Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

Diamond DeShields

Posted: 8/15/2011 8:16 AM

Diamond DeShields 


Long time reader, first time poster on the Boneyard. I had the opportunity to speak with a high school coach in Atlanta who told me Diamond DeShields is a clear UCONN lean right now. Some other tidbits he mentioned were that she likely will not decide during this high school season, she wants to stay open and not cut her list because she wants to help her teammates out by getting them more college looks. If she stays open to everyone more schools will come to her games in hopes of recruiting her which indirectly helps her teammates. That tells you a lot about her that she is looking out for her teammates like that.

She has not formally cut her list but at one point the main players were UCONN, Tenn, Duke, Maryland, and maybe one wildcard with the new coaching changes, possibly LSU but this high school coach was certain on the last school. I was told Tenn is not strong in her recruitment and they took a verbal from her old AAU teammate. Maryland is the same way with the old ICE teammate but Brenda Frese is recruiting Diamond harder than Pat Summitt so they might stay on her list longer but in the end it may not matter. From the talk I had it really sounded like UCONN was clearly in the top tier all alone. Duke and Maryland tier 2 and then Tenn was behind Duke and Maryland. It is too early to tell how other programs with new coaches are positioned like LSU but at this point the person I spoke with said its too hard to expect a new staff to have a real shot when other schools have put in work with this recruitment for years now. Was also told she may entertain visits to schools west of the Mississippi but it is highly unlikely she goes that far for college it would be more of a visit just for fun.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/15/2011 8:56 AM

Re: Diamond DeShields 


Great information.  Nice to hear what a local coach has to say about Diamonds recruitment as he hears it. Hoping for the best that she ends up at UConn. She is still 2 years from being college elidgeable (sp) but her back ground in USA basketball and her team oriented thought process sure make her sound like a UConn fit.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2011 9:40 AM

Re: Diamond DeShields 


Sounds exactly like the kind of kid I have been hearing.  Let us hope everything stays positive for UConn and the deal gets closed. She would be a tremendous pickup.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/15/2011 10:48 AM

Re: Diamond DeShields 



Good news:: There is more than enough time for one of the Coaches to get down to Staples and pick up a "Basic Tons-O-Frills UConn Coop Merchandising Agreement" template.

Great News:: From the sound of it, we have just enough time to give the old Husky Recruiting Fry-O-Lator a well needed cleaning before it's time to crank out those delicious Fries. As philosopher & former D-1 Track & Field Hammer throwing AA, Socrates once said, "Clean Fry-O-Lators make the berry berry best fries!!!"

How could anyone help but feel a warm glow all over when seeing the look on their cherubic faces when our very special guests are treated to Geno's "Home Cooked" dining spectacular:: Husky Premium Recruiting Fries & world class "verbal" conversation in a cosy but WBB star filled room. Now, that's an unbeatable, Sign-Here, combination...... Is there still any wonder why we get so many top recuits?


Ahhhhh, don't cha just love it when a plan comes together?


Your Ol' Pal Boo
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/15/2011 10:52 AM

Re: Diamond DeShields 


Thanks.  Diamond loves Bria, Kaleena, Moriah, and the rest of the UConn kids.  I also hear that she is a UConn "lean."

The fact that ASGR rated her #5 might mean that she needs to improve her basketball skills just a bit, but she is arguably the most athletic player in high school, perhaps ever.  She's been able to dunk for the last 3 years and has tremendous speed.  She stands out as Michael Jordan and Dr. J. stood out.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2011 11:20 AM

Re: Diamond DeShields 


Now if we can only get Wendy's to start putting Diana and Sue on their French Fry containers we will be all set. They should, also, consider putting Maya on their Frosty cups, she is certainly cool as Ice.


BooRadley wrote:
Good news:: There is more than enough time for one of the Coaches to get down to Staples and pick up a "Basic Tons-O-Frills UConn Coop Merchandising Agreement" template.

Great News:: From the sound of it, we have just enough time to give the old Husky Recruiting Fry-O-Lator a well needed cleaning before it's time to crank out those delicious Fries. As philosopher & former D-1 Track & Field Hammer throwing AA, Socrates once said, "Clean Fry-O-Lators make the berry berry best fries!!!"

How could anyone help but feel a warm glow all over when seeing the look on their cherubic faces when our very special guests are treated to Geno's "Home Cooked" dining spectacular:: Husky Premium Recruiting Fries & world class "verbal" conversation in a cosy but WBB star filled room. Now, that's an unbeatable, Sign-Here, combination...... Is there still any wonder why we get so many top recuits?


Ahhhhh, don't cha just love it when a plan comes together?


Your Ol' Pal Boo
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2011 11:24 AM

Re: Diamond DeShields 



icebear wrote: Now if we can only get Wendy's to start putting Diana and Sue on their French Fry containers we will be all set. They should, also, consider putting Maya on their Frosty cups, she is certainly cool as Ice.


hmmm, getting hungry, wonder where I might go for lunch? cool

He was an embittered athiest, the sort of athiest who does not so much disbelieve in God, as personally dislike him. (George Orwell?)

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2011 11:30 AM

Re: Diamond DeShields 


first post and you come at us with that??!!!  you realize there is no possible way to even come close to surpassing that post unless you break the story about when/if Diamond verbals to UCONN!

seriously thanks a lot for posting that info.  this is great news indeed as she's one of the very top kids in her class, and it sounds like an incredible person to boot.

UCONN Huskies National Champions 1995, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 (X2), 2009, 2010, 2011 and beyond... Women 7 NC's, Men 3 NC's - 10-0 collectively in NC games!

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2011 12:08 PM

Re: Diamond DeShields 



HuskyMJ wrote: Long time reader, first time poster on the Boneyard. I had the opportunity to speak with a high school coach in Atlanta who told me Diamond DeShields is a clear UCONN lean right now. Some other tidbits he mentioned were that she likely will not decide during this high school season, she wants to stay open and not cut her list because she wants to help her teammates out by getting them more college looks. If she stays open to everyone more schools will come to her games in hopes of recruiting her which indirectly helps her teammates. That tells you a lot about her that she is looking out for her teammates like that.

She has not formally cut her list but at one point the main players were UCONN, Tenn, Duke, Maryland, and maybe one wildcard with the new coaching changes, possibly LSU but this high school coach was certain on the last school. I was told Tenn is not strong in her recruitment and they took a verbal from her old AAU teammate. Maryland is the same way with the old ICE teammate but Brenda Frese is recruiting Diamond harder than Pat Summitt so they might stay on her list longer but in the end it may not matter. From the talk I had it really sounded like UCONN was clearly in the top tier all alone. Duke and Maryland tier 2 and then Tenn was behind Duke and Maryland. It is too early to tell how other programs with new coaches are positioned like LSU but at this point the person I spoke with said its too hard to expect a new staff to have a real shot when other schools have put in work with this recruitment for years now. Was also told she may entertain visits to schools west of the Mississippi but it is highly unlikely she goes that far for college it would be more of a visit just for fun.
Thanks for the post and I hope you continue posting hear on the Boneyard. Diamond is a great player with a world of potential. She can only get better under the guidance of Geno. I've always felt that UCONN was a perfect fit for Diamond. I'm liking our chances more and more of landing this gem.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/15/2011 12:17 PM

Duh ... 




MilfordHusky wrote:  ... She stands out as Michael Jordan and Dr. J. stood out.

Just who do you think our lurking Boneyarder might be? I mean, HuskyMJ, no less!

Thank you for the inside scoop, Michael! And thanks for signing Maya to that contract!                   wink
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/15/2011 12:18 PM

Re: Diamond DeShields 


Sounds like she has her head on straight and tries to help her teammates out, 1st.......Only good things will happen to this young lady if she come to UCONN or not. Next summer she will be playing on the WUG's team with this years U-19 team........Have fun and stay healthy and do not lose your spark for life.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/15/2011 12:37 PM

Re: Diamond DeShields 


Thanks for that info HuskyMJ.  However, without knowing who this HS coach in Atlanta is, exactly, I will not get too excited about this news.  He or she may not know Diamond at all and the info could be unreliable (through no fault of yours).  If the HS coach were Diamond's coach, on the other hand, THAT would be very meaningful!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/15/2011 12:44 PM

Re: Duh ... 



Wonkster wrote:

MilfordHusky wrote:  ... She stands out as Michael Jordan and Dr. J. stood out.

Just who do you think our lurking Boneyarder might be? I mean, HuskyMJ, no less!

Thank you for the inside scoop, Michael! And thanks for signing Maya to that contract!                   wink
And I thought it was Michael Jackson!  redface
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/15/2011 12:46 PM

Re: Diamond DeShields 



icebear wrote: Now if we can only get Wendy's to start putting Diana and Sue on their French Fry containers we will be all set. They should, also, consider putting Maya on their Frosty cups, she is certainly cool as Ice.


BooRadley wrote:
Good news:: There is more than enough time for one of the Coaches to get down to Staples and pick up a "Basic Tons-O-Frills UConn Coop Merchandising Agreement" template.

Great News:: From the sound of it, we have just enough time to give the old Husky Recruiting Fry-O-Lator a well needed cleaning before it's time to crank out those delicious Fries. As philosopher & former D-1 Track & Field Hammer throwing AA, Socrates once said, "Clean Fry-O-Lators make the berry berry best fries!!!"

How could anyone help but feel a warm glow all over when seeing the look on their cherubic faces when our very special guests are treated to Geno's "Home Cooked" dining spectacular:: Husky Premium Recruiting Fries & world class "verbal" conversation in a cosy but WBB star filled room. Now, that's an unbeatable, Sign-Here, combination...... Is there still any wonder why we get so many top recuits?


Ahhhhh, don't cha just love it when a plan comes together?


Your Ol' Pal Boo
Maya is cool, smooth, and sweet!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/16/2011 9:36 AM

RE: Diamond DeShields 


This makes me like Diamond that much more. She is showing that she is a quality teammate.

I really hope she goes to UCONN.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/16/2011 11:38 AM

RE: Diamond DeShields 


Quality teammate, sure.
But wasting a schools time, energy and money just to go on an official  visit " just for fun", not so much.  

That being said, I take all of this with a grain of salt, with no disrespect to the poster.  
It is all hearsay, at best, and from a source that is unnamed.  
Good for conversation making, though.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/16/2011 12:02 PM

RE: Diamond DeShields 



jennyo70 wrote: Quality teammate, sure.
But wasting a schools time, energy and money just to go on an official  visit " just for fun", not so much.  

That being said, I take all of this with a grain of salt, with no disrespect to the poster.  
It is all hearsay, at best, and from a source that is unnamed.  
Good for conversation making, though.
not sure i agree with you.  one never knows if a player might change her mind after visiting a school, seeing the campus, meeting the coaches and potential teammates, picturing herself at one school or another, etc.  in fact, i bet Geno would encourage the player to do just that - like he did with Breanna.

he'd want to be sure the kid really really wants to come to UCONN to try to avoid situations like Jackie Gemelos or Elena Delle Donne from happening again.

if a kid takes an official visit and is swayed to another school, then it's for the best as the kid probably wouldn't  be 100% happy at UCONN and might end up transferring anyway.

it's a different story if the kid has verbaled...

UCONN Huskies National Champions 1995, 1999, 2000, 2002, 2003, 2004 (X2), 2009, 2010, 2011 and beyond... Women 7 NC's, Men 3 NC's - 10-0 collectively in NC games!

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/16/2011 12:32 PM

RE: Diamond DeShields 



jennyo70 wrote: Quality teammate, sure.
But wasting a schools time, energy and money just to go on an official  visit " just for fun", not so much.  

That being said, I take all of this with a grain of salt, with no disrespect to the poster.  
It is all hearsay, at best, and from a source that is unnamed.  
Good for conversation making, though.
So you question the validity of the information in the report after first taking a shot at DeShields based on what's in the report.  Kids have been known to take official visits even though verbally committed to another school.  Some kids take official visits when they are considered a lean to another school.  And yes, some kids take official visits for fun, or with friends, etc.  I think most coaches know the situation and can always choose not to extend the invitation. Last year there was a purported in-the-know Louisville fan who posted repeatedly (ad nauseum?) that there was a zero chance that Sara Hammond would choose UConn over Louisville despite her decision to accept an invitation for an official visit.  Do you think she wasted UConn's time and money?  I'm not sure anyone here believed that.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/16/2011 12:33 PM

RE: Diamond DeShields 



jennyo70 wrote: Quality teammate, sure.
But wasting a schools time, energy and money just to go on an official  visit " just for fun", not so much.  

That being said, I take all of this with a grain of salt, with no disrespect to the poster.  
It is all hearsay, at best, and from a source that is unnamed.  
Good for conversation making, though.

You have some hopes for your Lady Cards, Jenny?

No need to be so sour.  If she agrees to an official visit, Jeff will be a lot happier than if she doesn't, whatever he may think of his chances.

                           

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/16/2011 2:07 PM

RE: Diamond DeShields 


I absolutely agree with what you are saying, Eric.  
I believe the visit is absolutely worth it, and I do believe taking said visits can and do cause recruits to affirm their choice or create doubt resulting in exploring more options.  I would never want to deny a recruit that.  I think it is invaluable. 

I take issue with the language, "just for fun".  I read that as a trip for trips sake, a fun trip, with no real openness to the experience.   A free trip!  That, I disagree with, feeling it is wasteful of time, energy and resources.   I was also careful to say this is all with a grain of salt because it did not come from the recruit.

No sour grapes here!   Not at all.  Just responding to the post as I read it and interpreted the language.
Diamond DeShields, without a doubt, sounds like an amazing young player.  My response was not in critique of her,  but more of the scenario presented.  
ericsandiego wrote:
jennyo70 wrote: Quality teammate, sure.
But wasting a schools time, energy and money just to go on an official  visit " just for fun", not so much.  

That being said, I take all of this with a grain of salt, with no disrespect to the poster.  
It is all hearsay, at best, and from a source that is unnamed.  
Good for conversation making, though.
not sure i agree with you.  one never knows if a player might change her mind after visiting a school, seeing the campus, meeting the coaches and potential teammates, picturing herself at one school or another, etc.  in fact, i bet Geno would encourage the player to do just that - like he did with Breanna.

he'd want to be sure the kid really really wants to come to UCONN to try to avoid situations like Jackie Gemelos or Elena Delle Donne from happening again.

if a kid takes an official visit and is swayed to another school, then it's for the best as the kid probably wouldn't  be 100% happy at UCONN and might end up transferring anyway.

it's a different story if the kid has verbaled...
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/16/2011 3:07 PM

Re: Diamond DeShields 



wbbfan7 wrote: Thanks for that info HuskyMJ.  However, without knowing who this HS coach in Atlanta is, exactly, I will not get too excited about this news.  He or she may not know Diamond at all and the info could be unreliable (through no fault of yours).  If the HS coach were Diamond's coach, on the other hand, THAT would be very meaningful!
You are right, I don't know how in depth the coach knows about the recruitment but he probably speaks to other coaches in the area and hears things at various games or tournaments. Everything may not be accurate but it vibes with what has been posted in the past about DeShields and UCONN.

So don't take this as 100%fact its recruiting and there are always rumors and things changing.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/16/2011 3:08 PM

Does she want to go to a powerful team 


or help to build a powerful team? If the former, I'd have to say, of those teams listed, only one team, UConn, qualifies. If she is looking to build a new power or rejuvenate a fading power, I assume she won't pick UConn.

I suspect she's probably more interested in signing with a team that is already powerful, which pretty much leaves her with UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford and, maybe, TA&M.

Last edited 8/17/2011 11:52 AM by OSouthBranch

Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/16/2011 3:17 PM

Re: Diamond DeShields 


If I were a high school recruit, I would take all five officials.  Of course, University of Hawaii would be one of them, but hey, maybe they'd be able to sway me down in Rainbow Warrior country.  cool
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/16/2011 3:58 PM

Re: Diamond DeShields 


The one thing we do know is that Diamond's coach was, also, Maya's coach in high school. I'm pretty sure she has a pretty good appreciation of UConn and what Geno cand staff can do for top knotch recruit. Afterall, I think that Maya had a "pretty good" experience at UConn.


HuskyMJ wrote:
wbbfan7 wrote: Thanks for that info HuskyMJ.  However, without knowing who this HS coach in Atlanta is, exactly, I will not get too excited about this news.  He or she may not know Diamond at all and the info could be unreliable (through no fault of yours).  If the HS coach were Diamond's coach, on the other hand, THAT would be very meaningful!
You are right, I don't know how in depth the coach knows about the recruitment but he probably speaks to other coaches in the area and hears things at various games or tournaments. Everything may not be accurate but it vibes with what has been posted in the past about DeShields and UCONN.

So don't take this as 100%fact its recruiting and there are always rumors and things changing.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/16/2011 6:19 PM

Re: Diamond DeShields 



alexrgct wrote: If I were a high school recruit, I would take all five officials.  Of course, University of Hawaii would be one of them, but hey, maybe they'd be able to sway me down in Rainbow Warrior country.  cool

And Pepperdine.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/16/2011 11:23 PM

Re: Diamond DeShields 



MilfordHusky wrote: The fact that ASGR rated her #5 might mean that she needs to improve her basketball skills just a bit, but she is arguably the most athletic player in high school, perhaps ever.  She's been able to dunk for the last 3 years and has tremendous speed.  She stands out as Michael Jordan and Dr. J. stood out.

I'm gonna split hairs and differ slightly on comparisons.  Maya is a better MJ or Dr. J comparison than Diamond because of her other worldly combo of athleticism and skills.  From what I have seen of Diamond, she may be a more pure athlete than Maya (sheeesh...to even think that possible) without the same skill sets, at the same point in her HS career.  So I'm thinking Diamond is perhaps more in the Dominique Wilkins, Len Bias stratosphere of super-freak athlete.  Either way, please come to UConn Diamond...please, please!
"That was irrational of you...not to mention unsportsmanlike." - Roy Batty

Last edited 8/16/2011 11:40 PM by Replicant

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2011 12:31 AM

Re: Does she want to go to a powerful team 



OSouthBranch wrote: or help to build a powerful team? If the former, I'd have to say, of those teams listed, only one team, UConn qualifies. If she is looking to build a new power or rejuvenate a fading power, I assume she won't pick UConn.

I suspect she's probably more interested in signing with a team that is already powerful, which pretty much leaves her with UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford and, maybe, TA&M.

you forgot Tennessee
The only people that have a reason to hate me know me. The ones that don't are misguided."
Geno Auriemma
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2011 5:53 AM

Re: Does she want to go to a powerful team 




---------------------------------------------
--- DaddyChoc wrote:


OSouthBranch wrote: or help to build a powerful team? If the former, I'd have to say, of those teams listed, only one team, UConn qualifies. If she is looking to build a new power or rejuvenate a fading power, I assume she won't pick UConn.

I suspect she's probably more interested in signing with a team that is already powerful, which pretty much leaves her with UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford and, maybe, TA&M.

you forgot Tennessee

---------------------------------------------



That is the name that shall go unspoken.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2011 6:50 AM

Re: Does she want to go to a powerful team 



icebear wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- DaddyChoc wrote:


OSouthBranch wrote: or help to build a powerful team? If the former, I'd have to say, of those teams listed, only one team, UConn qualifies. If she is looking to build a new power or rejuvenate a fading power, I assume she won't pick UConn.

I suspect she's probably more interested in signing with a team that is already powerful, which pretty much leaves her with UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford and, maybe, TA&M.

you forgot Tennessee

---------------------------------------------



That is the name that shall go unspoken.

missed the memo...
The only people that have a reason to hate me know me. The ones that don't are misguided."
Geno Auriemma
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2011 6:55 AM

Re: Does she want to go to a powerful team 



DaddyChoc wrote:
icebear wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- DaddyChoc wrote:


OSouthBranch wrote: or help to build a powerful team? If the former, I'd have to say, of those teams listed, only one team, UConn qualifies. If she is looking to build a new power or rejuvenate a fading power, I assume she won't pick UConn.

I suspect she's probably more interested in signing with a team that is already powerful, which pretty much leaves her with UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford and, maybe, TA&M.

you forgot Tennessee

---------------------------------------------



That is the name that shall go unspoken.

missed the memo...


Issued in 6/27/2007, I believe it was the summer you took hiatus.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2011 7:02 AM

Re: Does she want to go to a powerful team 



icebear wrote:
DaddyChoc wrote:
icebear wrote:

---------------------------------------------
--- DaddyChoc wrote:


OSouthBranch wrote: or help to build a powerful team? If the former, I'd have to say, of those teams listed, only one team, UConn qualifies. If she is looking to build a new power or rejuvenate a fading power, I assume she won't pick UConn.

I suspect she's probably more interested in signing with a team that is already powerful, which pretty much leaves her with UConn, Notre Dame, Stanford and, maybe, TA&M.

you forgot Tennessee

---------------------------------------------



That is the name that shall go unspoken.

missed the memo...


Issued in 6/27/2007, I believe it was the summer you took hiatus.

possible....
The only people that have a reason to hate me know me. The ones that don't are misguided."
Geno Auriemma
Reply | Quote

Posted: 8/17/2011 9:10 AM

I have been experiencing memory problems 


and they were worse, for a while, after my surgery, however, I seem to be improving of late. In my analysis I did not leave anyone out due to memory difficutlies. I stand by my previous post.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 8/17/2011 2:21 PM

Re: I have been experiencing memory problems 



OSouthBranch wrote: and they were worse, for a while, after my surgery, however, I seem to be improving of late. In my analysis I did not leave anyone out due to memory difficutlies. I stand by my previous post.

its the koolaide the nurses served you... I understand!
The only people that have a reason to hate me know me. The ones that don't are misguided."
Geno Auriemma
Reply | Quote