Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >

Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel?

Avatar

Posted: 6/7/2014 6:04 PM

Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


Bridgewater is our future and hopefully our present before the season starts. If that's the case then Ponder or Cassel need to go. I see little difference between them besides the fact that we're paying Cassel a lot more money and Cassel is a lot older. Wouldn't it be smarter to trade Cassel for a higher draft pick than we could get for Ponder and maybe try to keep Ponder here as our #2? Then next year if Ponder still hasn't shown anything we draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round to develop behind Bridgewater.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/7/2014 6:11 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


I think Ponder will want out of here. If Cassell doesn't finish the season as the starter he will leave too.  I don't think either will be worth much unless there are some QB injuries this season.  Cassell could have left this offseason but I don't think teams were knocking on his door or if they did it was for backup role.

_______________________________________________________

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man." --
Jack Handy

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/7/2014 6:25 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


http://www.sportsworldreport.com/articles/30926/20 140606/nfl-trade-rumors-2014-ryan-mallett-kirk-cou sins-christian-ponder-dion-jordan-lamichael-james- denarius-moore-traded-before-training-camp.htm

This mentions a ponder trade rumor. Basically just mentions a couple of team interests

_---------------------------------------------------
Roll Tide. Take it back in 2014/15
Go SEC
Reply | Quote
  • Kintaro
  • Member
  • 6113 posts this site

Posted: 6/7/2014 7:30 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


I think everyone should really try to forget about Ponder.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/7/2014 7:40 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


Cassel was signed for 2 years at $5 mil each. No one would pay that unless they wanted him for starter. He will be the highest backup if Teddy starts. He is staying.

Ponder is cheaper but we didn't pick up his option for a reason. Good as gone just a matter of when.

Teddy was drafted 32 and our future at least next 3-4 seasons.

When you mentioned drafting another qb in 1st or 2nd round as Teddy backup you lost me. If Teddy pans out we have Cassel for 2 years and woukd find a cheap 3rd stringer. Lets face it if 1 and 2 are out we ain't winning anyway.

In 2 years if Teddy is still starting and Cassel FA we can resign him cheaper or find another cheap FA. At most we draft a late rounder on the cheap in a few years.


---------------------------------------------
--- vikingjedi wrote:

Bridgewater is our future and hopefully our present before the season starts. If that's the case then Ponder or Cassel need to go. I see little difference between them besides the fact that we're paying Cassel a lot more money and Cassel is a lot older. Wouldn't it be smarter to trade Cassel for a higher draft pick than we could get for Ponder and maybe try to keep Ponder here as our #2? Then next year if Ponder still hasn't shown anything we draft a QB in the 1st or 2nd round to develop behind Bridgewater.

---------------------------------------------
Vikings-Sooners-Thunder
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/7/2014 7:46 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


we aren't drafting a QB early next year unless something disastrous happens to Bridgewater. no way, no how.
"I choked." -- Brett Favre
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/7/2014 8:05 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


NO!!! Beating a dead horse...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/7/2014 8:15 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


Hell no. Keep Cassel and let Ponder go. We need a Vet to groom Bridgewater. Cassel is the perfect guy to do that whether he's starting or backing up Teddy. Ponder will need to go. I think we should roll with 2 QB's and let McKinnon serve as Emergency QB.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/7/2014 8:39 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


Here's a better idea, trade both Bridgewater and Cassel because THIS IS THE YEAR PONDER FINALLY WORKS OUT!!!!! eek1
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/7/2014 8:41 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 



Bawookles wrote: Here's a better idea, trade both Bridgewater and Cassel because THIS IS THE YEAR PONDER FINALLY WORKS OUT!!!!! eek1
+1
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/7/2014 8:42 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 



hauts81 wrote: we aren't drafting a QB early next year unless something disastrous happens to Bridgewater. no way, no how.

We need to be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round every year until somebody finally steps up. I have a lot of faith that Bridgewater will be the answer we've been looking for but a lot of people said the same thing about Ponder and TJack too while we wasted 8 years finding out they weren't. The Vikings need to be developing multiple QB's at the same time so we don't make that mistake again because right now we're starting from square 1 at QB for the 3rd time since 2006.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/7/2014 9:26 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


Thats a crazy idea. Top draft picks are important. You can't waste them on what ifs. Otherwise you get behind on other needs. After 2 years we'll have a good idea if Teddy is our guy.

TJ was not a top pick he was a gamble and we should have drafted qb the next year. Ponder was a reach but we could not draft another qb later due to needs.


---------------------------------------------
--- vikingjedi wrote:


hauts81 wrote: we aren't drafting a QB early next year unless something disastrous happens to Bridgewater. no way, no how.

We need to be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round every year until somebody finally steps up. I have a lot of faith that Bridgewater will be the answer we've been looking for but a lot of people said the same thing about Ponder and TJack too while we wasted 8 years finding out they weren't. The Vikings need to be developing multiple QB's at the same time so we don't make that mistake again because right now we're starting from square 1 at QB for the 3rd time since 2006.

---------------------------------------------
Vikings-Sooners-Thunder
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/7/2014 9:38 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


The Vikings have drafted a QB six of the last nine years.  Even if Bridgewater takes over and is the clear QB of the future they are still going to want to have cheap, talented backups.  

No matter what you think of Ponder & Cassel at most one of them will be on the roster in 2015.  They aren't going to want to pay FA rates for a journeyman to be #3 so the logical approach is to grab one in the draft wherever there is value (IMO mid rounds).  

That being said, I disagree with your original point.  It is very rare to trade a player you just signed to a multiyear deal (Cassel).  Unless approached delicately that can leave a bad taste in players/agents mouths and come back to bite you later.
vikingjedi wrote:
hauts81 wrote: we aren't drafting a QB early next year unless something disastrous happens to Bridgewater. no way, no how.

We need to be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round every year until somebody finally steps up. I have a lot of faith that Bridgewater will be the answer we've been looking for but a lot of people said the same thing about Ponder and TJack too while we wasted 8 years finding out they weren't. The Vikings need to be developing multiple QB's at the same time so we don't make that mistake again because right now we're starting from square 1 at QB for the 3rd time since 2006.

Last edited 6/7/2014 9:48 PM by MindTheGap

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/7/2014 11:03 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 



vikingjedi wrote:
hauts81 wrote: we aren't drafting a QB early next year unless something disastrous happens to Bridgewater. no way, no how.

We need to be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round every year until somebody finally steps up. I have a lot of faith that Bridgewater will be the answer we've been looking for but a lot of people said the same thing about Ponder and TJack too while we wasted 8 years finding out they weren't. The Vikings need to be developing multiple QB's at the same time so we don't make that mistake again because right now we're starting from square 1 at QB for the 3rd time since 2006.
New England has Brady and drafted Mallet, and this year Gropollo so.  I am not sure about first red every year.

_---------------------------------------------------
Roll Tide. Take it back in 2014/15
Go SEC
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/7/2014 11:15 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


Without a good QB leading us nothing else matters. Until we fix it we need to dedicate at least a 1st or 2nd round pick to finding that QB every draft IMO. Otherwise we're just continuing to fail year after year. We've been trying to solve the problem with scrubs for 30+ years now, that's why we haven't been back to the Superbowl since the 70's. It's not a coincidence our best shot came with Favre in 2009 and it's also why the Packers continue to dominate our division every year. Rodgers just might be the best QB in the NFL right now.

After we find that QB (hopefully it's Bridgewater) then we can build our team around them to make a run at a Superbowl championship. We have no shot of even getting close to one though without a good QB leading the way. 

plunderingpurple wrote: Thats a crazy idea. Top draft picks are important. You can't waste them on what ifs. Otherwise you get behind on other needs. After 2 years we'll have a good idea if Teddy is our guy.

TJ was not a top pick he was a gamble and we should have drafted qb the next year. Ponder was a reach but we could not draft another qb later due to needs.


---------------------------------------------
--- vikingjedi wrote:


hauts81 wrote: we aren't drafting a QB early next year unless something disastrous happens to Bridgewater. no way, no how.

We need to be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round every year until somebody finally steps up. I have a lot of faith that Bridgewater will be the answer we've been looking for but a lot of people said the same thing about Ponder and TJack too while we wasted 8 years finding out they weren't. The Vikings need to be developing multiple QB's at the same time so we don't make that mistake again because right now we're starting from square 1 at QB for the 3rd time since 2006.

---------------------------------------------

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/8/2014 12:04 AM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 



I agree with you. Probably not many do.

---------------------------------------------
--- vikingjedi wrote:

Without a good QB leading us nothing else matters. Until we fix it we need to dedicate at least a 1st or 2nd round pick to finding that QB every draft IMO. Otherwise we're just continuing to fail year after year. We've been trying to solve the problem with scrubs for 30+ years now, that's why we haven't been back to the Superbowl since the 70's. It's not a coincidence our best shot came with Favre in 2009 and it's also why the Packers continue to dominate our division every year. Rodgers just might be the best QB in the NFL right now.

After we find that QB (hopefully it's Bridgewater) then we can build our team around them to make a run at a Superbowl championship. We have no shot of even getting close to one though without a good QB leading the way. 

plunderingpurple wrote: Thats a crazy idea. Top draft picks are important. You can't waste them on what ifs. Otherwise you get behind on other needs. After 2 years we'll have a good idea if Teddy is our guy.

TJ was not a top pick he was a gamble and we should have drafted qb the next year. Ponder was a reach but we could not draft another qb later due to needs.


---------------------------------------------
--- vikingjedi wrote:


hauts81 wrote: we aren't drafting a QB early next year unless something disastrous happens to Bridgewater. no way, no how.

We need to be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round every year until somebody finally steps up. I have a lot of faith that Bridgewater will be the answer we've been looking for but a lot of people said the same thing about Ponder and TJack too while we wasted 8 years finding out they weren't. The Vikings need to be developing multiple QB's at the same time so we don't make that mistake again because right now we're starting from square 1 at QB for the 3rd time since 2006.

---------------------------------------------


---------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________________

"It takes a big man to cry, but it takes a bigger man to laugh at that man." --
Jack Handy

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/8/2014 2:08 AM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


The problem with that logic is that if Bridgewater is the guy then you are missing the opportunity to add impact players that would be instant starters in favor of drafting backup QBs who may never take a snap.

It seems like the market for trading for a young backup QB to be your starter has cooled after the flops of the past few years so its no guarantee that you'd be able to trade that newly drafted youngster for a haul a few years down the road..

That being said, >50% chance Vikings draft a QB next year but I do think it would be somewhere in rounds 3-6.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/8/2014 1:14 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


Glad front offices don't use this logic.


The tradition of bring in old Vets caught up with us, that IMO is why we haven't found our own guy.


---------------------------------------------
--- vikingjedi wrote:


hauts81 wrote: we aren't drafting a QB early next year unless something disastrous happens to Bridgewater. no way, no how.

We need to be drafting a QB in the 1st or 2nd round every year until somebody finally steps up. I have a lot of faith that Bridgewater will be the answer we've been looking for but a lot of people said the same thing about Ponder and TJack too while we wasted 8 years finding out they weren't. The Vikings need to be developing multiple QB's at the same time so we don't make that mistake again because right now we're starting from square 1 at QB for the 3rd time since 2006.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/8/2014 2:05 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 



MindTheGap wrote: The problem with that logic is that if Bridgewater is the guy then you are missing the opportunity to add impact players that would be instant starters in favor of drafting backup QBs who may never take a snap.

It seems like the market for trading for a young backup QB to be your starter has cooled after the flops of the past few years so its no guarantee that you'd be able to trade that newly drafted youngster for a haul a few years down the road..

That being said, >50% chance Vikings draft a QB next year but I do think it would be somewhere in rounds 3-6.
This is where I think. We have TaB, next year grab another maybe third round.they should have a goo d feel on TB by then as well. If they feel comfortable with TBbeing that stud, maybe drop down 4-6.

Maybe 2016  they may need to look  at looking  first or second if they have questions on TB,not next year

_---------------------------------------------------
Roll Tide. Take it back in 2014/15
Go SEC
Reply | Quote
  • wonka22
  • Member
  • 2276 posts this site

Posted: 6/8/2014 2:16 PM

Re: Would it be smarter to keep Ponder and trade Cassel? 


If I were Rick,I'd let the qb battle play itself out through camp and preseason,and if Ponder beats out Matt for either the #1,or #2 to TB,then I'd think about trading Matt.The Vikes are in a great position qb wise.They have two veterans who would start on half the teams in the league if they were there,and a franchise qb in Teddy in the wings.Even if it takes a year for Bridgewater to win the job or get the playbook down entirely,they will enter the year with by far the best overall qb depth chart bar-none.Teams are desperate just to fill their #2 position(see bears signing Clausen-LOL),yet we have 3 that are imho,starting caliber today on roster.Win-Win for us.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 4  Next >