Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Eli Comeback

Avatar

Posted: 7/17/2014 9:24 AM

Eli Comeback 


Changing scheme may help Eli this year.  It sure helped Rivers.  San Diego made some big changes from 2012 and it proved to be effective in 2013.  Let's hope the Giants get similar results this year....noidea
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/17/2014 8:41 PM

Re: Eli Comeback 


Well the new scheme seems to help Eli out because he should 1) be on the same page as his receivers, 2) get the ball out far more quicker, and 3) not have to rely on a possible suspect offensive line for protection.

The receivers aren't going to have to read where defenders are playing and won't have to think as much like they did with Gilbride. Both the receivers and Eli should know where they are going with the ball.

The only things us fans need to worry about Eli is with mechanics. Bad throws and throwing off his back foot have lead to some bad turnovers for Eli in recent years.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/17/2014 9:51 PM

Re: Eli Comeback 


I still remember Eli looking good in the no huddle over the years.  A lot of us wondered why it was not used more, especially when the offense was totally ineffective.  I think the fears that Eli can not adjust to a new, faster paced offense will be forgotten when he comes out and shines with the new O.  The more I think about it, the more I am getting excited about this season.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/17/2014 9:52 PM

Re: Eli Comeback 


I think for the offense this year as a whole it is going to be very interesting. I had been down on KG for the past 3 seasons for what seemed to be a very predictable offense that failed to adjust and always seemed slow to get going.  I was reading an article on NFL.com that was making an argument for Eli being listed in the top 10 dependable QBs and one of the "for" arguments was all the 4th qtr comebacks he has made, a part of me was like yeah but the other part of me felt that they kinda dug themselves into early graves with their lackluster performance for 3 qtrs. so they had to turn it up. I still think regardless of the offensive game plan, Eli still needs to play smarter, sure some of his Ints were probably miss reads, but s decent amount were just boneheaded decisions by Eli. Don't get me wrong, I am damned glad he is our QB and I think he has the potential to propel himself back to the cream of the crop as far as QBs go and I think or at least I hope the new changes will be just what the Dr. ordered.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/17/2014 10:45 PM

Re: Eli Comeback 



Tupperlake wrote: Changing scheme may help Eli this year.  It sure helped Rivers.  San Diego made some big changes from 2012 and it proved to be effective in 2013.  Let's hope the Giants get similar results this year....noidea
Wrong.  If you read the interview with Rivers last year, he stated that the new HC was "respectful" of the offense, and the changes were mostly in terminology.  The improvement was due to a healthy Gates for the first time in several years.  Woodhead.  A healthy Matthews.  He carried 100 times in the last four games all for positive yardage.  There was also a pretty decent receiver.  It was improved personnel not some amazing improved offense.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/18/2014 8:58 PM

Re: Eli Comeback 



Fan1938 wrote:
Tupperlake wrote: Changing scheme may help Eli this year.  It sure helped Rivers.  San Diego made some big changes from 2012 and it proved to be effective in 2013.  Let's hope the Giants get similar results this year....noidea
Wrong.  If you read the interview with Rivers last year, he stated that the new HC was "respectful" of the offense, and the changes were mostly in terminology.  The improvement was due to a healthy Gates for the first time in several years.  Woodhead.  A healthy Matthews.  He carried 100 times in the last four games all for positive yardage.  There was also a pretty decent receiver.  It was improved personnel not some amazing improved offense.
Ok so all we needed to do is take last years roster into this year, healthy of course, and everything would have been fine.  KG's offense and another year of the same OL, Wr's, and TE's would have been enough for success.  Sorry I disagree.  We needed lots of changes and I hope the brain trust has made the right ones!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/18/2014 10:53 PM

Re: Eli Comeback 



Tupperlake wrote:
Fan1938 wrote:
Tupperlake wrote: Changing scheme may help Eli this year.  It sure helped Rivers.  San Diego made some big changes from 2012 and it proved to be effective in 2013.  Let's hope the Giants get similar results this year....noidea
Wrong.  If you read the interview with Rivers last year, he stated that the new HC was "respectful" of the offense, and the changes were mostly in terminology.  The improvement was due to a healthy Gates for the first time in several years.  Woodhead.  A healthy Matthews.  He carried 100 times in the last four games all for positive yardage.  There was also a pretty decent receiver.  It was improved personnel not some amazing improved offense.
Ok so all we needed to do is take last years roster into this year, healthy of course, and everything would have been fine.  KG's offense and another year of the same OL, Wr's, and TE's would have been enough for success.  Sorry I disagree.  We needed lots of changes and I hope the brain trust has made the right ones!!
Nonsense reply.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/19/2014 12:38 AM

Re: Eli Comeback 


Fan1938 and Tupperlake, I am confused on what you are disagreeing on.  It seems to me that within this conversation there is a need for clarity about what Eli is coming back from.  My take:

1.  In my mind a successful comeback would be cutting his interceptions in half; getting his completion percentage back to 62%; and his overall QB rating back to 93%.
2.  In order to accomplish the above, there needed to be a more flexible scheme and more importantly the OL needed to become competent.  In addition, an overall talent and durability upgrade was sorely needed throughout the team. Fortunately, the Giants were in a very good CAP situation and hopefully the talent that they brought in via free agency and the draft will provide an upgrade in talent and player durability.
3.  The KG scheme required a very competent pass protecting OL and receivers that could read the defense and adjust their routes accordingly.  
4.  When KG's scheme worked it got tremendous results and in concert with an effective defense brought home two SB trophies.  However, even in the most successful years, the success was very streaky.  In addition, there was something fundamentally missing that caused the lost of one player (Plax) to undermine what should have been a very successful season (2008). 
5.  It seems to me that both of you (fan1938 and Tupperlake) have identified what is needed in terms of improved personnel surrounding Eli (whether that means a player returning to health or addition of new talent) and a change of scheme that simplifies the responsibilities of receivers.  A key change in the scheme will require Eli to be more competent in the short passing game and executing the screen pass which in conjunction with a return of an effective run game will hopefully open up opportunities for the long ball which is Eli's strength.  All of which will hopefully achieve the objectives cited in #1 above.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/19/2014 7:16 AM

Re: Eli Comeback 


My original post was a basically a comment about the article about Rivers that I had linked to.  Specifically the paragraph about scheme.

"San Diego experienced dramatic turnover on its coaching staff, losing all but two offensive coaches from 2012 to 2013. A new scheme saw Rivers release the ball more quickly, taking what defenses gave him. "

IMO the changes SD made from 2012 to 2013 as far coaching and scheme changes worked very well for Rivers.  We have made similar changes for 2014 and I am hoping that Eli rebounds from the worst year of his career.

The reasons for the last year and a half of bad offensive football have been hashed and rehashed over and over.  I am just trying to be a little bit positive about next season. 
Reply | Quote