Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

Barr=Gholston

Posted: 7/3/2014 1:30 AM

Barr=Gholston 


I'm not saying Barr will have the same career as V. Gholston but his style and overall "hype" are really reminiscent...I've never posted a DRUNKEN prediction..but Barr will have 3-5 sacks this year and will be with us for 3-4 years.. hes let go after that
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 1:53 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


didn't Gholston move from DE in college to linebacker in the NFL?
"I choked." -- Brett Favre
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 2:09 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


I fear that you are going to be right.  I get nervous when you draft a linebacker for his athletic ability.  LB is one position that should really show up on college tape and Barr wasn't dominating in college.

Another thing that might not be fair is that I don't get the feeling from his interviews that he is is obsessed with football.  He seems like he is just going along to get along.  Compare that to Bridgewater who sounds all kinds of excited about playing football and getting better.  I hope we are dead wrong but I second the 3-5 sacks journeyman prediction.
Reply | Quote
  • OCVike
  • Member
  • 313 posts this site

Posted: 7/3/2014 2:43 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 



scp1215 wrote: I'm not saying Barr will have the same career as V. Gholston but his style and overall "hype" are really reminiscent...I've never posted a DRUNKEN prediction..but Barr will have 3-5 sacks this year and will be with us for 3-4 years.. hes let go after that

Good point.

It's things like these that make me think the Vikings should hire people whose full time job is to scout college football.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 3:01 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


His stats are close to Khalil Mack's stats.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 5:24 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


Gholston from OSU? I don't see them as the same type of player. Gholston always seemed a little stiff to me. Barr is more athletic, however, Gholston tested off the charts in some areas if I remember correctly.
Reply | Quote
  • Vikagra
  • Member
  • 7993 posts this site
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 6:41 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


the guy was a top 10 draft pick with freakish athleticism.  I am pretty sure our coaching staff has ideas of how to use him to get the most out of those abilities.  If he has 3-5 sacks this year I will be very happy as I don't predict him to be a full time starter his entire first year.  But I think you are gunning for a spot in the PT "told you so" Hall of Fame if you're predicting there is even a chance we will cut him after 3 years.  "Barr"ing (thank you.) injury he will have value to this team. This isnt Joe Webb, the late round draft pick with no position from Broken Arrow CC. This is a top 10 pick who played extremely well in limited time at his position in a major college.  I liken him to Patterson last year (Freakishly talented and still a bit raw).
scp1215 wrote: I'm not saying Barr will have the same career as V. Gholston but his style and overall "hype" are really reminiscent...I've never posted a DRUNKEN prediction..but Barr will have 3-5 sacks this year and will be with us for 3-4 years.. hes let go after that

Last edited 7/3/2014 8:24 AM by Vikagra

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 7:18 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


I worry about him being a Gholston.....

Hes a boom or bust prospect for sure.  These athletic freaks hit no more frequently than 50% and it might even be less than that.
....I've Been There Done That, Bought the T-Shirt .... Just Say'n, Do Some Research....

Last edited 7/3/2014 7:18 AM by PurplePounding

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 7:56 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


I didn't want Barr @ 9 for all the questions that have been raised for over the past year on him... There were a couple other D guys I would have thought they would pick before him.

But I'm hopeful.

This is Zimmers guy all the way...He obviously thinks he can coach him up.

Be nice to have a difference maker @ LB again...noidea
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 8:07 AM

I hear ya guys > Crichton could be the steal of the draft 


The thing that worries me the most about Barr, is he would have been perfect fit as an OLB/DE in a 3-4. I recognize that the Viking coaching and scouting staff obviously knows way, way more about these kids than we do. But I would be lying if I did not have some concerns. I actually think that the D-end from Oregon State, Scott Crichton is going to be the sleeper that has a more productive NFL career.


Leila Arcieri poster Z1G79102

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 8:08 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 



sevendust0305 wrote: His stats are close to Khalil Mack's stats.
Better than the #1 overall as well.

There is your bust if you want to keep score...
bong.gif

All great men are misunderstood in their time, this just happens to be my time...
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 9:28 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


I do have concerns as well about Barr.

But this was not some dude who was a bum in college. He produced elite stats while playing as a raw LBer. That is reason for hope. It's not like he was an unproductive college player who got picked due to combine numbers. His rawness is from the fact that he's still learning the LBer position, but he was still pretty d@mn productive.


Let the games begin!!!

Last edited 7/3/2014 9:28 AM by moorhead

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 10:09 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


I don't understand all of the concern.

Mike Zimmer was hired because he is a defensive genius.  In his first draft he targeted one guy, Anthony Barr, because he saw enough to build his first draft/first defense as a head coach around him.

I guess that's good enough for me.
Photobucket
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 10:37 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


What it comes down to is desire.   I watch a lot of big ten football and I do not remember Gholston being a game wrecker like Barr has been the last two years.


http://www.sports-reference.co...ony-barr-1.html

Barr's two years as a starter produced:

149 tackles, 41.5 for loss, 23.5 sacks and 10 forced fumbles

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2014/...barr?id=2543459


http://www.sports-reference.co...gholston-1.html

Gholston's two years as a starter produced:

86 tackles, 30.5 for loss, 22.5 sacks, 1 int, and NO forced fumbles

http://www.nfl.com/combine/pro...gholston?id=756
KTM Six Days photo: ktm 300 exc six days 2012 ktm300excsixdays2012.jpg
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 7/3/2014 11:22 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


I have some comments and questions on this thread.

 

scp1215 - I'm not saying Barr will have the same career as V. Gholston but his style and overall "hype" are really reminiscent...I've never posted a DRUNKEN prediction..but Barr will have 3-5 sacks this year and will be with us for 3-4 years.. hes let go after that

 

How is Barr’s style the same as Gholston’s? And aren't all top ten draft picks hyped?

 

hauts81 - didn't Gholston move from DE in college to linebacker in the NFL?

Yes, he did play conventional DE at OSU, and tried to make the conversion to NFL outside LB in a 3-4. At OSU Gholston played mostly in a three point stance with a hand to the ground, something Barr didn't do at UCLA. 

 

DBurzon - I fear that you are going to be right.  I get nervous when you draft a linebacker for his athletic ability.  LB is one position that should really show up on college tape and Barr wasn't dominating in college.

Another thing that might not be fair is that I don't get the feeling from his interviews that he is is obsessed with football.  He seems like he is just going along to get along.  Compare that to Bridgewater who sounds all kinds of excited about playing football and getting better.  I hope we are dead wrong but I second the 3-5 sacks journeyman prediction.

 

When do you want a LB who doesn't have athletic ability? Barr was actually very dominating in college, with as good or better numbers across the board as Jadeveon Clowney. As a junior at UCLA Barr led the nation in sacks, I don’t know how a player can be more dominating than that. Barr was also voted his team’s most valuable defensive player.

I get a completely different vibe from his interviews, he really seems to want to do well, and appears motivated and dedicated to learning and getting better. Said he wants to be the best.

 

OCVike - It's things like these that make me think the Vikings should hire people whose full time job is to scout college football.

 

Seriously, you don’t think the Vikings have a full-time college football scout? News flash, they have a whole department dedicated to doing just that. 

 

PurplePounding - Hes a boom or bust prospect for sure.  These athletic freaks hit no more frequently than 50% and it might even be less than that.

 

What is the definition of athletic freak? And where do you come up with the 50 percent or less figure? Is that a real stat you found, or just a guess? I think the term “athletic freak” seems to discount the intelligence a guy like Barr has, who scored a 28 on the Wonderlic test. As opposed to the athletic freak Jadeveon Clowney who scored a 14 on the test. 

 

Purplefaithful - I didn't want Barr @ 9 for all the questions that have been raised for over the past year on him... There were a couple other D guys I would have thought they would pick before him.

 

What are the questions that have been raised over the past year about Barr? The one that comes to mind is – Barr is inexperienced because he’s played only two years at LB in college. Beyond that, what are the questions? Do they all stem from the inexperience thing?

 

Wolverine - The thing that worries me the most about Barr, is he would have been perfect fit as an OLB/DE in a 3-4. I recognize that the Viking coaching and scouting staff obviously knows way, way more about these kids than we do. But I would be lying if I did not have some concerns. I actually think that the D-end from Oregon State, Scott Crichton is going to be the sleeper that has a more productive NFL career.

 

Zimmer is going to be using a base 4-3 scheme, but also 3-4 schemes incorporated, as well as other formations…Zim’s forte is disguise, and sending pressure from all different areas. Which should be an ideal fit for Barr, because Zimmer wants to move Barr around and utilize his physical skills all over the field.   

Last edited 7/3/2014 11:23 AM by purplePHX

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 11:43 AM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


This.

How can I add anything to this? OK, I won't. Spot on.


Artzor wrote: I don't understand all of the concern.

Mike Zimmer was hired because he is a defensive genius.  In his first draft he targeted one guy, Anthony Barr, because he saw enough to build his first draft/first defense as a head coach around him.

I guess that's good enough for me.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 12:51 PM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


We could just as easily compare him to Chris Doleman. Who knows. But I do trust Zimmer when it comes to defensive linemen and linebackers. The guy knows his stuff.
Reply | Quote
  • GOVNER
  • Member
  • 148 posts this site

Posted: 7/3/2014 1:27 PM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


Spot on! All true and logical. Can only think that the author is trying to stirr something up. I think that Barr has more potential than Clowney.
purplePHX wrote:

I have some comments and questions on this thread.

 

scp1215 - I'm not saying Barr will have the same career as V. Gholston but his style and overall "hype" are really reminiscent...I've never posted a DRUNKEN prediction..but Barr will have 3-5 sacks this year and will be with us for 3-4 years.. hes let go after that

 

How is Barr’s style the same as Gholston’s? And aren't all top ten draft picks hyped?

 

hauts81 - didn't Gholston move from DE in college to linebacker in the NFL?

Yes, he did play conventional DE at OSU, and tried to make the conversion to NFL outside LB in a 3-4. At OSU Gholston played mostly in a three point stance with a hand to the ground, something Barr didn't do at UCLA. 

 

DBurzon - I fear that you are going to be right.  I get nervous when you draft a linebacker for his athletic ability.  LB is one position that should really show up on college tape and Barr wasn't dominating in college.

Another thing that might not be fair is that I don't get the feeling from his interviews that he is is obsessed with football.  He seems like he is just going along to get along.  Compare that to Bridgewater who sounds all kinds of excited about playing football and getting better.  I hope we are dead wrong but I second the 3-5 sacks journeyman prediction.

 

When do you want a LB who doesn't have athletic ability? Barr was actually very dominating in college, with as good or better numbers across the board as Jadeveon Clowney. As a junior at UCLA Barr led the nation in sacks, I don’t know how a player can be more dominating than that. Barr was also voted his team’s most valuable defensive player.

I get a completely different vibe from his interviews, he really seems to want to do well, and appears motivated and dedicated to learning and getting better. Said he wants to be the best.

 

OCVike - It's things like these that make me think the Vikings should hire people whose full time job is to scout college football.

 

Seriously, you don’t think the Vikings have a full-time college football scout? News flash, they have a whole department dedicated to doing just that. 

 

PurplePounding - Hes a boom or bust prospect for sure.  These athletic freaks hit no more frequently than 50% and it might even be less than that.

 

What is the definition of athletic freak? And where do you come up with the 50 percent or less figure? Is that a real stat you found, or just a guess? I think the term “athletic freak” seems to discount the intelligence a guy like Barr has, who scored a 28 on the Wonderlic test. As opposed to the athletic freak Jadeveon Clowney who scored a 14 on the test. 

 

Purplefaithful - I didn't want Barr @ 9 for all the questions that have been raised for over the past year on him... There were a couple other D guys I would have thought they would pick before him.

 

What are the questions that have been raised over the past year about Barr? The one that comes to mind is – Barr is inexperienced because he’s played only two years at LB in college. Beyond that, what are the questions? Do they all stem from the inexperience thing?

 

Wolverine - The thing that worries me the most about Barr, is he would have been perfect fit as an OLB/DE in a 3-4. I recognize that the Viking coaching and scouting staff obviously knows way, way more about these kids than we do. But I would be lying if I did not have some concerns. I actually think that the D-end from Oregon State, Scott Crichton is going to be the sleeper that has a more productive NFL career.

 

Zimmer is going to be using a base 4-3 scheme, but also 3-4 schemes incorporated, as well as other formations…Zim’s forte is disguise, and sending pressure from all different areas. Which should be an ideal fit for Barr, because Zimmer wants to move Barr around and utilize his physical skills all over the field.   

Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 1:44 PM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


I am pretty sure that OCVike's comment here was meant to be taken as sarcasm and not seriously.

OCVike
- It's things like these that make me think the Vikings should hire people whose full time job is to scout college football.

 

Seriously, you don’t think the Vikings have a full-time college football scout? News flash, they have a whole department dedicated to doing just that.
SkraelingHammer wrote: This.

How can I add anything to this? OK, I won't. Spot on.


Artzor wrote: I don't understand all of the concern.

Mike Zimmer was hired because he is a defensive genius.  In his first draft he targeted one guy, Anthony Barr, because he saw enough to build his first draft/first defense as a head coach around him.

I guess that's good enough for me.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/3/2014 1:47 PM

Re: Barr=Gholston 


I wasn't trying to stir anything, I was saying how I felt about Barr, albeit intoxicated.. I'm glad we have Zimmer as a coach because one the most prominent reasons for most people being ok with the Barr pick is because of him.  
GOVNER wrote: Spot on! All true and logical. Can only think that the author is trying to stirr something up. I think that Barr has more potential than Clowney.
purplePHX wrote:

I have some comments and questions on this thread.

 

scp1215 - I'm not saying Barr will have the same career as V. Gholston but his style and overall "hype" are really reminiscent...I've never posted a DRUNKEN prediction..but Barr will have 3-5 sacks this year and will be with us for 3-4 years.. hes let go after that

 

How is Barr’s style the same as Gholston’s? And aren't all top ten draft picks hyped?

 

hauts81 - didn't Gholston move from DE in college to linebacker in the NFL?

Yes, he did play conventional DE at OSU, and tried to make the conversion to NFL outside LB in a 3-4. At OSU Gholston played mostly in a three point stance with a hand to the ground, something Barr didn't do at UCLA. 

 

DBurzon - I fear that you are going to be right.  I get nervous when you draft a linebacker for his athletic ability.  LB is one position that should really show up on college tape and Barr wasn't dominating in college.

Another thing that might not be fair is that I don't get the feeling from his interviews that he is is obsessed with football.  He seems like he is just going along to get along.  Compare that to Bridgewater who sounds all kinds of excited about playing football and getting better.  I hope we are dead wrong but I second the 3-5 sacks journeyman prediction.

 

When do you want a LB who doesn't have athletic ability? Barr was actually very dominating in college, with as good or better numbers across the board as Jadeveon Clowney. As a junior at UCLA Barr led the nation in sacks, I don’t know how a player can be more dominating than that. Barr was also voted his team’s most valuable defensive player.

I get a completely different vibe from his interviews, he really seems to want to do well, and appears motivated and dedicated to learning and getting better. Said he wants to be the best.

 

OCVike - It's things like these that make me think the Vikings should hire people whose full time job is to scout college football.

 

Seriously, you don’t think the Vikings have a full-time college football scout? News flash, they have a whole department dedicated to doing just that. 

 

PurplePounding - Hes a boom or bust prospect for sure.  These athletic freaks hit no more frequently than 50% and it might even be less than that.

 

What is the definition of athletic freak? And where do you come up with the 50 percent or less figure? Is that a real stat you found, or just a guess? I think the term “athletic freak” seems to discount the intelligence a guy like Barr has, who scored a 28 on the Wonderlic test. As opposed to the athletic freak Jadeveon Clowney who scored a 14 on the test. 

 

Purplefaithful - I didn't want Barr @ 9 for all the questions that have been raised for over the past year on him... There were a couple other D guys I would have thought they would pick before him.

 

What are the questions that have been raised over the past year about Barr? The one that comes to mind is – Barr is inexperienced because he’s played only two years at LB in college. Beyond that, what are the questions? Do they all stem from the inexperience thing?

 

Wolverine - The thing that worries me the most about Barr, is he would have been perfect fit as an OLB/DE in a 3-4. I recognize that the Viking coaching and scouting staff obviously knows way, way more about these kids than we do. But I would be lying if I did not have some concerns. I actually think that the D-end from Oregon State, Scott Crichton is going to be the sleeper that has a more productive NFL career.

 

Zimmer is going to be using a base 4-3 scheme, but also 3-4 schemes incorporated, as well as other formations…Zim’s forte is disguise, and sending pressure from all different areas. Which should be an ideal fit for Barr, because Zimmer wants to move Barr around and utilize his physical skills all over the field.   

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >