Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Post New Topic
  Page of 86  Next >

Revis (Reports - Jets have deal in place to trade Revis to Bucs)

Posted: 1/11/2013 6:26 PM

Revis (Reports - Jets have deal in place to trade Revis to Bucs) 


I didn't want to highjack a different thread, but i'd like to know that if the Jets let Revis play out this year and he cannot be franchised can he be tendered??
Could the Jets tender him with a 1st and 3rd round penalty that way they wouldn't lose him for nothing. If thats the road they take.

Last edited 4/21/2013 11:29 AM by SackExchange

Posted: 1/11/2013 6:36 PM

Re: Revis 


no, he becomes an unrestricted free agent and goes to the highest bidder (like his cousin did, sean gilbert)...i.e. he wont be a jet.

Posted: 1/11/2013 6:43 PM

Re: Revis 


short story long -

jets must resign revis
trade revis
or keep him 1 year and let him walk this summer (he won't resign and designed his contract specifically to resign this summer or walk next summer)

I'd gauge the market for wilson, revis, and cro for trades (if i can get a 2nd for wilson that's the one i trade), if i can get a 2nd and mid rd for cro i trade him (8 mill off the books), and finally if i cant get that for those 2, i strongly consider trading revis for 1 and 2 2nd rd picks (plus a couple mid rd picks)...
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2013 6:43 PM

RE: Revis 


Yeah, similar to Landry, he has a clause in his contract that prevents the Jets from franchising him when his contract expires...I wouldn't have been surprised if he walked after next year with all the hostility b/w him and Tannenbaum...I think a new GM will make it more likely we get a deal done, but it will probably be a scary couple of months unless we sign him in season...also will be interesting to see if things heat up around week 8 on the trade market if he isn't traded this offseason...as long as we get more than a 3rd round pick back for him technically it's technically "worth it" since that's all we'll get in compensatory picks if he walks
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2013 6:47 PM

Re: Revis 



Jetman55 wrote: short story long -

jets must resign revis
trade revis
or keep him 1 year and let him walk this summer (he won't resign and designed his contract specifically to resign this summer or walk next summer)

I'd gauge the market for wilson, revis, and cro for trades (if i can get a 2nd for wilson that's the one i trade), if i can get a 2nd and mid rd for cro i trade him (8 mill off the books), and finally if i cant get that for those 2, i strongly consider trading revis for 1 and 2 2nd rd picks (plus a couple mid rd picks)...
Yeah for some reason I doubt we'd get more than a 4th or 5th for Wilson...trading Cro is the way to go, he's about to turn 29 in April and he's coming off probably his best year in the pros besides the year he had 10 picks so his value will never be higher...if we can get a 2nd or 3rd for him I'd be totally pumped, either from a contender (Broncos? Colts?) or a team that has no corners (Raiders? Lions?)...plus then we'll see if Wilson can make further improvements and focus on locking up Revis since it would then be a necessity...also we would be able to see what we have in Berry or Trufant as a full time nickel corner
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2013 6:52 PM

RE: Revis 


If we're selling high on CBs, it's Cro who has to go.

If we're looking for max return, it's Revis, albeit for a fraction of what he was worth before the injury.

If we're trying to get rid of the weakest link, of course it's Wilson, whose max value was achieved on draft day (it's been all downhill since).
_______________________________________________________________________

"The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even knew existed."
-Casey Stengel

Last edited 1/11/2013 6:52 PM by vinluvr

Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2013 7:12 PM

Re: Revis 


If we trade Cro & Revis isn't the same/reinjures the knee like the Giants cb did we'll be in a lot of trouble. Also would be the worst thing to happen to the new gm.
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2013 7:16 PM

Re: Revis 



football51 wrote: If we trade Cro & Revis isn't the same/reinjures the knee like the Giants cb did we'll be in a lot of trouble. Also would be the worst thing to happen to the new gm.
True. He'll have to place his trust in Revis' commitment to rehab and to the current state of knee reconstruction art (and science). Seeing how AP came back, that might not be such a stretch as it used to be.
_______________________________________________________________________

"The Mets have shown me more ways to lose than I even knew existed."
-Casey Stengel

Posted: 1/11/2013 7:36 PM

Re: Revis 



football51 wrote: If we trade Cro & Revis isn't the same/reinjures the knee like the Giants cb did we'll be in a lot of trouble. Also would be the worst thing to happen to the new gm.


and if we trade revis and cro isn't the cro we saw in 2012, we are in just as much trouble.

personally i don't trade revis unless blown away by some offer.  revis probably brings back the most...but that's because revis offers the most as the best CB in the nfl.  cro had a very strong year. revis is the better player.

i think looking at the value, you need to also include value of what you keep.  i think from today until they both retire, revis will be the better player, and he's the one i'd prefer to be on the jets.

i'd rather not have to trade either, but if i had to pick one, i'd trade cromartie.

Posted: 1/11/2013 8:45 PM

Re: Revis 



hobson54 wrote:
football51 wrote: If we trade Cro & Revis isn't the same/reinjures the knee like the Giants cb did we'll be in a lot of trouble. Also would be the worst thing to happen to the new gm.


and if we trade revis and cro isn't the cro we saw in 2012, we are in just as much trouble.

personally i don't trade revis unless blown away by some offer.  revis probably brings back the most...but that's because revis offers the most as the best CB in the nfl.  cro had a very strong year. revis is the better player.

i think looking at the value, you need to also include value of what you keep.  i think from today until they both retire, revis will be the better player, and he's the one i'd prefer to be on the jets.

i'd rather not have to trade either, but if i had to pick one, i'd trade cromartie.
not me........ I would trade Revis.  Revis has a penchant for getting hurt, and being a contractual pain in the ass......  and personally although I like em both, I like Cro daddy better.  I will be very interested to see (if both are with us next year), which one the opposition goes after..... Im betting it will be Revis, and I don't think he will be the same player after the knee injury

Posted: 1/11/2013 8:50 PM

Re: Revis 


I wouldn't say Revis is consistently hurt at all.  He had a badly pulled hamstring because he sat out.  Last year was a freak injury and our strength coach got fired, so that does that tell you about his program.  With all due respect to Cromartie, who is an excellent player, when Revis is healthy, he is a Hall of Fame CB, and maybe one of the two or three best to ever play that position.  Cromartie is a Pro Bowl caliber corner.  If Revis comes back 100%, he is the best defensive player in the league, period.  We should keep them both.

Posted: 1/11/2013 9:02 PM

Re: Revis 



LIJETFAN wrote: I wouldn't say Revis is consistently hurt at all.  He had a badly pulled hamstring because he sat out.  Last year was a freak injury and our strength coach got fired, so that does that tell you about his program.  With all due respect to Cromartie, who is an excellent player, when Revis is healthy, he is a Hall of Fame CB, and maybe one of the two or three best to ever play that position.  Cromartie is a Pro Bowl caliber corner.  If Revis comes back 100%, he is the best defensive player in the league, period.  We should keep them both.
Me too, but only if Revis signs an extension this summer.
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2013 9:24 PM

Re: Revis 



football51 wrote: If we trade Cro & Revis isn't the same/reinjures the knee like the Giants cb did we'll be in a lot of trouble. Also would be the worst thing to happen to the new gm.
Terrell Thomas was coming off his 2nd ACL tear and ended up with a 3rd...this is only Revis' first ACL tear
Avatar

Posted: 1/11/2013 9:29 PM

Re: Revis 



LIJETFAN wrote: I wouldn't say Revis is consistently hurt at all.  He had a badly pulled hamstring because he sat out.  Last year was a freak injury and our strength coach got fired, so that does that tell you about his program.  With all due respect to Cromartie, who is an excellent player, when Revis is healthy, he is a Hall of Fame CB, and maybe one of the two or three best to ever play that position.  Cromartie is a Pro Bowl caliber corner.  If Revis comes back 100%, he is the best defensive player in the league, period.  We should keep them both.
We should keep them both, if possible...but with the amount of talent infusion this team needs the Jets should definitely jump on an offer for a 2nd or 3rd for Cromartie...Wilson needs to give us some return for that 1st round pick we took him with instead of just being a nickel corner...

And while Revis may not be hurt a lot, he does get some minor injuries that linger...the contractual pain in the butt part though, is right on...Revis is my favorite player, he wears my favorite number but he is a total jerk when it comes to contract things (in particular this summer when he was hinting at ANOTHER holdout), is it worth hamstringing this franchise for 6 or more years just to have Revis on the team?  No...so he has to take a reasonable deal, not saying he needs to take some cheap below market deal but I don't think he should get more than 12-13 mil per year...hopefully there wont be as much hostility b/w him and the new GM though like there was b/w him and Tanny, I love Revis but if he was going to walk anyway and didn't want an extension, I'd easily trade him for a 1st

Last edited 1/11/2013 9:31 PM by ILDUCE24

Avatar

Posted: 1/12/2013 1:15 PM

Re: Revis 


being devils advocate   I dont think anyone is going to give a one for Revis before he ever steps on the field again and can prove something  and no way in hell a 1st and a 3rd..

a healthy Brandon Marshall only garnered 2 3rds last year..as as much a Marshall is deemed a pain in the butt..Revis and his contract stuff was not and will not be easy
JETS 2014 AFC EAST CHAMPS

Posted: 1/12/2013 2:25 PM

Re: Revis 




---------------------------------------------
--- jetfandreamer wrote:

being devils advocate   I dont think anyone is going to give a one for Revis before he ever steps on the field again and can prove something  and no way in hell a 1st and a 3rd..

a healthy Brandon Marshall only garnered 2 3rds last year..as as much a Marshall is deemed a pain in the butt..Revis and his contract stuff was not and will not be easy

---------------------------------------------

People just saw what AP did coming off the same injury...Revis is the AP on defense. I disagree with you. Revis 1 year after the injury is worth 2 1st rd picks. This will be the only time in Revis' career you can get him for a 1st rd pick...all teams know that.

Posted: 1/12/2013 2:35 PM

Re: Revis 


You don't trade HOF players from your roster while they are in their prime unless you get an insane offer or all is lost during contract negotiations.


I don't care if he's a massive pain in the ass.... he's a once in a generation CB.  We haven't seen anyone as dominant as him since Deon Sanders.






Avatar

Posted: 1/12/2013 2:42 PM

Re: Revis 



broadwayjoe2 wrote: You don't trade HOF players from your roster while they are in their prime unless you get an insane offer or all is lost during contract negotiations.


I don't care if he's a massive pain in the ass.... he's a once in a generation CB.  We haven't seen anyone as dominant as him since Deon Sanders.
I agree with everything you posted, but i think the problem may ultimately be that all is lost in contract negotiations. He's the top paid corner now at $11 mil per. Supposedly(who knows if true, but his history doesn't help him), Revis wants QB money and there's no way to justify that cap wise.

Posted: 1/12/2013 2:51 PM

Re: Revis 




---------------------------------------------
--- football51 wrote:


broadwayjoe2 wrote: You don't trade HOF players from your roster while they are in their prime unless you get an insane offer or all is lost during contract negotiations.


I don't care if he's a massive pain in the ass.... he's a once in a generation CB.  We haven't seen anyone as dominant as him since Deon Sanders.
I agree with everything you posted, but i think the problem may ultimately be that all is lost in contract negotiations. He's the top paid corner now at $11 mil per. Supposedly(who knows if true, but his history doesn't help him), Revis wants QB money and there's no way to justify that cap wise.

---------------------------------------------

Agreed-one of the first big tests of the new GM will be Revis. Either you sign him before 2013, or you trade him before he decides to play out the season on his current deal and goes FA. Then the Jets will get nothing for him.
Avatar

Posted: 1/12/2013 5:38 PM

Re: Revis 



parcells123 wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- football51 wrote:


broadwayjoe2 wrote: You don't trade HOF players from your roster while they are in their prime unless you get an insane offer or all is lost during contract negotiations.


I don't care if he's a massive pain in the ass.... he's a once in a generation CB.  We haven't seen anyone as dominant as him since Deon Sanders.
I agree with everything you posted, but i think the problem may ultimately be that all is lost in contract negotiations. He's the top paid corner now at $11 mil per. Supposedly(who knows if true, but his history doesn't help him), Revis wants QB money and there's no way to justify that cap wise.

---------------------------------------------

Agreed-one of the first big tests of the new GM will be Revis. Either you sign him before 2013, or you trade him before he decides to play out the season on his current deal and goes FA. Then the Jets will get nothing for him.
Incorrect, they'll get a 3rd round compensatory pick for him if he walks in free agency...but yes, you either need to re-sign him during the season (or right before the regular season after pre-season), take the risk and re-sign him in the exclusivity period before free agency or trade him before the trade deadline in 2013

Remember...Revis did say he knows he has to go back on the field and prove he is healthy before he can get his new deal, so we should be able to work something out before he hits free agency

Last edited 1/12/2013 5:41 PM by ILDUCE24

Post New Topic
  Page of 86  Next >