Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

A slap in the face we deserve

Posted: 11/24/2012 2:42 PM

A slap in the face we deserve 


Our band cues up We've Got the Funk, and Troy's band follows suit, playing it exactly one stanza behind The Band of Blue. They even know what songs our band is about to play.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/24/2012 8:37 PM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve Post Rating (3 votes)


I have stated on here before, and got chastised for it, that our band is stale and needs new material. I still think that is the case. Apparently you have to buy new songs. Apparently you have to learn new parts. Well, spend some cash. Allocate some time. The songs are tired and overplayed.
Go Blue Raiders!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/24/2012 8:48 PM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve 



middlefan2001 wrote: I have stated on here before, and got chastised for it, that our band is stale and needs new material. I still think that is the case. Apparently you have to buy new songs. Apparently you have to learn new parts. Well, spend some cash. Allocate some time. The songs are tired and overplayed.
I agree. I'll take the criticism ... I don't care. The band has been playing the same stuff since I was in school and it's old.


Reply | Quote
  • blueraiderjt
  • Starting line-up
  • Rating: 3.7/5 this site
  • 2422 posts this site

Posted: 11/24/2012 8:51 PM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve Post Rating (1 vote)


The band? Really? We won this friggin game and sent Troy packing. I don't care if we played a funeral derge. We won the friggin game. That's all that matters.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/24/2012 8:54 PM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve 



blueraiderjt wrote: The band? Really? We won this friggin game and sent Troy packing. I don't care if we played a funeral derge. We won the friggin game. That's all that matters.
I'll also agree with that one, too. biggrin


Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/24/2012 9:07 PM

Re: A slap in the face we deserve Post Rating (1 vote)


1. That's smart, let's chastise the one student organization that supports athletics consistently.
2. It's expensive and time consuming to write or buy new material. If someone would like to do so, go ahead.
3. Troy, as well as 2 other bands in our conference, actually took the material that they play directly from the band of blue. The band of blue is held so highly that they felt they could do so.
4. The band is transitioning into new songs. Every year they add one, usually 2 songs.

In conclusion...
Be happy with the win, if you want change do something about it, and support what you have.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/24/2012 9:07 PM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve 


We won the game, and it was a blast. But we HAVE TO START SELLING FAN EXPERIENCE, the band is predictable, boring and starting to sound worse each year. I know there are some big BOB people on here and I'm sorry to offend, but the band is sucking more and more each game. 

Troy's band played new stuff, old stuff and OUR stuff. I was waiting for them to play our fight song. The athletic dept. pays the band to be there, time to earn your money (I don't care if it's only $20 or whatever) learn some new stuff.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/24/2012 9:11 PM

THIS 



This right here. This guy gets it.


Reply | Quote
  • blueraiderjt
  • Starting line-up
  • Rating: 3.7/5 this site
  • 2422 posts this site

Posted: 11/24/2012 9:28 PM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve 


Troy played freakin John Phillip Sousa for their halftime show. They were awful and I felt like I was about to be checked into an old folks home listening to that stuff.

At least we didn't play the greatest hits of 1912.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/24/2012 9:30 PM

Re: A slap in the face we deserve 


I do have to agree that they should add new songs. But they are adding a few. "All I Do is Win," "Gangnam (sp?) Style," and a few others have been added as of late. The song the band calls "Hip Hop," Troy took from us back when we did a mass band halftime performance with them years ago. 

If you notice, though, Troy's band started recycling a lot of their material too. The played "Margarettaville." Cool song, but not really what I would consider a pep band toon. 

I did want to say as well, we should be happy with Mr. Cornish. I was there when the three candidates came to interview. He was the only person that remotely acted and resembled Terry Jolley. One, wanted to turn the band into a glorified high school band that would have been so strict, the band would have went to nothing. The other guy, well he was the marching band director at Western at the time. Needless to say, he was not what MTSU was looking for or needed. Mr. Cornish was the marching band director at NEBRASKA. He went to the National Championship game with that band the fall before he interviewed at MTSU. 

As far as the BoB "sucking" more and more. Really? Really? The BoB is held in high regard by just about every other Sun Belt school. And most out of conference schools wish they had the BoB. Also, if the director was so bad, why would the program keep growing? During the senior presentation, he shared a special moment with everyone he hugged. He, as far as I know, loves it here and he loves the Band of Blue.

I just think we are so use to the band that we think it has become stale, when in reality, we just don't know how good we have it...until we could possibly lose it.

If you want to hear new songs, most of the time, if they PA will allow time for the Pep Band to play, they arrange and try things out during basketball games. It allows a smaller group and easier to try things and see how it works. A lot of songs started that way and were transitioned into songs for the football games.

All that said, I love the Band of Blue, but can we please get back to us all being happy with the fact that we finally got the Troy monkey off our back? No matter what, we can ALL be happy about that!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/24/2012 9:33 PM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve Post Rating (1 vote)


The game was over 3-4 minutes before they played the fight song. They are completely clueless at times.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/24/2012 9:37 PM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve Post Rating (1 vote)



RockyattheTop wrote: The game was over 3-4 minutes before they played the fight song. They are completely clueless at times.
I agree sometimes. I cringe when we are 3rd and long and they start cheering. I get they are trying to help, but that is when the crowd needs to quiet down. I think, sometimes, the entire stadium needs Peyton Manning to come in and teach the crowd when to get loud and when to be quiet like he did while with the Colts. That was a football smart crowd. 

As for them waiting so long to play the fight song...that completely ruined the win for me... ohlord
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/24/2012 11:17 PM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve Post Rating (1 vote)



MTBOBDude wrote:

As for them waiting so long to play the fight song...that completely ruined the win for me... ohlord
Really?

Middle Tennessee Blue Raiders
Atlanta Braves
Atlanta Falcons
Atlanta Hawks
Georgia Bulldogs
USA Soccer

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/25/2012 8:23 AM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve 




---------------------------------------------
--- MTBOBDude wrote:


RockyattheTop wrote: The game was over 3-4 minutes before they played the fight song. They are completely clueless at times.
I agree sometimes. I cringe when we are 3rd and long and they start cheering. I get they are trying to help, but that is when the crowd needs to quiet down. I think, sometimes, the entire stadium needs Peyton Manning to come in and teach the crowd when to get loud and when to be quiet like he did while with the Colts. That was a football smart crowd. 

As for them waiting so long to play the fight song...that completely ruined the win for me... ohlord

---------------------------------------------
This. One of the guys in our box just lost it near the end because they were doing it all game long. We run no huddle and call the plays at the line and our band is going nuts on 3rd and long from our end zone. I get that a lot of members are into the music not sports but it is getting ridiculous. I can overlook us playing ESPN on half the opponents good plays(even though it looks ridiculous)but for the love of God stop playing and chanting lets go blue when our offense is backed up next to them. Maybe the AD should put a GA over there to tell them when it is appropriate to play. Here is hint. When it's third down and we need a first to ice the game, stop playing when we walk to the line of scrimmage.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/25/2012 8:43 AM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve 



---------------------------------------------
--- MTSUPiKapp wrote:


MTBOBDude wrote:

As for them waiting so long to play the fight song...that completely ruined the win for me... ohlord
Really?

---------------------------------------------

That was suppose to be sarcasm. I could care less how long they wait of if they do it as soon as its all zeros. We FINALLY beat Troy! That's all I was concerned about at the end of the game! I was too busy watching our team go nuts to even think about if thy had played he fight song or not.

*Edit* Also, just found out that the AD ASKED the band to wait to play the fight song in order to get an announcement in after the game. Maybe they are the ones that are clueless and need to know the band MUST play at the end of the game...again, sarcasm. Band was just doing what they were told.

Last edited 11/25/2012 9:01 AM by MTBOBDude

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/25/2012 9:36 AM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve 


I didn't even realize that they hadn't play the fight song for over four minutes. I was just extremely happy!!!

[Insert something here]

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/25/2012 11:32 AM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve 



The AD thing sound like an excuse. If you want your program to be a big boy, you've gott to act like a big boy.

The fight song should have cued up as soon as Kilgore downed the last snap.... 10 seconds left on the clock.
---------------------------------------------
--- MTBOBDude wrote:


---------------------------------------------
--- MTSUPiKapp wrote:


MTBOBDude wrote:

As for them waiting so long to play the fight song...that completely ruined the win for me... ohlord
Really?

---------------------------------------------

That was suppose to be sarcasm. I could care less how long they wait of if they do it as soon as its all zeros. We FINALLY beat Troy! That's all I was concerned about at the end of the game! I was too busy watching our team go nuts to even think about if thy had played he fight song or not.

*Edit* Also, just found out that the AD ASKED the band to wait to play the fight song in order to get an announcement in after the game. Maybe they are the ones that are clueless and need to know the band MUST play at the end of the game...again, sarcasm. Band was just doing what they were told.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/25/2012 11:36 AM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve 


I can't tell if people are being sarcastic or actually genuine in this thread.

Last edited 11/25/2012 2:04 PM by Creativeforumname

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/25/2012 2:01 PM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve 


The AD thing is straight from Mr. Cornish. He has no agenda or reason to make excuses. You believe what you want, but as my father-in-law says, "Truth will stand when the world's on fire."

Again, while disagreeing with some on this board, I know we all just want all facets of MT to get better. One day, the AD may listen to someone who has run a band at a "big" school, Nebraska, and let them run like a big school band. And hopefully, the band will update their songs as well. I just want MT to always be improving and not going backwards.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/25/2012 2:36 PM

RE: A slap in the face we deserve 


No reason... really? Try saving face.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >