Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

dolphins got new tightend

Avatar

Posted: 11/20/2012 8:58 PM

dolphins got new tightend 


dolphins got award te kyle miller off wavier from colts  do we need other tight end???
Cameron, Miami Dolphins resume talks over coaching job
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/21/2012 12:06 AM

Re: dolphins got new tightend 



miamibaseball wrote: dolphins got award te kyle miller off wavier from colts  do we need other tight end???
Kyle Miller is another Mastrud, Tall, Good blocker, slow .. Nothing to see here at all..
It is really disappointing that Egnew has not cracked the 53 man roster at this point.

Maybe another year will do him good but he is looking like a jeff Ireland special draft bust.banghead
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/21/2012 3:17 AM

Re: dolphins got new tightend 


The thing that worries me most about Egnew is apparently he is the guy Philbin wanted in the 3rd.

This isn't a defense of Ireland, we all know that Ireland is physically incapable of identifying playmakers in the draft, but if Philbin can't identify these playmakers either what hope do we have? At least Ireland's picks are active on gameday before not making an impact.

The only silver lining about this move, which involved waiving Gaffney, is it means coaches have seen enough of Rishard Matthews to give him more of a shot. He looked decent Thursday, was the one Phin who got downfield. Maybe he'll provide a spark.

As for Miller, he's probably only here because Mastrud has been injured.
Somebody gave me a Hickey.

Last edited 11/21/2012 3:18 AM by Jschwald

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/21/2012 7:11 AM

Re: dolphins got new tightend 


Egnew - Another bust with a high pick.  We desperately need a TE.  This team has been without one for a very long time.  Keith Jackson is the last good one that I can recall.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/21/2012 9:01 AM

Re: dolphins got new tightend 



Jschwald wrote: The thing that worries me most about Egnew is apparently he is the guy Philbin wanted in the 3rd.

This isn't a defense of Ireland, we all know that Ireland is physically incapable of identifying playmakers in the draft, but if Philbin can't identify these playmakers either what hope do we have? At least Ireland's picks are active on gameday before not making an impact.

The only silver lining about this move, which involved waiving Gaffney, is it means coaches have seen enough of Rishard Matthews to give him more of a shot. He looked decent Thursday, was the one Phin who got downfield. Maybe he'll provide a spark.

As for Miller, he's probably only here because Mastrud has been injured.
Apparently he's the guy Philbin wanted in the 3rd? Did Jeff tell you that?

I'll banter back and forth with you but you're man love for ireland is plain goofy.
When a draft pick or trade works out its ireland (not many of those) and when it doesn't work out it's Philbin.
Ireland has the final say in all personnel matters and the guy sucks.

He's been here 5 years and hasn't done crap.
If not for Chad Pennington one year, we haven't done squat.

Philbin was a good hire but the arrangement of inheriting an existing poor personnel guy as part of the agreement rarely works. The blame game can go on forever.


... Even Cam Cameron had a new PR guy with Randy Mueller.

Last edited 11/21/2012 9:04 AM by FreeWanny

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/21/2012 9:55 AM

Re: dolphins got new tightend 


Him being Philbin's guy in the 3rd comes via Omar Kelly, who's job it is to report on the Fins.

And, as you'll see if you actually read my post, I was saying that worries me BECAUSE Jeff Ireland can't find playmakers either. How does that constitute man love? I don't think Ireland is a particularly good GM, I don't think he should be around for the next draft because we need playmakers. That's not man love.

I also don't think he's the root of every problem on this team, and he has had some success stories to go along with his numerous failures. I think we have a decent foundation in place, are a few playmakers away from contending, and he deserves some credit for that.

I think my "man love" for Ireland is far more reasonable than your ridiculous "Joe Philbin is losing games on purpose so that Steve Ross will fire Ireland" conspiracy theory.
Somebody gave me a Hickey.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/22/2012 10:24 AM

Re: dolphins got new tightend 


Omar Kelly, Armando Salguero & Jeff Darlington are all South Florida Dolphin beat writers for their respective papers. There good for practice updates but that's it. They offer their opinions only. They are not privy to anything and do not have any inside information. Kelly is particularly adversarial to the coaching staff, but that's how they try to sell papers.

If you follow the 3 on twitter, Kelly is the weakest in terms of insight  IMO. He seems defensive, unclear and too secular in most of his tweets, but hey, if that's your argument because Omar "said it", go for it. No question Egnew is the biggest bust in this draft so far, and to mention "now" that Egnew was Philbin's guy is suspect timing.

Ireland is in charge of all personnel decisions and has final say regardless of input. You can't have it both ways: player good (Ireland), player bad (Philbin).

I think we agree that Ireland should go if this team finishes poorly. That's fine.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/22/2012 12:08 PM

Re: dolphins got new tightend 


I think Darlington and Omar (and to a slightly lesser degree, Volin) do a much better job than Salguero, who I dislike immensely. I do follow all 3 on twitter, and actually think the opposite, but that's ok we have different opinions.

Also Omar's "Egnew was Philbin's guy" was actually a draft-time statement, so the timing is much less skeptical. I was actually thrilled with Egnew because he was Philbin's guy, because again we both know and agree that Ireland can't identify playmakers.

However, as you said, it doesn't work both ways. Ireland is in charge of all personnel decisions, and the draft is ultimately on his head. I was just hoping Egnew would break the trend because he was somebody Philbin liked.

But we definitely agree on that last part, he should go if the team finishes poorly. Unfortunately, I just don't think it will happen. For better of for worse, I have a feeling Ireland will get one more offseason to prove himself. Hopefully he turns a corner and proves he is quality - if not we'll be looking for a new GM in 2014.
Somebody gave me a Hickey.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/23/2012 8:53 AM

RE: dolphins got new tightend 


I wouldn't be scared if one of Philbin's guy didn't work out. Its one pick and its a 3rd round pick at that. If you went down the board in any round let alone the 3rd you will find a lot of failures. You can't hit on every pick and if Philbin is the fall guy on Egnew then so be it. The book isn't closed on Egnew yet either. Its one season and assuming at some point this team starts scoring again and doesn't suffer a complete meltdown for the remainder of the season Egnew will be here again next season with the same staff, same offense, same QB and will hit the ground running (hopefully) in the offseason workouts. Then again maybe he gets cut but spending a season complaining that one of your first 4 picks isn't contributing his rookie year is insane considering 2 of the 4 look like solid pick ups and the other is a young QB who has looked like a good QB at times. I don't care if Ireland stays or goes but so what if Philbin missed on one guy, I'm more concerned about how he does as a coach than picking players.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/23/2012 9:30 AM

RE: dolphins got new tightend 


There's 6 games left anything can happen along the way. Let's stay positive.

Everyone in the world knows we have a lack of talent.

Ireland has been here 5 years as the personnel guy and it's his responsiblility to get good players.

Money has never been an issue getting players. Ownership has not been cheap.

If we're to attribute all poor personnel choices to Parcells and now Philbin, that would make Jeff ireland very happy. He can continue to call fans a@#$holes and keep his job. 

It's time for him to go.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/23/2012 9:50 AM

RE: dolphins got new tightend 


A lot of fans are @$$holes - if someone came up to me and told me I was shitty at doing my job, regardless of how true it is, I wouldn't call him an @$$holes. I would punch him.

Mumbling "@$$hole" after someone is an @$$hole is perfectly acceptable behavior in my book.
Somebody gave me a Hickey.

Last edited 11/23/2012 9:51 AM by Jschwald

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/23/2012 2:24 PM

RE: dolphins got new tightend 


No argument.
If Ireland thought Dez Bryant's mom was a prostitute, he had a right to put the kid on the spot and ask him about it. 
if he thought it was in the best interest of his own survival he had every right to go behind Sparano's back and travel to California and help Ross woo Harbaugh
Let's face it,  Jeff's a classy guy, a people person, and just a tremendous personnnel manager.
Maybe if we play are cards right they'll fire Philbin for the Egnew fiasco and make Ireland the Head Coach and Personnel Manager of the Miami Dolphins and name Omar Kelly the Head Scout.

That's what those a@#$hole fans really want ... right?

Last edited 11/23/2012 2:27 PM by FreeWanny

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/23/2012 2:46 PM

RE: dolphins got new tightend 


Jeff is an A$$H@LE ... as such, he deserves to be treated like one by fans.  He should have been fired last off-season, but somehow he was able to convince Ross that the team was full of talented players.  Get rid of Ireland and bring in a guy who is a talent evaluator and NOT from the Cowboy's Organization.

"Make it Rain Hell"

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/23/2012 3:38 PM

RE: dolphins got new tightend 



FreeWanny wrote:

No argument.
If Ireland thought Dez Bryant's mom was a prostitute, he had a right to put the kid on the spot and ask him about it. 
if he thought it was in the best interest of his own survival he had every right to go behind Sparano's back and travel to California and help Ross woo Harbaugh
Let's face it,  Jeff's a classy guy, a people person, and just a tremendous personnnel manager.
Maybe if we play are cards right they'll fire Philbin for the Egnew fiasco and make Ireland the Head Coach and Personnel Manager of the Miami Dolphins and name Omar Kelly the Head Scout.

That's what those a@#$hole fans really want ... right?

Wow, could you be more mature? Let's go through the points, shall we?

Ireland asked Dez Bryant if his mom was a prostitute. Which, everyone will admit is not ok. However, when that question is proceeded by a) my dad was a pimp, b) my mom worked for my dad, the question seems more reasonable.
Also, that said, seeing as that has nothing to do with football, he was clearly trying to assess Bryant's maturity based on his response. Wouldn't you know it, Bryant's maturity has been a continual problem since he entered the league - do you think he'd still be on this team with the character guys Philbin wants?

Ireland flew out with Ross to try to lure Harbaugh. Harbaugh is currently the best coach in the NFL. If he'd succeeded we might be contenders just like the 49ers, who were no better than us at the time of that gaff. Isn't Ireland's job to improve the team? Because Harbaugh would sure as hell have been an improvement over Sparano. Again, it wasn't the right way to approach the situation, but from a football standpoint we'd be better off if he had succeeded.

I've also NEVER advocated firing Philbin, he deserves at least two more years, and I do believe that the team should fire Ireland at the end of the year although I don't think they will. So great point on that one, you're really knocking them out of the park. My point is that he's not responsible for every problem on this team as you want to make him out to be. And he's particularly not responsible for the bad coaching that's plagued us for 3 games.

Finally. No matter how bad of a GM Ireland is, being a fan of the team does not give someone the right to walk up to him and talk $H!T and insult him to his face. Rule 101 of being a human being, treat others like you want to be treated. If you're going to be an @$$hole, you deserve to be called one.
Somebody gave me a Hickey.

Last edited 11/23/2012 6:10 PM by Jschwald

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/23/2012 4:18 PM

Re: dolphins got new tightend 


I am by no means defending Ireland but Egnew was not over drafted and the pick was applauded by both Kiper and McShay for what it's worth.  I will admit I loved the pick and I watch every college game I possibly can.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/23/2012 4:33 PM

RE: dolphins got new tightend 



Jschwald wrote:
FreeWanny wrote:

No argument.
If Ireland thought Dez Bryant's mom was a prostitute, he had a right to put the kid on the spot and ask him about it. 
if he thought it was in the best interest of his own survival he had every right to go behind Sparano's back and travel to California and help Ross woo Harbaugh
Let's face it,  Jeff's a classy guy, a people person, and just a tremendous personnnel manager.
Maybe if we play are cards right they'll fire Philbin for the Egnew fiasco and make Ireland the Head Coach and Personnel Manager of the Miami Dolphins and name Omar Kelly the Head Scout.

That's what those a@#$hole fans really want ... right?

Wow, could you be more mature? Let's go through the points, shall we?

Ireland asked Dez Bryant if his mom was a prostitute. Which, everyone will admit is not ok. However, when that question is proceeded by a) my dad was a pimp, b) my mom worked for my dad, the question seems more reasonable.
Also, that said, seeing as that has nothing to do with football, he was clearly trying to assess Bryant's maturity based on his response. Wouldn't you know it, Bryant's maturity has been a continual problem since he entered the league - do you think he'd still be on this team with the character guys Philbin wants?

Ireland flew out with Ross to try to lure Harbaugh. Harbaugh is currently the best coach in the NFL. If he'd succeeded we might be contenders just like the 49ers, who were no better than us at the time of that gaff. Isn't Ireland's job to improve the team? Because Harbaugh would sure as hell have been an improvement over Sparano. Again, it wasn't the right way to approach the situation, but from a football standpoint we'd be better off if he had succeeded.

I've also NEVER advocated firing Philbin, he deserves at least two more years, and I do believe that the team should fire Ireland at the end of the year although I don't think they will. So great point on that one, you're really knocking them out of the park. My point is that he's not responsible for every problem on this team as you want to make him out to be. And he's particularly not responsible for the bad coaching that's plagued us for 3 games.

Finally. No matter how bad of a GM Ireland is, being a fan of the team does not give someone the right to walk up to him and talk $H!T and insult him to his face. Rule 101 of being a human being, treat others like you want to be treated. If you're going to be an @$$hole, you deserve to be called one. But really, keep on with your just amazingly informed posts Wanny, you really must be the most informed fan out there. I'm surprised the Fins haven't hired you already.

+1! Thanks for the kind words.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/23/2012 6:09 PM

RE: dolphins got new tightend 


I'm sorry for that last bit, Wanny. I shouldn't have gotten personal. It's just frustrating when I think I'm making valid points and you reduce them to 'we should fire Philbin, make Ireland HC and GM, and hire Omar as head scout'. I come here to talk Dolphins football, not be mocked, and I overreacted.
Somebody gave me a Hickey.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/23/2012 8:55 PM

RE: dolphins got new tightend 


No offense taken. (just like our team. no pun intended) 
Just trying to juice it up a bit to stay awake for next year's draft.

Sometimes i get carried away but this team is so freaking boring, i can't help myself.

It's all good.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/24/2012 12:46 PM

Re: dolphins got new tightend 



birdmond wrote: I am by no means defending Ireland but Egnew was not over drafted and the pick was applauded by both Kiper and McShay for what it's worth.  I will admit I loved the pick and I watch every college game I possibly can.
Really every single draft publication i read had Egnew rated as a 4th or 5th round draft pick.
I am still hopeful charles clay can turn into something good but he has even disappointed by not being able to take the job away from the pedestrian Fasano.

I understand drafting BPA but thats if you have a solid foundation in place already.. Now we have a glut of runningbacks, Defensive tackles  and piss poor play in the Secondary,WR's and TE's..  He has performed slightly better this season, especially in trading vontae davis for a 2nd round pick which i think was a robbery we performed to the colts.

Last edited 11/24/2012 12:47 PM by Gonzorot

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/26/2012 8:08 AM

RE: dolphins got new tightend 


Really, what highly regarded TE from the draft has torn it up this season. Dwayne Allen has 385 yards to date and Fleener has 222, Orson Charles and Ladarius Green havent done much of anything.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >