Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Who is Jackie Bradley?

Posted: 6/25/2011 2:12 AM

Who is Jackie Bradley? 


A sincere question, I see Jackie Bradley, Jr. this, Jackie Bradley, Jr. that. Is it like if he was just plain Jackie Bradley people would get him confused with his famous father? Dante Bichette, Jr I fully understand, Dale Earnhardt Jr I get, Ken Griffey, Jr, yes. Jackie Bradley Jr. ? How bout just Jackie Bradley.

Last edited 6/25/2011 2:15 AM by FMJacket

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2011 7:58 AM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


Why would you call a guy by his dad's name? He's a Jr, 2 more letters, just call him Jackie Bradley Jr. To answer your question, he's a really good outfielder for the Gamecock baseball team, and he's coming off an injury.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2011 8:05 AM

Re: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


same reason a few of my friends who are "Jr's" are called "Jr" by most everyone.



---------------------------------------------
--- FMJacket wrote:

A sincere question, I see Jackie Bradley, Jr. this, Jackie Bradley, Jr. that. Is it like if he was just plain Jackie Bradley people would get him confused with his famous father? Dante Bichette, Jr I fully understand, Dale Earnhardt Jr I get, Ken Griffey, Jr, yes. Jackie Bradley Jr. ? How bout just Jackie Bradley.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
  • SumpE
  • Ring of Honor
  • Rating: 3.0/5 this site
  • 5097 posts this site

Posted: 6/25/2011 9:27 PM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


I think the point is most "Jr's" are called that in sports because their dad is someone famous. Did his dad excel in sports?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/25/2011 11:02 PM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 




---------------------------------------------
--- SumpE wrote:

I think the point is most "Jr's" are called that in sports because their dad is someone famous. Did his dad excel in sports?

---------------------------------------------

They should be called Juniors anyway shouldn't they. I don't think very many juniors who are famous wouldn't be called junior. If Dale Earnhardt Sr wasn't famous do you think Junior wouldn't be called Junior? Even though Sr isn't famous if you just called Junior Dale Earnhardt then you wouldn't be talking about junior.

If you say Martin Luther King, who are you talking about? Sammy Davis? If I say Ronald Reagan you won't be thinking about his son.

I think most Juniors are called junior in anything because that's what they are.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2011 12:11 AM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


My apologies. Maybe I should have typed slower. :) If Dale Earnhardt was not a known race car driver, his son would be know to the racing world as Dale Earnhardt, not Dale Earnhardt, Jr. If Dante Bichette had never played baseball in the major leagues, his son would be known to the baseball world as simply Dante Bichette. In athletics, historically, a JR is used to separate the famous father from the famous son. The initial question was 'Who is Jackie Bradley?'

FMJacket, Jr.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2011 8:48 AM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 




---------------------------------------------
--- FMJacket wrote:

My apologies. Maybe I should have typed slower. :) If Dale Earnhardt was not a known race car driver, his son would be know to the racing world as Dale Earnhardt, not Dale Earnhardt, Jr. If Dante Bichette had never played baseball in the major leagues, his son would be known to the baseball world as simply Dante Bichette. In athletics, historically, a JR is used to separate the famous father from the famous son. The initial question was 'Who is Jackie Bradley?'

FMJacket, Jr.

---------------------------------------------

I don't think so, I think most Jrs would make it known that they have a father of the same name and it's needs to be distinguished between the two, I would. You didn't need to type slower just put it a better way. As I showed, there are Jrs out there that are way more famous than their fathers but they still use the Jr suffix.

I don't know of anything Jackie Bradley has done to make his name famous, unless you include having his son and raising him as a ball player.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2011 9:16 AM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 



I'll admit, as many times as I've watched Jackie Bradley, Jr - I've never thought to myself "I wonder why he goes by that since his dad wasn't famous"


I guess I've just always realize that sometimes you get known by a name when you are young to distinguish yourself from someone else- and it just sticks. Most people don't change it later in life - at least not anyone that I know.


What an incredibly interesting topic though.



---------------------------------------------
--- SumpE wrote:

I think the point is most "Jr's" are called that in sports because their dad is someone famous. Did his dad excel in sports?

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2011 11:30 AM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


Now I want to do some research! Good points made. I wonder if there has ever been anyone in sports known as a pronounced JR each time their name is mentioned that did not have a famous father. I do not think Roy Jones, Jr. had a famous father, but he is the only one I can think of off hand. All of the others have famous dads. Ken Norton, Dante Bichette, Ken Griffey, Dale Earnhardt, Cal Ripken, Floyd Mayweather is a junior but he is noted as a "JR" everytime he is mentioned. Not that is a big issue, it is just that in sports a JR makes you wonder who the senior was. As we were watching the CWS some buddies and I wondered who Jackie Bradley, SR was, since the camera kept showing him in the stands so often.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2011 1:47 PM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


I have been watching Jackie Bradley, Jr. for 3 years and it never occurred to me to wonder why he was called that; and I never made the distinction that it should only be done if the father was famous. I've seen some nit picky issues raised, but this one takes the cake. (There is no real cake. I just heard someone say that once. I don't know why.)
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2011 4:33 PM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


LOL you may be right! I really was just curious.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/26/2011 4:58 PM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


it could be because he simply wants to honor his father and thought playing college baseball - it would be great if he told everyone that he prefers to be called junior because he knew it would reflect on his dad.

just a guess though as I've never given it a second thought.

(Tori Gurley(formerly WR at USC) changed his last name out of respect for his stepfather)

---------------------------------------------
--- FMJacket wrote:

Not that is a big issue, it is just that in sports a JR makes you wonder who the senior was. As we were watching the CWS some buddies and I wondered who Jackie Bradley, SR was, since the camera kept showing him in the stands so often.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2011 12:43 AM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


I can see his point, but it may just be what he has been called all these years throughout school that it just stuck by with him

my dad is Jr and my brother is the III in our chain of names, but my dad uses his middle name as his first at the moment and my brother doesnt go by the third unless its for mail coming to our parents home.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/27/2011 12:41 PM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


Does anyone know the original Sammy Davis?
Reply | Quote
  • cutigersco
  • Letterman
  • Rating: 3.2/5 this site
  • 778 posts this site

Posted: 6/27/2011 11:06 PM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


If Jackie Bradley, Sr. is not well known for something (sports related or otherwise), why is his picture on TV EVERY TIME Jackie Jr. comes to the plate (if nothing else, Jackie Sr is now famous for being the father of Jackie Jr). ESPN goes out of their way to put Jackie Sr's face on the camera whenever there is a Jackie Jr reference.

Last edited 6/27/2011 11:07 PM by cutigersco

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/28/2011 1:21 PM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 




---------------------------------------------
--- cutigersco wrote:

If Jackie Bradley, Sr. is not well known for something (sports related or otherwise), why is his picture on TV EVERY TIME Jackie Jr. comes to the plate (if nothing else, Jackie Sr is now famous for being the father of Jackie Jr). ESPN goes out of their way to put Jackie Sr's face on the camera whenever there is a Jackie Jr reference.

---------------------------------------------

Not sure, they do show him a lot though. I hope they show him a lot next year too.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/13/2011 6:25 PM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


Jackie Bradley Sr is that guy whose millionaire kid bought him a house........
Reply | Quote

Posted: 7/13/2011 9:58 PM

RE: Who is Jackie Bradley? 


Whos his rich kid that bought him a house? I didnt know jr. had a million.Does Carolina pay that well?
Reply | Quote