Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >

Butch Jones comments

Posted: 11/7/2012 10:29 AM

Butch Jones comments Post Rating (7 votes)


Butch Jones comments in today's Enquirer are very like the comments of Mark Dantonio and Brian Kelly before they headed else where.

Complained about only 26,000 at Nippert on Saturday for Syracuse. Problem number one is that Nippert is out of date and very inconvenient. All games should be moved to the first class Paul Brown Stadium where parking, seats, concessions, restrooms, etc. are first rate and convenient for all.

Both games at PBS during the 2011 season had attendance over 40,000, Oklahoma drew 58,000 in 2010.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/7/2012 1:25 PM

Re: Butch Jones comments 



Pretty amazing the Yokels are content with the Bengals eternal medicority and a boring baseball team. Maybe Cincinnati (as a city) isn't so great afterall.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/7/2012 1:44 PM

RE: Butch Jones comments 


Its pretty irrelevant to compare a Syracuse game to UL WVU and Oklahoma games isnt it?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/7/2012 3:00 PM

Re: Butch Jones comments 


Yea....Baby.....!!!!         cool
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/7/2012 3:32 PM

Re: Butch Jones comments 


Only 26,000.  Problem one was the two straight losses.  Problem two was the weather.  Problem three was the opponent.  Problem four was the kick off time.  Do you really believe that game (Syracuse, noon kick off, cold wet day, coming off two straight losses) at PBS would sell enough tickets (40,000+) to justify the move?  A 54% bump?  If you do, You're insane.

Yes, I love the game experience at Nippert.  I don't think it is inconvenient at all.  I would be for moving to PBS IF the opponent warranted it.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/7/2012 6:41 PM

RE: Butch Jones comments Post Rating (2 votes)


Actually, you would need about 55K to make money, it has been said. So that would imply a 100-plus% bump.

Tell you what Ronnie, since you love PBS so much, why don't you go down there, and try to talk Ebeneezer Brown into giving us a good deal on the usage. Then let us know how that works out.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/7/2012 10:42 PM

RE: Butch Jones comments 


Winks, I'm with you on this. There is no real way to have a consistently profitable enterprise at PBS. In addition, the cozy environment at Nippert is what makes the experience collegiate. However, the PA man boldly announcing every first down is stupid. I also hate the constant piped in music. I feel this detracts from the experience of the college game. Call me old fashioned but that is why they have the bands.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/7/2012 11:19 PM

RE: Butch Jones comments 


Yes, like me you are old fashioned.  I don't like it either, but the younger generation loves it and thats what its all about.

Nippert is a great game-day atmosphere.  All of our efforts need to be in creating more revenue there.

Last edited 11/8/2012 8:36 AM by CardinalX3

Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/8/2012 7:00 AM

RE: Butch Jones comments 



CardinalX3 wrote: Yes, like my you are old fashioned.  I don't like it either, but the younger generation loves it and thats what its all about.

I guess I have several problems with this.  First, the younger generation aren't the ones contributing thousands of dollars a year to support the program.  Second, I see lots of "older" folks in the stadium, so why do they get tossed aside?  Third, part of our problem is that we're getting people there for every reason BUT to watch the team, and that's why at the first sign of trouble, they head off to something else.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/8/2012 9:19 AM

RE: Butch Jones comments 



CardinalX3 wrote: Yes, like me you are old fashioned.  I don't like it either, but the younger generation loves it and thats what its all about.

Nippert is a great game-day atmosphere.  All of our efforts need to be in creating more revenue there.

Its always tragic when I agree with Whippi.... and I understand your point.  But I wish they could split the difference somehow.
I hate it when the band starts playing and they pipe in stuff over the top of them.
I sometimes make fun of bands  in general... but seriously can the DJ just look out the window from time to time and see if the band is playing before we get to hear the latest rap song about strippers and ho'es. (there is a differencerolleyes)
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/8/2012 11:13 AM

Re: Butch Jones comments 


Agreed - I love it when the band plays "Hey! Baby" - just love it! And all the other classics too - just hearing the band (and the trumpets) gets me all jazzed up for College football! If you want rap - go to a bengals game I guess
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/8/2012 12:49 PM

Re: Butch Jones comments Post Rating (1 vote)



ronbcat wrote: Butch Jones comments in today's Enquirer are very like the comments of Mark Dantonio and Brian Kelly before they headed else where.

Complained about only 26,000 at Nippert on Saturday for Syracuse. Problem number one is that Nippert is out of date and very inconvenient. All games should be moved to the first class Paul Brown Stadium where parking, seats, concessions, restrooms, etc. are first rate and convenient for all.

Both games at PBS during the 2011 season had attendance over 40,000, Oklahoma drew 58,000 in 2010.
Ron,

Once again you have lowered the collective IQ of this board with your post.

The largest single reason people attend college football games is the chance to return to the college they attended. We walk across campus, show it off to our kids and tell varying degrees of truthful stories about our experiences at school.  I have a 15 year old playing football on a good suburban Chicago team and he didn't like attending games at PBS.  He thinks Nippert is  about the coolest place in the world for a football game and he has been to South Bend, Madison, Northwestern and Illinois for games.

PBS may impress you but as a Chicago guy I find it little more than a concrete turd by the river.  Its silly expensive to attend a game there and I will not swing a 10 hour round trip to enrich a creep like Mike Brown.  By the way, they skimped on the number of restrooms to save money.

Of the games you mentioned, only Oklahoma made a significantly larger amount of money than UC playing at Nippert would have made.  Personally I will never forgive UC for moving Homecoming to PBS.  It was a disaster both on the field, we nearly lost, and financially.  We lost a game to West Virginia UC was likely to win at Nippert.  The home, read Nippert, schedule was gutted by moving those games downtown.

While I'm not optimistic, perhaps this enlightens your  perspective.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/8/2012 2:24 PM

Re: Butch Jones comments Post Rating (2 votes)


Nippert makes UC non competitive financially. U of L, UC's main competition, is averaging 52,000 a game this season. Nippert has no luxury boxes, no club seats. Parking, concessions, and restrooms are inadequate for crowds exceeding 25,000 at Nippert. People stay away from games at Nippert for these reasons.

It does not make fiscal sense to spend $150 million or so to add 10,000 seats to Nippert when a first class NFL stadium sits 3 miles from campus. 
bearcat69 wrote:
ronbcat wrote: Butch Jones comments in today's Enquirer are very like the comments of Mark Dantonio and Brian Kelly before they headed else where.

Complained about only 26,000 at Nippert on Saturday for Syracuse. Problem number one is that Nippert is out of date and very inconvenient. All games should be moved to the first class Paul Brown Stadium where parking, seats, concessions, restrooms, etc. are first rate and convenient for all.

Both games at PBS during the 2011 season had attendance over 40,000, Oklahoma drew 58,000 in 2010.
Ron,

Once again you have lowered the collective IQ of this board with your post.

The largest single reason people attend college football games is the chance to return to the college they attended. We walk across campus, show it off to our kids and tell varying degrees of truthful stories about our experiences at school.  I have a 15 year old playing football on a good suburban Chicago team and he didn't like attending games at PBS.  He thinks Nippert is  about the coolest place in the world for a football game and he has been to South Bend, Madison, Northwestern and Illinois for games.

PBS may impress you but as a Chicago guy I find it little more than a concrete turd by the river.  Its silly expensive to attend a game there and I will not swing a 10 hour round trip to enrich a creep like Mike Brown.  By the way, they skimped on the number of restrooms to save money.

Of the games you mentioned, only Oklahoma made a significantly larger amount of money than UC playing at Nippert would have made.  Personally I will never forgive UC for moving Homecoming to PBS.  It was a disaster both on the field, we nearly lost, and financially.  We lost a game to West Virginia UC was likely to win at Nippert.  The home, read Nippert, schedule was gutted by moving those games downtown.

While I'm not optimistic, perhaps this enlightens your  perspective.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/8/2012 3:01 PM

Re: Butch Jones comments 


I disagree for a couple reasons - 1) I think that same line of reasoning is what caused Pitt to leave their on campus stadium...and their program has not been the same ever since; 2) The luxury of having an on campus stadium allows for what Butch Jones coined as a "4 hour commercial for the University of Cincinnati." Having games at PBS does little for the showcasing of the University, our programs, or our beautiful varsity village.

Whit - if you read these boards - make sure you figure out a way to keep Nippert our jewel of a stadium, update the seating, and expand it when the time comes. Please, please, please STAY AWAY FROM PBS!


Now if only we could increase our UCats membership by another 50,000....
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/8/2012 3:18 PM

RE: Butch Jones comments 


Ron, like I said before. Crunch the numbers. Let us know the MINIMUM required crowd that will bring us a bump in revenue.

MB will charge us however much he wants, to the point where our profits are completely squeezed, or worse. That is pretty much why we are doing away with the idea of PBS.

If they want to draw up a new lease, with a co-tenancy, fine. But other than that, we're waiting until 2026 (I think that is when the Bungles lease expires).
Reply | Quote
  • kirwenaj
  • BCI SCOUT TEAM
  • Rating: 3.1/5 this site
  • 146 posts this site

Posted: 11/9/2012 8:49 AM

Re: Butch Jones comments 



jerjharris wrote: Only 26,000.  Problem one was the two straight losses.  Problem two was the weather.  Problem three was the opponent.  Problem four was the kick off time.  Do you really believe that game (Syracuse, noon kick off, cold wet day, coming off two straight losses) at PBS would sell enough tickets (40,000+) to justify the move?  A 54% bump?  If you do, You're insane.

Yes, I love the game experience at Nippert.  I don't think it is inconvenient at all.  I would be for moving to PBS IF the opponent warranted it.
I'd like to believe that this Syracuse game was just a perfect storm, and not the norm. Our tailgate lot was just as full as its been all year, but half the lot walked to the bar rather than the game based on the incoming storms. Add in coming off two deflating losses and a noon kickoff, and it wasn't a recipe for an excited fan base.

I was more surprised about the amount of people that left at halftime in a close game. I'm sure this was due to the slow/sloppy play, long breaks for challenges, etc., but when I make an effort to go to a game, I dont leave until its decided, so doesnt make sense to me.

Even with a crowd like that, the home field advantage we get playing at Nippert is 5x what we get at PBS. I wouldn't schedule another game there unless we have a reasonable chance of selling it out (with bearcat fans).
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/9/2012 9:51 AM

Re: Butch Jones comments 


The number is not $150M to renovate Nippert (to include luxury boxes, loge seating, etc.).  Get it together Ron.  

And this came straight from the Prez!  Cut your number in half Ron and you're close.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/9/2012 9:58 AM

Re: Butch Jones comments 



Gobearcats25 wrote: The number is not $150M to renovate Nippert (to include luxury boxes, loge seating, etc.).  Get it together Ron.  

And this came straight from the Prez!  Cut your number in half Ron and you're close.

Really my guess is the first move anyway will be to re-do the press box and expand to include more club/box type seating.
Not additional non-prime seating.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 11/9/2012 10:01 AM

RE: Butch Jones comments Post Rating (2 votes)


We play at Lincoln Financial Field, about 5 miles from Temple's campus. It is the best stadium I have ever been to. Great amenities, easy parking or public transportation, etc... That said, a crowd of 27,000 looks lost in a 72K seat stadium. We have a lot more to overcome than Cincinnati in terms of FB success, but at 33K per game, we barely fill the lower bowl. I think most Temple fans would rather have a 35K campus stadium and play a few big games (PSU, ND) at the pro stadium. Unfortunately there is no acreage on campus to allow it to happen. If I were you, I stay where you are, improve the stadium if necessary, and use the pro stadium for special games where the draw will be big.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 11/9/2012 10:07 AM

RE: Butch Jones comments 


^Hit the nail on the head.

Listen to this guy, Ron.
Reply | Quote
Reply to TopicPost New Topic
  Page of 2  Next >