Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

My thoughts about the Louisville game

  • bduckens
  • BCI HALL OF FAME
  • Rating: 3.5/5 this site
  • 1077 posts this site

Posted: 10/29/2012 4:40 PM

My thoughts about the Louisville game 


Okay after another gut wrenching loss this time to conference rival Louisville, its time to take the gloves off to give my thoughts about what happened.

First this was a game of momentum, mistakes and bad calls. Munchie probably made one of the biggest mistakes before the game started and that is by providing bulletin board material for the favored Cards. Now, Munchie's comments about Bridgewater may have been taken out of context and maybe he didnt intend to say what came out but as a leader you never want to say anything bad about your opponent before a game. Let your play do the talking and even if you feel you are better than Teddy then keep it to yourself or amongst your teammates. What he should have said that would have gone over better would have been that he probably feels he is better than any QB he goes against because he is confident in his abilities but he does some things better than me and I do some things better than him. Or he could have downplayed the question or could have just said that Bridgewater is better than him.

All of those responses would have worked and as a leader the team is following your direction and attitude so in the future just keep quiet about your opponent if you are going to say something negative. Next, the interceptions that Munchie is throwing are getting on my nerves and also killing UC. As each game goes on there should be a maturation process that we should be seeing. He has had enough game experience to know what throws to make and what throws he shouldnt make. Constant interceptions are a sign that you are not studying film hard enough, you are rattled in the pocket, or you just dont know what you are seeing on the field. Regardless of the problem its time to put up or shut up and if this continues, CBJ needs to turn the offense over to another QB that can manage the game better. If Munchie can manage the game better without the mistakes, this team is 7-0. His play right now reminds me of BJ Daniels from USF, a talented runner and play maker but mistakes kill anything that he does positive.

Now Im not bashing Munchie but if you are the leader of this team play like it and stop killing your team with bad decisions and mistakes. UC has been very good over the last few years because of solid QB play and like CBJ stated this team has a small margin for error if they want to win games. Okay Im done with that now back to the game with UL.

I knew this was going to be a tight back and forth game but UC blew two chances to increase their 10-point lead and it would have been over for UL but they didnt. There were also some bad calls including the interception by Drane that should have been reviewed and overturned but hey that happens. UL fans will say that the muffed punt should have been a safety but that was the correct call to make, read the rule book. The UC defense played okay but gave up too many big plays that let UL off the hook at times. All in all it was a very good game between two rivals and it came down to who made the least mistakes, UL made fewer and they won the game.

From here on out UC has no margin for error and they basically have to run the table if they want to have a shot at the BE title and a BCS bowl and that starts with Syracuse this Saturday. One more loss and UC is basically out of the conference race. UC still has Rutgers coming to Nippert so finishing with one loss can get you a share of title if UL doesnt run the table. We all know that if you finish second in this league then you are at the mercy of the bowls to pick you and UC could end up in St. Petersburg, or worst Birmingham again.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/29/2012 5:00 PM

Re: My thoughts about the Louisville game 



bduckens wrote: Okay after another gut wrenching loss this time to conference rival Louisville, its time to take the gloves off to give my thoughts about what happened.

First this was a game of momentum, mistakes and bad calls. Munchie probably made one of the biggest mistakes before the game started and that is by providing bulletin board material for the favored Cards. Now, Munchie's comments about Bridgewater may have been taken out of context and maybe he didnt intend to say what came out but as a leader you never want to say anything bad about your opponent before a game. Let your play do the talking and even if you feel you are better than Teddy then keep it to yourself or amongst your teammates. What he should have said that would have gone over better would have been that he probably feels he is better than any QB he goes against because he is confident in his abilities but he does some things better than me and I do some things better than him. Or he could have downplayed the question or could have just said that Bridgewater is better than him.

All of those responses would have worked and as a leader the team is following your direction and attitude so in the future just keep quiet about your opponent if you are going to say something negative. Next, the interceptions that Munchie is throwing are getting on my nerves and also killing UC. As each game goes on there should be a maturation process that we should be seeing. He has had enough game experience to know what throws to make and what throws he shouldnt make. Constant interceptions are a sign that you are not studying film hard enough, you are rattled in the pocket, or you just dont know what you are seeing on the field. Regardless of the problem its time to put up or shut up and if this continues, CBJ needs to turn the offense over to another QB that can manage the game better. If Munchie can manage the game better without the mistakes, this team is 7-0. His play right now reminds me of BJ Daniels from USF, a talented runner and play maker but mistakes kill anything that he does positive.

Now Im not bashing Munchie but if you are the leader of this team play like it and stop killing your team with bad decisions and mistakes. UC has been very good over the last few years because of solid QB play and like CBJ stated this team has a small margin for error if they want to win games. Okay Im done with that now back to the game with UL.

I knew this was going to be a tight back and forth game but UC blew two chances to increase their 10-point lead and it would have been over for UL but they didnt. There were also some bad calls including the interception by Drane that should have been reviewed and overturned but hey that happens. UL fans will say that the muffed punt should have been a safety but that was the correct call to make, read the rule book. The UC defense played okay but gave up too many big plays that let UL off the hook at times. All in all it was a very good game between two rivals and it came down to who made the least mistakes, UL made fewer and they won the game.

From here on out UC has no margin for error and they basically have to run the table if they want to have a shot at the BE title and a BCS bowl and that starts with Syracuse this Saturday. One more loss and UC is basically out of the conference race. UC still has Rutgers coming to Nippert so finishing with one loss can get you a share of title if UL doesnt run the table. We all know that if you finish second in this league then you are at the mercy of the bowls to pick you and UC could end up in St. Petersburg, or worst Birmingham again.
I think that's a fair assessment.  I won't look too hard on the refs, UC had plenty of chances to take the win and you have to worry about what you can control.

I am not sure about Munchie.  I think if they keep him as starter, they need to revisit the playcalling for him.  Simpler passes, zone reads, I don't know but some change must occur.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/29/2012 5:19 PM

Re: My thoughts about the Louisville game 


We can't get roasted for 525 yards and expect to win many games, I don't care who we are playing.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/29/2012 5:58 PM

Re: My thoughts about the Louisville game 


Duckman,
Agree with the assessment. Munchie has not been good all season. Period. If you look back at some of my early posts you will see I have been consistent in this opnion. he has had too many really bad games. I think for the year he has like 15 turnovers or fumbles.  As I have mentioned before, even when he runs he is a liability. ( all the way back to the WV game last year, when he fumbled in the end zone) He looks like a dominoes delivery man holding out the ball like a pizza.
So the question  is what to do.
Options.
1. try to control him with short play action passes
2. PLay Kay
3. play a freshman

All options have downside. All the rest of the teams will beat us if Munchie plays like he has. They are all too good and that includes Temple , and Ucon on the road. Rutgers will salivate at the chance to play him the way he is playing.

    Playing Kay is an unknown to me. unfortunately because  of the poor performance in the Delaware and Fordham games  Kay never got a chance to really play. All he did is hand off  at the end of the 4th period.  i have no idea how good or bad he is.

PLaying a freshman really would suck.  He would be facing the best teams we face all year long  and an entire year of eligibility used up for 3-4 games.
The wild card may be luallen. Can he throw the ball? it would be a hell of a running attack.

guesses as to what coaches do?
Reply | Quote
  • bduckens
  • BCI HALL OF FAME
  • Rating: 3.5/5 this site
  • 1077 posts this site

Posted: 10/29/2012 6:48 PM

Re: My thoughts about the Louisville game 



bearcatvol wrote: We can't get roasted for 525 yards and expect to win many games, I don't care who we are playing.
This is very true Vol but I can handle yards if you are not giving up big plays and TD's. Alot of teams can run up and down the field on you and if they cant score TD's and you limit the big plays then you can win. UC gave up some crucial big plays that led to UL scores and thats what hurt the Cats the most. Toledo had alot of yardage last week but UC only gave up five FG's, it was the 14 points they gave up on the INT return and KO return that killed them.
Reply | Quote
  • bduckens
  • BCI HALL OF FAME
  • Rating: 3.5/5 this site
  • 1077 posts this site

Posted: 10/29/2012 7:02 PM

Re: My thoughts about the Louisville game 



toothmark wrote: Duckman,
Agree with the assessment. Munchie has not been good all season. Period. If you look back at some of my early posts you will see I have been consistent in this opnion. he has had too many really bad games. I think for the year he has like 15 turnovers or fumbles.  As I have mentioned before, even when he runs he is a liability. ( all the way back to the WV game last year, when he fumbled in the end zone) He looks like a dominoes delivery man holding out the ball like a pizza.
So the question  is what to do.
Options.
1. try to control him with short play action passes
2. PLay Kay
3. play a freshman

All options have downside. All the rest of the teams will beat us if Munchie plays like he has. They are all too good and that includes Temple , and Ucon on the road. Rutgers will salivate at the chance to play him the way he is playing.

    Playing Kay is an unknown to me. unfortunately because  of the poor performance in the Delaware and Fordham games  Kay never got a chance to really play. All he did is hand off  at the end of the 4th period.  i have no idea how good or bad he is.

PLaying a freshman really would suck.  He would be facing the best teams we face all year long  and an entire year of eligibility used up for 3-4 games.
The wild card may be luallen. Can he throw the ball? it would be a hell of a running attack.

guesses as to what coaches do?
I think that bringing in Kay or Luellen at this point could help the Cats because I dont think that Munchie believes he can be replaced and that kind of thinking can make a player complacent and not hungry to perform. I remember last week when CBJ stated that Munchie took a step backwards in his development and Munchie said he didnt agree with that assessment. Now who is the coach and who is the player? CBJ is the evaluator of talent and if he says that then Munchie should agree even if he really doesnt because it should serve as motivation to right the ship. All of the fans including myself believe that assessment based off his performance but why doesnt Munchie believe that? We live in a results driven society and that is what you are ultimately judged by as an athlete, coach and anything you do so I think Munchie needs to point the finger right back at himself to figure out what he needs to do better to help this team win. Maybe they need to run him more and less passing, maybe the passing plays need to be quicker and shorter. Or maybe he needs the Vince Young type of offense at Texas where he rolled to one side of the field and if the WR was covered he ran if he wasnt he threw to him. This way he wouldnt have to read coverages!!!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/29/2012 9:00 PM

Re: My thoughts about the Louisville game 


absolutely Bob,
its painful because it again means that we are only using about 15% of our playbook, and are receivers were suppose to be one of the strengths of our game. The problem is also that munchie also has that Dominos pizza man way he holds the ball, every time he runs he scares the daylights out of me.. It also means that next year we are starting at ground zero again. 
I guess that is why coaches get paid the big bucks.
All I do know is Syracuse is coming to town with a ton of momentum, Nasib is passing the crap out of the ball, and if we commit turnovers were going to be fighting for bowl eligibility!
Reply | Quote
  • applegbt
  • BCI 2 DEEP
  • Rating: 3.2/5 this site
  • 237 posts this site

Posted: 10/30/2012 7:34 AM

Re: My thoughts about the Louisville game 


One other thing I would add is that I feel our coaching staff could have done a couple things to give us a better chance.  First, not sure I understand why they didn't challenge the interception.  They should have been all over that play, it was huge.  Second, why not use your timeouts to get one more crack at a score?  The weather was horrible, which makes it really hard on defenses, and punt coverage teams.  In my opinion there was at least a small chance that you could have made a big play and scored.  Why not go for it?
Reply | Quote
  • bduckens
  • BCI HALL OF FAME
  • Rating: 3.5/5 this site
  • 1077 posts this site

Posted: 10/30/2012 8:26 AM

Re: My thoughts about the Louisville game 



applegbt wrote: One other thing I would add is that I feel our coaching staff could have done a couple things to give us a better chance.  First, not sure I understand why they didn't challenge the interception.  They should have been all over that play, it was huge.  Second, why not use your timeouts to get one more crack at a score?  The weather was horrible, which makes it really hard on defenses, and punt coverage teams.  In my opinion there was at least a small chance that you could have made a big play and scored.  Why not go for it?
I agree I would have challenged the INT, that would have changed the outcome of the game. Maybe some coaches up top were telling CBJ not to but I would have anyway.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/30/2012 1:02 PM

Re: My thoughts about the Louisville game 



bduckens wrote:
I think that bringing in Kay or Luellen at this point could help the Cats because I dont think that Munchie believes he can be replaced and that kind of thinking can make a player complacent and not hungry to perform. I remember last week when CBJ stated that Munchie took a step backwards in his development and Munchie said he didnt agree with that assessment. Now who is the coach and who is the player? CBJ is the evaluator of talent and if he says that then Munchie should agree even if he really doesnt because it should serve as motivation to right the ship. All of the fans including myself believe that assessment based off his performance but why doesnt Munchie believe that? We live in a results driven society and that is what you are ultimately judged by as an athlete, coach and anything you do so I think Munchie needs to point the finger right back at himself to figure out what he needs to do better to help this team win. Maybe they need to run him more and less passing, maybe the passing plays need to be quicker and shorter. Or maybe he needs the Vince Young type of offense at Texas where he rolled to one side of the field and if the WR was covered he ran if he wasnt he threw to him. This way he wouldnt have to read coverages!!!
bob, you pointed out what seems to have gotten lost from munchie's quotes. if he had an issue with coach jones assesment of his play, the way to handle that is talk to the coach. not question the head coach in public.

i am hoping that munchie's poor judgement of last week is just a blip in the radar. it's not good for the program if that kind of thinking continues. i can't imagine coach jones was at all happy with it.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 10/30/2012 1:03 PM

Re: My thoughts about the Louisville game 



bduckens wrote:
applegbt wrote: One other thing I would add is that I feel our coaching staff could have done a couple things to give us a better chance.  First, not sure I understand why they didn't challenge the interception.  They should have been all over that play, it was huge.  Second, why not use your timeouts to get one more crack at a score?  The weather was horrible, which makes it really hard on defenses, and punt coverage teams.  In my opinion there was at least a small chance that you could have made a big play and scored.  Why not go for it?
I agree I would have challenged the INT, that would have changed the outcome of the game. Maybe some coaches up top were telling CBJ not to but I would have anyway.
i'm still surprised the refs over turned the call on the bobbled reception by ul in the back of the end zone. that seemed like a worse call than the drane play.
Reply | Quote