Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

My thoughts about Rutgers

  • bduckens
  • BCI HALL OF FAME
  • Rating: 3.5/5 this site
  • 1077 posts this site

Posted: 11/14/2012 7:58 PM

My thoughts about Rutgers 


Okay I will be the first to admit that the Cats are right where I predicted them to be at the beginning of the season, right in the hunt for the Big East title! The first obstacle that stands in their way are the Rutgers Scarlet Knights. Yeah you have heard of this team folks, 8-1 overall and 4-0 in the BE, ranked 22nd in the nation and currently in first place but coming into their personal house of horrors in Nippert Stadium.

Look its not like Nippert is a haunted house of sorts for opponents but the numbers dont lie, Rutgers is 1-6-1 in the stadium. Of course all of the RU players have been downplaying it saying that this is a new team with a different makeup and that doesnt affect them going into this game but there is one thread that remains the same and that is the Cincinnati Bearcats. The problem Rutgers has is that this team is actually pretty good in this stadium.

UC is currently undefeated at home this season and the games havent really been that close. There have been many ranked teams including Rutgers that have come into Nippert Stadium riding high only to leave in disappointment and sometimes shock. The last time Rutgers played in Nippert, UC put up a 69 spot on them in an offensive explosion which really came out of nowhere. Last season, RU finally broke their losing streak to UC by finally beating the Cats 20-3 in a game that saw Munchie make his first career start after Zach Collaros was hurt against WVU. A few things are different for this years game.

First, UC knows that in order to have a shot at the BE title this is a must win, period! To me its much better to be facing a must win game at home because the crowd is behind you and the entire team is going to be pumped up for this one. Second, I dont think RU really knows if they are really that good of a team. Cincinnati has been league champs three of the last four years and now if Rutgers wants to be the champs then they have to beat the champs this week and then follow it up a few weeks later against Louisville. Lastly, Rutgers has a good defense but this will be the best offense they have faced all year which is now clicking on all cylinders with Kay at QB. Now with the passing game rolling its going to be difficult to pressure Kay because UC already leads the BE in rushing so really its going to be pick your poison.

What Rutgers wants to do is establish the run to set up the pass and I dont think that will work this year. Last year they rushed for over 200 yards and that will be the emphasis of the UC defense, force Nova to throw. Without a running game playaction wont work and UC can rush Nova freely and force him into mistakes which is what Kent State did to him. The main reason why I really like UC's chances is that Kay is more of a game manager than Munchie is. You cant win many games if you lose the turnover battle and if your QB can play mistake free ball then chances are really good that you get the win.

Lets keep this in mind also that UC still needs Louisville to lose one more time to win the title if they win out. So its funny that with the win Saturday, UC will be huge Rutgers fans when UL makes a visit to New Jersey the last game of the season. But the first thing the Cats must do is beat Rutgers on Saturday.

Here are the Keys to victory:

1.) STOP THE RUN!!!!!!!!
2.) Force Gary Nova to throw and make mistakes
3.) Win the turnover battle
4.) Score TD's not FG's offensively
5.) Dont give up big plays
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/14/2012 9:17 PM

Re: My thoughts about Rutgers 


Duckman, I agree with you but....
I am very worried about us giving up the big play. I know you understand , but most people have no idea how thin we are at almost every position. Our secondary is 4 months past high school players! We may be just too young of a team to face an experienced team like Rutgers.
Of course anything can happen, but its very possible this is the game our youth catches up to us.
Now.....Cats...PROVE ME WRONG!!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/14/2012 9:42 PM

Re: My thoughts about Rutgers 


Nice to hear respect for RU just as we at RU respect the Cats...This is going to be a close game, may the better team win...         Saturday which team will show up ??????
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/14/2012 11:16 PM

RE: My thoughts about Rutgers 


"UC is currently undefeated at home this season and the games havent really been that close."

Bob, the Syracuse game was much closer than the score indicated, and frankly, they probably should have won.

I agree with everything else. But, our wins at the Nip have consisted of a reeling Pitt team, two FCS schools and Miami-OH.

Rutgers is going to be an absolute war.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/15/2012 12:14 AM

RE: My thoughts about Rutgers 


Good summary Bob.  But I have to admit I have an uneasy feeling about this game.  We are thin and we are young.  Thats what gives me pause.

But then again, we are at home and we have the experience of winning this before...and that gives me hope.

Last edited 11/15/2012 12:15 AM by CardinalX3

Reply | Quote
  • bduckens
  • BCI HALL OF FAME
  • Rating: 3.5/5 this site
  • 1077 posts this site

Posted: 11/15/2012 6:56 AM

RE: My thoughts about Rutgers 


I know that this is going to be a really good game but I do have a good feeling about this game being at home in the Nip where Rutgers has struggled. If this was a road game I would be picking Rutgers because I wouldnt think the Cats could go into NJ and beat them at this part of the season. For those of you that havent played football, home field advantage does exist and there are many teams including UC that play very well at home and I expect to see that Saturday. Lastly, even though it has been downplayed a bit, there is a reason that RU is 1-6-1 lifetime in Cincy, keep that in mind!

Last edited 11/15/2012 6:58 AM by bduckens

Reply | Quote
  • bduckens
  • BCI HALL OF FAME
  • Rating: 3.5/5 this site
  • 1077 posts this site

Posted: 11/15/2012 7:01 AM

RE: My thoughts about Rutgers 



CardinalX3 wrote: Good summary Bob.  But I have to admit I have an uneasy feeling about this game.  We are thin and we are young.  Thats what gives me pause.

But then again, we are at home and we have the experience of winning this before...and that gives me hope.
Didnt we say the same thing two years ago when Rutgers brought an experienced team into Nippert in CBJ's first season? What happened, the Cats responded. Now Im not saying that UC will score that many points offensively but with their back against the wall I think the Cats will play much better than you think. Also there is new confidence with Kay at the helm.
Reply | Quote
  • uccats
  • BCI SCOUT TEAM
  • Rating: 3.4/5 this site
  • 192 posts this site

Posted: 11/15/2012 11:05 AM

RE: My thoughts about Rutgers 


Coach Jones said on his radio show last night that we would have everyone back in the secondary except for Trenier Orr.  He said Arryn Chenault, Drew Frey, Camerron Cheatham and Deven Drane are going to start and play although Devin has a cast on his right wrist.  He also said nickel back Chris Willams and safeties Dominique Battle and Malcom Murray were also available to play.  Freshman Leviticus Payne will also see more playing time.  Keep in mind that our secondary (when healthy), has alot of experience in seniors Frey, Cheatham, Battle, Williams and Aaron Roberson.  Drane, Cheatham and Murray are all 4th year juniors.  I remember that Frey and Battle (along with Walter Stewart) all started the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1, 2010 (I was there)!  We have our hands full with the size and experience of Rutgers receivers, but I still like our chances!

The Bearcats have won 9 in a row at historic Nippert Stadium!  Their last lost was to Pitt on a snowy, December, afternoon in 2010. 

I remember in 2006, that a inexperienced senior quarterback by the name of Nick Davilla start that Saturday night, nationally televised game against a 7th ranked and undefeated Rutgers team in Nippert Stadium.  Rutgers had Ray Rice, a stout defense and alot of confidence coming into Nippert!  I remember running on the field after the big upset win wilh my family and thousands of other fans celebrating the upset victory!  Now Brendon Kay, George "all I do is" Winn and Greg Blair and company get to try to experience "the magic" at the Nip one more time! We need our fans to fill the Nip!!  I heard there were going to be bowl scouts there from several bowls (including the Orange and Sugar) watching Rutgers and the Bearcats and taking in the experience of a Bearcat home game.  We need to "Come Early, Be Loud and Wear Black!!"  GO BEARCATS - BEAT RUTGERS!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/15/2012 11:40 AM

Re: My thoughts about Rutgers 


I assume nobody is concerned that we have a quarterback in his second carrer start against arguably the best defense in our league.

Last edited 11/15/2012 11:41 AM by bearcatvol

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/15/2012 11:42 AM

RE: My thoughts about Rutgers 



uccats wrote: Coach Jones said on his radio show last night that we would have everyone back in the secondary except for Trenier Orr.  He said Arryn Chenault, Drew Frey, Camerron Cheatham and Deven Drane are going to start and play although Devin has a cast on his right wrist.  He also said nickel back Chris Willams and safeties Dominique Battle and Malcom Murray were also available to play.  Freshman Leviticus Payne will also see more playing time.  Keep in mind that our secondary (when healthy), has alot of experience in seniors Frey, Cheatham, Battle, Williams and Aaron Roberson.  Drane, Cheatham and Murray are all 4th year juniors.  I remember that Frey and Battle (along with Walter Stewart) all started the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1, 2010 (I was there)!  We have our hands full with the size and experience of Rutgers receivers, but I still like our chances!

The Bearcats have won 9 in a row at historic Nippert Stadium!  Their last lost was to Pitt on a snowy, December, afternoon in 2010. 

I remember in 2006, that a inexperienced senior quarterback by the name of Nick Davilla start that Saturday night, nationally televised game against a 7th ranked and undefeated Rutgers team in Nippert Stadium.  Rutgers had Ray Rice, a stout defense and alot of confidence coming into Nippert!  I remember running on the field after the big upset win wilh my family and thousands of other fans celebrating the upset victory!  Now Brendon Kay, George "all I do is" Winn and Greg Blair and company get to try to experience "the magic" at the Nip one more time! We need our fans to fill the Nip!!  I heard there were going to be bowl scouts there from several bowls (including the Orange and Sugar) watching Rutgers and the Bearcats and taking in the experience of a Bearcat home game.  We need to "Come Early, Be Loud and Wear Black!!"  GO BEARCATS - BEAT RUTGERS!!

good point about that program elevating game in 2006 with davilla getting the start.

we also have a te now in kelce who could make a play like celek did on that night in 06.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/15/2012 11:42 AM

RE: My thoughts about Rutgers 


Kind of funny that game was only one day off on the calender.  That was November 18th, 2006 and obviously Saturday will be the 17th.  I was in the hospital with my second oldest, but recieved good news during that game.  That win was icing on the cake for a day that started out horribly but turned out great.  I'll never forget that one, and as returning season ticket holder I got the DVD of it the following spring to boot.

Heres to hoping for another DVD-worthy win!
uccats wrote: Coach Jones said on his radio show last night that we would have everyone back in the secondary except for Trenier Orr.  He said Arryn Chenault, Drew Frey, Camerron Cheatham and Deven Drane are going to start and play although Devin has a cast on his right wrist.  He also said nickel back Chris Willams and safeties Dominique Battle and Malcom Murray were also available to play.  Freshman Leviticus Payne will also see more playing time.  Keep in mind that our secondary (when healthy), has alot of experience in seniors Frey, Cheatham, Battle, Williams and Aaron Roberson.  Drane, Cheatham and Murray are all 4th year juniors.  I remember that Frey and Battle (along with Walter Stewart) all started the Sugar Bowl on Jan. 1, 2010 (I was there)!  We have our hands full with the size and experience of Rutgers receivers, but I still like our chances!

The Bearcats have won 9 in a row at historic Nippert Stadium!  Their last lost was to Pitt on a snowy, December, afternoon in 2010. 

I remember in 2006, that a inexperienced senior quarterback by the name of Nick Davilla start that Saturday night, nationally televised game against a 7th ranked and undefeated Rutgers team in Nippert Stadium.  Rutgers had Ray Rice, a stout defense and alot of confidence coming into Nippert!  I remember running on the field after the big upset win wilh my family and thousands of other fans celebrating the upset victory!  Now Brendon Kay, George "all I do is" Winn and Greg Blair and company get to try to experience "the magic" at the Nip one more time! We need our fans to fill the Nip!!  I heard there were going to be bowl scouts there from several bowls (including the Orange and Sugar) watching Rutgers and the Bearcats and taking in the experience of a Bearcat home game.  We need to "Come Early, Be Loud and Wear Black!!"  GO BEARCATS - BEAT RUTGERS!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/15/2012 12:00 PM

Re: My thoughts about Rutgers 



bearcatvol wrote:

I assume nobody is concerned that we have a quarterback in his second carrer start against arguably the best defense in our league.

I sure am.  But, thus far, he looks both competent and confident.  Let's hope being a senior, even though inexperienced in game action, softens the blow, so to speak.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/15/2012 12:12 PM

Re: My thoughts about Rutgers 



bearcatvol wrote:

I assume nobody is concerned that we have a quarterback in his second carrer start against arguably the best defense in our league.

Like Lemmi and you I assume, I am concerned too.

I like Brendon Kay, but I do not see the elite Tony Pike-like QB that others are seeing...yet.  I would assume he can expect to see a lot of different looks, blitzes and such.  Really threw us off our rails last year...and didn't think the coaches did much to help the situation with unbelievably predictable and conservative play calling.

Hope he has a great game...one to remember!  wink
Reply | Quote
  • Ragpicker
  • ON THE SIDELINES
  • Rating: 3.1/5 this site
  • 72 posts this site

Posted: 11/15/2012 12:35 PM

Re: My thoughts about Rutgers 



CardinalX3 wrote:
bearcatvol wrote:

I assume nobody is concerned that we have a quarterback in his second carrer start against arguably the best defense in our league.

Like Lemmi and you I assume, I am concerned too.

I like Brendon Kay, but I do not see the elite Tony Pike-like QB that others are seeing...yet.  I would assume he can expect to see a lot of different looks, blitzes and such.  Really threw us off our rails last year...and didn't think the coaches did much to help the situation with unbelievably predictable and conservative play calling.

Hope he has a great game...one to remember!  wink

Also concerned.  My question is will CBJ take Kay out if he performs poorly and put in Munchie?  And if he does, how will the UC faitful react?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/15/2012 1:39 PM

Re: My thoughts about Rutgers 



Ragpicker wrote:
CardinalX3 wrote:
bearcatvol wrote:

I assume nobody is concerned that we have a quarterback in his second carrer start against arguably the best defense in our league.

Like Lemmi and you I assume, I am concerned too.

I like Brendon Kay, but I do not see the elite Tony Pike-like QB that others are seeing...yet.  I would assume he can expect to see a lot of different looks, blitzes and such.  Really threw us off our rails last year...and didn't think the coaches did much to help the situation with unbelievably predictable and conservative play calling.

Hope he has a great game...one to remember!  wink

Also concerned.  My question is will CBJ take Kay out if he performs poorly and put in Munchie?  And if he does, how will the UC faitful react?

The faithful will react just fine.
The others.....
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/15/2012 4:34 PM

RE: My thoughts about Rutgers 


If your leash is that quick with Kay then what was the point of making the change. Munchie isnt any better today than he was two weeks ago when he was anchoring an offense. Rutgers is going to try to force us to throw and we've seen Munchie in that scenario. I will lustily boo if Kay is pulled and the new QB is the same as the old QB.. and I do consider myself part of the faithful.

I am concerned about how the blitz will affect Kay since i didnt think his pocket presence was all that good last week against Temple. However, I'd rather ride a tough situation out with him one time. I already rode two out with Munchie against far inferior defenses than this one.

As a point of clarification, i would be booing the coaching decision not the kid.  I know this board is very sensitive.wink

Last edited 11/15/2012 4:35 PM by eerodynamic

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/15/2012 5:59 PM

RE: My thoughts about Rutgers 



eerodynamic wrote: If your leash is that quick with Kay then what was the point of making the change. Munchie isnt any better today than he was two weeks ago when he was anchoring an offense.
Again I had no idea that Munchie was the only guy who had anything to do with the offenses' issues.
That terrible offense scored 34 points a game with a QB that has an 8-3 record as a starter.
Could it have been better? Heck yes....

(not your post) But some of the things I have seen, heard and read disturb me on a level that goes way beyond football.

I'm rooting for Kay because I am a UC fan.... I think the coaching staff made the right move at the time.
But I'm also sick of some of the folks who feel the need to dump on a kid who did the best he could for UC.

Last edited 11/15/2012 6:00 PM by bearcatvol

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/15/2012 6:10 PM

RE: My thoughts about Rutgers 


I agree, ive seen alot of comments on Munchie that are way out of line. For me its simply mechanics, unfortunately thats enough to kill drives, miss open receivers, and turn the ball over. Its not about effort on or off the field. But thats why a change back would make no sense to me since nothing in terms of mechanics has changed.

Points and record look solid on the surface but he led an offense that left a ton of points on the board with poor throws and bad turnovers. And while the record is good, the teams he beat are not exactly a murderers row. I love to take the Ws each week but poor wins are an outlier for later losses against quality teams and cannot be ignored.

Munchie Wins
2011
Syracuse 5-7 (1-6)
Uconn 5-7 (3-4)
2012
Fordham
Delaware St
Miami
VT
Pitt

Im rooting for whoever is in there but i think a change back to Munchie would be a poor coaching decision.

Last edited 11/15/2012 6:11 PM by eerodynamic

Reply | Quote
  • bduckens
  • BCI HALL OF FAME
  • Rating: 3.5/5 this site
  • 1077 posts this site

Posted: 11/15/2012 8:03 PM

RE: My thoughts about Rutgers 


The bottom line is this and Im going to answer a few concerns that were voiced on here recently. Munchie is not a bad QB, I just think his mechanics remind me of Vince Young or maybe Terrell Pryor. All gifted athletes but were never taught how to read defenses or adjust to what they saw on the field. Now is that Munchie's fault? Probably not and maybe some of it is but thats not the point. The point in todays game on any and every level is can you get the job done? If the answer is yes you are my starter if the answer is no then you will get benched and lose your job. I hate to make it sound so cut and dry but it is what it is and there is no gray area there.

As college athletes on the highest level and stage we have an obligation not only to the university, the fans that pay to see us, the students and to our families and friends to perform and if you are out there to also produce. That is what you practice for and that is what you earned a scholarship for, your athletic ability. Now we all know the name of the game is winning and fans put so much pressure on coaches to produce that result because of the money that is being paid to them. So in the effort to save his job or scrutiny he has to make decisions that are best for the team. Munchie would still be the QB had it not been for all the untimely INT's that he has thrown but because UC has always succeeded with a QB that knows how to manage the game without mistakes, he was benched in favor of Kay.

Second, I know many fans are nervous about Kay making only his second start against the Rutgers defense but here is why I think he will be fine. Last year Rutgers knew that Munchie was going to be rattled. It was his first start, it was on the road and the offense really didnt have any cohesion with him in the pocket. Without the ability to pass the ball Rutgers constantly blitzed Munchie and he wasnt able to respond. Kay is a good passer and he got his feet wet last week on the road. Now you bring him home in a big game in his second start and he seems more confident, the team believes in him and its going to make it harder to shake a kid who is not playing in a hostile environment. The fear that RU should have is that they only have one game to actually evaluate Kay so they cant forecast his tendancies or weaknesses. Or I could be absolutely wrong and Kay could have the worst game of his life and fail but that is football.

Lastly, people need to stop getting so worked up about players being booed. I was booed plenty of times during my first three years at UC and alot of it was well deserved. Now even though people dont know how much effort athletes put in to prepare for a game, they only want to see positive results. Thats why you come to the games and thats why you pay your money, to see the team win! None of its personal in my eyes and I dont think players should take it personal, it just comes along with the responsibility of being a college athlete.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/15/2012 9:51 PM

RE: My thoughts about Rutgers Post Rating (1 vote)




---------------------------------------------
--- eerodynamic wrote:

I agree, ive seen alot of comments on Munchie that are way out of line. For me its simply mechanics, unfortunately thats enough to kill drives, miss open receivers, and turn the ball over. Its not about effort on or off the field. But thats why a change back would make no sense to me since nothing in terms of mechanics has changed.

Points and record look solid on the surface but he led an offense that left a ton of points on the board with poor throws and bad turnovers. And while the record is good, the teams he beat are not exactly a murderers row. I love to take the Ws each week but poor wins are an outlier for later losses against quality teams and cannot be ignored.

Munchie Wins
2011
Syracuse 5-7 (1-6)
Uconn 5-7 (3-4)
2012
Fordham
Delaware St
Miami
VT
Pitt

Im rooting for whoever is in there but i think a change back to Munchie would be a poor coaching decision.

---------------------------------------------
The best college QB I have seen in years Tim Tebow had terrible mechanics.

The later losses were by a total of 9 points on the road in lousy weather against rankable teams.
Granted he made a very bad decision in overtime vs. Louisville.
Right after he led his team down the field with the wind and rain in his face a great drive for a young quarterback.
I'm just tired of reading the crap from people who don't want to give him any credit for he good things he did do.
If you went to DC and saw him battle in that hostile environment and manufacture that winning drive.
To this day I see people trying to explain that away like it was nothing.
Folks who do that I think ought to look in he mirror because its you that has a problem.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >