Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox

good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places

Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 7:59 AM

good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 


we went from:
"so on and so forth"  J. Tressel   to
"I want an angry team-they are fun to coach"  U. Meyer.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 8:10 AM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 


Not on point with Rutgers, but SB Nation really doesn't have a handle on the area or team so it is not surprising. Jersey would be a sub sandwich in my view (Jersey Mike's) as the most diverse of all of the B1G states. You can get what you want, but sometimes there are too many choices for a sub shop. Others might argue Pizza hut, but in reality we were one of the last states to get a chain pizza store due to the great number of mom and pop pizza stores. I can go on as to why the sub shop fits, but it definitely is not white castle and definitely not for the reasons posed.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 8:37 AM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 



Tjl630 wrote: Not on point with Rutgers, but SB Nation really doesn't have a handle on the area or team so it is not surprising. Jersey would be a sub sandwich in my view (Jersey Mike's) as the most diverse of all of the B1G states. You can get what you want, but sometimes there are too many choices for a sub shop. Others might argue Pizza hut, but in reality we were one of the last states to get a chain pizza store due to the great number of mom and pop pizza stores. I can go on as to why the sub shop fits, but it definitely is not white castle and definitely not for the reasons posed.

love me some Jersey Mike's!

we went from:
"so on and so forth"  J. Tressel   to
"I want an angry team-they are fun to coach"  U. Meyer.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 9:24 AM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 


I thought this was pretty good.  I am not much of a fast-food eater, typically I'll go toward the Subway route and avoid burgers and fries, though when I do, I go to Arby's so I found the author's Arby hate a bit odd, but I did like how he linked their constant re-branding to IU's.

I busted out laughing on comparing Purdue to Rax.  I think there is still one in central Indiana in Anderson.  I remember them as a kid before most went out of biz, I always got a kid's roast beef and an alligator sandwich. 

Was a little disappointing there weren't any common Pizza chains, seems like someone could have been bleh Dominoes and where is Burger King?
-------------------------------------------------------
Colts and Boilermakers fan to the core
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 9:26 AM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 



honestbuckeye wrote:
Tjl630 wrote: Not on point with Rutgers, but SB Nation really doesn't have a handle on the area or team so it is not surprising. Jersey would be a sub sandwich in my view (Jersey Mike's) as the most diverse of all of the B1G states. You can get what you want, but sometimes there are too many choices for a sub shop. Others might argue Pizza hut, but in reality we were one of the last states to get a chain pizza store due to the great number of mom and pop pizza stores. I can go on as to why the sub shop fits, but it definitely is not white castle and definitely not for the reasons posed.

love me some Jersey Mike's!
Me too.  I frequented the one in WLaf before it went out of biz.  I think there's 1 or 2 in Indy., though I haven't been to them.
-------------------------------------------------------
Colts and Boilermakers fan to the core
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 9:30 AM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 


I guess they don't realize Five Guys was founded by a Michigan grad....

When your team is winning be ready to be tough, because winning can make you soft. On the other hand, when your team is losing, stick by them. Keep believing

Bo Schembechler
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 9:52 AM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 



Tjl630 wrote: Not on point with Rutgers, but SB Nation really doesn't have a handle on the area or team so it is not surprising. Jersey would be a sub sandwich in my view (Jersey Mike's) as the most diverse of all of the B1G states. You can get what you want, but sometimes there are too many choices for a sub shop. Others might argue Pizza hut, but in reality we were one of the last states to get a chain pizza store due to the great number of mom and pop pizza stores. I can go on as to why the sub shop fits, but it definitely is not white castle and definitely not for the reasons posed.
I think you missed the point.

MSU has no connection to Wendy's either.  They are saying Rutgers is to college football what White Castle is to food options.  Same re: MSU and Wendy's.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 10:07 AM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 


I just got a chuckle out of it-- he actually took a little shot at all of the schools.   wink

we went from:
"so on and so forth"  J. Tressel   to
"I want an angry team-they are fun to coach"  U. Meyer.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 10:16 AM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 


Taco Bell can certainly turn my stomach just as much as Illinois football sometimes does.

http://news.illinois.edu/WebsandThumbs/athletics/SFC_Bowl_Updated_Court-x.jpg

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 11:02 AM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 


I work near  an area of nearly all of the major sandwich chains within about 1 mile in the Indy area. (Jersey Mike's, Firehouse, Jimmy Johns, Subway, DiBella's, Lenny's, Penn Station)  Jersey Mike's is very well run, though Penn Station (also well run) has superior bread.   I never understood the affair people have w Subway.

The UW comp. for Culver's is a good one as they describe.  I am disappointed though in that many people's introduction to frozen custard is Culver's as it is such an inferior product compared to many others within the state.

I enjoyed their knock on Portillo's for Northwestern (although not sure how it fits Northwestern).  Definitely has an 'In and Out' cult to it, where people are basically worshipping a hot dog and sandwich place.  It's perfectly fine, but hardly at the level its disciples suggest.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 11:06 AM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 


any Italian Beef fans?

IMO, Portillo's has the best one in Chicago (of the ones I've consumed)
- it melts in your mouth ... especially when dipped in the juice

If u try any others (e.g. Al's [too dry], Mr. Beef [been forever but I don't remember it making the same kind of impact]), u can notice the difference
NORTHWESTERN WILDCATS
Top-14 finish in the conference each year
Stellar 2-9 bowl record
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 12:04 PM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 


I think there are several places to get really good italian beef sandwiches in the entire Tri-state area, including my house.  It is a must, IMO, to serve it 'wet' 

I'venever been to Al's.

Portillo's is high quality, but it isn't the rout some suggest.

I'm surprised the sandwich doesn't have more national appeal, to me it whips a cheeseteak
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 6:47 PM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 



MarqHusker wrote: I think there are several places to get really good italian beef sandwiches in the entire Tri-state area, including my house.  It is a must, IMO, to serve it 'wet' 

I'venever been to Al's.

Portillo's is high quality, but it isn't the rout some suggest.

I'm surprised the sandwich doesn't have more national appeal, to me it whips a cheeseteak
I think Italian beefs don't have the national reputation because they are not at all consistent.  Granted my sample size isn't very big, but every time I've tried to eat an Italian beef the beef looks, feels, and tastes like one of my work boots.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 7:40 PM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 


You know what's sad?

Iowa is the only state in the US that doesn't have a Five Guys.

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme." -- Mark Twain
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 8:09 PM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 


That may be true, but Iowa does have a couple Runza's.  I'd trade all the Five Guys in Indy for a Runza, and I like Five Guys, burgers, except for the fact that they rough dice their onions.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/30/2014 8:21 PM

Re: good stuff: Big Ten teams as fast food places 


I'm pretty sure the Runza restaurants in Iowa are located in the western portions of the state as it is a Nebraska-based chain.  I know they have at least one location in South Dakota as well.

I also miss Bebops in Central Iowa. 

"History doesn't repeat itself, but it does rhyme." -- Mark Twain
Reply | Quote