Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast

Avatar

Posted: 3/2/2013 3:43 PM

Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 


Bleacher Report Top 35 RTs: #13 Austin Howard

Couldn't find a good thread to post this in so I figured I'd just post it as a new one...it only reaffirms what Pro Football Focus also found earlier in the year when grading him positively in their rankings (+8.5), Austin Howard is developing into a very solid RT and is already close to dominant in the run game and improving in pass protection...so I personally don't think we need to use a draft pick on a tackle and should focus on a mid round guard if we're set on drafting any OL in the draft...

Our OL was also ranked #3 by PFF as a whole for the 2013 season...which proves how our issues were definitely more associated w/ the guys we had playing the skill positions
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/2/2013 7:32 PM

RE: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 


We're definitely taking at least one OG in this draft, as both Slauson and Moore are UFA. Very low chance we re-sign both of them. Slauson isn't good enough to spend good money on, and Moore is at the age where he could start going downhill physically.
_______________________________________________________________________

"The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even knew existed."
-Casey Stengel
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/3/2013 7:08 AM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 


Warmack is a guy you can stock RG with for a decade.
The Jets would be really wise to take him at #9.
The guy is going to be hell on sod in the NFL stadiums.
HYATT™

Last edited 3/3/2013 7:10 AM by HYATT

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/3/2013 10:48 AM

RE: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 



vinluvr wrote: We're definitely taking at least one OG in this draft, as both Slauson and Moore are UFA. Very low chance we re-sign both of them. Slauson isn't good enough to spend good money on, and Moore is at the age where he could start going downhill physically.

HYATT suggested getting Warmack, and I agree. I hope we can re-sign Moore, and start to reduce his plays while letting him stay with the team...perhaps next year address his spot. that adds quality depth at a vital position, and gets younger in the span of a year.  

As to Austin, I understand the article, but did he pass the eye test to you?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/3/2013 7:05 PM

RE: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 



---------------------------------------------
--- skopko wrote:


vinluvr wrote: We're definitely taking at least one OG in this draft, as both Slauson and Moore are UFA. Very low chance we re-sign both of them. Slauson isn't good enough to spend good money on, and Moore is at the age where he could start going downhill physically.

HYATT suggested getting Warmack, and I agree. I hope we can re-sign Moore, and start to reduce his plays while letting him stay with the team...perhaps next year address his spot. that adds quality depth at a vital position, and gets younger in the span of a year.  

As to Austin, I understand the article, but did he pass the eye test to you?

---------------------------------------------

Yeah I'm not sold on Warmack at all, so I'm not a fan of taking him...I know we're going to try to sign Geoff Schwartz on the cheap in free agency which is a genius move and if Moore takes a hometown discount that we can afford we're all set at guard...if we do draft one I'd prefer a mid rounder like Alvin Bailey...also Warmack is apparently as dumb as a pile of bricks, can only play one position, lacks athleticism and is not consistently dominant for whole games despite claims of the contrary...

And yes, Austin Howard passed the eye test to me, as he obviously would ve had to to be graded so well on tape by people like this...the person who didn't pass the eye test to me was Sanchez as an NFL QB and his double pump/clutch on every throw technique due to not trusting what he saw was the main factor is most of the sacks we let up
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/3/2013 9:00 PM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 


I think the reason Howard has "passed the eye test" for a lot of people is because after watching Wayne Hunter "ole" DE's and OLB's staight to murder our QB a tackling dummy would pass the eye test. He was an upgrade over Hunter but not by much.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/3/2013 9:53 PM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 



JETBLITZ1771 wrote: I think the reason Howard has "passed the eye test" for a lot of people is because after watching Wayne Hunter "ole" DE's and OLB's staight to murder our QB a tackling dummy would pass the eye test. He was an upgrade over Hunter but not by much.
I would agree, if the tangibles did not point to him being at least solid. Statistically, he is a sound RT. Not world-beater, but solid. This is more than mere perception.

The question is, as much as you need "solid" starters, how many are acceptable on the OL? I believe Slauson is solid, but not spectacular. I am not sure you can accept more than, say, two OL starters.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 6:57 AM

RE: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 


I thought AH wore down as the season went along and didn't play nearly as well as he did in the 1/4 of
the season.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/4/2013 9:00 AM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 


Everyone who keeps saying to keep Moore over Slauson... Are you taking into consideration that Slauson is our back up Center. and B. Moore is like 35...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/4/2013 11:03 AM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 


I'm really uncertain how our offensive line graded out so high when we allowed 11 sacks in one game against the chargers.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/4/2013 12:42 PM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 



dipmetals wrote: I'm really uncertain how our offensive line graded out so high when we allowed 11 sacks in one game against the chargers.
I agree, our line was not that good. Everytime I pointed out how well Howard was playing someone would run past him and blow up Sanchez, not to mention our total lack of an anwer to NE's run blitzes, so if Fisher is there and he's the top guy on the board I say take him and don't look back.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/4/2013 1:00 PM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 



HYATT wrote: Warmack is a guy you can stock RG with for a decade.
The Jets would be really wise to take him at #9.
The guy is going to be hell on sod in the NFL stadiums.
Hyatt I am all over this he is the best player in this entire draft
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/4/2013 1:20 PM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 


I'm curious about two things with Warmack:
1) Hyatt you say he is a RG, but he spent at least his senior year as LG.  Is that because he is not particularly good is pass protection and better suited for the strong-side run game?  Educate me.
2) IlDuce, you say he is dumb as a pile of bricks - where does that come from?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/4/2013 3:24 PM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 



jgrote wrote: I'm curious about two things with Warmack:
1) Hyatt you say he is a RG, but he spent at least his senior year as LG.  Is that because he is not particularly good is pass protection and better suited for the strong-side run game?  Educate me.
2) IlDuce, you say he is dumb as a pile of bricks - where does that come from?
Mayock did say that the coaches at the combine were worried about Warmack changing systems and learning new plays because he was having a hard time picking up new things that they wanted to see. Some coaches did say he was dumb so its not a rumor and something the Jets have to think about before drafting him.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/4/2013 4:33 PM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 



HYATT wrote: Warmack is a guy you can stock RG with for a decade.
The Jets would be really wise to take him at #9.
The guy is going to be hell on sod in the NFL stadiums.
Hyatt, Warmack played LG his whole career @ Alabama, where we have a need. Hopefully Moore will take a cut and comeback @ RG. Warmack sounds dumb because of his huge southern accents that @ times are difficult for me to understand, and I've lived in NC since 72. He does sound "slow" !

Go Jets...Cyborg
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 6:36 PM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 



dipmetals wrote: I'm really uncertain how our offensive line graded out so high when we allowed 11 sacks in one game against the chargers.
Keep bringing up the SD game but feel free to continue leaving out the fact that moron Greg McElroy played over half the game with a concussion...leading to sacks when he just held on the ball, was sluggish in his drops and couldn't make his reads
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 6:37 PM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 



JETMAN10 wrote:
jgrote wrote: I'm curious about two things with Warmack:
1) Hyatt you say he is a RG, but he spent at least his senior year as LG.  Is that because he is not particularly good is pass protection and better suited for the strong-side run game?  Educate me.
2) IlDuce, you say he is dumb as a pile of bricks - where does that come from?
Mayock did say that the coaches at the combine were worried about Warmack changing systems and learning new plays because he was having a hard time picking up new things that they wanted to see. Some coaches did say he was dumb so its not a rumor and something the Jets have to think about before drafting him.
Correct Jetman, and they also said he can't make adjustments during a game...which is a huge red flag, if you need him to do more than one thing or change the protection scheme he allegedly is not able to handle it...straight from scouts at the combine
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/4/2013 6:38 PM

RE: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 


Also, if we slap Howard with the 2nd round tender and Baltimore steals him from us and he goes on to be their Left Tackle what then? Will we be having this conversation or just saying how genius Baltimore is? Because that is a legitimate rumor that is getting traction around the league...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/5/2013 1:30 AM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 



jgrote wrote: I'm curious about two things with Warmack:
1) Hyatt you say he is a RG, but he spent at least his senior year as LG.  Is that because he is not particularly good is pass protection and better suited for the strong-side run game?  Educate me.
2) IlDuce, you say he is dumb as a pile of bricks - where does that come from?
cysporsche wrote:
HYATT wrote: Warmack is a guy you can stock RG with for a decade.
The Jets would be really wise to take him at #9.
The guy is going to be hell on sod in the NFL stadiums.
Hyatt, Warmack played LG his whole career @ Alabama, where we have a need. Hopefully Moore will take a cut and comeback @ RG. Warmack sounds dumb because of his huge southern accents that @ times are difficult for me to understand, and I've lived in NC since 72. He does sound "slow" !

Go Jets...Cyborg
In a word - 2 actually - Size & Speed.

In college a 335# LG can get away with just being powerful but in the NFL a LG has to be both powerful AND have the speed to move around the extra open space LGs typically have to fill on the weak side.
The best pass rushers almost always come from the blind side.
Every time they take the outside corner the LT has to move wide to intercept them.
That leaves an enormous gap for one player, (LG), to cover and pick up a 4-3 DT or 3-4 DE AND still be able to cover the inside and left side of Center against any MIKE LBs who try to pull a delayed blitz.
At 335# Warmack is just too massive to carry his bulk across the entire gap of responsibility.
Take a look at any roster, you'll see the LG is always lighter and faster than the RG, who is a run blocking specialist.
At the NFL level that translates to a LG being 320# or under and RGs being 315# all the way up to 340# or so.

If we look at OGs as offensive players who can't play Tackle, then we see they are too short or have too short of an arm span to be Tackles and get moved inside once they reach the next level.
Many did play OT in college, but they just aren't quite good ENOUGH to play OT at the NFL level.
The faster/lighter ones end up at LG and the slower/heavier ones end up at RG - primarily because they are 6'-4" and not 6'-6", with that extra couple of inches of arm length/reach and/or because they don't have the footwork necessary to stay on the outside at the NFL level.

Warmack is no Steve Hutchinson or Alan Faneca, but he's likely to be as good as GB's Josh Sitton and better than Moore ever was.
Will he be a perennial Pro Bowl player?
Probably not, not many are, but he will probably make a couple over his career, provided the rest of the Jets OL can play up to his level and bring the team success on offense.
That's good enough.

As for SOUNDING slow - do you want a talker or a "do-er"?
I could care less about what Warmack sounds like. He can play football.
And even if he's as dumb as a box-O'-rox, how bright do you have to be to play OG in the NFL? noidea
Even the Village Idjut can learn to block in the NFL, given a year or two to get comfortable and learn his assignments.
HYATT™

Last edited 3/5/2013 1:32 AM by HYATT

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/5/2013 9:23 AM

Re: Right Tackle a Need? Not so fast 


Ok, the question then becomes does Cooper make more sense than Warmack?  Seems as though his skillset dictates LG, which would be a significant upgrade over Matt Slauson.  May also be a better choice in MMs WCO, which would require a lot of 2nd level blocking.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >