Free Trial Ad
Why Subscribe?
  • Player/Prospect News
  • Exclusive Insider Info
  • Members-Only Forums
  • Exclusive Videos
  • Subscribe Now!
InboxChat RoomChat Room (0 fans in chatroom)

We win!

Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 9:49 PM

We win! 


Some dicey FT shooting down the stretch, but a very nice 80-77 win for our guys.

Texas State at home up next.
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 9:52 PM

Re: We win! 


A bit ugly, but we'll take it!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/16/2012 10:04 PM

Re: We win! 


What we saw tonight is a "glimpse" of what we will expect from Keno's teams in the future! No post "presence" makes it a bit "out of character" for us, however. We should expect to shoot more like tonight in the future games. Let' hope Saylor and Buckley heal up soon and add to the team.

While Pepperdine is off to its best strat in five seasons, I believe the Chips caught them "off guard" with their hustle and accurate shooting.

Also, the Peperdine video of the game was great as the play-by-play person was very non-homer and credited the Chips with their good play, often. There were no breaks in the audio for "media breaks" and the play-by-play person game the CMU players' home towns, the Chips' future opponents, and other CMU facts. It was the most "classy" on the road play-by-play I have seen/heard in many seasons!

Fire Up Chips!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 10:06 PM

Re: We win! 



MktTimerChip wrote: A bit ugly, but we'll take it!
Ugly? the Ernnie Ziegler era was ugly...that was a thing of BEAUTY....this team has so much more talent and purpose than the last 4-5 years


     Forever....Fired Up !

Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/16/2012 10:16 PM

Re: We win! 



Perryshorts wrote:
MktTimerChip wrote: A bit ugly, but we'll take it!
Ugly? the Ernnie Ziegler era was ugly...that was a thing of BEAUTY....this team has so much more talent and purpose than the last 4-5 years
Much better coaching helps, too.
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/16/2012 10:16 PM

Re: We win! 


I cannot wait to see a10's "take" on the game as he was there in person!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/16/2012 10:18 PM

Re: We win! 


Agreed.   Whats the word A10?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/16/2012 11:03 PM

Re: We win! 


And with about four minutes to go, I think it was four, the play by play guy on the video said CMU has four freshmen and one senior on the floor.  Can you just imagine where we might be in a couple years?
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/17/2012 12:19 AM

Re: We win! 


OK fellas.  Yes, I was there with my wife and daughter.  Met Brandon Fricke, our former back up qb, and many very friendly Chips fans.  Radio broadcast man stopped by at halftime.  Spoke with one of our assistants prior to the game to drop off 8 dozen cookies, and met and congratulated coach Keno Davis shortly after the game.

We sat three rows up behind the CMU bench.  My general feeling is that we have something very special in the making.  This team believes in Coach Davis and his staff.  They believe in each other.  There is a strong bond forming on this team that is quite noticeable during timeouts.  These guys pull for each other, talk to each other constantly, and respect each others abilities.  It's a beautiful thing.

As for the game, the shots were falling.  Our point guards were tough to handle on the dribble drive.  Yes they got caught inside the lane a few times, but they also delivered much more often.  It was something to see guys taking it to the hole and making the Pepperdine coach go balisitic.  Loved watching the break being handled by quality point guards.  Simon was out on breaks, Keel was out on breaks, everybody ran the floor hard.

The most difficult thing for us was the play in the lane.  Pepperdine had a couple of big shouldered bodies that just muscled our guys.  Our freshmen had to battle hard and still got pushed around some, but they never gave up.  The press was bothersome for Pepperdine.  Our guards were quicker, smarter, and gave themselves up many times diving to the floor.
 
Watching coach adjust his guys in the press, working the officials, teaching, and immediately reacting to on-floor actions was impressive.  You need to attend home games and watch him and his coaches work.  It's great.  All the coaches and assistants know their roles and get it done asap.

I found it amazing watching this team play defense, at their ages, and yelling to each other all over the court.  They are young, smart, and help each other.  They are working the butts off against stronger, older players without the benefit of a year of college weight training. 

Coach Davis was extremely gracious after the game.  I thanked him for bringing home the win.  He smiled and stated the young guys are going to be something special.  He stated they really missed Saylor tonight.

Can't top those thoughts.

Fire Up Chips!
GRAB THE MARBLES!!
Reply | Quote
  • AJ0512
  • Member
  • 2585 posts this site

Posted: 12/17/2012 12:55 AM

RE: We win! 


I was not able to watch or listen to the game so I appreciate the comments a10. Really glad to see the guys fly all the way across the country and get a victory. I said to myself before the season started that I expected 5-6 wins this year and the Chips are already there. I continue to be impressed by the effort. I'll be at the Texas State game. Looking forward to it!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/17/2012 1:02 AM

RE: We win! 


Here's a link to the Pepperdine U post game article.  Their head coach stated "They were tougher than us."  Commented on our getting to loose balls and blocking out.  Also, stated that their 4 & 5 were shooting the three causing us match up problems.  We couldn't play our bigs.  Also stated that our point guards were much quicker then their's and caused problems with the dribble penetration.

http://www.pepperdinesports.co.../121612aaa.html

And yes, my wife, daughter and I are in the video about 4 rows up.  Sitting on my right was the mother of the teams graduate assistant.
GRAB THE MARBLES!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/17/2012 12:13 PM

RE: We win! 



a10koaksfed wrote: Here's a link to the Pepperdine U post game article.  Their head coach stated "They were tougher than us."  Commented on our getting to loose balls and blocking out.  Also, stated that their 4 & 5 were shooting the three causing us match up problems.  We couldn't play our bigs.  Also stated that our point guards were much quicker then their's and caused problems with the dribble penetration.

http://www.pepperdinesports.co.../121612aaa.html

And yes, my wife, daughter and I are in the video about 4 rows up.  Sitting on my right was the mother of the teams graduate assistant.
And there's the difference.  EZ and his staff told us how tough they were every chance they got, yet we never saw it on the floor.  Keno and his team don't going around talking about it, instead they actually do it.
___________________________________________

Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/17/2012 1:01 PM

RE: We win! 


I can't empasize enough how hard these players work on the floor.  They are a real joy to watch.  My wife, who doesn't get excited at athletic events, was up on her feet the last few minutes hollering "defense.  defense."  My daughter, who graduated from San Diego State (& is constantly telling me about their program) was yelling for the guys and enjoyed the game very much (although I still have to hear about their wins over UCLA and USC this year).

This program is really going to be special to watch.  Everyone needs to get to some games and watch in person.  They will excite you and put a smile on your face!
GRAB THE MARBLES!!
Reply | Quote
Avatar

Posted: 12/17/2012 6:25 PM

RE: We win! 


Sounds like you and your family had a great time a10. Visited the Pepperdine campus this past summer, what a site.



PROUD TO BE A CHIPPEWA
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/18/2012 9:39 PM

Re: We win! 



a10koaksfed wrote: OK fellas.  Yes, I was there with my wife and daughter.  Met Brandon Fricke, our former back up qb, and many very friendly Chips fans.  Radio broadcast man stopped by at halftime.  Spoke with one of our assistants prior to the game to drop off 8 dozen cookies, and met and congratulated coach Keno Davis shortly after the game.

We sat three rows up behind the CMU bench.  My general feeling is that we have something very special in the making.  This team believes in Coach Davis and his staff.  They believe in each other.  There is a strong bond forming on this team that is quite noticeable during timeouts.  These guys pull for each other, talk to each other constantly, and respect each others abilities.  It's a beautiful thing.

As for the game, the shots were falling.  Our point guards were tough to handle on the dribble drive.  Yes they got caught inside the lane a few times, but they also delivered much more often.  It was something to see guys taking it to the hole and making the Pepperdine coach go balisitic.  Loved watching the break being handled by quality point guards.  Simon was out on breaks, Keel was out on breaks, everybody ran the floor hard.

The most difficult thing for us was the play in the lane.  Pepperdine had a couple of big shouldered bodies that just muscled our guys.  Our freshmen had to battle hard and still got pushed around some, but they never gave up.  The press was bothersome for Pepperdine.  Our guards were quicker, smarter, and gave themselves up many times diving to the floor.
 
Watching coach adjust his guys in the press, working the officials, teaching, and immediately reacting to on-floor actions was impressive.  You need to attend home games and watch him and his coaches work.  It's great.  All the coaches and assistants know their roles and get it done asap.

I found it amazing watching this team play defense, at their ages, and yelling to each other all over the court.  They are young, smart, and help each other.  They are working the butts off against stronger, older players without the benefit of a year of college weight training. 

Coach Davis was extremely gracious after the game.  I thanked him for bringing home the win.  He smiled and stated the young guys are going to be something special.  He stated they really missed Saylor tonight.

Can't top those thoughts.

Fire Up Chips!
Great wrap up a10! It is great to fit a "summary" from someone who was there!
Reply | Quote

Posted: 12/18/2012 9:41 PM

Re: We win! 


thanks all.  I was so excited after watching that game.  I can see the quality of this man, combined with his coaching ability, taking this program way up.
GRAB THE MARBLES!!
Reply | Quote