Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >

1st game impressions

  • DevilTG
  • Benchwarmer
  • 817 posts this site

Posted: 08/28/2014 11:12 PM

1st game impressions 


Just got home from the office park formerly known as sun devil stadium.

My first takeaway is that we are going to have major issues on d. Hood did not look to be in game shape and was a non factor. Hardison and cherry look the part that they should be good but like last year w hardison he played most of the game and I hardly noticed him. Devilbacker didn't seem to matter who played, nobody really did much. Overall I think d line really did not play well. Little to no pass rush. Hopefully Patterson has some tricks in his bag or we are in serious trouble versus normal teams.

I know we won by 31 but weber was stopped st goal line and had a near touchdown taken away. That game was nowhere near the beat down I expected.

Thought Calhoun made some nice plays but man our linebackers are undersized. Number 28 did not seem to make much impact. Thought ball looked good in second half.

We have a lot to figure out and I have faith in tg

One last thing. The office buildings in lot 59 are a very hard pill to swallow.

Last edited 08/28/2014 11:25 PM by DevilTG

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/28/2014 11:26 PM

Re: 1st game impressions 



DevilTG wrote: Just got home from the office park formerly known as sun devil stadium.

My first takeaway is that we are going to have major issues on d. Hood did not look to be in game shape and was a non factor. Hardison and cherry look the part that they should be good but like last year w hardison he played most of the game and I hardly noticed him. Devilbacker didn't seem to matter who played, nobody really did much. Overall I think d line really did not play well. Little to no pass rush. Hopefully Patterson has some tricks in his bag or we are in serious trouble versus normal teams.

I know we won by 31 but weber was stopped st goal line and had a near touchdown taken away. That game was nowhere near the beat down I expected.

Thought Calhoun made some nice plays but man our linebackers are undersized. Number 28 did not seem to make much impact. Thought ball looked good in second half.

We have a lot to figure out and I have faith in tg

One last thing. The office buildings in lot are a very hard pill to swallow
Were we watching the same game?  Hood was very good early but probably isn't in game shape yet.  Hardison was terrible, kept trying to beat his man on the edge and gave up a big run inside.  I thought both Nelson & Boateng had some nice penetration from Devil before it got a little vanilla. Again, before the vanilla D Calhoun and Fiso were flying all over the place.  I didn't think much of Ball's game, maybe rust or just trying to protect himself from injury.  I thought Johnson had a better game at safety. 

I lost count/track but I think by the end of the 3rd we'd played 13-14 freshmen, 6-7 of those being of the true variety....it's not always going to be pretty if that's going to be the case.
Ball So Hard University
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/28/2014 11:37 PM

Re: 1st game impressions 


I also disagree strongly with the OP, but we have a lot of improving to do!
Reply | Quote
  • DevilTG
  • Benchwarmer
  • 817 posts this site

Posted: 08/28/2014 11:40 PM

Re: 1st game impressions 


I must have missed hood doing well early.I Hope you are right on us being vanilla and know we are young. I do agree on fiso he looked solid.

That said I left feeling like we our d is going to get manhandled by teams like Stanford and others.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/28/2014 11:47 PM

Re: 1st game impressions 


This is nothing new. Graham's teams always gets better as the season progresses. That's why I was doing cartwheels when I saw UCLA playing ASU to open our conference schedule. You guys are a lot easier to beat in September than you are in November. I wouldn't be so confident about beating you guys had our game been scheduled for later in the season after you've gained more valuable game time experience. Last year is a perfect example. Had we played you in September, we would've beat you. But the game was played later in the season and by that time you were clicking on all cylinders. For all I care, you guys can beat up on everyone else after our Sept 25th date.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Winning is not everything ... It is the ONLY thing!

Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/28/2014 11:51 PM

Re: 1st game impressions 



WickedASU wrote:
DevilTG wrote: Just got home from the office park formerly known as sun devil stadium.

My first takeaway is that we are going to have major issues on d. Hood did not look to be in game shape and was a non factor. Hardison and cherry look the part that they should be good but like last year w hardison he played most of the game and I hardly noticed him. Devilbacker didn't seem to matter who played, nobody really did much. Overall I think d line really did not play well. Little to no pass rush. Hopefully Patterson has some tricks in his bag or we are in serious trouble versus normal teams.

I know we won by 31 but weber was stopped st goal line and had a near touchdown taken away. That game was nowhere near the beat down I expected.

Thought Calhoun made some nice plays but man our linebackers are undersized. Number 28 did not seem to make much impact. Thought ball looked good in second half.

We have a lot to figure out and I have faith in tg

One last thing. The office buildings in lot are a very hard pill to swallow
Were we watching the same game?  Hood was very good early but probably isn't in game shape yet.  Hardison was terrible, kept trying to beat his man on the edge and gave up a big run inside.  I thought both Nelson & Boateng had some nice penetration from Devil before it got a little vanilla. Again, before the vanilla D Calhoun and Fiso were flying all over the place.  I didn't think much of Ball's game, maybe rust or just trying to protect himself from injury.  I thought Johnson had a better game at safety. 

I lost count/track but I think by the end of the 3rd we'd played 13-14 freshmen, 6-7 of those being of the true variety....it's not always going to be pretty if that's going to be the case.
This post is spot on.  First quarter D was all over the place.  A few blown assignments and missed tackles led to some big plays, but considering the amount of freshmen playing, not too bad.

Lots of work to do.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/28/2014 11:55 PM

Re: 1st game impressions 


What game were you watching? DJ Calhoun played lights out. Smallwood held his own and Fiso was flying to the ball and hitting hard. Nelson is just on another level. These guys are going to gel and be more than serviceable.

DevilTG wrote: Just got home from the office park formerly known as sun devil stadium.

My first takeaway is that we are going to have major issues on d. Hood did not look to be in game shape and was a non factor. Hardison and cherry look the part that they should be good but like last year w hardison he played most of the game and I hardly noticed him. Devilbacker didn't seem to matter who played, nobody really did much. Overall I think d line really did not play well. Little to no pass rush. Hopefully Patterson has some tricks in his bag or we are in serious trouble versus normal teams.

I know we won by 31 but weber was stopped st goal line and had a near touchdown taken away. That game was nowhere near the beat down I expected.

Thought Calhoun made some nice plays but man our linebackers are undersized. Number 28 did not seem to make much impact. Thought ball looked good in second half.

We have a lot to figure out and I have faith in tg

One last thing. The office buildings in lot 59 are a very hard pill to swallow.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/29/2014 12:09 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 



DevilTG wrote: I must have missed hood doing well early.I Hope you are right on us being vanilla and know we are young. I do agree on fiso he looked solid.

That said I left feeling like we our d is going to get manhandled by teams like Stanford and others.
Fortunately we've got 2 more games to figure out who on D needs to be on the field v. UCLA and even longer to Stanford, but sadly I agree with your point regarding the Trees.  Time will tell but I think Hardison and Cherry are whiffs; why else did we pursue the risks of Stuckey and Caldwell otherwise?

I came away more concerned with the offense and special teams, however.  When you take Kelly out, why not remove Foster & Strong as well?  Those two look ready for the League though, kiss them goodbye.....but back to my point, they're just as important to the offense if not more than TK.  Plus the guys behind them need reps.  Just concerning so much offense had to come from those guys to build a lead v. Web St.  And don't get me started but special teams was awful other than pinning punts inside the five.   

While at the game listening to Healy, the radio mentioned over 50% of the scholarship players were underclassmen so maybe staff can do what they seem to love to do best.....teach.
Ball So Hard University
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/29/2014 6:10 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 


Congrats to your team first off. Question for an opposing fan who couldn't watch the game. 

I checked the half time stats and saw a few highlights and know that Strong, Foster, and Kelly all had very good games. Is it a worry that there wasn't more distribution early in the game? 

Of Taylor's 18 completions 14 of them were to Strong and Foster. Cause to me, the three guys mentioned are all know commodities. Strong a top 10 WR in the nation, Foster a good RB ect. and I would have liked to see others get involved a lot more than just the two guys that have zero question marks on them coming into 2014.
"If you were there no explanation is necessary. If you weren't no explanation is satisfactory. "
~Lou Holtz
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/29/2014 6:21 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 


I thought our defense looked very fast...We had guys flying all over the place early.  Then Graham pulled the plug and put in a lot of youth to get game experience...when that happened, we had some blown assignments and Web St. was able to move the ball...honestly, we could have blown these guys away by more but why bother, we dominated and Graham went vanilla, brought in a ton of youth and back ups to get game reps...  I'm not saying our d is lights out and they do have a lot to learn (is anyone shocked with this?) but I took a lot of positives away from this game
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/29/2014 6:23 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 


I think the whole thing can be summed up as this: the whole team, Graham included, knew the game was in the bag. Graham's plan was a very vanilla game plan with a lot of touches for DJ and Strong in the first half then sit them, and the rest of the team wasn't as jacked up as they would be for a "regular" game.

GO DEVILS !!!

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/29/2014 6:48 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 


Offense seemed sluggish as early as the 2nd quarter. Defense played physical but their inexperience led to missed tackles and assignments.

I really hope another receiver steps up after Strong this season. I kind of wish Rick Smith stuck around as he was improving last year but oh well....

Zero turnovers is alarming. I feel like last years secondary would have had at least 3 picks last night. That's what happens when you don't have guys up front forcing the QB to make questionable decisions.

A lot of work to do. Hope next week doesn't bring any unpleasant surprises.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/29/2014 7:04 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 


We were a goal line stand away from giving up 21 points to Weber State. Last year we averaged 26.6. This D is nowhere near ready to stop the majority of teams in the PAC. We have a 4 game stretch coming up in about a month that could turn out to be brutal. I do hope the optimists prove e wrong on this.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/29/2014 7:26 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 


I had to keep looking at the program of course because we played so many young newcomers but there was a lot of upside. Calhoun had a very good game, Logino, Fiso, Randall and Latu all played well. The key takeaway for me was the lack of mistakes, which was nice to see. Pressure on the QB was good and even when he got it off, he was often paid with a hit directly thereafter. 
Offensively the line played well, Strong is strong!, Foster looked great, with Jefferson, Chambers and Ballage all looking good. Disappointed with the lack of use of the TE, Nelson should really be more of a threat going forward. We don't seem to attack the middle of the field much once again. 
Were it not for the mistake that lead to the second TD, a fairly predictable and well played game. The youngsters hae a lot of talent and hopefully they continue to improve and shine leading up to Colorado.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/29/2014 7:42 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 



UAHATER wrote: I had to keep looking at the program of course because we played so many young newcomers but there was a lot of upside. Calhoun had a very good game, Logino, Fiso, Randall and Latu all played well. The key takeaway for me was the lack of mistakes, which was nice to see. Pressure on the QB was good and even when he got it off, he was often paid with a hit directly thereafter. 
Offensively the line played well, Strong is strong!, Foster looked great, with Jefferson, Chambers and Ballage all looking good. Disappointed with the lack of use of the TE, Nelson should really be more of a threat going forward. We don't seem to attack the middle of the field much once again. 
Were it not for the mistake that lead to the second TD, a fairly predictable and well played game. The youngsters hae a lot of talent and hopefully they continue to improve and shine leading up to Colorado.
This!

Everything seems to be towards the sideline. There was one play when TK forced it deep to Strong, who made a great catch, but Nelson was running down the seam wide open.

I did like the fact that TK went under center a few times. Don't remember that happening much last year except when Eubank came in. With that said TK didn't seem to be on his A game and the offense was a bit sluggish at times, but I truly think the offense will be fine. I was disappointed that Lewis didn't get any touches? I did leave with about 8 mins left so maybe he got in, but that was kind of odd.

Good experience for the young guys, but there is lots to work on. Going on the road against NM and CO  will be a good test for a young D.

Now we have to wait a month for our next home game and that is on a Thursday as well. Have to wait until October for our first Saturday home game. banghead
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/29/2014 7:48 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 



Sounds like a lot of concern for a team ranked in the top 25.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 08/29/2014 7:49 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 


Weber State went 2-10 in the FCS last year and is one of the worst teams in the FCS. Thought you'd at least hang 70. Did TG call of the horses early?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/29/2014 8:00 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 



Catinfl wrote: Weber State went 2-10 in the FCS last year and is one of the worst teams in the FCS. Thought you'd at least hang 70. Did TG call of the horses early?

Being that you watched the game you'd have known the 2nd/3rd string played 1/3 of the game that's cute...looking forward to tonight and seeing this new and improved Rats D and a 4 QB rotation.
"It's rained for a week in Tempe, I guess the Roses need watering" - Coach Randolph
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/29/2014 8:00 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 


Sloppy first quarter. Looked like the team was doing a walk through. Looked a lot like the team that played Texas Tech. Reminded me of several years back when we would struggle to put NAU away early...except those NAU teams were light years better than this Weber State team. Where is the fire? Remember when we thrashed Portland state and helmets were popping off? Where was the explosiveness? We actually had to punt against these guys? Our high octane "top of the Pac 12 offense" had to punt against Weber state? Utah and Utah state dropped 70 points on them last year. I just felt like there was a lot missing from this game. The good thing? We won.

Last edited 08/29/2014 8:01 AM by SunDevilShane

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 08/29/2014 8:01 AM

Re: 1st game impressions 



Catinfl wrote: Weber State went 2-10 in the FCS last year and is one of the worst teams in the FCS. Thought you'd at least hang 70. Did TG call of the horses early?
Yes, but Weber State is much improved due to their new coaching staff.  They have some playmakers on offense and we are really green on defense. 

Lots of work to do for the Devils.  First and foremost is ball distribution on offense.  We don't use the whole field, nor do we use all of our weapons.  We need to speed up the pace on the offensive side of the ball, too.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 3  Next >