Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 2  

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey..

Avatar

Posted: 1/24/2012 4:05 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 


You are right. TO each his own. I have been to a few of those campuses as well and don't have the same opinion.

AU fans are going to say ASU offered and ASU fans are going to side with the majority of recruiting outlets and say he wasn't. It does not matter. He has one good game that got him attention and ASU already have more talented recruits committed. 
zonacat00 wrote:
WestCoastDevil wrote:
CatMG wrote:
WestCoastDevil wrote:
ASU06grad wrote: Griffey's son wants to go to Tucson?  eek1
Nobody else wanted him.

Considering asu offered him (according to scout), I would assume they wanted him.
According to R*vals and others on this site, he never was. I tend to believe the majority in this case since Griffey is such a low ranked player. Plus we have commits from several MUCH higher ranked WRs in this class.
roll.gif

Really? Like who? Griffey was offered by ASU. Get over it. He went in another direction. 

I've been to USC, UCLA, ASU, Colorado, Texas, Washington and Nebraska. I think Arizona has the nicest campus of out all those schools however UCLA and Texas are really nice. Colorado is probably the worst. Hated it. Arizona has a NICE campus. The area directly surrounding the U is old and run down though. Plenty of other parts of the city are great. Foothills? Oro Valley? East side? Tucson Mountains? Those areas are awesome. Is it Scottsdale? No. But I'd rather live in the Tucson foothills than in Scottsdale. To each his own.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/24/2012 4:58 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 



zonacat00 wrote:
WestCoastDevil wrote:
CatMG wrote:
WestCoastDevil wrote:
ASU06grad wrote: Griffey's son wants to go to Tucson?  eek1
Nobody else wanted him.

Considering asu offered him (according to scout), I would assume they wanted him.
According to R*vals and others on this site, he never was. I tend to believe the majority in this case since Griffey is such a low ranked player. Plus we have commits from several MUCH higher ranked WRs in this class.
roll.gif

Really? Like who? Griffey was offered by ASU. Get over it. He went in another direction. 

I've been to USC, UCLA, ASU, Colorado, Texas, Washington and Nebraska. I think Arizona has the nicest campus of out all those schools however UCLA and Texas are really nice. Colorado is probably the worst. Hated it. Arizona has a NICE campus. The area directly surrounding the U is old and run down though. Plenty of other parts of the city are great. Foothills? Oro Valley? East side? Tucson Mountains? Those areas are awesome. Is it Scottsdale? No. But I'd rather live in the Tucson foothills than in Scottsdale. To each his own.
You are absolutely insane to think that Arizona has a nicer campus than Colorado, Texas and UCLA. Insane.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/24/2012 5:02 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 


i think it's a flippin' joke that ASU fans STILL ramble on and on about their campus as though athletes give a rats a$$.... recruit after recruit turns down asu and their campus and their weather and the co-eds... at some point you'll all realize that that crap matters very little.
KCaldwell50 wrote:


agreed.gif


I still can't ever get over how anyone, especially someone from out of state would choose Tucson over Tempe/Valley when they have visited both campuses.

Flippin JOKE.

Last edited 1/24/2012 5:04 PM by xCATSx

Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/24/2012 6:40 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 


Congrats on your higher rated recruits. Wait how are they higer rated again? According to Rivals asjc has the lowest rated recruiting class in the Pac 12. Oh,yeah and your rival with its worst team in 5 years just beat your best team in 5 years. You guys are just a total joke. At least you have basketball to look forward to.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/24/2012 7:37 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 


You can refer to the UofA as a "joke" as long as we keep beating you on the gridiron.  One thing both Wildcats and Sun Devils can agree on, however, is that your athletic department's leadership is a joke. 

I don't think any rational fan wants high school athletes to commit to their school based on reasons like weather, co-eds, etc.  Maybe that stuff can be a tipping point if all other factors are considered to be equal, but student-athletes who make college decisions based upon co-eds seem like the type who'd be caught on camera committing larceny.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/24/2012 8:47 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 


If Griffey's kid played baseball he'd be coming here.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 1/24/2012 9:06 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 




---------------------------------------------
--- 4everDevil wrote:

If Griffey's kid played baseball he'd be coming here.

---------------------------------------------

Why, to play for a team thats on probation. I'm sure dad would be inboard with that.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2012 2:42 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 


Yah, because no recruits ever go to schools on probation...
zeke123 wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- 4everDevil wrote:

If Griffey's kid played baseball he'd be coming here.

---------------------------------------------

Why, to play for a team thats on probation. I'm sure dad would be inboard with that.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2012 2:45 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 


So you speak for athletes do you? How is it that recruits often mention the campus in interviews? It is a factor. It is a joke to think those things don't play a factor however big or small they may be. If recruits keep turning down ASU for those reasons then what does that say about all of the same recruits that do the same to AU?
xCATSx wrote: i think it's a flippin' joke that ASU fans STILL ramble on and on about their campus as though athletes give a rats a$$.... recruit after recruit turns down asu and their campus and their weather and the co-eds... at some point you'll all realize that that crap matters very little.
KCaldwell50 wrote:


agreed.gif


I still can't ever get over how anyone, especially someone from out of state would choose Tucson over Tempe/Valley when they have visited both campuses.

Flippin JOKE.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/25/2012 3:14 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 



TennesseeDevil wrote: So you speak for athletes do you? How is it that recruits often mention the campus in interviews? It is a factor. It is a joke to think those things don't play a factor however big or small they may be. If recruits keep turning down ASU for those reasons then what does that say about all of the same recruits that do the same to AU?
xCATSx wrote: i think it's a flippin' joke that ASU fans STILL ramble on and on about their campus as though athletes give a rats a$$.... recruit after recruit turns down asu and their campus and their weather and the co-eds... at some point you'll all realize that that crap matters very little.
KCaldwell50 wrote:


agreed.gif


I still can't ever get over how anyone, especially someone from out of state would choose Tucson over Tempe/Valley when they have visited both campuses.

Flippin JOKE.

It's a factor but apparently it's one of the least important factors. Tradition, coaching, higher chances to go pro and facilities are the most important, according to a segment on ESPN that I was watching today. Academics, family history (Dad is an alum, uncle played at a certain place), or personal loyalty are all semi important. Least important but can be factors include weather, co-eds, location and social life. 

That doesn't bode well for either ASU or Arizona. Arizona doesn't have the tradition. ASU doesn't have the coaching. ASU has more pros in the league but Arizona will have far superior facilities in a few months. Neither program can compete with USC, Oregon or Washington on a consistent basis until all four of those things are improved. Forget about the weather and "being in the Valley of the Sun" or ASU's social life. It doesn't matter to recruits.
HodeASU is my hero. Todd Graham is who I aspire to be.

Last edited 1/25/2012 3:15 PM by zonacat00

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/26/2012 10:10 AM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 


You say they are factors, albeit small, but still factors then you say they don't matter. Might want to make up your mind of that.

I agree that the things you listed are more important. However, your statement that we don't have the coaching is laughable considering Dick Rod ran UM into the ground with his great coaching skills and the top 10 recruiting classes he had. Make excuses for this if you want but it won't sway anyone here. ASU has the tradition and that will trump facilities for most kids. It isn't like our facilities are second rate anyway so that is hardly something that kids will use against ASU. 
zonacat00 wrote:
TennesseeDevil wrote: So you speak for athletes do you? How is it that recruits often mention the campus in interviews? It is a factor. It is a joke to think those things don't play a factor however big or small they may be. If recruits keep turning down ASU for those reasons then what does that say about all of the same recruits that do the same to AU?
xCATSx wrote: i think it's a flippin' joke that ASU fans STILL ramble on and on about their campus as though athletes give a rats a$$.... recruit after recruit turns down asu and their campus and their weather and the co-eds... at some point you'll all realize that that crap matters very little.
KCaldwell50 wrote:


agreed.gif


I still can't ever get over how anyone, especially someone from out of state would choose Tucson over Tempe/Valley when they have visited both campuses.

Flippin JOKE.

It's a factor but apparently it's one of the least important factors. Tradition, coaching, higher chances to go pro and facilities are the most important, according to a segment on ESPN that I was watching today. Academics, family history (Dad is an alum, uncle played at a certain place), or personal loyalty are all semi important. Least important but can be factors include weather, co-eds, location and social life. 

That doesn't bode well for either ASU or Arizona. Arizona doesn't have the tradition. ASU doesn't have the coaching. ASU has more pros in the league but Arizona will have far superior facilities in a few months. Neither program can compete with USC, Oregon or Washington on a consistent basis until all four of those things are improved. Forget about the weather and "being in the Valley of the Sun" or ASU's social life. It doesn't matter to recruits.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/26/2012 5:49 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 




Let's put it this way. If you had multiple offers from companies who wanted you to intern for 3-4 years and your choice would affect the rest of your life, would you give a sh1t what the building looked like?

---------------------------------------------
--- TennesseeDevil wrote:

So you speak for athletes do you? How is it that recruits often mention the campus in interviews? It is a factor. It is a joke to think those things don't play a factor however big or small they may be. If recruits keep turning down ASU for those reasons then what does that say about all of the same recruits that do the same to AU?
xCATSx wrote: i think it's a flippin' joke that ASU fans STILL ramble on and on about their campus as though athletes give a rats a$$.... recruit after recruit turns down asu and their campus and their weather and the co-eds... at some point you'll all realize that that crap matters very little.
KCaldwell50 wrote:
agreed.gif


I still can't ever get over how anyone, especially someone from out of state would choose Tucson over Tempe/VKalley when they have visited both campuses.

Flippin JOKE.



---------------------------------------------

---------------------------------------------

Last edited 1/27/2012 8:20 AM by xCATSx

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/26/2012 6:02 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 



TennesseeDevil wrote: The problem with AU is that once you get off campus you are still in Tucson. 
zonacat00 wrote:
ASU06grad wrote: Griffey's son wants to go to Tucson?  eek1
The Arizona campus is gorgeous. ASU has a nice campus as well. Maybe he wanted to play for RR. 

USC is in an absolutely horrible part of LA but they still get whatever recruits they want pretty much.
And your in Tempe the whole time, and Tempe isnt the safest place nowadays. Besides you guys liking ASU your missing the whole point. Tucson is a College town, Period. U of A is the show there and most kids that go to college want to go to school in a smaller town versus living in a sprawling metropolis, thus the reason the Phoenix Valley has the highest concentration of Arizona fans.I moved to phoenix in 91 before moving out of arizona. 30 years ago(if any of you where alive) Tempe was smaller than Tucson and had a lot less to offer. There was no Pro sports back then in the Valley so ASU was it. Now Phoenix is no longer ASU's town. The Cardinals outdraw the sundevils because why would a fixed income family waste money to good see mediocre to OK college football, when they can go see mediocre NFL team that occasionally gets hot. U of P is a nice stadium with new amenities. and is just overall friendly. The Diamondbacks season also runs during ASU football season also the same thing, if they are in the middle of a pennant race, the D backs own the phoenix sports market at that point, if the D backs are playing in the NLCS on the same night the Sun Devils are playing Cal thats a no brainer who wins that battle. The only thing that turns the Valley Maroon and Gold is a BCS national championship or compete for one year in and year out. There are too many choices in the valley and sadly the the sundevils cannot compete with the NFL or MLB phoenix product

The valley 30-50 years ago belonged to ASU, now unless your diehard noone really even pays attention to you. Your attendance was up this year but in the scope of major college football it was really a dud. U of A is the only team that calls tucson home and runs the market and the attention is squarely on them. yes U of A attendance was down but over the past few years, U of A outdrew ASU despite Arizona stadium being 20,000 seats smaller.

I know i know tucson is a dump. Tucson isnt for everyone just like tempe isnt for everyone. Most people that go to school dont wanna go in a big city. I can back this theory up. Out of the top ten College football programs only ONE resides in a major city and market.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/27/2012 9:46 AM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 


Yes, you are still in Tempe but 5 minutes away is Scottsdale and 10-15 minutes is Chandler and Ahwatukee. Both nicer than Tucson as well. UA does have the advantage of being the only show in town but just like Phoenix, Tucson is full of bandwagon fans and when your team is losing the fans disappear there too. Ever think Phoenix has the highest concentration of UA fans simply due to population? Phoenix is a melting pot not just for out-of-staters but for in-state fans as well. People leave Tucson for Phoenix because there is more there. You point about the pro sports teams proves that. Phoenix has way more to offer any resident than Tucson does. The pro teams being there does not hurt Tempe in any way when it comes to recruits. Recruits that want to be in a small town may chose Tucson over Tempe but I doubt that happens very often. 

You can't really say over the past few years AU has outdrawn ASU because last year ASU drew about 15k more per game. Have they recently? Maybe but I don't have the energy to look right now. 

The point is that, IMO, Tempe and the surrounding area are more appealing than Tucson. You admit it that Tucson is a dump so that makes my point. Just because only one of the top ten programs is located in a major city does not mean it is not in a large market. The team's success makes them a large market for college football. The programs themselves have allowed the market to grow around them. Aside from that you are only using 10 teams as your base. That is not a large enough of a sample size to draw judgement on. There are plenty of Pac-12 schools alone located in or around major cities and large markets. 
BearDown247 wrote:
TennesseeDevil wrote: The problem with AU is that once you get off campus you are still in Tucson. 
zonacat00 wrote:
ASU06grad wrote: Griffey's son wants to go to Tucson?  eek1
The Arizona campus is gorgeous. ASU has a nice campus as well. Maybe he wanted to play for RR. 

USC is in an absolutely horrible part of LA but they still get whatever recruits they want pretty much.
And your in Tempe the whole time, and Tempe isnt the safest place nowadays. Besides you guys liking ASU your missing the whole point. Tucson is a College town, Period. U of A is the show there and most kids that go to college want to go to school in a smaller town versus living in a sprawling metropolis, thus the reason the Phoenix Valley has the highest concentration of Arizona fans.I moved to phoenix in 91 before moving out of arizona. 30 years ago(if any of you where alive) Tempe was smaller than Tucson and had a lot less to offer. There was no Pro sports back then in the Valley so ASU was it. Now Phoenix is no longer ASU's town. The Cardinals outdraw the sundevils because why would a fixed income family waste money to good see mediocre to OK college football, when they can go see mediocre NFL team that occasionally gets hot. U of P is a nice stadium with new amenities. and is just overall friendly. The Diamondbacks season also runs during ASU football season also the same thing, if they are in the middle of a pennant race, the D backs own the phoenix sports market at that point, if the D backs are playing in the NLCS on the same night the Sun Devils are playing Cal thats a no brainer who wins that battle. The only thing that turns the Valley Maroon and Gold is a BCS national championship or compete for one year in and year out. There are too many choices in the valley and sadly the the sundevils cannot compete with the NFL or MLB phoenix product

The valley 30-50 years ago belonged to ASU, now unless your diehard noone really even pays attention to you. Your attendance was up this year but in the scope of major college football it was really a dud. U of A is the only team that calls tucson home and runs the market and the attention is squarely on them. yes U of A attendance was down but over the past few years, U of A outdrew ASU despite Arizona stadium being 20,000 seats smaller.

I know i know tucson is a dump. Tucson isnt for everyone just like tempe isnt for everyone. Most people that go to school dont wanna go in a big city. I can back this theory up. Out of the top ten College football programs only ONE resides in a major city and market.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 1/27/2012 12:36 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 



zonacat00 wrote:
WestCoastDevil wrote:
CatMG wrote:
WestCoastDevil wrote:
ASU06grad wrote: Griffey's son wants to go to Tucson?  eek1
Nobody else wanted him.

Considering asu offered him (according to scout), I would assume they wanted him.
According to R*vals and others on this site, he never was. I tend to believe the majority in this case since Griffey is such a low ranked player. Plus we have commits from several MUCH higher ranked WRs in this class.
roll.gif

Really? Like who? Griffey was offered by ASU. Get over it. He went in another direction. 

I've been to USC, UCLA, ASU, Colorado, Texas, Washington and Nebraska. I think Arizona has the nicest campus of out all those schools however UCLA and Texas are really nice. Colorado is probably the worst. Hated it. Arizona has a NICE campus. The area directly surrounding the U is old and run down though. Plenty of other parts of the city are great. Foothills? Oro Valley? East side? Tucson Mountains? Those areas are awesome. Is it Scottsdale? No. But I'd rather live in the Tucson foothills than in Scottsdale. To each his own.
You hated Colorado?  Really?  Why?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/20/2012 6:45 PM

Re: Really? AU? Come on Trey.. 



+1
---------------------------------------------
--- KCaldwell50 wrote:


TennesseeDevil wrote: The problem with AU is that once you get off campus you are still in Tucson.
zonacat00 wrote:
ASU06grad wrote: Griffey's son wants to go to Tucson?  eek1
The Arizona campus is gorgeous. ASU has a nice campus as well. Maybe he wanted to play for RR. 

USC is in an absolutely horrible part of LA but they still get whatever recruits they want pretty much.
rolling.gif OH so true.

---------------------------------------------
Leave a Legacy, Start a Dynasty
- Greg Powers, ASU Hockey coach
2014 D1 National Champions

Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 2