Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl

Posted: 3/14/2014 9:05 PM

UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 


As much as folks at Auburn complain about UA, dont you know that UA hates the losing  records of the teams just as much..?  That being the case a salesman like a Bruce Pearl might be just what they need to sell their brand  If he were to come to Auburn and succeed, it would be just as much a coup for UA as for Auburn.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/14/2014 9:46 PM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 


Could be a valid point.  If Pearl's charisma isn't tarnished and he is still able to attract players like a mule attracts flies then you're on to something.  Kentucky doesn't need anyone's help in attracting plenty of players, regardless of their shoe endorsement.  Coach K could leave Duke and would pull players where ever he ended up (until the day came, if it came, when he couldn't win anymore).  If Pearl could be competitive at AU with the Under Armor endorsement then it would be very good for them.  Right now, their round ball corps is sucking like a Eureka with a new filter.
wde1981 wrote: As much as folks at Auburn complain about UA, dont you know that UA hates the losing  records of the teams just as much..?  That being the case a salesman like a Bruce Pearl might be just what they need to sell their brand  If he were to come to Auburn and succeed, it would be just as much a coup for UA as for Auburn.

Leap.....and the net will appear.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/14/2014 9:50 PM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 



Great line
---------------------------------------------
--- steele4AU wrote:

Could be a valid point.  If Pearl's charisma isn't tarnished and he is still able to attract players like a mule attracts flies then you're on to something.  Kentucky doesn't need anyone's help in attracting plenty of players, regardless of their shoe endorsement.  Coach K could leave Duke and would pull players where ever he ended up (until the day came, if it came, when he couldn't win anymore).  If Pearl could be competitive at AU with the Under Armor endorsement then it would be very good for them.  Right now, their round ball corps is sucking like a Eureka with a new filter.
wde1981 wrote: As much as folks at Auburn complain about UA, dont you know that UA hates the losing  records of the teams just as much..?  That being the case a salesman like a Bruce Pearl might be just what they need to sell their brand  If he were to come to Auburn and succeed, it would be just as much a coup for UA as for Auburn.


---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/14/2014 9:57 PM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 


Pearl is one of those type of coaches where the brand may not even matter.  He would be quite a catch if Auburn could somehow land him.
                        SEC CHAMPIONS
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/14/2014 10:01 PM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 


It would be very good for Pearl as well. With UA coaches dropping like flies it would be a huge feather in his cap if he could turn this program around.
steele4AU wrote: Could be a valid point.  If Pearl's charisma isn't tarnished and he is still able to attract players like a mule attracts flies then you're on to something.  Kentucky doesn't need anyone's help in attracting plenty of players, regardless of their shoe endorsement.  Coach K could leave Duke and would pull players where ever he ended up (until the day came, if it came, when he couldn't win anymore).  If Pearl could be competitive at AU with the Under Armor endorsement then it would be very good for them.  Right now, their round ball corps is sucking like a Eureka with a new filter.
wde1981 wrote: As much as folks at Auburn complain about UA, dont you know that UA hates the losing  records of the teams just as much..?  That being the case a salesman like a Bruce Pearl might be just what they need to sell their brand  If he were to come to Auburn and succeed, it would be just as much a coup for UA as for Auburn.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/14/2014 10:06 PM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 


I'll be here all week.  Remember to tip the waitresses!
Frankallyn wrote:
Great line
---------------------------------------------
--- steele4AU wrote:

Could be a valid point.  If Pearl's charisma isn't tarnished and he is still able to attract players like a mule attracts flies then you're on to something.  Kentucky doesn't need anyone's help in attracting plenty of players, regardless of their shoe endorsement.  Coach K could leave Duke and would pull players where ever he ended up (until the day came, if it came, when he couldn't win anymore).  If Pearl could be competitive at AU with the Under Armor endorsement then it would be very good for them.  Right now, their round ball corps is sucking like a Eureka with a new filter.
wde1981 wrote: As much as folks at Auburn complain about UA, dont you know that UA hates the losing  records of the teams just as much..?  That being the case a salesman like a Bruce Pearl might be just what they need to sell their brand  If he were to come to Auburn and succeed, it would be just as much a coup for UA as for Auburn.


---------------------------------------------

Leap.....and the net will appear.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/14/2014 10:10 PM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 


He would move WAY up the list in coaching status, nationwide.  AU basketball = UK football, and to bring it to a level of competitiveness and respectibility would take a fantastic coach or a witch.    Either would also need a good dose of luck.
AUBURNPJ wrote: It would be very good for Pearl as well. With UA coaches dropping like flies it would be a huge feather in his cap if he could turn this program around.
steele4AU wrote: Could be a valid point.  If Pearl's charisma isn't tarnished and he is still able to attract players like a mule attracts flies then you're on to something.  Kentucky doesn't need anyone's help in attracting plenty of players, regardless of their shoe endorsement.  Coach K could leave Duke and would pull players where ever he ended up (until the day came, if it came, when he couldn't win anymore).  If Pearl could be competitive at AU with the Under Armor endorsement then it would be very good for them.  Right now, their round ball corps is sucking like a Eureka with a new filter.
wde1981 wrote: As much as folks at Auburn complain about UA, dont you know that UA hates the losing  records of the teams just as much..?  That being the case a salesman like a Bruce Pearl might be just what they need to sell their brand  If he were to come to Auburn and succeed, it would be just as much a coup for UA as for Auburn.

Leap.....and the net will appear.

Last edited 3/14/2014 10:11 PM by steele4AU

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/14/2014 11:28 PM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 


Amen.

---------------------------------------------
--- Frankallyn wrote:


Great line
---------------------------------------------
--- steele4AU wrote:

Could be a valid point.  If Pearl's charisma isn't tarnished and he is still able to attract players like a mule attracts flies then you're on to something.  Kentucky doesn't need anyone's help in attracting plenty of players, regardless of their shoe endorsement.  Coach K could leave Duke and would pull players where ever he ended up (until the day came, if it came, when he couldn't win anymore).  If Pearl could be competitive at AU with the Under Armor endorsement then it would be very good for them.  Right now, their round ball corps is sucking like a Eureka with a new filter.
wde1981 wrote: As much as folks at Auburn complain about UA, dont you know that UA hates the losing  records of the teams just as much..?  That being the case a salesman like a Bruce Pearl might be just what they need to sell their brand  If he were to come to Auburn and succeed, it would be just as much a coup for UA as for Auburn.


---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

"Eating words has never given me indigestion."  -  Winston Churchill

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/15/2014 6:54 AM

RE: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 


I told AUBURNPJ yesterday that IMHO (can't believe I used that term) that Pearl would be the one guy that could put a dent in UA. I'm not saying it'd be on his level at UT but until we can get out of this debacle, he could certainly fight it off and do well. The question is, is he willing to do that and is JJ willing to out the UA stuff on the table with him and go forward and correct it when the time is right?

"There's no athletes on the field for Alabama; they got all fat guys." - Gary Danielson, 11/30/2013

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/15/2014 7:39 AM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 


Does UA contract end in a couple years?
                        SEC CHAMPIONS
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/15/2014 7:51 AM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 



---------------------------------------------
--- AUstorms wrote:

Does UA contract end in a couple years?

---------------------------------------------

I was told by someone in the know 2015. But everything with UA has always been so surreptitious, so who knows?

I do know this much. Everyone from the Board of Trustees to Dr. Gogue to Jay now knows and finally understands the problems UA causes for basketball. And I don't care how the Shoney's Big Boy tries to spin it in his Marshall Law columns.

"There's no athletes on the field for Alabama; they got all fat guys." - Gary Danielson, 11/30/2013

Last edited 3/15/2014 7:51 AM by BigBlueBagel

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/15/2014 7:56 AM

RE: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 


Does UA pay kick backs to (clears throat) athletic department suits anywhere?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/15/2014 8:01 AM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 


This article led me to believe 2016:  http://www.al.com/sports/index..._armour_de.html

BigBlueBagel wrote:
---------------------------------------------
--- AUstorms wrote:

Does UA contract end in a couple years?

---------------------------------------------

I was told by someone in the know 2015. But everything with UA has always been so surreptitious, so who knows?

I do know this much. Everyone from the Board of Trustees to Dr. Gogue to Jay now knows and finally understands the problems UA causes for basketball. And I don't care how the Shoney's Big Boy tries to spin it in his Marshall Law columns.
--------------------------------------------------------
"We Believe!" - Ricardo Louis 


Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/15/2014 9:05 AM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 




---------------------------------------------
--- DyeHardFan wrote:

This article led me to believe 2016:  www.al.com/sports/index..._armour_de.html

BigBlueBagel wrote:
---------------------------------------------
--- AUstorms wrote:

Does UA contract end in a couple years?

---------------------------------------------

I was told by someone in the know 2015. But everything with UA has always been so surreptitious, so who knows?

I do know this much. Everyone from the Board of Trustees to Dr. Gogue to Jay now knows and finally understands the problems UA causes for basketball. And I don't care how the Shoney's Big Boy tries to spin it in his Marshall Law columns.


---------------------------------------------

Thanks DyeHard.

"There's no athletes on the field for Alabama; they got all fat guys." - Gary Danielson, 11/30/2013

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/15/2014 9:59 AM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 


I am not sure if it ends with the start of the football season in 2016 or at the end of the season. Was an outstanding deal when we signed it and I assume another successful year in football and the negotiations for a new contract with UA will start at the end of next season with UA not really wanting to have compete for our contract with everyone else. Anyway it is a moot point because I assume that by the time our contract is up UA will either have made a little dent in the basketball court or get out. It is not in their interest to promote something that is not going to give a return financially.

Last edited 3/15/2014 10:00 AM by kenews

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/15/2014 10:07 AM

RE: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 



---------------------------------------------
--- earlc wrote:

Does UA pay kick backs to (clears throat) athletic department suits anywhere?

---------------------------------------------

Next time you see Scott Carr why don't you say that to his face. You know its one thing to accuse people of incompetence but saying they are doing something illegal with a University contract.

I've known him for over 20 years and that's not going to happen.

If you want to talk about core issues in the department then that's a rational discussion but random accusations of impropriety is just wrong. I have been as vocal as anyone over the last 4 years regarding performance, financials, and the need for reorganization but integrity is one of my least concerns with the staff overall.

HURRY UP!!! WHAT YOU WAITING FOR

Last edited 3/15/2014 10:21 AM by wewantsix

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/15/2014 2:18 PM

Re: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 



AUstorms wrote: Pearl is one of those type of coaches where the brand may not even matter.  He would be quite a catch if Auburn could somehow land him.


Storms-

It will matter. Shoe affiliation always matter. That being said, I do get what you are saying. I also agree that he would be a "great catch" for AU.

Listen, if Bruce Pearl had an option and was offered any shoe deal he wanted. Under Armour would not be his preference. As a matter of fact, if all 351 college coaches were asked. I'm not sure if a single one of them would select UA.

It's not a secret that Bruce has always had a tremendous relationship with Adidas. He would be stupid if he didn't, right? If shoes matter, isn't it better to embrace it than to reject it? Was UT's roster filled with mostly Adidas affiliated AAU players? Absolutely. Every top program's roster is slanted toward their shoe affiliation. There's a reason for that.

Why wouldn't he try to get any advantage (within the rules) that he can get? I've said this many times but it's worth repeating. It is not illegal for a recruit to sign with a school that has the same shoe affiliation as his AAU team.

Would BP give us the best opportunity to succeed w/UA? Possibly. I think we all have seen that playing both sides of the fence is not a good recipe for success. But, if Pearl gives AU a real shot (not just a 1-2 year stop gap) then it's possible.

It would be absolutely critical to both BP and AU that Ryan Miller is kept on the staff. It's critical for Pearl because he can't find a better coach anywhere in the country, and Ryan also helps keep the current players and signees on board. It's critical for AU because BP may not envision this as his destination job. 

Lastly, the combination of Pearl, Miller, and Jones (and possibly Shay) would be as good of a recruiting staff as there is in the country. Was told last night that Tobias Harris' brother and Willie Atwood would be at AU next year if Pearl comes.

"I know everything there is to know about the greatest game ever invented."

                                    Wilbur 'Shooter' Flatch

Last edited 3/15/2014 2:22 PM by SkipJansen

Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/15/2014 3:08 PM

RE: UnderArmour, and Bruce Pearl 



It was a general question not specific to AU.
Some on these boards have implied the last time Jacobs and Carr negotiated the contract it was less than transparent.

---------------------------------------------
--- wewantsix wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- earlc wrote:

Does UA pay kick backs to (clears throat) athletic department suits anywhere?

---------------------------------------------

Next time you see Scott Carr why don't you say that to his face. You know its one thing to accuse people of incompetence but saying they are doing something illegal with a University contract.

I've known him for over 20 years and that's not going to happen.

If you want to talk about core issues in the department then that's a rational discussion but random accusations of impropriety is just wrong. I have been as vocal as anyone over the last 4 years regarding performance, financials, and the need for reorganization but integrity is one of my least concerns with the staff overall.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote