Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

BCS Playoff/Bowls Access

Posted: 11/12/2012 4:45 PM

BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 


It looks like the decisions have been made.
Good news- We have realistic access.
Bad news- There is a real split between who gets the money.
Good news- We get a team in one of the "six" big Bowls or the 4 team playoff it narows that gap a lot.
Bad news- People are trying to call us one of the 5 smaller conferences.
Good news- We aren't. 


http://www.cbssports.com/colle...ools-in-playoff

Last edited 11/12/2012 5:09 PM by bearcatvol

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/12/2012 5:14 PM

RE: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 


I'm disappointed in the "money" thing, but I really wasn't expecting a homerun on that front. I kind of file this under "I'm glad it wasn't worse."
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/12/2012 5:27 PM

RE: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 



UCLemmiwinks wrote: I'm disappointed in the "money" thing, but I really wasn't expecting a homerun on that front. I kind of file this under "I'm glad it wasn't worse."

I think this was Aresco's first Battle of Marathon moment.
He was surrounded on all sides by forces trying to kill us.
And some how came out alive, knicked a bit... but still alive.

For those of you who aren't history buffs... about 9,000 Greeks/Athenians defeated a force of over 30,000 Persians.... arguably the greatest fighting force in the world at the time.
The victory happened at the infancy of Ancient Greece as a rising power and really the birthplace of Western Civilization.

Lose that battle, the entire world is different forever.

A touch dramatic I guess.... but right or wrong our Big East a**es were against the wall.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/12/2012 5:49 PM

RE: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 


"As independents, Army and BYU are the only FBS schools that will not have access to their own guaranteed bowls spots. The schools will be automatic if they finish in the top four and can be selected for a playoff by a selection committee if they finish in the top 12."

Think this might make BYU rethink the whole independent thing?
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/12/2012 5:51 PM

RE: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 


Truthfully, it makes me sick. Gotta work hard to go to Big 12.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/12/2012 5:54 PM

RE: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 



CardinalX3 wrote: Truthfully, it makes me sick. Gotta work hard to go to Big 12.

While I agree with you, there is an upside.
We STILL have a much better path to the BCS and National Championship than do any of the teams that just left the league.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/12/2012 6:23 PM

RE: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 


Yeah, you are right. But it makes me sick to see the ACC considered one of the big 5. And it makes me sick to see Cuse and Pitt taken from the near bottom of our league to such lofty status.

Go West Bearcats!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/12/2012 6:27 PM

RE: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 


Agree with respect to W. Va.  The Mountaineers will have tough sledding getting by Texas, Oklahoma, KSU, etc.  On the other hand, Syracuse and Pitt may well have no more difficulty in the ACC then they did in the BEast.  Of the original ACC only Clemson (& maybe NC St., you have to go back a long way to get to consistently nationally outstanding Maryland teams) has a history relating to football (as opposed to basketball).  The newbies, Like Va. Tech, Fl St. and Miami have historically been better - the basic reason the ACC went after them - but none have the really storied programs of some of the remaining Big 12 schools.  It annoys the hel_ out of me that the ACC, simply because of its tie to the Orange Bowl, gets to be considered  one of the "great" football conferences, and we don't!
bearcatvol wrote:
CardinalX3 wrote: Truthfully, it makes me sick. Gotta work hard to go to Big 12.

While I agree with you, there is an upside.
We STILL have a much better path to the BCS and National Championship than do any of the teams that just left the league.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/12/2012 7:04 PM

RE: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access Post Rating (2 votes)


Not happenning. 1)the Big 12 does not want UC 2) UC does not want the Big 12. Pres Ono tweeted today he wonders if 4 loss in a row WVU regrets their decision to leave the Big East.

---------------------------------------------
--- CardinalX3 wrote:

Truthfully, it makes me sick. Gotta work hard to go to Big 12.

---------------------------------------------
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/12/2012 7:22 PM

RE: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 



ronbcat wrote: Not happenning. 1)the Big 12 does not want UC 2) UC does not want the Big 12. Pres Ono tweeted today he wonders if 4 loss in a row WVU regrets their decision to leave the Big East.

---------------------------------------------
--- CardinalX3 wrote:

Truthfully, it makes me sick. Gotta work hard to go to Big 12.

---------------------------------------------
The answer to that tweet is "no"
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/12/2012 8:24 PM

RE: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 




---------------------------------------------
--- Ghostdad wrote:


ronbcat wrote: Not happenning. 1)the Big 12 does not want UC 2) UC does not want the Big 12. Pres Ono tweeted today he wonders if 4 loss in a row WVU regrets their decision to leave the Big East.

---------------------------------------------
--- CardinalX3 wrote:

Truthfully, it makes me sick. Gotta work hard to go to Big 12.

---------------------------------------------
The answer to that tweet is "no"

---------------------------------------------
Yep.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/12/2012 10:40 PM

Re: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 


Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/12/2012 11:32 PM

RE: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 



Rossini wrote: Agree with respect to W. Va.  The Mountaineers will have tough sledding getting by Texas, Oklahoma, KSU, etc.  On the other hand, Syracuse and Pitt may well have no more difficulty in the ACC then they did in the BEast.  Of the original ACC only Clemson (& maybe NC St., you have to go back a long way to get to consistently nationally outstanding Maryland teams) has a history relating to football (as opposed to basketball).  The newbies, Like Va. Tech, Fl St. and Miami have historically been better - the basic reason the ACC went after them - but none have the really storied programs of some of the remaining Big 12 schools.  It annoys the hel_ out of me that the ACC, simply because of its tie to the Orange Bowl, gets to be considered  one of the "great" football conferences, and we don't!
bearcatvol wrote:
CardinalX3 wrote: Truthfully, it makes me sick. Gotta work hard to go to Big 12.

While I agree with you, there is an upside.
We STILL have a much better path to the BCS and National Championship than do any of the teams that just left the league.

IMO Pitt and Syracuse are in a much better situation than WVU.   They will likely go into the ACC next year and compete wheras WVU has some work to do.  Look at the ACC Divisions.   With some teams ineligible for the post season and w/ Virginia Tech being down, it is not stretching it  in seeing Pitt with a chance of winning the Coastal Division.  Syracuse likely is no worse than the 4th best team in the Atlantic and if some bounces go their way could finish higher.

Atlantic Division
Boston College Eagles
Clemson Tigers
Florida St. Seminoles
Maryland Terrapins
N.C. State Wolfpack
Syracuse Orange
Wake Forest Demon Deacons

Coastal Division
Duke Blue Devils
Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets
Miami Hurricanes
North Carolina Tar Heels
Pittsburgh Panthers
Virginia Cavaliers
Virginia Tech Hokies

Last edited 11/12/2012 11:33 PM by CliftonAve

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/12/2012 11:38 PM

RE: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 



CardinalX3 wrote: Yeah, you are right. But it makes me sick to see the ACC considered one of the big 5. And it makes me sick to see Cuse and Pitt taken from the near bottom of our league to such lofty status.

Go West Bearcats!

Agreed.  I can't think of any any other time in all of my years playing and watching competitive sports where one can justify taking the team with the least amount of wins in a particular conference over a period of time (Syracuse) and saying they are better than a team that has won the second most games during the same time period (Cincinnati).
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/13/2012 7:10 AM

Re: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access Post Rating (2 votes)


Let's see....12 Bowl Games...23 Teams from Big 10..Pac something..acc...(the old big east)..sec..(the cheaters conf..)....and the piggy 12...or is it 10.....ONE (BEST) TEAM FROM THE BIG EAST, MWC, C-USA.MAC, SUN BELT......combo....so if there are TWO teams better than the TOP Five..only one Goes....GET THOSE LAWYERS..............Who negotiated THAT DEAL...?????............banghead
Reply | Quote
  • Ragpicker
  • ON THE SIDELINES
  • Rating: 3.1/5 this site
  • 72 posts this site

Posted: 11/13/2012 12:53 PM

Re: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access Post Rating (2 votes)


Could care less about perception.  Never worried about others' opinions in life and sure as hell not starting to care about it now regarding UC football.

Anyone think that WVU, Syracuse, or Pitt will make one of the six bowls in 2014?  2015?  2016?  Anyone think that the Big East champ won't make one of the six bowls during those years?  Anyone believe UC has less than a 50% chance of winning the Big East during the same period?

UC is in far better position than those teams that jumped ship.  And now it gives the Cats a competitive advantage recruiting over Indiana, UK, BC, Illinois, Purdue, and those mentioned above because the recruit has better access to those bowls by playing at Cincinnati.

Last edited 11/13/2012 12:54 PM by Ragpicker

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/13/2012 3:02 PM

Re: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 



Ragpicker wrote: Could care less about perception.  Never worried about others' opinions in life and sure as hell not starting to care about it now regarding UC football.

Anyone think that WVU, Syracuse, or Pitt will make one of the six bowls in 2014?  2015?  2016?  Anyone think that the Big East champ won't make one of the six bowls during those years?  Anyone believe UC has less than a 50% chance of winning the Big East during the same period?

UC is in far better position than those teams that jumped ship.  And now it gives the Cats a competitive advantage recruiting over Indiana, UK, BC, Illinois, Purdue, and those mentioned above because the recruit has better access to those bowls by playing at Cincinnati.
In an absolute sense, I don't care about perception either.  At least not when it relates to my neighbor or office friend.

But the truth is, 'perception' brings in better recruits, creates higher potential a better football team, adds $$ in TV revenue, puts more fans in the seats on game day and gives us a shot to improve our stadium.

We are 'big-time'...sort of.  We have potential to be 'big-time'...completely.

In addition...when we first joined the Big East it seemed far-fetched to imagine winning the league (let alone 3 out of 4 years).  Upgrading leagues has already paid huge benefits in all of the things I listed above.

You don't join a better league with the realistic expectations of immediately winning it...but with the expectation you can do even better than you are now in a little bit of time.  WVU and TCU had the right idea...they will improve and have better access over time than a Big East team.  Pitt and Cuse...not much change most likely.

IMO, we want to improve our perception...go to a better league...upgrade everything from stadium to fanbase to TV $$ to recruits to coaches who will stay.  All of that may require the next big step.  We've already shown with the move from CUSA to the Big East that we have much room to grow.  Rather than sit back in what we presently perceive to be a comfy place with an easier path to big bowl games (uh oh, there's that word related to 'perception')...lets take the next logical step and go to the really big time.

Go West Bearcats!

Last edited 11/13/2012 3:03 PM by CardinalX3

Reply | Quote
  • Ragpicker
  • ON THE SIDELINES
  • Rating: 3.1/5 this site
  • 72 posts this site

Posted: 11/13/2012 4:52 PM

Re: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 



CardinalX3 wrote:

You don't join a better league with the realistic expectations of immediately winning it...but with the expectation you can do even better than you are now in a little bit of time. 

Go West Bearcats!

Good thing WVU has no realistic expectations of winning their league.  Because they certainly won't for many years.  Wonder how the hoopies will feel about that after a few years?  I was just in the Mountain state on business, and many are already calling for Dana's head.

"Go West Bearcats!"  Couldn't disagree more.  WVU took that step out of panic and will not see one of the six major bowl games for many years.  Quite simply, UC will.  Maybe even this year.  Next year looks good also, as well as the foreseeable future.

And UC's coaching staff will sing that tune in every living room they visit.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/13/2012 5:10 PM

Re: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 


Fair enough.  I respect your viewpoint...I genuinely do.

But I don't believe Nippert will ever fill up regularly with the pseudo-CUSA opponent I saw on tape from Saturday.  Temple, Memphis, Houston, SMU, UCF, USF...even UConn...will likely never fill that stadium up unless they make gigantic leaps forward.

We can enjoy some 'easy path' all we want (BTW, your view was shared with some UC officials who visited my office in the last 2 years)...but it won't sell in Cincinnati.  Not at the level our coach and some others wanna see.

We CAN be like a lot of the big boys...if we're willing to take some risk and make some investment.

Last edited 11/13/2012 6:33 PM by CardinalX3

Reply | Quote
  • Ragpicker
  • ON THE SIDELINES
  • Rating: 3.1/5 this site
  • 72 posts this site

Posted: 11/13/2012 5:30 PM

Re: BCS Playoff/Bowls Access 



CardinalX3 wrote:
But I don't believe Nippert will never fill up regularly with the pseudo-CUSA opponent I saw on tape from Saturday.  Temple, Memphis, Houston, SMU, UCF, USF...even UConn...will likely never fill that stadium up unless they make gigantic leaps forward.
Agreed, the opponents from the new-BE, or for that matter, the old-BE do not fill Nippert Stadium.  You are right, that alone will not work in Cincinnati.  As my good friend bearcatvol knows, I am adamant that UC Athletics must make each home game an EVENT to sell tickets.  Simply announcing that "Hey, we are playing Syracuse this week and we are offering cheap tickets" does not cut it.

'Event making' will bring in the casual fans.  I'm convinced of that when I witnessed 30,000 UC fans take over the French Quarter with cheers of Down the Drive from one end of Bourbon Street to the other. My best Homecoming experience ever was some 1,000 miles from Clifton in South Beach where I saw many friends and even Professors from my days at UC.  I see how the stadium fills up for a big Thursday night game on ESPN.  And I remember the huge crowds of Bearcat fans that showed up for Oklahoma and that tattoo parlor from Columbus.  All of these are EVENTS.

Yet, it seems like our Athletic Department has the 7 home games sneak up on them each week with little promotion, and often weekly changes to tailgating and parking plans.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >