Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Cam Wake holding out??

Posted: 4/10/2012 1:46 PM

Cam Wake holding out?? 


Source: Cameron Wake wants deal

Updated: April 10, 2012, 12:53 PM ET
ESPN.com news services

    Miami Dolphins pass-rusher Cameron Wake is seeking a new contract and was not present at the start of the team's voluntary offseason workout program Tuesday, a league source told ESPN NFL Insider Adam Schefter.

    Wake has one year and $650,00 left on his contract, but a source told Schefter that Wake doesn't plan to show up to workouts without a new deal.

    AFC East blog

    WalkerESPN.com's James Walker writes about all things AFC East in his division blog.

    Blog network: NFL Nation

     

     

    Wake's holdout is just the latest snag in a long offseason for Miami.

    Following the franchise's fourth straight below-.500 season, the Dolphins tried in vain to lure both quarterback Peyton Manning and high-profile coach Jeff Fisher to South Beach over the winter. The club also hosted free agent quarterbacks Alex Smith and Matt Flynn before they decided to sign elsewhere. The Dolphins eventually settled for veteran David Garrard to compete with incumbent Matt Moore and possibly a rookie quarterback.

    Dolphin fans were so upset with the team's missteps that dozens showed up outside the team's headquarters in mid-March protesting general manager Jeff Ireland. The protests prompted team owner Stephen Ross to call some of the fans personally to assuage their doubts about the team's future.

    Wake, who made the Pro Bowl in 2010 with 14 sacks, has been one of the few bright spots in Miami since the Dolphins signed him in 2009 out of the Canadian Football League, giving him $4.9 million over four years including $1 million guaranteed.

    Wake went undrafted out of Penn State and signed with the New York Giants but didn't make it to training camp. He amassed 39 sacks over two CFL seasons and was a two-time defensive player of the year.

    The 30-year-old hybrid defensive end/outside linebacker has 122 tackles and 28 sacks in three NFL seasons.

    Reply | Quote
    Avatar

    Posted: 4/10/2012 2:06 PM

    Re: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    Why would we be surprised?

    Reply | Quote
    • clspnd
    • Member
    • 409 posts this site

    Posted: 4/10/2012 2:58 PM

    Re: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    Trade him away i'm sure we can get a 1st and maybe a 4th for him.
    Reply | Quote

    Posted: 4/10/2012 5:36 PM

    RE: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    He deserves a new deal, wonder how much he will want?? Probably a lot more than he's worth...
    Reply | Quote
    Avatar

    Posted: 4/10/2012 6:30 PM

    Re: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    I f we are in "rebuilding mode" i say trade him...

    we honestly cant afford anyone if we give him a deal.

    Photobucket

    Reply | Quote

    Posted: 4/10/2012 7:32 PM

    Re: Cam Wake holding out?? 



    clspnd wrote: Trade him away i'm sure we can get a 1st and maybe a 4th for him.
    Not at his age.  A second is probably the most we'd get if that.
    Reply | Quote

    Posted: 4/10/2012 7:33 PM

    Re: Cam Wake holding out?? 



    MiaPhin wrote: I f we are in "rebuilding mode" i say trade him...

    we honestly cant afford anyone if we give him a deal.
    I agree completely.  He's too old for a huge deal.
    Reply | Quote
    Avatar

    Posted: 4/10/2012 8:33 PM

    Re: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    If we were going to get fair value for him in a trade that time has passed.  If we start shopping him then everyone will know we don't want to pay him and we will get bent over and probably get a couple more 3rd round picks.  We should resign him if you ask me, anyone worth signing is gone already anyway, not resigning Wake gives us absolutely no pass rush and will hurt the progress of everyone in the secondary who will then be forced to cover even longer than before.  Then we can all talk about how our corners can't cover anyone and we need to move on from them.  Our defense is good, we need a few pieces and some good luck on offense.  If you give up Wake the entire defense will suffer, resign Long, resign Bush and use the extra money to resign Wake to a  3 or 4 year deal, we need him.
    Reply | Quote

    Posted: 4/10/2012 8:41 PM

    RE: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    Your not going to get a 2nd rounder and have him sign a big contract - no body is going to want to give up money and a draft pick
    Reply | Quote

    Posted: 4/10/2012 9:09 PM

    RE: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    couple more 3rd round picks - Hmmmm

    Bruce Irvin, OLB

    Pass Rush/Blitz: Best attribute. Extreme quickness off the edge, has flexibility to turn the corner. Shows toughness to get under the pads of tackles to bull them, club them upfield to get the inside lane, or fight through blocks for secondary rush when passer steps up. Keeps feet moving after initial contact. Jumps inside as a counter to typical rush, but needs to show a larger variety of moves. Gets pressures on inside stunts and was too explosive for college guards to handle

    Billy Winn, DE

    Pass rush: Powerful rusher, moves forward throughout the play and uses athleticism to flush and chase quarterbacks out of the pocket. Good bull rush to push his man into the backfield. Uses violent hands to rip off or punch off blocks, though he could be more consistent against better linemen. Forces offensive lineman to hold, often penalties are not called. Gets most sacks with effort, not an elite first step.



    Reply | Quote

    Posted: 4/10/2012 9:47 PM

    RE: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    I don't know why. i don't know how. i just know we don't have any money to spend. Blame it on Parcells, Sparano, Ross, Gloria Esefan but don't blame it on Ireland because why? This POS is just as responsible for this financial debacle as all the dearly departed are, but he's still.. here. The team nickname should be changed from the Miami Dolphins to the Miami Minimum Wagers.

    It's just ridiculous. And we're gonna solve all this with ireland handlihg the draft. Huh? I can't wait until he makes one of his trademark "leaps" and trades our 4th and 5th rounder to move up late in the 3rd and steal someone!

    Stop worrying about Wake. Just fantasize how thrilling it will be when we select Tannehill @ 8 and thinking about his potential as he carries a clipboard for 2 to 3 years and develops. That should be good enough for all of us.

    Reply | Quote

    Posted: 4/10/2012 10:36 PM

    Re: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    Other than Jake Long.... who is tying up all your cap space?






    Reply | Quote
    • clspnd
    • Member
    • 409 posts this site

    Posted: 4/11/2012 10:30 AM

    Re: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    He's 30 and he wants between Peppers and Mario money 4 years 10 to 12 mil a year with atleast 20 mil gauranteed.  You have no cash for that there is no proven pass rusher left in free agent plentty of teams need a pass rusher Trade him away.
    Reply | Quote
    • mlb1399
    • Member
    • 1748 posts this site

    Posted: 4/11/2012 10:51 AM

    Re: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    I'd say trade him if he wants that kind of money. He's nowhere near as disruptive as those players. He's good for his token sack every game or two but then disappears.

    We need to restructure Dansby and Longs contract. Too much money tied up for non-impact players.
    Reply | Quote
    Avatar

    Posted: 4/11/2012 11:52 AM

    Re: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    A proven pure pass rusher? Who only has 5 or 6 years of wear and tear? We can definitely get a 1st for him...




    Not saying I would trade him, but I'm not against it....

    Reply | Quote

    Posted: 4/11/2012 12:31 PM

    RE: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    I would be surprised if they could get a 1st because he is 31, Dolphins are in the driver’s seat it will interesting to see what does happen.. There are about 5 starters becoming free agents next year, Jake Long is the biggest and will require a hefty sum, but with Mario Williams now playing for Buffalo I would imagine they pay...
    Reply | Quote

    Posted: 4/11/2012 1:10 PM

    RE: Cam Wake holding out?? 



    dougb123 wrote: I would be surprised if they could get a 1st because he is 31, Dolphins are in the driver’s seat it will interesting to see what does happen.. There are about 5 starters becoming free agents next year, Jake Long is the biggest and will require a hefty sum, but with Mario Williams now playing for Buffalo I would imagine they pay...
    If Jake Long can't stay healthy there's no way they can justify giving him a long term deal.  He's way too young to always have some kind of health issue.   If he stays healthy for 16 games and plays at a Pro Bowl level then I say lock him up.   If he get hurt yet again, we got a problem IMO.
    Reply | Quote
    Avatar

    Posted: 4/11/2012 3:26 PM

    Re: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    Keith Rivers got traded for a 5th round pick, so im now doubtful we could get a 1st rounder for Wake
    Reply | Quote

    Posted: 4/11/2012 5:02 PM

    RE: Cam Wake holding out?? 



    birdmond wrote:
    dougb123 wrote: I would be surprised if they could get a 1st because he is 31, Dolphins are in the driver’s seat it will interesting to see what does happen.. There are about 5 starters becoming free agents next year, Jake Long is the biggest and will require a hefty sum, but with Mario Williams now playing for Buffalo I would imagine they pay...
    If Jake Long can't stay healthy there's no way they can justify giving him a long term deal.  He's way too young to always have some kind of health issue.   If he stays healthy for 16 games and plays at a Pro Bowl level then I say lock him up.   If he get hurt yet again, we got a problem IMO.
    I see Jake's health as a problem to but I allso see Mario Williams reaking havok if we don't find someone to lock down that postion. I'm pulling for Jake but even if he has a solid year I do see problems giving him a very large signing bonus...Dolphins and his agent will be at it to..

    Last edited 4/11/2012 5:03 PM by dougb123

    Reply | Quote
    Avatar

    Posted: 4/11/2012 10:43 PM

    RE: Cam Wake holding out?? 


    dougb123 wrote:

    couple more 3rd round picks - Hmmmm
    Bruce Irvin, OLB

    Pass Rush/Blitz: Best attribute. Extreme quickness off the edge, has flexibility to turn the corner. Shows toughness to get under the pads of tackles to bull them, club them upfield to get the inside lane, or fight through blocks for secondary rush when passer steps up. Keeps feet moving after initial contact. Jumps inside as a counter to typical rush, but needs to show a larger variety of moves. Gets pressures on inside stunts and was too explosive for college guards to handle

    Billy Winn, DE

    Pass rush: Powerful rusher, moves forward throughout the play and uses athleticism to flush and chase quarterbacks out of the pocket. Good bull rush to push his man into the backfield. Uses violent hands to rip off or punch off blocks, though he could be more consistent against better linemen. Forces offensive lineman to hold, often penalties are not called. Gets most sacks with effort, not an elite first step.

    ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, ,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

    Those are draft bios, there are plenty of players who have interesting draft bios every year who don't even get drafted. Wake gets sacks and disrupts the passing game even if he doesn't get to the QB. He's 31, its not like he is ancient looking to get one more contract before he retires. Funny how the whole offseason plan changed. We went from landing the big name coach, franchise QB, WR to compliment Marshall, and pass rusher opposite Wake and now looks like we are going to go 0-4. This is so frustrating.
    Reply | Quote
    Reply to TopicPost New Topic
      Page of 2  Next >