Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

NW transfer to UL?

Posted: 6/20/2014 11:28 AM

NW transfer to UL? 


Supposedly, suspended NW RB Malin Jones is transferring to UL.

http://www.insidenu.com/2014/0...m-northwestern/

 

 

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 11:30 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 11:31 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


They just got a commitment from Dahu Green a big WR from OK too. I liked him as much as any of the bigs. Their recruiting sans transfers is picking up.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 12:33 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


It is picking up. If they win big in the ACC, I see it picking up even more.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 2:19 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


If. I'm not worried one bit.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/20/2014 3:37 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


I suspect they have more offensive weapons for Petrino than he has ever had, except for maybe one year at Arkansas. I know they have defensive weapons, but they lost a lot of good players who made plays last year on defense. Their returning tackles are some of the lowest in the country. Now, I know that Charlie recruited well and have heard from UL fans that those positions will be filled with comparable players. That would be impressive, especially against a tougher schedule. Only time will tell.

Last edited 6/20/2014 3:37 PM by Badinage

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 2:30 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


Strong left a lot of talent at UL. Many forget that the last 2 years UL has been redshirting the majority of the freshmen. The UL roster is almost all 3 star or higher players. Time will tell but it very possible that Petrino has more overall talent on this UL team than he had on any of his college teams. I am not saying that this UL team is better than his Ark BCS team because of the unproven QB.





Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 10:45 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


This kid was last on the depth chart at NW who went 5-7 last season and he even got moved to fullback this spring because he's so unathletic.  His stat line last season is unique, I can't recall too many RBs who got 3 carries and ran for negative 2 yards.  And that was against terrible teams like Western Michigan and Cal.

This is good news from our prospective.  Louisville spends another scholarship on a kid with problems, only this kid isn't a good football player
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2014 10:45 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


Petrino says who needs to recruit when you have the waiver wire!

I don't have any idea what the percentage is on transfers that work out, but common sense says its way lower than bringing in your own recruits.  But then I doubt anyone still expects him to take a long-term approach to anything, lol.
The sleeping giant is awakening.  

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 11:11 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 



jvolk wrote:

Strong left a lot of talent at UL. Many forget that the last 2 years UL has been redshirting the majority of the freshmen. The UL roster is almost all 3 star or higher players. Time will tell but it very possible that Petrino has more overall talent on this UL team than he had on any of his college teams. I am not saying that this UL team is better than his Ark BCS team because of the unproven QB.





Louisville's 2011 class was phenominal and was even rated 6th by CNNSI in their "re-rankings".  Once the remainder of that class graduates after this season, Louisville's talent will drop off a cliff.  The 2012 and 2013 classes Strong brought in weren't ranked anywhere near as high and he even admitted last season that they better start recruiting better and was planning on cutting lose a ton of underclassmen to make room for a 30+ man 2014 class.

Of Louisville's 2012 class, only 16 players are still in the program.  Highly decorated recruits in that class, Gerod Holliman and Nick Dawson are busts, and things don't look much better for Devontre Parnell.  The only elite players in that class thus far are LBs Keith Brown and James Burgess.  Sheldon Rankins (DE), Will Gardner (QB), and DeAngelo Brown (DT) are also in that class and will be starters for the 1st time this fall, so they are unproven and could either end up being stars, average, or busts.

There's only 15 players left on the team in Louisville's 2013 class (one of which is an awful senior former JUCO QB).  While it's too early to judge that class, it doesn't seem like it will pan out.  The star of the class was James Quick, but he looked awful last season (Timmons looked way better) and got into big trouble this offseason, so if I was a Louisville fan, I wouldn't feel confident in him panning out.  He has terrible hands too.  Things don't look promising for 4-star QB Kyle Bolin, he got beaten out by that crappy JUCO QB transfer they signed in 2013 and who Charlie Strong cut from the team in the offseason (Petrino took him back).  Bolin looked really bad this spring and I expect him to transfer at the end of the season.  James Hearns was a big time recruit, but I don't think any school recruiting him ever imagined his weight would balloon to 275 lbs (in a bad way...see the pics) and that he would be converted into a 3-4 DE already as a redshirt freshmen.  Keith Kelsey is the star of that class so far and it would've been real nice if we could've landed him.  It's too early to evaluate the rest of that class.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 11:49 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


Petrino will use a FB, so this kid is probably a good get, from that perspective.

Quick looked darn good in the spring game.

I was told by a THS connection that Bonnafon will not be a div 1 QB, which is probably why Petrino seems to be scrambling to bring in QB depth. Gardner appears to be very capable and could be a star, but I am not sure what they have behind him.

LJ Scott seems to be a very good find at RB and could be the starter in 2015.

I also suspect that the Juco DE Strong brought in before he left will be a solid partner to Mauldin, who could be one of the best in the country on the DLine. Mauldin may not have the same support he had last year in the trenches.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 12:29 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


I suppose this is just one of a number of reasons why some UK fans didn't want Petrino at UK.  This was one of the main reasons I wanted Petrino at UK, do whatever it takes to get wins.  Every other SEC school in the land is adding players like this to their roster, I see no reason for UK to keep a clean slate.

There is always the chance of probation for any school and I realize that UK is more vulnerable to those types of penalties to keep the school from gaining any kind of momentum in the SEC.  This isn't about bowl games, this is about competing in SEC play.  Its nice to have depth but I think UK would be just fine on probation if they were pulling in nothing but 4 and 5 star players and winning 8 games a year.  If UK was like Ohio State last year, most fans would probably care less about the bowl game, seems like a fair trade to me.

I like what Stoops is doing with the program and have no problems with it but it wouldn't bother me in the least bit if UK took a different route to maximize wins just to get back at the SEC off the field.  I would take great happiness in being one of the more hated SEC teams prior to the start of the season.

Last edited 6/21/2014 12:35 PM by Bigbluesea90

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/21/2014 1:17 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


I cannot believe there is a post condoning or rationalizing probation.

Petrino is doing what he has to do. It is not the only way.

Stoops' first 1.5 years, from a player acquisition perspective, has been as good as UK could ever reasonably hope. He has a plan. It is a good plan. I am happy with the plan.

Last edited 6/21/2014 1:18 PM by Badinage

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/21/2014 9:22 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 



Bigbluesea90 wrote: I suppose this is just one of a number of reasons why some UK fans didn't want Petrino at UK.  This was one of the main reasons I wanted Petrino at UK, do whatever it takes to get wins.  Every other SEC school in the land is adding players like this to their roster, I see no reason for UK to keep a clean slate.

There is always the chance of probation for any school and I realize that UK is more vulnerable to those types of penalties to keep the school from gaining any kind of momentum in the SEC.  This isn't about bowl games, this is about competing in SEC play.  Its nice to have depth but I think UK would be just fine on probation if they were pulling in nothing but 4 and 5 star players and winning 8 games a year.  If UK was like Ohio State last year, most fans would probably care less about the bowl game, seems like a fair trade to me.

I like what Stoops is doing with the program and have no problems with it but it wouldn't bother me in the least bit if UK took a different route to maximize wins just to get back at the SEC off the field.  I would take great happiness in being one of the more hated SEC teams prior to the start of the season.
We need more for fans just like you. Heck yeah, playing for a championship at all cost, I love it man....Just love it.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/22/2014 9:10 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 



sieken wrote:
Bigbluesea90 wrote: I suppose this is just one of a number of reasons why some UK fans didn't want Petrino at UK.  This was one of the main reasons I wanted Petrino at UK, do whatever it takes to get wins.  Every other SEC school in the land is adding players like this to their roster, I see no reason for UK to keep a clean slate.

There is always the chance of probation for any school and I realize that UK is more vulnerable to those types of penalties to keep the school from gaining any kind of momentum in the SEC.  This isn't about bowl games, this is about competing in SEC play.  Its nice to have depth but I think UK would be just fine on probation if they were pulling in nothing but 4 and 5 star players and winning 8 games a year.  If UK was like Ohio State last year, most fans would probably care less about the bowl game, seems like a fair trade to me.

I like what Stoops is doing with the program and have no problems with it but it wouldn't bother me in the least bit if UK took a different route to maximize wins just to get back at the SEC off the field.  I would take great happiness in being one of the more hated SEC teams prior to the start of the season.
We need more for fans just like you. Heck yeah, playing for a championship at all cost, I love it man....Just love it.
sieken, you got to admit Litteredsea45 is entertaining.
U of L newest commit finished his last season at Northwestern 3 carries for -2 yards, 1 catch for 6 yards!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/22/2014 12:35 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 



Badinage wrote: I cannot believe there is a post condoning or rationalizing probation.

Petrino is doing what he has to do. It is not the only way.

Stoops' first 1.5 years, from a player acquisition perspective, has been as good as UK could ever reasonably hope. He has a plan. It is a good plan. I am happy with the plan.
I cannot believe there is a post condoning or rationalizing playing by the rules when UK has lost to multiple teams 10 to 20 years in a row.  Some of those streaks have recently been snapped but that aint good enough.  Just getting 4 to 5 wins a year with a fluke SEC win against a demoralized SEC team doesn't help.  That win against Tennessee in 2011 doesn't count in my book. 

How many years of loses in a row would it take to change your mind?  30 years or maybe 40 years or how about 50 years?

Last edited 6/22/2014 12:42 PM by Bigbluesea90

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/22/2014 4:59 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


I think you know how stupid you sound. I think it is purposeful and you would never advocate such a position for your real team.

But, regardless of the chum you spew, I will say I would rather win in the Sunbelt than have a staff follow your direction and win in the SEC.



---------------------------------------------
--- Bigbluesea90 wrote:


Badinage wrote: I cannot believe there is a post condoning or rationalizing probation.

Petrino is doing what he has to do. It is not the only way.

Stoops' first 1.5 years, from a player acquisition perspective, has been as good as UK could ever reasonably hope. He has a plan. It is a good plan. I am happy with the plan.
I cannot believe there is a post condoning or rationalizing playing by the rules when UK has lost to multiple teams 10 to 20 years in a row.  Some of those streaks have recently been snapped but that aint good enough.  Just getting 4 to 5 wins a year with a fluke SEC win against a demoralized SEC team doesn't help.  That win against Tennessee in 2011 doesn't count in my book. 

How many years of loses in a row would it take to change your mind?  30 years or maybe 40 years or how about 50 years?

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 11:38 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


I would not condone violating ncaa rules, but having self-imposed standards that exceed those of other schools with whom we are competing is simply ludicrous. UL is doing nothing wrong by accepting players suspended from other teams nor is any other school that does the same thing.
Now that fans realize they have the power to influence decisions relative to the athletic program, continued losing will result in subsequent action by the fans. Winning at all costs (even if it means breaking the rules)and subsequent placement on probation is not acceptable. Nor is losing while adhering to more "honorable" or "noble" standards than our competition. Doing either will result in another deserved exodus of football ticket holders.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 1:22 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


I disagree, ram.  It is not ludicrous.  You may take a different perspective and you have voiced that in the past.  You have advocated in the Petrino/Strong transfer method.

But, if a coach sees structure, discipline, and actively recruiting a type of player who seems to exhibit character as a system of coaching that leads to the best team atmosphere, and that means not taking chances with kids who have demonstrated they have been selfish at other programs, that is not ludicrous.  It just differs from your approach.

That does not mean a coach is not for kids getting second chances.  Stoops, if he takes such a position, knows that the Petrinos of the world are going to jump on SEC kids who break rules and are found school-less.  Petrino, assuming he has not changed, takes a fear of hell approach with his kids to keep them in line.  That seems to be the reason the coaches who follow him have problems, if their approach differs.

Stoops may feel he made a commitment to recruits and their families to TRY to bring in kids who do the right things and to set rules for those who trip and fall.  Rules that may lead to expulsion.

Nothing ludicrous about having a plan and sticking to that plan. It is not an attempt to be noble or honorable, but the realization that he can create the best team atmosphere when there are rules and he abides by his promises to mom and dad.  I would appreciate such a coach, if my sons where scholarship football players.  This way of doing things may be a key component in his recruiting successes to date.

You wanting him to mess with his plan may be ludicrous.  biggrin

ram1958 wrote: I would not condone violating ncaa rules, but having self-imposed standards that exceed those of other schools with whom we are competing is simply ludicrous. UL is doing nothing wrong by accepting players suspended from other teams nor is any other school that does the same thing.
Now that fans realize they have the power to influence decisions relative to the athletic program, continued losing will result in subsequent action by the fans. Winning at all costs (even if it means breaking the rules)and subsequent placement on probation is not acceptable. Nor is losing while adhering to more "honorable" or "noble" standards than our competition. Doing either will result in another deserved exodus of football ticket holders.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 3:14 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


Looks like UL is trying to compile a cast for their new movie, "The Longest Yard"!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 3:39 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


It isn't an "either/or" proposition.  You don't have to choose high character or talent.  You can recruit both and, in my opinion, choosing both is a better way to lay the foundation for a good program.

High character kids generally work better within your program in all aspects (film study, S&C training, diet, practice) than a kid who decides that he doesn't have to follow the rules despite being given multiple chances to do so.

Another alternative to having this stupid narrative (UK self-imposes restrictions) would be to see how these transfers pan out relative to UK's recruits.  The following guys are on UL's roster as transfers:

Robert Clark (WR) - 25 REC 219 YDS 1 TD in '13
Michael Dyer (RB) - 43 RUS 223 YDS 2 TDs in '13
Matt Milton (WR) - 1 REC 12 YDS in '13
Gerald Christian (TE) - 28 REC 426 YDS 4 TDs in '13

Josh Harvey-Clemons (S) - Not eligible until '15
Shaq Wiggins (CB) - Not eligible until '15
JaQuay Williams (WR) - Not eligible until '15
Malin Jones (RB) - Not eligible until '15

Christian had a pretty good year, but the remaining transfers were just pedestrian.  All four of the Strong transfers are done after this year.  The four Petrino transfers will be playing in '15, but it's a little early to cry about how great these players are before they ever play a snap.  Especially given that the four Strong transfers listed above have been average at best.

Last edited 6/23/2014 3:40 PM by KYCOL11

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 3:48 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


Christian had an all-conference worthy year, even if he was overlooked. Dyer was hurt, but not great before that point. I suspect he will thrive in Bobby P's offense. As will Christian. Not sure the other two amount to much. It is not as if Clark had a running QB for the past two years.

Time will tell on the others.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 4:23 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 



Badinage wrote: I cannot believe there is a post condoning or rationalizing probation.

Petrino is doing what he has to do. It is not the only way.

Stoops' first 1.5 years, from a player acquisition perspective, has been as good as UK could ever reasonably hope. He has a plan. It is a good plan. I am happy with the plan.
I think your recruiting has been outstanding.

Petrino has been pushing all the right buttons to show that he is a different person.  Maybe he is.  We'll all know after the first loss.

Matt Milton make quite an impact at the spring game.   If things hold together we may (may) have an offense even more potent than Brohm/Bush/Douglass.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 4:41 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


I think it possible that this will be UL's most potent offense. I think you have depth at all the skill positions, with the exception of QB. If Gardner, who is a strong athletic kid, remains healthy, UL could have an outstanding season. If he gets hurt, UL could lose some games it expects to win.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 6:39 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


If Coach Stoops believes he puts his team in a position to better compete in the SEC by not accepting kids with questionable character, I have no problem with that and applaud him for sticking with his plan to win. At this point I have total confidence in his coaching.  At the same time, I'm a big fan of coaches who are confident enough in their ability to manage kids that they are not afraid of kids with a background. At this point, Coach Stoops has done nothing to merit criticism and though Coach Petrino takes a different approach, neither has he.

My disagreement is when ability to compete plays second fiddle to other, unnecessarily self-imposed standards that are not adhered to by our competitors.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/23/2014 10:12 PM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 



ram1958 wrote: If Coach Stoops believes he puts his team in a position to better compete in the SEC by not accepting kids with questionable character, I have no problem with that and applaud him for sticking with his plan to win. At this point I have total confidence in his coaching.  At the same time, I'm a big fan of coaches who are confident enough in their ability to manage kids that they are not afraid of kids with a background. At this point, Coach Stoops has done nothing to merit criticism and though Coach Petrino takes a different approach, neither has he.

My disagreement is when ability to compete plays second fiddle to other, unnecessarily self-imposed standards that are not adhered to by our competitors.
Nobody follows the special golden rule in the south and that UK is by far the most ethical SEC school in the conference.  I don't know about either one of you but I would want more then just some SEC wins here and there.  Yes, SEC wins are nice but how about some SEC blowouts?  I want REVENGE!

When UK has a 20 point lead on SEC opponent headed into the 4th quarter, I want to push the lead and run the score up.  So many losses and so many blowouts over the years, how could possibly justify a winning season or two is going to cover up all the wounds?  Its not good enough, I want blood

I will be happy with consistent 8 to 10 wins seasons if Stoops is capable of such a feat but I would be much happier with consistent blowouts with the same results in the win/loss column.  This should be about more then just winning more games, going to a better bowl and continuing to keep the program clean.

Last edited 6/23/2014 10:29 PM by Bigbluesea90

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 8:27 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 



Bigbluesea90 wrote:
ram1958 wrote: If Coach Stoops believes he puts his team in a position to better compete in the SEC by not accepting kids with questionable character, I have no problem with that and applaud him for sticking with his plan to win. At this point I have total confidence in his coaching.  At the same time, I'm a big fan of coaches who are confident enough in their ability to manage kids that they are not afraid of kids with a background. At this point, Coach Stoops has done nothing to merit criticism and though Coach Petrino takes a different approach, neither has he.

My disagreement is when ability to compete plays second fiddle to other, unnecessarily self-imposed standards that are not adhered to by our competitors.
Nobody follows the special golden rule in the south and that UK is by far the most ethical SEC school in the conference.  I don't know about either one of you but I would want more then just some SEC wins here and there.  Yes, SEC wins are nice but how about some SEC blowouts?  I want REVENGE!

When UK has a 20 point lead on SEC opponent headed into the 4th quarter, I want to push the lead and run the score up.  So many losses and so many blowouts over the years, how could possibly justify a winning season or two is going to cover up all the wounds?  Its not good enough, I want blood

I will be happy with consistent 8 to 10 wins seasons if Stoops is capable of such a feat but I would be much happier with consistent blowouts with the same results in the win/loss column.  This should be about more then just winning more games, going to a better bowl and continuing to keep the program clean.
BB,
I sense some built up frustrations there.  The best year we've had in my lifetime was the 77 team.  They were strong enough they could have beaten anyone in the country.  Would I have given up the memories of that team just to be able to say we followed the rules?  Heck, no!   However, that best season perhaps in UK's history ended in frustration because we couldn't play in the Sugar Bowl.  (Because we got caught violating rules).

IMO, our priorities should be winning on a large scale while avoiding probation.   Do what we have to do rule-wise. Push the envelope as far as necessary but stay within the boundaries.   No more.  Just like have done for the last 60+ years in bball for the most part.

Last edited 6/24/2014 8:29 AM by ram1958

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 8:59 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 


That is not frustration to "sense."
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 9:52 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 



Bigbluesea90 wrote: 

I want REVENGE!

Its not good enough, I want blood

I will be happy with consistent 8 to 10 wins seasons if Stoops is capable of such a feat but I would be much happier with consistent blowouts with the same results in the win/loss column.
What a strange, sad creature you are.  You're discussing an athletic event that you neither compete in nor have any tangible stake other than a (supposed) rooting interest.

The weirdest part is that you wouldn't be satisfied with 8-10 wins per season with high-character kids, you want to win the same amount of games but by a higher score with kids dismissed from other programs.  The same amount of games.  As if you get some trophy for winning the same games but by a higher score.

Even if we could set aside your false narrative, that you need players dismissed from other programs to be competitive, your midset is that of a small-minded person who is entirely too wrapped up in the successes or failures of University of Kentucky athletics.

Here's reality:  You won't get revenge because revenge is "the action of inflicting hurt or harm on someone for an injury or wrong suffered at their hands."

I don't know about you, but I didn't lose any SEC games, by blowout or otherwise.  I'm disappointed when UK loses, but you need some perspective in your life.

Last edited 6/24/2014 9:53 AM by KYCOL11

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/24/2014 9:54 AM

Re: NW transfer to UL? 



Badinage wrote: I think it possible that this will be UL's most potent offense. I think you have depth at all the skill positions, with the exception of QB. If Gardner, who is a strong athletic kid, remains healthy, UL could have an outstanding season. If he gets hurt, UL could lose some games it expects to win.
You can say that about the qb of practically any team.

The concern to me will be defense.   A 3-4 pretty much requires a sumo-sized NT and I don't know if we have one who can fill the position.  That's probably one of the reasons you don't see a whole lot of 3-4 in college ball.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >