Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Saban

Posted: 12/11/2012 11:07 AM

OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Saban 


Cleveland Browns are in the process of trying to hire NFL Network analyst Michael Lombardi as GM, a former executive with five different NFL teams. And if that takes place, there's a chance that Lombardi and Banner would find a new head coach to manage the on-field product.

Greg Bedard of the Boston Globe reports that there is "fire behind that smoke," regarding Lombardi potentially being hired by Cleveland. Furthermore, Bedard reports that there is a possibility that if Lombardi is hired, he may bring current University of Alabama HC Nick Saban on as his choice to take on that job with Cleveland. According to what sources have revealed to the scribe, Saban would only return to the NFL if Lombardi was the man with whom he'd be working as his personnel guy.

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/features/rumors/_/d ate/20121210

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 11:33 AM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 


And of course, we play the AFC North next year...

"We want guys who will play like a Jet"  John Idzik, GM of the New York Jets

Locally responsive, Globally engaged.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 1:36 PM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 


We should be scared of Nick Saban, seriously?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 1:50 PM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 



OleDrewBudd wrote: We should be scared of Nick Saban, seriously?
Only if he brings his alabama players to the games.  Not so scared of his browns players.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 2:44 PM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 


I personally don't care for Nick Saban, I think he is a cocky SOB; however, he is one of the best College HC of All-Time, and he defiantly is the best recruiter of talent.

Oh yeah, I seriously doubt he will leave his throne in Alabama for ownership or to become the HC with the Browns. Cleveland is not very sexy for his wife & family.

Go Jets...Cyborg
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/11/2012 4:02 PM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 


BIIIIIIIIG difference running a college program where its' steength lies in the talent recruited in bulk versus managing gameday decisions vs similar talent WEEK AFTER WEEK. Did anyone catch his 1st half clock management skills in the SEC title game? Did he think he gets a rebate at halftime for unused timeouts? Nick Saban has a lot to prove at the pro level.......something I bet he feels himself.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/11/2012 4:03 PM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 


the guy I would be curious to see at the pro level is Urban Meyers. I'm no fan in particular of him, but the guy wins at every stop with varying levels of talent streams. There is something to be said for that....
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 10:22 PM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 



Seaver wrote: the guy I would be curious to see at the pro level is Urban Meyers. I'm no fan in particular of him, but the guy wins at every stop with varying levels of talent streams. There is something to be said for that....
+1 Agree, I think Urban would do very well in the NFL like the Harbaugh brother's.

Go Jets...Cyborg
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/11/2012 10:29 PM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 



cysporsche wrote:
Seaver wrote: the guy I would be curious to see at the pro level is Urban Meyers. I'm no fan in particular of him, but the guy wins at every stop with varying levels of talent streams. There is something to be said for that....
+1 Agree, I think Urban would do very well in the NFL like the Harbaugh brother's.

Go Jets...Cyborg
I'm still interested to see how Kelly will do as an NFL head coach.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/12/2012 7:40 AM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 



Jetman55 wrote:
cysporsche wrote:
Seaver wrote: the guy I would be curious to see at the pro level is Urban Meyers. I'm no fan in particular of him, but the guy wins at every stop with varying levels of talent streams. There is something to be said for that....
+1 Agree, I think Urban would do very well in the NFL like the Harbaugh brother's.

Go Jets...Cyborg
I'm still interested to see how Kelly will do as an NFL head coach.
Which Kelly; the ND or Oregon coach?  I'm hearing that Chip Kelly is a pretty good bet to get a pro coaching job.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/12/2012 8:46 AM

Re: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick 


There goes Greg McElroynoidea..
Honestly, we're getting preoccupied with some other dismal franchise then our own.  This Jets team, as dysfunctional as it may seem has more upside than a Saban/Lombardi based club.
I'll take my Jets over the Browns ,who ever runs them, whether it be Mike Holmgren-Lombardi or even Peyton Manning.

*The pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty.*

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/12/2012 8:58 AM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 



jgrote wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:
cysporsche wrote:
Seaver wrote: the guy I would be curious to see at the pro level is Urban Meyers. I'm no fan in particular of him, but the guy wins at every stop with varying levels of talent streams. There is something to be said for that....
+1 Agree, I think Urban would do very well in the NFL like the Harbaugh brother's.

Go Jets...Cyborg
I'm still interested to see how Kelly will do as an NFL head coach.
Which Kelly; the ND or Oregon coach?  I'm hearing that Chip Kelly is a pretty good bet to get a pro coaching job.
Good call.  Chip with teh Ducks.  I'm reading the same stuff as you.  I think he comes out next year and think it would be cool if he landed here in Carolina with Williams and Stewart at RB and that offense.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/12/2012 5:38 PM

Re: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick 


Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/12/2012 5:51 PM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 



Jetman55 wrote:
cysporsche wrote:
Seaver wrote: the guy I would be curious to see at the pro level is Urban Meyers. I'm no fan in particular of him, but the guy wins at every stop with varying levels of talent streams. There is something to be said for that....
+1 Agree, I think Urban would do very well in the NFL like the Harbaugh brother's.

Go Jets...Cyborg
I'm still interested to see how Kelly will do as an NFL head coach.
I'm most curious how Rex will turn out as our Head Coach ?

Go Jets...Cyborg
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/12/2012 5:54 PM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 


Few Browns fans are excited about the prospect of Lombardi, regardless of what HC may be attached to him. Lombardi has an absolutely abysmal drafting record, much of that record coming while working for the Browns. A good portion of the fanbase really likes Heckert as the GM. A few weeks ago, I'd say most of the fanbase was ready to throw Shurmur out the door. A little winning streak has convinced some that he is making progress. I personally think his lack of personal accountability and terrible offensive system make him a bad fit. The Browns offensive personnel is far better suited to run the system the Jets ran in 2009-2010.

I for one hope the Browns bring in a coach that takes that approach. The Browns defense is young and could be something special if they add an elite pass rushing DE opposite Sheard. That pairs extremely well with solid O-line play, a power rushing game, and a play-action driven passing offense. The Browns o-line is not in the same league as the 2009 Jets (particularly in run-blocking), but the talent is there to pull it off. I don't expect the Browns to be world burners any time in the next few years, but they are at least primed to become relevant again if they draft competently. That's a big question mark if Lombardi is brought in though.

Last edited 12/12/2012 5:56 PM by Mercury529

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/13/2012 10:04 AM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 



Jetman55 wrote:
jgrote wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:
cysporsche wrote:
Seaver wrote: the guy I would be curious to see at the pro level is Urban Meyers. I'm no fan in particular of him, but the guy wins at every stop with varying levels of talent streams. There is something to be said for that....
+1 Agree, I think Urban would do very well in the NFL like the Harbaugh brother's.

Go Jets...Cyborg
I'm still interested to see how Kelly will do as an NFL head coach.
Which Kelly; the ND or Oregon coach?  I'm hearing that Chip Kelly is a pretty good bet to get a pro coaching job.
Good call.  Chip with teh Ducks.  I'm reading the same stuff as you.  I think he comes out next year and think it would be cool if he landed here in Carolina with Williams and Stewart at RB and that offense.
Chip Kelly = Steve Spurrier............in terms of bringing a gimmick offense to the NFL.  I don't see it working out......just my opinion.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/13/2012 10:14 AM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 



Seaver wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:
jgrote wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:
cysporsche wrote:
Seaver wrote: the guy I would be curious to see at the pro level is Urban Meyers. I'm no fan in particular of him, but the guy wins at every stop with varying levels of talent streams. There is something to be said for that....
+1 Agree, I think Urban would do very well in the NFL like the Harbaugh brother's.

Go Jets...Cyborg
I'm still interested to see how Kelly will do as an NFL head coach.
Which Kelly; the ND or Oregon coach?  I'm hearing that Chip Kelly is a pretty good bet to get a pro coaching job.
Good call.  Chip with teh Ducks.  I'm reading the same stuff as you.  I think he comes out next year and think it would be cool if he landed here in Carolina with Williams and Stewart at RB and that offense.
Chip Kelly = Steve Spurrier............in terms of bringing a gimmick offense to the NFL.  I don't see it working out......just my opinion.

...the Patriots are running that system.  Just an FYI.  Josh Daniels runs the Chip Kelly offense.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/13/2012 10:32 AM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 



Jetman55 wrote:
Seaver wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:
jgrote wrote:
Jetman55 wrote:
cysporsche wrote:
Seaver wrote: the guy I would be curious to see at the pro level is Urban Meyers. I'm no fan in particular of him, but the guy wins at every stop with varying levels of talent streams. There is something to be said for that....
+1 Agree, I think Urban would do very well in the NFL like the Harbaugh brother's.

Go Jets...Cyborg
I'm still interested to see how Kelly will do as an NFL head coach.
Which Kelly; the ND or Oregon coach?  I'm hearing that Chip Kelly is a pretty good bet to get a pro coaching job.
Good call.  Chip with teh Ducks.  I'm reading the same stuff as you.  I think he comes out next year and think it would be cool if he landed here in Carolina with Williams and Stewart at RB and that offense.
Chip Kelly = Steve Spurrier............in terms of bringing a gimmick offense to the NFL.  I don't see it working out......just my opinion.

...the Patriots are running that system.  Just an FYI.  Josh Daniels runs the Chip Kelly offense.
I heard that BB has contacted Kelly and has great regard for his running schemes.  The 'Ole Ball Coach's' passing scheme's were an abject failure in the pros nearly getting a couple of his QBs killed and or ruined (see Heath Shuler).
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 1:30 AM

Re: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick 


Lombardi bothers me for a few reasons.

1.) His big claim to fame is he was Dead Al's coffee go-fer in the early 2000s.
Everyone knows Dead Al would no more let anyone pick his draft selections than he would kiss the Commissioner's ring finger without trying to steal the ring.
By and large the 2001 Tuck Rule team & the 2002 Raiders SB team were typical Davis draft picks coached to a high level by Chuckie Gruden.
I hear Lombardi can make a hella cuppa joe though.

2.) As consultant to Lurie in PHI in 1997 & senior pro personnel director in 1998, formerly double-digit winners for a decade - PHI - put up records of (6-9-1) & (3-13).
As soon as they ran him off in (5-11) 1999, they recovered and went on a 5 year run under Andy Reid that saw them in a streak of 5 consecutive 11+ win seasons, 4 consecutive NFCC games and a Super Bowl.
Lombardi picking talent vs Reid picking talent - the illustration couldn't be clearer.

3.) In CLE from 1987-1996 his work dragged a team that had appeared in consecutive AFCC games in '86 & '87 & another in '89, down to oblivion and mired in 3,5,6, & 7 wins finishes. (1 winning season in 6, from '90-'95.)
So miserable in fact, that Modell packed up and left town with the team after Lombardi's swath of destruction.

4.) SF had an incredible string of playoff appearances and victories from 1981 through 1998.
In that 18 year span the 49ers missed just 2 post-seasons and never (*see footnote) failed to win at least one playoff game except in ONE season - 1995, when they had the misfortune to get GB as the division week opponent.
(*There WAS one other period in that 18 year stretch when SF did not win at least one playoff game - a 3 year stretch from 1985-1987, when none other than Michael Lombardi was Area Scout, where he was responsible for the west region from Texas to California, reported to head coach Bill Walsh and assistant coaches in all matters of college scouting, and supplied information for use during the NFL draft.)
Need I REALLY draw the "oh, so obvious" conclusion from that pair of FACTS?

5.) Reading Lombardi's columns is instructive.
If he says something is true, you KNOW - to within an 89% degree of accuracy - it is FALSE.
His predictions are consistently the worst of any NFL.com/ESPN commentator.
So far as I know, the Latin phrase "mea culpa", (ma' baaaad - in Ebonics), is not in his limited vocabulary - thereby proving he doesn't even speak the language of his family's mother country & drawing into question if his paterfamilias is even Lombardi.

6.) He is content to trade on his famous surname, even though he is in no way related to St. Vince Lombardi, the coach.
I actually PERSONALLY spent more than a few days doing a genealogical search on the famous Lombardi family, back over 150 years, to prove that.
Couldn't even turn up a bastard son or daughter to make a connection between the 2 Lombardi family trees.
Then I had someone who was attending an NFL event with Michael Lombardi ask him in person if he was related.
Lombardi did NOT even answer the question, he simply smiled a little and made a hasty exit from the conversation, according to my questioner, (another professional sports writer and editor of an official NFL team magazine.)

If he is signed to manage CLE, they can look forward to a series of losing seasons even worse than the past 2 decades worth.
HYATT™

Last edited 12/16/2012 1:42 AM by HYATT

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 2:16 AM

RE: OT: Browns making moves in front office to bring in Nick Sab 


Wow, I had no idea Michael Lombardi had cut such a path of destruction through his journey in the NFL. It's almost as if his mere presence brings about failure on the field.

Jets & Hawkeyes. I must enjoy torturing myself. >.<
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >