Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 15  Next >

How many wins does Rex need to keep his job?

Posted: 3/28/2013 9:59 PM

How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 


Ok, so we know what Idzik's game plan is to improve the roster. Clearly, he's releasing older, underperforming players, signing "hold the fort" types at bottom level prices, and he's trying to accumulate draft picks.

This obviously puts Rex 's tenure in a precarious state. Now we know he can coach defense. But with this current roster so underwhelming talent-wise : how many games does he need to win so Woody keeps him in 2014?

What do you guys/gals think? I say 7 wins or more and Rex has done a very good coaching job and he gets an extension. One caveat is that they can't have a lot of those horrible blow- out losses like they did in 2012.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/29/2013 9:01 AM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 


First of all it should be Idzik's choice whether Rex stays not Woody. Woody needs to stay in the background.

 

I think 8 wins saves his job, maybe 6 or 7 IF the Jets are competitive and play with intensity which they haven't since 2010.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/29/2013 9:08 AM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 


Hard to know with what's going on in the background how to answer this. Is Rex really safe for 2 more years because Woody likes him? Was Rex only not fired last year because Woody knows they will be bad this year and they want the high profile coach to sell tickets? My thought is if the win 4 or 5 games (and I think they will go around 5-11) Rex should get fired, but who knows? Dysfunctional owner.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/29/2013 9:12 AM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 


Not sure the wins/loses matter more than if he's clearly perceived to have lost the team like back in 2011. If the team is losing but playing hard and it's clear they just don't have the talent yet than Rex probably stays. On the other hand I don't know how he if can survive a 3 win or less season. 

With that said it will be interesting to see how our fan base reacts if the Jets are say tracking to the first pick and Teddy Bridgewater is absolutely lighting it up at Louisville. Think some of us will be rooting to lose out but Rex might be fighting for his job and will be pulling out all the stops. He might even let Tebow throw the ball on the option.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/29/2013 9:14 AM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 



JetScreamer wrote:

First of all it should be Idzik's choice whether Rex stays not Woody. Woody needs to stay in the background.

 

I think 8 wins saves his job, maybe 6 or 7 IF the Jets are competitive and play with intensity which they haven't since 2010.

Yea I agree. I think it's going to be how we play as opposed to wins and losses. Good news is if we do get blown out it probably won't be a nationally televised game!

Maybe I'm being a homer but I think this team wins 8 games and with a couple of breaks.............Rex keeps his job.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/29/2013 10:49 AM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 


I agree with ncgreen.  given the current composition of the roster and idzik's moves to date, I don't think he will be judging rex on the absolute number of wins, but rather, how the team responds to his coaching, the effort they give, and how some of the young players develop.  now a 3- or 4-win season probably gets him the axe, but I don't think rex needs to have 8 or more wins to keep his job.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/29/2013 11:12 AM

RE: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 


it's more how the team wins and loses versus how many wins and losses.

Jets & Hawkeyes. I must enjoy torturing myself. >.<
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/29/2013 11:47 AM

RE: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 


Yeah I think as long as the Jets are in games, remain competitive and don't completely tank it Rex will stay HC..4 wins or less will most likely cost him his job though
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/29/2013 3:43 PM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 



hobson54 wrote: I agree with ncgreen.  given the current composition of the roster and idzik's moves to date, I don't think he will be judging rex on the absolute number of wins, but rather, how the team responds to his coaching, the effort they give, and how some of the young players develop.  now a 3- or 4-win season probably gets him the axe, but I don't think rex needs to have 8 or more wins to keep his job.
Agree....... also how Rex and Idzik work together. The gm/coach need a positive relationship.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/29/2013 4:28 PM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 


I honestly think it would be an error to fire Ryan after this season based on W/L record.

I want to see development of the youth on the roster and the makings of a team that has started to 'right the ship'.

Cycling through Head Coaches isn't the answer to long term success.  Rex has shown he can motivate and lead a team deep into the playoffs....

I see a few mistakes where he falls in love with guys for some reason despite their constant failings (see Smith, Eric) but at the same time, I don't see the same strategic coaching errors that we used to see with guys like Herm.  Preventable mistakes that could be avoided with better preparation.

Rex can lead a team, but now we just have to get the right talent in place for him to do that.  It's as much on Idzik and the scouting staff as it is in Herm.






Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/29/2013 4:36 PM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 


The NY media is relentless. They will start their campaign against Rex at first chance. I do think Rex will be a HC beyond this upcoming season.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/29/2013 4:42 PM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 



Lakerfan1980 wrote: The NY media is relentless. They will start their campaign against Rex at first chance. I do think Rex will be a HC beyond this upcoming season.


granted it's only been a short period of time, but idzik seems to not gave a darn what the local media says.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/29/2013 4:50 PM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 



---------------------------------------------
--- hobson54 wrote:


Lakerfan1980 wrote: The NY media is relentless. They will start their campaign against Rex at first chance. I do think Rex will be a HC beyond this upcoming season.


granted it's only been a short period of time, but idzik seems to not gave a darn what the local media says.

---------------------------------------------

The NY media will attack Idzik's credintials and decision making if he allows Rex to stay after a 3rd straight season with no playoffs. Idzick can continue to not give a darn if he has a great draft and the team has hope at QB. They are sick of Rex and will try to make everyone else sick of him too. That's the atmosphere the NY media will create.

Last edited 3/29/2013 4:52 PM by Lakerfan1980

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/29/2013 7:15 PM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 



Lakerfan1980 wrote:

The NY media will attack Idzik's credintials and decision making if he allows Rex to stay after a 3rd straight season with no playoffs. Idzick can continue to not give a darn if he has a great draft and the team has hope at QB. They are sick of Rex and will try to make everyone else sick of him too. That's the atmosphere the NY media will create.
The NY media will attack Idzik's credentials because he's the GM of the Jets. They don't need a reason.

I do think there may be a contingent that would not mind seeing both the high draft pick and the chance for Idzik to choose his own HC after this season.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/29/2013 10:15 PM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 



SackExchange wrote:
Lakerfan1980 wrote:

The NY media will attack Idzik's credintials and decision making if he allows Rex to stay after a 3rd straight season with no playoffs. Idzick can continue to not give a darn if he has a great draft and the team has hope at QB. They are sick of Rex and will try to make everyone else sick of him too. That's the atmosphere the NY media will create.
The NY media will attack Idzik's credentials because he's the GM of the Jets. They don't need a reason.

I do think there may be a contingent that would not mind seeing both the high draft pick and the chance for Idzik to choose his own HC after this season.
Honestly, I think Rex is a good coach, and has a good coaching staff.  Last year's staff had holes and they were all let go.  I think this is a good staff.  Why would we want to turn that upside down again and start all over, with new position coaches, a new offensive and defensive scheme, etc.  Continuity really helps in the NFL.  Rex has proven that if he has a talented roster, he can gameplan with the best coaches in the league and beat them in the playoffs.  His players love playing for him.  I think he deserves a chance to right the ship here, and it won't happen this year.  If this team wins 6 or 7 games, that would be really impressive given this roster and the QB situation.  I think that might be enough to keep him.  I also think if this team shows steady improvement over the course of the season, there's a decent chance that Rex could stay.  Idzik won't make decisions based on what the NY media writes, seriously, who gives a sh*t.  They're idiots anyway.  He's much smarter than that.  I'm sure he has a plan.  So let's give him a few years to figure it out.  We'll all have a much better feel for Idzik after the draft.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/30/2013 1:06 AM

RE: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 



Revan89 wrote: it's more how the team wins and loses versus how many wins and losses.
I'd add it's more about how they FINISH the season than the total number of Ws & Ls.
If they come out hot and win 5, only to lose 7 of the last 11, Rex is in trouble.
If they start slow and only have 3 or 4 wins at the bye, but go on a 5 of 7 tear at the end, Rex is probably going to get an extension.
They pretty much have to have at least an 8-8 season though, I should think, unless MM puts in his 2¢ worth and says the offense didn't play well enough but will in 2014.
HYATT™

Last edited 3/30/2013 1:06 AM by HYATT

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/30/2013 8:14 AM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 



Lakerfan1980 wrote:
---------------------------------------------
--- hobson54 wrote:


Lakerfan1980 wrote: The NY media is relentless. They will start their campaign against Rex at first chance. I do think Rex will be a HC beyond this upcoming season.


granted it's only been a short period of time, but idzik seems to not gave a darn what the local media says.

---------------------------------------------

The NY media will attack Idzik's credintials and decision making if he allows Rex to stay after a 3rd straight season with no playoffs. Idzick can continue to not give a darn if he has a great draft and the team has hope at QB. They are sick of Rex and will try to make everyone else sick of him too. That's the atmosphere the NY media will create.
If that is true, then Rex is being set up to fail. With this roster, he has about the same chance of making the playoffs as I have of hitting the lottery. Now, the 2nd sentence may be true, that Idzik will be deaf to the media. In fact, I think he will probably have to be, at least for a year or two. Rome wasn't built in a day.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/30/2013 8:47 AM

Re: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 


This is a legitimate Thread i will enjoy reading for many weeks.
Rex and the entire staff will be judged fairly this season.  If we don't get 9 wins then he has got to go.  People keep on stating that Mark has gotten so many chances and has had all the excuses in the world.  We'll the same could be said of Rex.
He has been given upgrades at certain positions on defense.  He got his OC of his choice last year in Tony Sparano.  He chose his coaching staff this year before John Idzik was chosen.
No it's time to see what kind of coach we truly have.  If he's willing to change his stubbornness to pull a QB out if he's not playing well bot to hurt "Feelings". 
Idzik will supply Rex with players that want to compete.  That's what a head coach wants the most.  No egos no pre-maddonas. His 1st three signing are pure indications that he's building through the prime weakness of the team {Garrard-Colon-Goodson}.  John is supplying Rex the tools to contend this season and after the draft it will be more evident.  Unlike what Tanny did last year in the Tebow signing.  Instead of helping his QB in spending on a Right Tackle, he poorly spent on a back up QB. 
Keep in mind, pundits have the Jets with low expectations this season.  There are no outside pressure that is florham Park distraction in houseThis Current GM will place Rex in the right situation to improve the teams record from '12.
Every one is on notice and the '13 campaign is an open audition for coaches/Players who will improve the team for seasons to come.

*The pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.*

Last edited 3/30/2013 8:53 AM by nyjetsdan16

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/30/2013 9:32 AM

RE: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 



HYATT wrote:
Revan89 wrote: it's more how the team wins and loses versus how many wins and losses.
I'd add it's more about how they FINISH the season than the total number of Ws & Ls.
If they come out hot and win 5, only to lose 7 of the last 11, Rex is in trouble.
If they start slow and only have 3 or 4 wins at the bye, but go on a 5 of 7 tear at the end, Rex is probably going to get an extension.
They pretty much have to have at least an 8-8 season though, I should think, unless MM puts in his 2¢ worth and says the offense didn't play well enough but will in 2014.
I kind of agree with this line of thinking.  If the team shows improvement in the 2nd half, Rex probably stays.  And I also agree with Football51 about his ongoing relationship with Idzik being paramount.
But I do feel with more than 9 losses in 2013 he's gone.  And the offense has to get better.  This head coach is responsible for the entire team, not just defense.  He can't always be putting the offensive woes on the coordinator.

Last edited 3/30/2013 9:33 AM by parcells123

Reply | Quote
  • dlotter
  • Air Traffic Control
  • 183 posts this site

Posted: 3/30/2013 10:07 AM

RE: How many wins does Rex need to keep his job? 


We're underselling Rex's ability to sell himself. Given a year to sell himself i think he'll win Idzik over. i mean "he can sell ketchup popsicles to a women wearing white gloves". We won't be in the hunt for the number 1 pick because Rex is too good of a coach. Idzik will warm to Rex when he realizes his coaching acumen gives us an advantage over 3/4 of leagues coaches. I think Rex becomes a coach this year and not coach/Don King like he was encouraged to be his 1st 3 years.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 15  Next >