Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Redskins

Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 3:12 PM

Redskins 


    Is the name "racist"

  1. Poll closed on 06/25/2014
  2. Yes: 10 votes
  3. No: 17 votes
HIGH OCTANE!!!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 3:20 PM

Re: Redskins 


Probably but so is the Cleveland Indians, Atlanta Braves, Big Chief Produce Co., Red Man tobacco and many others.  Just change the logo on the helmet to that 'R' logo that Joe Gibbs used to wear on his hat and most would be okay.


Bear Down on this!!!  41-34 and 58-21 'nuff said
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/18/2014 3:27 PM

Re: Redskins 


Native Americans had no problem with the name when the Redskins first formed, in fact, the name was to honor them and they accepted it that way.  These politically correct people need to educate themselves on the history of this. 

If the Redskins are bullied into changing their name, this will only invigorate the PC crowd.  They still wont be happy and will push for more.  Isn't there enough problems in this country that deserves more focus from our "leaders".  This issue just amazes me.

"I didn't come here to win on a Saturday, I came to win here every day"

Todd Graham

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 4:48 PM

Re: Redskins 


It is only offensive if it you make it that way.
HIGH OCTANE!!!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/18/2014 5:08 PM

Re: Redskins 


+100
HigleyDevil wrote: It is only offensive if it you make it that way.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 2:03 AM

Re: Redskins 


All of them? Many native groups have been protesting this name for years
Devilution wrote: Native Americans had no problem with the name when the Redskins first formed, in fact, the name was to honor them and they accepted it that way.  These politically correct people need to educate themselves on the history of this. 

If the Redskins are bullied into changing their name, this will only invigorate the PC crowd.  They still wont be happy and will push for more.  Isn't there enough problems in this country that deserves more focus from our "leaders".  This issue just amazes me.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 2:48 AM

Re: Redskins 


Problem solved.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 6:52 AM

Re: Redskins 


Well played^^^^^^^^^^^^^
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 10:26 AM

Re: Redskins 


There is a very basic test to use to answer the poll question.  If you met a Native American person for the first time, would you use the phrase "redskin" in conversation with them?  Would you say, "Hello, redskin.  Nice to meet you."

If the answer is no, then the answer to the poll question is obvious.  And in this situation, the answer is obvious - the term is a racial slur and has been recognized as offensive for decades in everyday language.

I'm not a fan of the PC police and often point out their ridiculous claims; however, this is a term obviously based on the color of one's skin and, as I said above, understood for decades to be offensive.

I would love to rage against the PC machine, but this situation is so obvious that I honestly can't understand how anyone would say the term redskin is not offensive.
E

***The opinions stated by BigESunDvl are his alone and do not necessarily represent those of DevilsDigest.com or its staff.***
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 11:18 AM

Re: Redskins 


The Redskins have already fought and won this fight already. There is no basis that Red Skin is a racial slur because the term was originally native american in origin.

Last edited 6/19/2014 11:19 AM by WestCoastDevil

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 11:58 AM

Re: Redskins 



WestCoastDevil wrote: The Redskins have already fought and won this fight already. There is no basis that Red Skin is a racial slur because the term was originally native american in origin.
The origin of the word has zero to do with whether the term is offensive now (or when the TMs were filed, which is what the recent USPTO decision looked into).
E

***The opinions stated by BigESunDvl are his alone and do not necessarily represent those of DevilsDigest.com or its staff.***
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 12:08 PM

Re: Redskins 


correct. Morals change over time. Time for a new mascot and logo
BigESunDvl wrote:
WestCoastDevil wrote: The Redskins have already fought and won this fight already. There is no basis that Red Skin is a racial slur because the term was originally native american in origin.
The origin of the word has zero to do with whether the term is offensive now (or when the TMs were filed, which is what the recent USPTO decision looked into).
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 2:01 PM

Re: Redskins 



BigESunDvl wrote: There is a very basic test to use to answer the poll question.  If you met a Native American person for the first time, would you use the phrase "redskin" in conversation with them?  Would you say, "Hello, redskin.  Nice to meet you."




So if we follow your logic, then we would have to do away with the word "white" when associating with lighter skin people from European ancestry.

Should we use the word "white" in conversation with them? Would you say, "Hello white guy. Nice to meet you" ?

So, my point is that we should not allow the PC crowd to chip away at our freedoms.  If the situation was really so bad as they say, individuals would exercise their right to boycott the NFL product.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/19/2014 2:10 PM

Re: Redskins 


Oh what total BS, of course the word is a slur!
And there are no freedoms being chipped away either!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 2:31 PM

Re: Redskins 



TheDevilSpawn wrote:
BigESunDvl wrote: There is a very basic test to use to answer the poll question.  If you met a Native American person for the first time, would you use the phrase "redskin" in conversation with them?  Would you say, "Hello, redskin.  Nice to meet you."




So if we follow your logic, then we would have to do away with the word "white" when associating with lighter skin people from European ancestry.

Should we use the word "white" in conversation with them? Would you say, "Hello white guy. Nice to meet you" ?

So, my point is that we should not allow the PC crowd to chip away at our freedoms.  If the situation was really so bad as they say, individuals would exercise their right to boycott the NFL product.
You really view "white guy" and "redskin" as the same?  You believe a news anchor saying, "The suspect is a white guy" is the same as them saying, "The suspect is a redskin?"

For your example above to have any relevance to this conversation, you would need to believe that.
E

***The opinions stated by BigESunDvl are his alone and do not necessarily represent those of DevilsDigest.com or its staff.***
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 2:42 PM

Re: Redskins 


Sets a precedent.  What is next?  The Yankees, Fighting Sioux, Fighting Irish, KC Chiefs, Cleveland Indians, ASU Sun Devils, Utah Utes, FSU Seminoles, Atlanta Braves, Brooklyn Italians, Golden State Warriors, Oakland Raiders, Minnesota Vikings, Chicago Blackhawks, Vancouver Canucks, the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...nd_mascot_names
HIGH OCTANE!!!!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 2:50 PM

Re: Redskins 



HigleyDevil wrote: Sets a precedent.  What is next?  The Yankees, Fighting Sioux, Fighting Irish, KC Chiefs, Cleveland Indians, ASU Sun Devils, Utah Utes, FSU Seminoles, Atlanta Braves, Brooklyn Italians, Golden State Warriors, Oakland Raiders, Minnesota Vikings, Chicago Blackhawks, Vancouver Canucks, the list goes on and on and on and on and on and on.


http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/L...nd_mascot_names
Slippery slope arguments rarely have much merit.  Of the ones you've mentioned, there is little issue with any of them.  Most are tribe names, not skin color references. Huge difference.
E

***The opinions stated by BigESunDvl are his alone and do not necessarily represent those of DevilsDigest.com or its staff.***
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/19/2014 3:20 PM

Re: Redskins 


Lets say me and a bunch of my yankee friends from blue states buy the Tennessee Titans.  We then decide to change the name to the Tennessee Rednecks.

Should that be allowed to stand?

Last edited 6/19/2014 3:21 PM by culturalstew

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 6/19/2014 4:23 PM

Re: Redskins 



culturalstew wrote: Lets say me and a bunch of my yankee friends from blue states buy the Tennessee Titans.  We then decide to change the name to the Tennessee Rednecks.

Should that be allowed to stand?
It would have to go through a league wide vote.
HIGH OCTANE!!!!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 6/19/2014 5:27 PM

Re: Redskins 



BigESunDvl wrote: There is a very basic test to use to answer the poll question.  If you met a Native American person for the first time, would you use the phrase "redskin" in conversation with them?  Would you say, "Hello, redskin.  Nice to meet you."

No, but I wouldn't use Brave or Indian either.  

I love how it's sooooo obvious how racist this name is, that a decade ago no one gave a second thought to it.  It's amazing how enlightened our "leaders" have become in the last few years.

We're all those clamoring about it now, racist a few years ago for not saying anything?

Last edited 6/19/2014 5:28 PM by mexicostateuniversity

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >