Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings?

Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 11:46 AM

So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


    What's your connection to Minnesota and the Vikings?

  1. Poll closed on 07/12/2014
  2. Born, raised, and still live in Minnesota: 18 votes
  3. Raised in MN, but live elsewhere now: 30 votes
  4. Never been there, just a Vikings fan: 17 votes
  5. Vacationed or spent time there, but never lived in MN: 17 votes
  6. Other: 25 votes
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 12:28 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


When we lost to the steelers in the Superbowl I swore eternal allegiance.

I've only been in Minnesota twice; once on a flight change, and the other to see Jared Allen chase lion's QB's out of the end zone.

 

 

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 12:33 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


From California, I've been a Vikings fan since the early '70s. My only time in Minnesota was a weekend in Minneapolis for the 2001 Final Four. I was in the Metrodome for basketball games rather than a Vikings game.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 1:02 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


I was born and raised in Canada. I grew up loving Viking lore. I loved the Vikings as a child just because they were "Vikings", and because I loved the color purple.  When they brought in Bud Grant from the Winnipeg Blue Bombers, and then Joe Kapp from the B.C. Lions, that was it for me.  I was hooked, and have been an avid fan ever since.  I have never been to Minnesota, but will one day soon when they have the new stadium ready.


Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 1:38 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


Born and raised in MN.....Hope to retire somewhere warmer one day tonguetongue
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 2:22 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


Born and raised a Vikings fan. My dad and all his brothers Vikings fan and my grandpa is a Vikings fan. Grandpa use to take his boys to the old met stadium, my dad use to tell me his stories about going to the games. Now that I'm a father of three, its nice hearing my kids ask me when our the Vikings going to be on. we live in northwest Iowa. hopefully my kids can keep our Vikings in the family
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 3:39 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


I live in Massachusetts and have no geographical affiliation with the Vikings.  I remember when I was 5 or 6 I had an NFL coloring book, with all the teams logos and helmets, and I liked the Vikings and Rams best (hmm... maybe I just like horns?  Weird).  I also grew up reading a lot of Thor comic books, and always liked stories of Norse Mythology, so in my teen years when I started getting into sports I just sort of gravitated away from the local Patriots and started pulling for the Vikings.  Bad call on my part?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 3:52 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


Poor choices in the poll IMO. There are a lot of Viking fans who grew up in the surrounding region (SD, ND, IA) who never lived in MN.

For instance, I grew up in the Aberdeen and Sioux Falls areas in SD. The Vikings are one of the more regional fanbases in the NFL IMO.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 3:52 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 



Legion11 wrote: I live in Massachusetts and have no geographical affiliation with the Vikings.  I remember when I was 5 or 6 I had an NFL coloring book, with all the teams logos and helmets, and I liked the Vikings and Rams best (hmm... maybe I just like horns?  Weird).  I also grew up reading a lot of Thor comic books, and always liked stories of Norse Mythology, so in my teen years when I started getting into sports I just sort of gravitated away from the local Patriots and started pulling for the Vikings.  Bad call on my part?

Who needs superbowls when you can have a lifetime of bitter disappointment.



Kids can not eat footballs.

Last edited 7/6/2014 3:53 PM by Lindisfarne

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 4:26 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


I don't feel the choices are poor, there just should have been one more that said - lived outside of MN, but in a border state or region close by.  This poll was meant to invite conversation about where you come from, and how your allegiance to be Vikings came to be, with a geographical bent. I'm guessing, you, and those with similar situations selected the "other" category?    
Purple Berserker wrote: Poor choices in the poll IMO. There are a lot of Viking fans who grew up in the surrounding region (SD, ND, IA) who never lived in MN.

For instance, I grew up in the Aberdeen and Sioux Falls areas in SD. The Vikings are one of the more regional fanbases in the NFL IMO.

Last edited 7/6/2014 4:27 PM by purplePHX

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 5:08 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


My dad was living in the Twin Cities the year they got the team. I've been a Vikings fan since birth.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 5:31 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


Went to watch the Vikings in my home town New Haven, Connecticut. They played the Giants who were using Yale university's field as a home field until the meadowlands stadium was built for the Jets and Giants. We beat the Giants 31-7 that day. I was about 5 and just remember Chuck Foreman, Fran Tarkenton, the stripe, the purple. Been a fan ever since.

I've been to about 4 home games in the dome and road games in Miami, Washington, at NE, @ NYG x 2, @ NYJ

Last edited 7/6/2014 5:37 PM by LongCobra

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 6:48 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 



Lindisfarne wrote:
Legion11 wrote: I live in Massachusetts and have no geographical affiliation with the Vikings.  I remember when I was 5 or 6 I had an NFL coloring book, with all the teams logos and helmets, and I liked the Vikings and Rams best (hmm... maybe I just like horns?  Weird).  I also grew up reading a lot of Thor comic books, and always liked stories of Norse Mythology, so in my teen years when I started getting into sports I just sort of gravitated away from the local Patriots and started pulling for the Vikings.  Bad call on my part?

Who needs superbowls when you can have a lifetime of bitter disappointment.
Good call!  I definitely made the right decision.  Funny thing is, I follow the Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins - football is the only sport I deviated from the New England teams... whoops!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 6:50 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


born and raised in MN. lived there for 32 years before i moved south last year to escape winter.
"I choked." -- Brett Favre
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 7:17 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


Born in Michigan, but raised as a Viking fan by my Dad. We moved to Minnesota in 1989 and I still live here. :)
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 7:20 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


Palmer Pyle. Still the greatest!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!         rolleyes
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 7:36 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


Born in Minnesota.  Live in Florida.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 8:45 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


Born in Nepal. Started watching the Vikings since the 98 magic season the year I came to MN. Been a fan since then. When I visit Nepal, I give out Vikings t-shirts to friends and family.
Still live in MN.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/6/2014 9:06 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 





---------------------------------------------
--- Legion11 wrote:


Lindisfarne wrote:
Legion11 wrote: I live in Massachusetts and have no geographical affiliation with the Vikings.  I remember when I was 5 or 6 I had an NFL coloring book, with all the teams logos and helmets, and I liked the Vikings and Rams best (hmm... maybe I just like horns?  Weird).  I also grew up reading a lot of Thor comic books, and always liked stories of Norse Mythology, so in my teen years when I started getting into sports I just sort of gravitated away from the local Patriots and started pulling for the Vikings.  Bad call on my part?

Who needs superbowls when you can have a lifetime of bitter disappointment.
Good call!  I definitely made the right decision.  Funny thing is, I follow the Red Sox, Celtics, and Bruins - football is the only sport I deviated from the New England teams... whoops!

---------------------------------------------

Of course the Patriots sucked balls back in those days too. It was probably easy to deviate from them.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/6/2014 9:11 PM

Re: So What's Your Connection to Minnesota and the Vikings? 


I didn't choose the Vikings, they chose me.

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >