Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

UC/Providence

Avatar

Posted: 2/6/2013 8:04 PM

UC/Providence 


Well, typical UC opening half of sluggish offense. While we held the BE leading scorer Council to 0 pts, we are down 26-21. C'mon Cats, let's get our typical 2nd half going!


edit: Cotton? Whatev, starts with a C tongue

Last edited 2/6/2013 8:06 PM by fenderStratCAT

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/6/2013 8:12 PM

RE: UC/Providence 


Parker is a rebounding madman but 2 for 7 from the ft line.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/6/2013 8:30 PM

RE: UC/Providence 


Didn't see 1st half, just sat down.  Peeeeewwwww no O.  Put up or shut up time ...,
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/6/2013 8:30 PM

RE: UC/Providence 


Cats down by 10 with 11:30. Struggling with TOs, bad shots, missed shots. Now down 12.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/6/2013 8:30 PM

RE: UC/Providence 


down 12.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/6/2013 8:32 PM

RE: UC/Providence 


Parker's been the best player for UC in the 2nd half, went out a few minutes ago with an ankle injury.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/6/2013 8:33 PM

RE: UC/Providence 


We stand around and watch on O when one of our kids make a move.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/6/2013 8:37 PM

RE: UC/Providence 


Need movement on O.  A lot and fast, running out of time.

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/6/2013 8:46 PM

RE: UC/Providence 


Down only by 6 parker to shoot 1 and 1.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/6/2013 8:47 PM

RE: UC/Providence 


3
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/6/2013 8:50 PM

RE: UC/Providence 


Kilpatrick heating up! 13 deficit cut to 3. Let's go Cats!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/6/2013 9:07 PM

RE: UC/Providence 


pfft! wow what a non-end. Well road wins are tough in this league but what a stink TO. Cats blow a chance to tie or win down 2 by not even getting off a shot. Over and back.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/6/2013 9:20 PM

RE: UC/Providence 


how many chances did they have from 2 mins left to the end to tie or win the game.

freakin frustrating. the friars pretty much did everything possible to give UC the game in the final minutes and yet they couldn't capitalize. disappointing but not the end of the world.

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 12:15 AM

Re: UC/Providence 


Many people will argue with me on this subject, but this game is exactly why I feel as if Mick Cronin is overrated.  Cronin has helped UC back after we were down, but it shouldn't have taken as long as it did. 

Now, onto the game. First, stop focusing on defense (we're fine on defense) and work on our offense.  Unless your Georgetown (who wins with 37 points), you can't win scoring 50 points.  Next, stop shooting 3s, and drive the ball.  We shot 23% from behind the arc.  Make every kid hit 100 free throws before they go home EVERYDAY (55% is unacceptable).  My big problem is our passing.  We rank 122 in the nation with 13.7 assists per game.  That is coaching.  Cronin draws up the plays, and Cronin coaches these guys on what to do in these situations.  Their game plan is obviously to take a lot of jump shots (as many as you can fit into a game) and get a lot of rebounds.  But what happens when you're cold at shooting jumpshots?  You drive until you heat up.  Cronin hasn't gotten that message through to this team.  We have the talent to compete with the best and the inconsistancy to lose to the worst.  That will not cut it in either the conferance or NCAA torny. 

Many people might feel strongly about Cronin being a fantastic coach, but UC has the talent to be better than we are.  It's just an opinion.  I know a lot of people (some are bearcat fans, and some aren't) and I haven't met anyone that has disagreed with me.  Most of them actually feel stronger than I do on this topic.  That game was the most pathetic performance ever, and whether you agree with me about Mick Cronin, I think everyone will agree on that fact.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 12:40 AM

Re: UC/Providence 


cough....cough...clear my throat.....roller coaster....crazy
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/7/2013 11:31 AM

Re: UC/Providence 


I find myself questioning mick also.  While he is a good coach, he is not great.  I credit him for rebuilding uc from doom but can he push uc to the top level?  I dunno, doesn't look like it right now.  But I'm not ready to give up on him.  Just landed a 5 star kid.  We'll see what happens.  Sucked to come all the way back and lose last night. 

The O is atrocious to watch.  They stand around, if someone gets the idea to drive, the rest just watch.  Are we bearcats or "tar heels"  with our feet stuck in tar?   Jesus, set a real pick, screen ....roll, drive and the rest penetrate with him......how hard is it?  No one can play with his back to the hoop and that really hurts.  No passing, no one to pass to.  Yes yes yes to spending more time on Offense.  Right now it only starts with a steal, usually a block.  There is no half court O, nada.  What good is 6-10, 6-11, 7 if they don't post up?  Jump shot after jumper.  I applaud the D but damn, fix the O or we'll never bust the top 10.  Imho first thing to do is freaking move without the ball, Move!
bearcatfan18 wrote: Many people will argue with me on this subject, but this game is exactly why I feel as if Mick Cronin is overrated.  Cronin has helped UC back after we were down, but it shouldn't have taken as long as it did. 

Now, onto the game. First, stop focusing on defense (we're fine on defense) and work on our offense.  Unless your Georgetown (who wins with 37 points), you can't win scoring 50 points.  Next, stop shooting 3s, and drive the ball.  We shot 23% from behind the arc.  Make every kid hit 100 free throws before they go home EVERYDAY (55% is unacceptable).  My big problem is our passing.  We rank 122 in the nation with 13.7 assists per game.  That is coaching.  Cronin draws up the plays, and Cronin coaches these guys on what to do in these situations.  Their game plan is obviously to take a lot of jump shots (as many as you can fit into a game) and get a lot of rebounds.  But what happens when you're cold at shooting jumpshots?  You drive until you heat up.  Cronin hasn't gotten that message through to this team.  We have the talent to compete with the best and the inconsistancy to lose to the worst.  That will not cut it in either the conferance or NCAA torny. 

Many people might feel strongly about Cronin being a fantastic coach, but UC has the talent to be better than we are.  It's just an opinion.  I know a lot of people (some are bearcat fans, and some aren't) and I haven't met anyone that has disagreed with me.  Most of them actually feel stronger than I do on this topic.  That game was the most pathetic performance ever, and whether you agree with me about Mick Cronin, I think everyone will agree on that fact.

Last edited 2/7/2013 11:35 AM by cincykid

Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 12:31 PM

Re: UC/Providence 



cincykid wrote: I find myself questioning mick also.  While he is a good coach, he is not great.  I credit him for rebuilding uc from doom but can he push uc to the top level?  I dunno, doesn't look like it right now.  But I'm not ready to give up on him.  Just landed a 5 star kid.  We'll see what happens.  Sucked to come all the way back and lose last night. 

The O is atrocious to watch.  They stand around, if someone gets the idea to drive, the rest just watch.  Are we bearcats or "tar heels"  with our feet stuck in tar?   Jesus, set a real pick, screen ....roll, drive and the rest penetrate with him......how hard is it?  No one can play with his back to the hoop and that really hurts.  No passing, no one to pass to.  Yes yes yes to spending more time on Offense.  Right now it only starts with a steal, usually a block.  There is no half court O, nada.  What good is 6-10, 6-11, 7 if they don't post up?  Jump shot after jumper.  I applaud the D but damn, fix the O or we'll never bust the top 10.  Imho first thing to do is freaking move without the ball, Move!
bearcatfan18 wrote: Many people will argue with me on this subject, but this game is exactly why I feel as if Mick Cronin is overrated.  Cronin has helped UC back after we were down, but it shouldn't have taken as long as it did. 

Now, onto the game. First, stop focusing on defense (we're fine on defense) and work on our offense.  Unless your Georgetown (who wins with 37 points), you can't win scoring 50 points.  Next, stop shooting 3s, and drive the ball.  We shot 23% from behind the arc.  Make every kid hit 100 free throws before they go home EVERYDAY (55% is unacceptable).  My big problem is our passing.  We rank 122 in the nation with 13.7 assists per game.  That is coaching.  Cronin draws up the plays, and Cronin coaches these guys on what to do in these situations.  Their game plan is obviously to take a lot of jump shots (as many as you can fit into a game) and get a lot of rebounds.  But what happens when you're cold at shooting jumpshots?  You drive until you heat up.  Cronin hasn't gotten that message through to this team.  We have the talent to compete with the best and the inconsistancy to lose to the worst.  That will not cut it in either the conferance or NCAA torny. 

Many people might feel strongly about Cronin being a fantastic coach, but UC has the talent to be better than we are.  It's just an opinion.  I know a lot of people (some are bearcat fans, and some aren't) and I haven't met anyone that has disagreed with me.  Most of them actually feel stronger than I do on this topic.  That game was the most pathetic performance ever, and whether you agree with me about Mick Cronin, I think everyone will agree on that fact.

This is a near perfect response.  I give Cronin all the credit for the players he is signing.  He is an amazing recruiter.  However, if you can't get your team to play up to their potential, or above then what good is recruiting?  Just in the last 2 years, the games that we shouldn't have lost under any condition are as follows: Prestbyterian College, Marshall, St. Johns, @ South Florida, St. Johns (again), @ Providence.  You can make an argument that there are more, but these are the ones that I see NO excuse for losing.  The worst part is that only 2 of these were on the road, the rest were at home.  You need to take care of home court, and we haven't done that.  And until we drive more (stop settling), have bigger inside play, and start actually passing the ball we won't make a solid run deep into the tourny.

Looking at last years final 4 teams, most of them had the same things in common.  I don't remember much about that Louisville team, so I'm going to start with them and please correct me if I'm wrong.  Louisville's defense was fantastic, but they still had great ball movement.  They got there because you litterally couldn't score against that defense.  But other than that, Kentuck had an inside game, OSU had an inside game, and Kansas had an inside game. 

Now looking at a few 3 point teams last year.  UC lost in sweet 16, Xavier lost in sweet 16, Duke lost to a 2 seed in the first round, Michigan lost to a 13 seed in the first round.  There is clearly a pattern here, and the course that UC is on, we're fitting this pattern.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 2/7/2013 12:46 PM

Re: UC/Providence 



bearcatfan18 wrote:
cincykid wrote: I find myself questioning mick also.  While he is a good coach, he is not great.  I credit him for rebuilding uc from doom but can he push uc to the top level?  I dunno, doesn't look like it right now.  But I'm not ready to give up on him.  Just landed a 5 star kid.  We'll see what happens.  Sucked to come all the way back and lose last night. 

The O is atrocious to watch.  They stand around, if someone gets the idea to drive, the rest just watch.  Are we bearcats or "tar heels"  with our feet stuck in tar?   Jesus, set a real pick, screen ....roll, drive and the rest penetrate with him......how hard is it?  No one can play with his back to the hoop and that really hurts.  No passing, no one to pass to.  Yes yes yes to spending more time on Offense.  Right now it only starts with a steal, usually a block.  There is no half court O, nada.  What good is 6-10, 6-11, 7 if they don't post up?  Jump shot after jumper.  I applaud the D but damn, fix the O or we'll never bust the top 10.  Imho first thing to do is freaking move without the ball, Move!
bearcatfan18 wrote: Many people will argue with me on this subject, but this game is exactly why I feel as if Mick Cronin is overrated.  Cronin has helped UC back after we were down, but it shouldn't have taken as long as it did. 

Now, onto the game. First, stop focusing on defense (we're fine on defense) and work on our offense.  Unless your Georgetown (who wins with 37 points), you can't win scoring 50 points.  Next, stop shooting 3s, and drive the ball.  We shot 23% from behind the arc.  Make every kid hit 100 free throws before they go home EVERYDAY (55% is unacceptable).  My big problem is our passing.  We rank 122 in the nation with 13.7 assists per game.  That is coaching.  Cronin draws up the plays, and Cronin coaches these guys on what to do in these situations.  Their game plan is obviously to take a lot of jump shots (as many as you can fit into a game) and get a lot of rebounds.  But what happens when you're cold at shooting jumpshots?  You drive until you heat up.  Cronin hasn't gotten that message through to this team.  We have the talent to compete with the best and the inconsistancy to lose to the worst.  That will not cut it in either the conferance or NCAA torny. 

Many people might feel strongly about Cronin being a fantastic coach, but UC has the talent to be better than we are.  It's just an opinion.  I know a lot of people (some are bearcat fans, and some aren't) and I haven't met anyone that has disagreed with me.  Most of them actually feel stronger than I do on this topic.  That game was the most pathetic performance ever, and whether you agree with me about Mick Cronin, I think everyone will agree on that fact.

This is a near perfect response.  I give Cronin all the credit for the players he is signing.  He is an amazing recruiter.  However, if you can't get your team to play up to their potential, or above then what good is recruiting?  Just in the last 2 years, the games that we shouldn't have lost under any condition are as follows: Prestbyterian College, Marshall, St. Johns, @ South Florida, St. Johns (again), @ Providence.  You can make an argument that there are more, but these are the ones that I see NO excuse for losing.  The worst part is that only 2 of these were on the road, the rest were at home.  You need to take care of home court, and we haven't done that.  And until we drive more (stop settling), have bigger inside play, and start actually passing the ball we won't make a solid run deep into the tourny.

Looking at last years final 4 teams, most of them had the same things in common.  I don't remember much about that Louisville team, so I'm going to start with them and please correct me if I'm wrong.  Louisville's defense was fantastic, but they still had great ball movement.  They got there because you litterally couldn't score against that defense.  But other than that, Kentuck had an inside game, OSU had an inside game, and Kansas had an inside game. 

Now looking at a few 3 point teams last year.  UC lost in sweet 16, Xavier lost in sweet 16, Duke lost to a 2 seed in the first round, Michigan lost to a 13 seed in the first round.  There is clearly a pattern here, and the course that UC is on, we're fitting this pattern.
Soft Inside, stand around and watch.  Hand them a bag of popcorn and drinks. We play to the opposition, up or down.  Yes, that is coaching.  imo  What solid post player have we signed for next year?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 1:30 PM

Re: UC/Providence 



cincykid wrote:
bearcatfan18 wrote:
cincykid wrote: I find myself questioning mick also.  While he is a good coach, he is not great.  I credit him for rebuilding uc from doom but can he push uc to the top level?  I dunno, doesn't look like it right now.  But I'm not ready to give up on him.  Just landed a 5 star kid.  We'll see what happens.  Sucked to come all the way back and lose last night. 

The O is atrocious to watch.  They stand around, if someone gets the idea to drive, the rest just watch.  Are we bearcats or "tar heels"  with our feet stuck in tar?   Jesus, set a real pick, screen ....roll, drive and the rest penetrate with him......how hard is it?  No one can play with his back to the hoop and that really hurts.  No passing, no one to pass to.  Yes yes yes to spending more time on Offense.  Right now it only starts with a steal, usually a block.  There is no half court O, nada.  What good is 6-10, 6-11, 7 if they don't post up?  Jump shot after jumper.  I applaud the D but damn, fix the O or we'll never bust the top 10.  Imho first thing to do is freaking move without the ball, Move!
bearcatfan18 wrote: Many people will argue with me on this subject, but this game is exactly why I feel as if Mick Cronin is overrated.  Cronin has helped UC back after we were down, but it shouldn't have taken as long as it did. 

Now, onto the game. First, stop focusing on defense (we're fine on defense) and work on our offense.  Unless your Georgetown (who wins with 37 points), you can't win scoring 50 points.  Next, stop shooting 3s, and drive the ball.  We shot 23% from behind the arc.  Make every kid hit 100 free throws before they go home EVERYDAY (55% is unacceptable).  My big problem is our passing.  We rank 122 in the nation with 13.7 assists per game.  That is coaching.  Cronin draws up the plays, and Cronin coaches these guys on what to do in these situations.  Their game plan is obviously to take a lot of jump shots (as many as you can fit into a game) and get a lot of rebounds.  But what happens when you're cold at shooting jumpshots?  You drive until you heat up.  Cronin hasn't gotten that message through to this team.  We have the talent to compete with the best and the inconsistancy to lose to the worst.  That will not cut it in either the conferance or NCAA torny. 

Many people might feel strongly about Cronin being a fantastic coach, but UC has the talent to be better than we are.  It's just an opinion.  I know a lot of people (some are bearcat fans, and some aren't) and I haven't met anyone that has disagreed with me.  Most of them actually feel stronger than I do on this topic.  That game was the most pathetic performance ever, and whether you agree with me about Mick Cronin, I think everyone will agree on that fact.

This is a near perfect response.  I give Cronin all the credit for the players he is signing.  He is an amazing recruiter.  However, if you can't get your team to play up to their potential, or above then what good is recruiting?  Just in the last 2 years, the games that we shouldn't have lost under any condition are as follows: Prestbyterian College, Marshall, St. Johns, @ South Florida, St. Johns (again), @ Providence.  You can make an argument that there are more, but these are the ones that I see NO excuse for losing.  The worst part is that only 2 of these were on the road, the rest were at home.  You need to take care of home court, and we haven't done that.  And until we drive more (stop settling), have bigger inside play, and start actually passing the ball we won't make a solid run deep into the tourny.

Looking at last years final 4 teams, most of them had the same things in common.  I don't remember much about that Louisville team, so I'm going to start with them and please correct me if I'm wrong.  Louisville's defense was fantastic, but they still had great ball movement.  They got there because you litterally couldn't score against that defense.  But other than that, Kentuck had an inside game, OSU had an inside game, and Kansas had an inside game. 

Now looking at a few 3 point teams last year.  UC lost in sweet 16, Xavier lost in sweet 16, Duke lost to a 2 seed in the first round, Michigan lost to a 13 seed in the first round.  There is clearly a pattern here, and the course that UC is on, we're fitting this pattern.
Soft Inside, stand around and watch.  Hand them a bag of popcorn and drinks. We play to the opposition, up or down.  Yes, that is coaching.  imo  What solid post player have we signed for next year?

Lol.  Narsuk (sorry I have no idea how to spell it), should be that inside presence.  However, just like Yancy Gates was, Cronin didn't coach him up to be physical.  Then Jackson, with those long arms, should be able to stick in there and definitely should be throwing down the ball for more than 5 points a game.  I like your idea though.  We should just hand them popcorn and drinks. As you said they stand around and watch more than they play.  We won the Marquette game, but why do you let Marquette faceguard SK?  Move him around, he's your best player.  We only have 2 players that can score, and that's the reason that we almost blew the game with Marquette.  We were willing to play 4 on 4 instead of 5 on 5 using our best player.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 2/7/2013 1:40 PM

Re: UC/Providence 


i was stunned that mick mentioned the offense as a shortcoming after the game. a positive step? does this mean he will actually spend some time coaching the kids on how to play half court offense? i am not going to hold my breath. i foresee the continuation of the huggins philosophy. defend and rebound, pray like hell we score enough to win.

i don't think there is any shame in losing at providence. every single team in the big east is capable of winning their home conference games.

my frustration is that we play the same exact way every game. since we beat eggsavier by 15, we've had 3 games decided by more than 6 points. wright state a 10 point win, rutgers wins by 8 and by 10. 

cronin needs to develop an offense so the defense and rebounding don't get wasted. FRUSTRATINGbanghead
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >