket TE's which is what I remember about him cause covering TE's was our problem.  

With that said reports from camp today said he looked good at CB....
I heard he had 2 INTs at camp today.

You don't have to convince me he's our best cover S, I thought he did an awesome job last year in coverage until Ed Reed got here, then his coverage skills sucked and everyone else's coverage skills got better.

I think Allen can play, don't get me wrong, but even Antrell Rolle struggles when moved from S to CB...and he came into the league as a CB.

I think this is an act of desperation, like when we used Joe McKnight at CB, but maybe he can play some CB, just hope we don't have to rely on it too much (or ever).
Reply | Quote
  • parcells123
  • Veteran
  • Rating: 3.0/5 this site
  • 1093 posts this site

Posted: 8/11/2014 4:26 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 


If you watched Rex's defense evolve last year, he played the safety in man coverage quite a bit.  This makes perfect sense.  He'll get the best 4-6 best DB's on the field as much as he can.  He'll rotate 3 safeties in the game at the same time a lot.  He'll use the bigger DB's to cover TE's and to cover the middle.  Milliner will often be single coverage on the opposing "#1" WR.   The Jets defense will be fine.  Don't listen to the hype.

Now with the offense?...

Last edited 8/11/2014 4:27 PM by parcells123

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/11/2014 4:34 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 





---------------------------------------------
--- parcells123 wrote:

If you watched Rex's defense evolve last year, he played the safety in man coverage quite a bit.  This makes perfect sense.  He'll get the best 4-6 best DB's on the field as much as he can.  He'll rotate 3 safeties in the game at the same time a lot.  He'll use the bigger DB's to cover TE's and to cover the middle.  Milliner will often be single coverage on the opposing "#1" WR.   The Jets defense will be fine.  Don't listen to the hype.

Now with the offense?...

---------------------------------------------

Our defensive ranking has gone down each season since Rex became head coach. Recent events point to that trend continuing. I hope you're right.
Reply | Quote
  • superjet
  • Practice Squad
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 412 posts this site

Posted: 8/11/2014 4:50 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 



Jetman55 wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- parcells123 wrote:

If you watched Rex's defense evolve last year, he played the safety in man coverage quite a bit.  This makes perfect sense.  He'll get the best 4-6 best DB's on the field as much as he can.  He'll rotate 3 safeties in the game at the same time a lot.  He'll use the bigger DB's to cover TE's and to cover the middle.  Milliner will often be single coverage on the opposing "#1" WR.   The Jets defense will be fine.  Don't listen to the hype.

Now with the offense?...

---------------------------------------------

Our defensive ranking has gone down each season since Rex became head coach. Recent events point to that trend continuing. I hope you're right.
The defensive ranking probably has more to do with our offense being horrendous. The more 3 and outs the offense had the harder it became for our defense. Rex knows what he is doing with defense.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/11/2014 5:07 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 


Well, Rex after practice called Allen an all pro caliber S with CB cover skills and said we'll be a great defense no matter who lines up at CB (even me and Hobson). So I guess we got nothing to worry about.

This week we face the Bengals and our starting secondary will be Allen, Lankster, and Wilson in the slot according to Ryan...should be interesting. He did say the starting CBs on the '85 Bears were college safeties just like Allen. Should be interesting.

Next up: Dalton and Green and those TEs...no problem...

Last edited 8/11/2014 5:09 PM by Jetman55

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/11/2014 5:10 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 





---------------------------------------------
--- wambam78 wrote:

So Rex is showing desperation and we are not supposed to be worried about our secondary ? Ok idzik

---------------------------------------------

A positive development in practice, with Allen picking two passes at CB, provides an opportunity for those still angry about a rookie CB's season ending injury to bash Idzik and call Rex Ryan "desperate".

Like I said, a no-win situation for Idzik and Ryan. You can't win. The season's over before it's even started because of two injuries: a third round rookie who may not have started anyway, and a sprained ankle that will probably have Milliner back by week 1 or 2. Shut it down. Season over. Fire Idzik.
Reply | Quote
  • superjet
  • Practice Squad
  • Rating: 0.0/5 this site
  • 412 posts this site

Posted: 8/11/2014 5:12 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 



Jetman55 wrote: Well, Rex after practice called Allen an all pro caliber S with CB cover skills and said we'll be a great defense no matter who lines up at CB (even me and Hobson). So I guess we got nothing to worry about.

This week we face the Bengals and our starting secondary will be Allen, Lankster, and Wilson in the slot according to Ryan...should be interesting. He did say the starting CBs on the '85 Bears were college safeties just like Allen. Should be interesting.

Next up: Dalton and Green and those TEs...no problem...
It will be fun to see how we handle that. Maybe one or two of the guys step up and show they belong.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/11/2014 5:17 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 



Not to be too far on the other extreme, but are you saying everything is fine because of a practice report? That seems to be a bit drastic in the opposite direction. We just converted a S to #1 CB, a S that never played CB in high school or college to NFL #1 CB and because of one practice we're fine? Color me pessimistic, but that seems like green glasses on opinion, IMO.

Also, Milliner's ankle is so bad he still can't get an MRI to ultimately confirm high or low ankle sprain. So we don't even know how bad or not bad it is. I do agree his injury likely isn't season ending, so it could be worse.

---------------------------------------------
--- BlindsideBrick wrote:




---------------------------------------------
--- wambam78 wrote:

So Rex is showing desperation and we are not supposed to be worried about our secondary ? Ok idzik

---------------------------------------------

A positive development in practice, with Allen picking two passes at CB, provides an opportunity for those still angry about a rookie CB's season ending injury to bash Idzik and call Rex Ryan "desperate".

Like I said, a no-win situation for Idzik and Ryan. You can't win. The season's over before it's even started because of two injuries: a third round rookie who may not have started anyway, and a sprained ankle that will probably have Milliner back by week 1 or 2. Shut it down. Season over. Fire Idzik.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/11/2014 5:24 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 



Jetman55 wrote:
Not to be too far on the other extreme, but are you saying everything is fine because of a practice report? That seems to be a bit drastic in the opposite direction. We just converted a S to #1 CB, a S that never played CB in high school or college to NFL #1 CB and because of one practice we're fine? Color me pessimistic, but that seems like green glasses on opinion, IMO.

Also, Milliner's ankle is so bad he still can't get an MRI to ultimately confirm high or low ankle sprain. So we don't even know how bad or not bad it is. I do agree his injury likely isn't season ending, so it could be worse.

---------------------------------------------
--- BlindsideBrick wrote:




---------------------------------------------
--- wambam78 wrote:

So Rex is showing desperation and we are not supposed to be worried about our secondary ? Ok idzik

---------------------------------------------

A positive development in practice, with Allen picking two passes at CB, provides an opportunity for those still angry about a rookie CB's season ending injury to bash Idzik and call Rex Ryan "desperate".

Like I said, a no-win situation for Idzik and Ryan. You can't win. The season's over before it's even started because of two injuries: a third round rookie who may not have started anyway, and a sprained ankle that will probably have Milliner back by week 1 or 2. Shut it down. Season over. Fire Idzik.

---------------------------------------------
It's preseason here.  As you said atleast it's not season ending with Milliner.  He will be back and HOPEFULLY he can continue where he left off last season.  WIth that said,  We really didn't know what we had in McDougle.  The Jets have depth at the position and Rex see's Antonio Allen more than we do.  There's a reason why he's trying him out.  It doesn't hurt at all to see if it works.
It's great that we get to face the Bengals. A high octane offense.  Let's see if the back ups rise to the occasion to prove to the coaching staff that they can handle the load. It's not the regular season yet, still three weeks away.

*The pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.*

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/11/2014 5:25 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 



Rex is going to cook something up cool to prove all the doubters, including me, wrong. He wants to prove he's great at what he does no matter who is out there. I respect that alot, I just wish our GMs didn't make him trot out RBs and Ss to play CB to prove his point.

I'm always up for a good magic show, huge Chris Angel fan though he reminds me a little of Prince, so Rex and his 2014 smoke and mirror show will be fun to watch. That's for sure!



---------------------------------------------
--- superjet wrote:


Jetman55 wrote: Well, Rex after practice called Allen an all pro caliber S with CB cover skills and said we'll be a great defense no matter who lines up at CB (even me and Hobson). So I guess we got nothing to worry about.

This week we face the Bengals and our starting secondary will be Allen, Lankster, and Wilson in the slot according to Ryan...should be interesting. He did say the starting CBs on the '85 Bears were college safeties just like Allen. Should be interesting.

Next up: Dalton and Green and those TEs...no problem...
It will be fun to see how we handle that. Maybe one or two of the guy step up and show they belong.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/11/2014 5:32 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 



wambam78 wrote: So Rex is showing desperation and we are not supposed to be worried about our secondary ? Ok idzik
And when and if this works well .....  was it desperation or genius?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/11/2014 5:40 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 



Jetman55 wrote:
lounap23 wrote: http://www.nydailynews.com/blo...entry-1.1899541


When this kid was drafted, if my memory serves me well, his reputation was great cover skills.  Can this work?

I think if Rex is trying it, there must be a good reason..  I think!!
disbeliefdisbeliefdisbelief

Actually, he was used like a linebacker in college and his weakness was coverage.
+1 agree. Actually he was a Rover back which was a hybrid safety / LB @ South Carolina.

IMO, Rex is moving the wrong safety to CB, he should move Josh Bush S to CB instead. Bush was a hell of a CB @ Wake-Forest, and is a much better one on one in coverage.noidea

I'm still hoping Ras-I Dowling CB fights his injury bug, and becomes our #2 CB.

Go Jets....Cyborg
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/11/2014 5:46 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 


*The pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.*

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/11/2014 5:47 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 



I'm just laughing at how completely negative people get over the slightest bit of adversity. The second this news broke, it was all doom and gloom, with the assumption that Idzik "failed to fix the CB problem" and should be held accountable for a couple of injuries he had zero control over. I keep reading "Idzik should've been prepared for this!!!" and "he should be fired if this season doesn't go well!!". And it's not just some fans here. It's the usual people in the media who pounce at every opportunity to criticize the team, as well as a few surprising people who are usually not so knee jerk in their criticisms, like Adam Schefter. I was shocked to see his comments today, subscribing to this paranoid narrative which always assumes the worst.

---------------------------------------------
--- Jetman55 wrote:


Not to be too far on the other extreme, but are you saying everything is fine because of a practice report? That seems to be a bit drastic in the opposite direction. We just converted a S to #1 CB, a S that never played CB in high school or college to NFL #1 CB and because of one practice we're fine? Color me pessimistic, but that seems like green glasses on opinion, IMO.

Also, Milliner's ankle is so bad he still can't get an MRI to ultimately confirm high or low ankle sprain. So we don't even know how bad or not bad it is. I do agree his injury likely isn't season ending, so it could be worse.

---------------------------------------------
--- BlindsideBrick wrote:




---------------------------------------------
--- wambam78 wrote:

So Rex is showing desperation and we are not supposed to be worried about our secondary ? Ok idzik

---------------------------------------------

A positive development in practice, with Allen picking two passes at CB, provides an opportunity for those still angry about a rookie CB's season ending injury to bash Idzik and call Rex Ryan "desperate".

Like I said, a no-win situation for Idzik and Ryan. You can't win. The season's over before it's even started because of two injuries: a third round rookie who may not have started anyway, and a sprained ankle that will probably have Milliner back by week 1 or 2. Shut it down. Season over. Fire Idzik.

---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/11/2014 5:52 PM

Re: Antonio Allen _ Practicing at CB 


Desperate times call for desperate measures.

I for one think you will see some crazy coverage's from Rex this year. I feel like this is going to get his creative defensive juices flowing and it'll make us a better defense.


Drinking the Kool Aid till the end. Like Mo says Jet Life to the next life.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 5  Next >