Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
Inbox
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 36  Next >

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers

Avatar

Posted: 3/5/2008 6:30 AM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


Rule 3.1.2 A player may be removed as pitcher and return as pitcher only once per inning, provided the return pitcher does not violate either the pitching, substitution or charged conference rule.

None of these were violated by your description.
"See what you call and call what you see"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/7/2008 11:04 AM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


here's one for you. team a is in the field and team b is hitting. team b has a runner on third. the pitcher goes to pick the runner off when the third base coach for team b yells balk. team b's runner scores from third during all of this. what should the call be?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/7/2008 11:06 AM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


do pitchers still have to come below there chin with their glove while pitching from the stretch? haven't seen this one called all year if they do?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/7/2008 12:49 PM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


the rule says "At or below your chin"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/7/2008 12:51 PM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


i would put the runner back on third and warn the coach.  Dont really know about a rule for that one but it would only make sense!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/10/2008 9:26 AM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


Good ole boy wrote:
here's one for you. team a is in the field and team b is hitting. team b has a runner on third. the pitcher goes to pick the runner off when the third base coach for team b yells balk. team b's runner scores from third during all of this. what should the call be?


This does not tell me how the runner scored. Did the team make a play and throw the ball away. I need more info.
"See what you call and call what you see"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/12/2008 9:03 AM

Re: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


I have two questions about Balks or No Balks.

1) Runner on Second. Pitcher comes set, then makes a spin move to Second. Runner breaks to third. Pitcher throws directly to third. Can the pitcher throw to that previously unoccupied base?

2) Similar to first question. Runners on first and third. Pitcher does the famous fake to third, then first move. Runner on first breaks. Pitcher throws directly to second which was unoccupied. Legal?

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2008 9:13 AM

Re: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


Sure, once a pitcher makes the spin move to second, since the rules don't require him to make the throw, he can throw directly to third after the spin move.

One the second question, it's the same thing- once the pitcher fakes to third he doesn't have to throw anywhere and since the runner is breaking to second, he can throw directly to second-     In both cases it was a previously unoccupied base.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/12/2008 12:42 PM

Re: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 



batdaddy wrote:

I have two questions about Balks or No Balks.

1) Runner on Second. Pitcher comes set, then makes a spin move to Second. Runner breaks to third. Pitcher throws directly to third. Can the pitcher throw to that previously unoccupied base?

2) Similar to first question. Runners on first and third. Pitcher does the famous fake to third, then first move. Runner on first breaks. Pitcher throws directly to second which was unoccupied. Legal?


Arrows22 is correct.  The key thing to remember is the pitcher must have disengaged his pivot foot.  Once he does that, he's just another infielder.
"See what you call and call what you see"
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/13/2008 8:54 AM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


Has anyone ever seen a right handed pitcher set up in the stretch as a lefthanded pitcher, come set, and step off quickly with the pivot foot and snap throw to second to pick off a runner on second base?

Would this be legal and if not, what does the rule state that would make it to not be legal?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/16/2008 8:10 AM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


That is a balk because he has to put his pivot foot on the rubber. A right handers pivot foot is his right foot and I can only assume you mean he was putting his left foot on the rubber. If I'm incorrect in my assumption please give me more details.
"See what you call and call what you see"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/20/2008 10:46 AM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


Gulfcoaster, I'm not sure I fully understand the pitcher situation at the top of the page about pitchers entering and returning same inning (same game)???
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/20/2008 12:10 PM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


What's you question?
"See what you call and call what you see"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/21/2008 12:06 AM

Re: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


This question concerns the advancing of a runner (or runners) when a ball is thrown into the dugout or onto the concrete surface in front of the dugout wall/rail. This happened during one game where the umpires only allowed the runner(s) to advance to the base they were advancing to. During another game, the umpires (different umpires) allowed them the base that they were advancing to plus the next base. What's the correct call?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/24/2008 7:06 AM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


It depends on the throw. Was it the first throw from the infielder? Was it a relay or second throw? Was it a pitch that ricochet from the catcher?
"See what you call and call what you see"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/24/2008 6:16 PM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


In both instances, it was the first throw from an infielder to first base.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/25/2008 8:45 AM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


2 bases! The batter-runner gets second.
"See what you call and call what you see"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2008 12:52 PM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


2 bases time of the pitch because it was the first throw from an infielder.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 3/25/2008 1:28 PM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 


Batter is in the box waiting on the pitch. Pitcher takes a really long time in the set position studying the runner at second. Batter calls time. Ump takes one step straight back, says time. Batter steps out, pitcher delivers pitch, ump rings him up. When approached by the coach about the "time out" the ump replies," I didn't say time, I said no Time." Coach replies, "if you weren't granting him time, why did you say anything?" Anybody ever experienced anything like that?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 3/26/2008 7:11 PM

RE: Rules and Interpretations: Question and answers 



batdaddy wrote: Batter is in the box waiting on the pitch. Pitcher takes a really long time in the set position studying the runner at second. Batter calls time. Ump takes one step straight back, says time. Batter steps out, pitcher delivers pitch, ump rings him up. When approached by the coach about the "time out" the ump replies," I didn't say time, I said no Time." Coach replies, "if you weren't granting him time, why did you say anything?" Anybody ever experienced anything like that?
Can't say that I have.
"See what you call and call what you see"
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
< Prev.  Page of 36  Next >